Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So I'm coming back to this for the first time in a while. I climbed up to world level 3 pretty easily and I've got something like 480 birdbucks sitting around from 1.0. Is there any point in me buying some shiny new guns with that now, or should I just keep it parked until i'm at the end game stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lyer posted:

oh man, tonight is a shitshow for group stuff

I had zero problems during the weekday, but I'm running into some terrible pubs.

Tell me about it. Someone needs to teach the black magic of killing the medics rather than pumping rounds into enemies that are healing almost as fast as they're being damaged.

And then running out of anmo.

And then running PAST the medic to flank the heavy and shoot his back with a pistol.

:ughh:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Busting cleaners will never not be fun.

Busting cleaners and then dropping them before their tank goes so their corpse ragdolls across the screen will never not be hilarious.

I've died before because I was too busy trying to shoot some rando red cleaner's tank instead of taking down the people who were filling me more full of lead than a Flint water main.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So with a new patch on the horizon and the attendent GS bump, is there any point in hanging onto caches until that happens? LIke, if I have a bunch of caches I got now and I pop them in a T5 game will they come out as the higher GS items, or is GS determined upon cache generation?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ah bummer

oh well, time to horde cash to buy a buttload of vendor crates when the time comes, then.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Roman posted:

Survival is cool and all but it's kinda weird that they are creating another world tier for the next update, meaning that we will have to farm all new, more powerful gear... but the new activity is one where everyone starts with a green sidearm and no armor. We really do need a raid or some new missions or something else NEW that requires more powerful gear.

I'm guessing that this mode is something they had in the works for a while, at least before they put everything on hold to re-balance for 1.4. All of the incursions were also so poorly received that I wouldn't be surprised of they made a bit of a halt on dribbling those out in favor of some bulkier updates scattered more sparsely. At least that's what I'm hoping and telling myself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AggroJagg posted:

This is really useful thanks for the link!

Also like, someone said, skill up does a video round up of the vendors as well that was useful.

No, that video is not at all useful.

That twit takes half an hour to tell you information that could be better received by looking at a spreadsheet for 30 seconds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What's the current recommended distribution of firepower/health/electronics for end game gear?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Insert name here posted:

Yeah I've got a pretty similar distribution myself at 3949/5087/2834, though I'm considering swapping out a stamina mod or two to electronics to hit the 3098 electronics threshold for certain perks. Or I guess I should say I was considering it, since right now I'm basically waiting for 1.5 to play again since there's no reason for me to continue acquiring more 229 gear.

GS isn't the be all end all. I mean if you have full sets of everything and are bored go play something else but it's not like you're going to be better off running a grab bag of the new stuff rather than a full set of your preferred. I'm just going to sub in higher GS stuff as I get it. Until then I'm filling the homes I still have.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Supposedly some x-box site accidentally listed the release date for 1.5 - Nov 22.

The article I saw was standard ~~gaming journalism~~ so take that with a giant loving grain of salt, but we can at least hope.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

poo poo, I kinda want it, but if it's gonna be the same price as Underground is, fuuuuck. Their dlc prices are ridiculous.

Eh, I'd broadly agree in general but I'm actually getting enough game play out of the underground mode that it was worth the $15. I've easily at least gotten 20 hours out of it, which at less than $1/hr makes it cheaper than most of the new titles I buy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Should I be hunting for crates while I'm down there or just relying on named and random mob loot drops for gear? Those levels seemed fairly expansive as I moved through them compared to the 6-8 guys per room that the game threw at me.

Personally I just run through shooting poo poo and then loot the chest at the end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Locator posted:

I might be a terrible human being, because I never get tired of sniping the gas tanks on the Burners and then just dropping into cover and cackling as they run around in a panic and then explode.

The absolute best is when you hit their tank then kill them so the explosion makes their corpse ragdoll all over the place.

If they land on their backs they can get some good air :allears:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

guns for tits posted:

This thread title doesn't lie.

I think I'm somewhere on the old Google doc but my uplay name is DocfridaySA.

I'm on that old doc too, but I'm playing again. Uplay is Cyrano4747. Find me and let's shoot mans together so I can stop doing pubbie groups.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly getting good gear solo on WT4 is really easy as well. Just walk around and murder the elites that spawn on the map.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, gently caress this, I'm done for a while. They need to fix their servers

I just had a great run in Survival. I was firing on all cylinders. Got great gear, was murdering the poo poo out of yellow NPCs, just having a great time. Right off the bat I ran into one of those boss-type cleaners (the ones with the poo poo loads of tanks on them) near my spawn and killed him for some nice armor. By the time I was deep in the DZ I was rolling. All purple or yellow gear, yellow weapons, skills, the works. Grabbed the anti virals, called extraction, managed to kill my hunter. Holy poo poo, my first successful survival!

. . . with 20 seconds on the helo clock I get dumped to Mike.

Log back in, no rewards even like I died. Match might as well have never happened.

:sad:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's very very doable solo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Well, yeah. I mean I don't play Division a whole lot, and probably will drop it within a couple of weeks. But Survival is the clear winner. It adds a lot of tension and drama, and the basic idea "Trapped in a blizzard, you have to scavenge and survive" is just a great gameplay idea altogether. That and you use most of the new york gamespace rather than generic underground tunnels.

Underground is cool and all, but generic dungeon runs are only so cool as long as you get loot- but there comes a point where that ends. There isn't much room for out of the box thinking and every run is pretty much the same. That and I can't find anybody to matchmake for it at this point, so there is basically no reason to do it.

Honestly I hope Survival goes over so well they put in a "Survival" game difficulty mode where you have to get warmth, food, and medicine in normal gameplay.

I agree with the weaknesses of underground but you can run it solo on hard pretty easy if you have ok equipment. I really do t think a group is 100 percent required to enjoy it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thronde posted:

How spawn heavy are the mobs in the subway tunnels in survival? I've avoided then because of past experiences in the DZ

enough to be exciting, but not nuts. It might be rough if you went in with just your starter pistol, but if you have even a green AR or something you should be OK.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PSA for anyone else like me who doesn't pay attention to the Ubisoft client. In the rewards section of the game menu there are a bunch of outfits and weapons skins you can buy with Ubi fun buxx. There is a bitchin flame skin for guns that costs twenty or so. I had 320 or so just from playing like a normal person.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

anime tupac posted:

Quick question, one that I also asked earlier in this thread (but when I was low-level and dealing with greens and blues).

I've been hanging out in the DZ at 29 for a while after realizing that high-end gear drops at 29. I pretty much have golds in every slot, but I'm missing the cool weapon talents I had on my guns before I had to upgrade, so I'm going to stick around a bit longer and hope for some of those, and I'll be getting golds I don't need. Sell or dismantle? Or do some third thing with them I'm not thinking of? (I was reading the old thread and it mentioned some metagamey sounding idea to put expensive stuff in the bank for a low-level alt, who then sells it and buys a bunch of low-level blues to deconstruct or whatever, but that seems kinda tedious, if it still even works)

There is basically no reason to ever dismantle now. Crafting is useless outside of a few end game niches. Maybe someday you buy that GS256 plan for your preferred AR and need a mountain of mats to make 50 of them so you get a perfect roll. When that day comes go grind HVTs for a weekend to get poo poo to break down. With the way mats drop in combat now you might not even need to do that.

Really the only use right now is crafting weapon kits for rerolling guns but even those drop often enough that I do t find myself needing to make them much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This is from a while back but it kind of stuck in my mind and has been bugging me:

Roman posted:

- Avoid the collectible stuff ("Intel") until level 30. After level 30, XP goes towards earning loot caches and the little bits of XP from collecting stuff will help

This is terrible newbie advice. I'm going through right now and picking up the rest of the intel I missed earlier and you really, really don't get enough xp to make it worth saving for post-30. I'm getting far, far more experience (and thus caches) from the random clusters of reds I"m murdering in between listening to dead people's telephone calls.

Meanwhile listening to those as you level up is a neat way to get into the world around you. Saving those for the end just seems like it would make the main game such a joyless slog.

edit: fixed my sadbrains

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Roman posted:

I think you quoted the wrong bit. But anyway, I got a few characters to 30 with the majority of collectibles untouched, with no powerleveling or playing any missions underleveled. I know what you're getting at though, I'll change it.

:downs: Yep I did. I'll go fix that.

edit: yeah, I wasn't saying so much that you NEED the intel for leveling, just that it adds something really neat while you're leveling and you get next to nothing for saving it. You don't need to go ferret it out of every nook and cranny, but there's no reason to pass it by either.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 29, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I got a Thompson SMG early on and got the D3-FNC set finished yesterday, then did the two-named-bosses part of the toughest daily HVT (Cleaner tanks) by just standing in the open and holding left mouse in the general direction of their weakspots

It's Pretty Good

Is there any way to get the Thompson besides the underground caches? That seems soooo loving restrictive, I cringe every time I get some bullshit yellow kneepads or whatever

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

huh. THat's an interesting bug.

Survival run where I couldn't reload my handgun.

Insert name here posted:

The Tommy Gun variant with the drum mag and higher RoF comes in Field Proficiency caches, but the M1928 with the stick mag (the one I want) is Underground Caches only which is ugh.

Booooo. That sucks. I'm still not max UG level. Is there a way to get caches after you max it out?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 29, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I run it without crazy electronics and it works fine.

It's great for doing dailies with pubbie groups. My time to finish for lex plummeted when I started using it. Even the dumbest mouth breather can figure out that it's good to shoot the bad dudes in the back while they're pouring fire into the invincible tank.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Have I told you about all my friends in American High School who sacrificed their cats to Satan because of Dungeons and Dragons?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I want a dlc where you get to hunt that rear end in a top hat down.

If the devs have even the slightest shard of self awareness you'll find his mutilated corpse as an easter egg in The Division 2

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

I want ski masks as a cosmetic. Let us go nuts and present as the crazy murder hobos we already play, Ubisoft.

Goddamn I love your av.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Locator posted:

Played another round of survival. Seems like the enemies scale really fast compared to how well I can get geared up. Went from all reds with an occasional purple (and multiple purples in the sewer) to suddenly running into two full groups of purples and elites and I still hadn't even entered the DZ. Had just gotten a purple gun and a couple pieces of purple gear and... welp..

There were only 6 agents left alive when I died too.

It's really not a scaling thing. THere are roving groups of enemies that include yellows and named yellows. They will flat kick your rear end if you aren't in a well geared group. The solution is to avoid them.

There are also certain landmarks that are just death zones. Again, it's "survival" and part of surviving is knowing when to not jump in and assault poo poo you can't kill.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rule #1 for grinding gear in the DZ is always roll in a group of 4. Anything less is just asking to be ganked.

It's not hard either. You can pick up an extra couple of pubbies pretty easy. I routinely run around the DZ in 4 man groups that I pull out of the queue.

edit: also if you don't want to deal with people running with god-tier gank outfits you need to not be level 30, or at least not top-ish end GS. Once you get up there you WILL see people with all the perfect rolls etc to make some pretty brutal outfits.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I finally got a m1928 thompson! :buddy:

. . . that does 3k less damage per round at 200 fewer RPM than my MP5, with worse talents to boot :smith:

Oh well, still keeping it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

accurate-ish.

Less accurate than my MP5, but not enough less that I really notice ap roblem at SMG distances

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Also gently caress whoever decided to give Rikers explosive ammo.

Nah, the real gently caress you are the incendiary rounds the cleaners have. It basically nullifies shield builds solo and makes anything else a pain in the rear end. Explosives don't require you to pat yourself out for a few seconds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

man, it really bugs me that my m1928 has the outline of a loving MP5 in my inventory.

That's just lazy. GIS "thompson," filter out the dick pics, and send it off to an intern to run through photoshop. I'll guarantee that random people on SA could get a decent looking icon ginned together in a few hours.

edit: they bothered to have different icons for an m44 in milsurp furniture and an m44 in some tapco archangel abortion stock for gently caress's sake.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mandalay posted:

I missed out on buying this game for $25 during the Steam sale. It's still $25 on the Humble store--will I be missing out by buying a version not from Steam?

double check what the deal is specifically with this one, but half the time humble store just gives you a steam key

edit: ok, looking at it they just give you a uplay key. If you buy it on steam steam just acts as a wrapper for uplay. I kind of like that as it lets me just go to steam for all my games rather than ever dealing directly with uplay, but that's just because I'm lazy and weird.

You're fine if you don't mind launching from another clinet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you want to gently caress around in the DZ just open the matchmaker and find a group. There are always people grouping up to go farm NPCs in the DZ. I can't remember ever waiting more than about a minute in the queue.

Three times in four it goes off without a hitch. Just being in a 4 man group is enough to keep most rogues at bay, and extractions are beyond easy. If you're really worried put together a Banshee set - at 4 piece you don't lose any exp or DZ bucks when you die in the DZ, unless you went rogue.

This isn't even a "play with goons" thing, it's literally just slapping the in-game button to find 3 randos to go shoot people with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Hopefully they'll take a leaf out of Survival's book and make PVE/PVP versions of the DZ. Maybe give incentives like extra credits and experience points for those who go PVP.

The DZ is a huge, desolate area but has some of the most striking imagery and interesting combat areas in the game. They need to pad it out with bounty missions and the like at the very least.

I don't think they'll do anything with the current game, but the DZ was such a clusterfuck for the first six months of its release that I'd be shocked if they didn't revamp it in a major way for whatever The Division 2 ends up being.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I've got hopes pinned on Year 2 content involving a massive revamp or something. If they can salvage the base game I have no doubt they'll salvage its systems in the future - a full blown sequel might be odd given how much effort has gone into creating the NYC map.

At this point I seriously, seriously doubt we'll see any major revamps from here on out. Frankly I'm a bit doubtful whether we'll get a Year 2, and if we do if it will be more than small poo poo like maybe another couple of incursions.

Do we have any idea what the size of their team is right now? Usually the teams working on software get gutted right after release, with a much smaller crew responsible for bug fixes and maybe a second crew working on the expansion or whatever. The Division 2 would represent a whole, fresh revenue stream for Ubi, another $60 game (plus year pass!) that they could sell to a bunch of gamers. Even a huge DLC-sized update isn't going to get much over the $25 price point, and you'll always have a smaller number of people buy that than whatever the hot new hyped and advertised game is.

Basically if it can't be done as essentially a mod using existing resources I don't think we'll see a whole lot of new content.

edit: from what I recall the NYC map was an asset they basically already had. Left over something from some other game that went tits up, iirc. I'll let someone who remembers vidya game dev trivia better than me fill in those blanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Roman posted:

They have hinted that they were going to rebalance PVP after they unfucked PVE in 1.4 and after Survival was released. They've got some time before Last Stand to do it.

O(h yeah, I have no doubt they'll do balance poo poo. I just doubt we'll get anything truly major like a whole new DZ for PVE or anything like that.

If they can tweak some spreadsheet values and maybe upload a model or 2 than an intern made over the weekend they'll do it, but anything that requires a real dev team won't happen.

• Locked thread