Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I've been playing around with my alt now that the co-op partner I usually played with all but bowed out, and I have to ask:

In contrast to my main agent, who specs in tech and survivability with a supply station, I plan on being agile and hurty, up-close with shotguns and SMGs. I'm only level 10 so it's actually fun to do this on paper mache mooks, but will this be at all viable at level 30/end game? Of course, I'm not at all talking about min-maxing for DZ or incursions (gently caress both of those), but will it be a significant difficulty boost once I get that high, specced for getting in range of my enemies and pelting them? Or will I have to change up that play style eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Roman posted:

shotguns are really good right now, especially on console with the aim assist which makes them annoying in PVP. Massive said they're going to be tweaked soon but gave the impression that any changes will be more about lessening the impact of aim assist than nerfing them in any significant way.

SMGs are just alright at this point, but you should be ok if you are getting in close. I haven't really used them in a while though, since ARs got buffed

Cool thanks. Oh, and should i leave the overworld loot boxes I find for level 30? Or should I just snatch them up instantly?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

If they had a small chance of dropping end-game blueprints, maybe, but as it stands you're gonna be rolling in loot that crafting doesn't seem necessary

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Roman posted:

I would say crafting mods and attachments is still worth it. They drop more now but some are way better than others. And right now mods with +armor are the way to go.

Are you talking about via blueprints that are only gotten via a boggling amount of phoenix credits?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

Just a quick warning to anyone who believes the thread title: its wrong, its still a stupid grind with little chance for a tangible or interesting upgrade after a short time.

As someone who plays this game 95% solo PvE, I got upgrades near instantly, as most everyone would because talents and stat formulas got switched around. Whereas it was a rare, squeal-worthy joy when I saw a max-level gear set item dropping from something that wasn't a Challenging/Heroic underground or DZ run...All I had to do post 1.4 was walk a few blocks from the Base of Operations to the next nearest safehouse to the north east. I'm not kidding you. Got 3 within a half hour of just strutting around doing gently caress all.

Hell, I'd advise you to jump on because I'm sure they're going to nerf drop rates soon enough, but I'm digging it and I can't see how you can avoid good loot being dropped.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alchenar posted:

No he's right, the effect of 1.4 is that you hit gear level 228 in no time, but actually getting the right set of gear with a good set of talents is a matter of grinding away.

Right now I'm playing underground and missions because it's fun to see the content but because I'm fully geared up I'm not getting anything from it but the fun of the gameplay itself, which is okay but not as lasting as it could be.

I admit I'm a special case because I don't play these games like most people do: A lot of people find getting to max level the chore and try to power through it as fast as possible before farming the things that get you the ultimate whatchamacallits, running bosses ad nauseum until they do that, then they post how they got it, show it off, assist others in getting it, or just give up.

I, myself, always play loot-driven action games dynamically. I just use what I find until I figure out what play style fits me the most and lean towards certain weapons, but I never go for optimal builds or farm for the best whatevers (I've completely avoided that video being reposted because I just don't play that way). So ultimately what keeps things most fun for me is how often things drop and how hard it is to kill whoever might have them, as opposed to how quick I can still get junk.

I can only imagine, however, that if getting the ultimate weapons were easier to get, people would complain that there is no endgame/nothing to do/too easy/needs more or harder grinding events, and they'd make poo poo similar to Incursions.

I feel like 1.4 made much more good gear accessible to everyone, and made the fight to get them a lot less frustrating in most aspects, so it's be a perfect update for me, but there's still got to be some RNG fuckery to keep the spreadsheet-ers happy, you know?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I haven't played since they released the first incursion and it was an absolute poo poo show. What should I be doing first to gear up and stuff?

Kill whatever the game lets you kill.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

DZ PvP really needs to be opt in, dammit.

I would literally pay for this

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lyer posted:

Is there a reason to do the daily missions over farming underground? Aside from birdbucks, the amount of loot that drops doesn't seem worth the time.

I get a decent amount of loot above ground, no more or less than underground.

I mean if you have fun running the same thing repeatedly then do what you want? But there are plenty of ways to make this something beyond a 'looping the same sequence simulator'. S&D/HVT, missions on higher difficulties, DZ, underground, and eventually more with DLC.

Journey, not just destination :buddy:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Don't know if anyone keeps track elsewhere--I certainly don't--but if you're a season pass holder, new supply drops have come in. :toot:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

robziel posted:

Two of those were from one crate, I feel like the game is trying to tell me something.

Need a light?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Has anyone gotten a weekly cache? Is it worth the trouble? I never like replaying the scripted story missions if I can help it, and I'm afraid I'll burn out on the game quicker, but I always get 2 or 3 out of the 4 weekly objectives done without really trying, then that 'Complete 10 missions' poo poo is the last thing to stop me.

Especially since I have an alt agent which specifically has to go through the campaign again anyway, it's a bit of a hinderance.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I didn't exactly mean challenging mode, I meant redoing them on hard mode as per the weekly assignments. I'm asking if the cache you get from them is worth the effort.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

Has anyone gotten a weekly cache? Is it worth the trouble? I never like replaying the scripted story missions if I can help it, and I'm afraid I'll burn out on the game quicker, but I always get 2 or 3 out of the 4 weekly objectives done without really trying, then that 'Complete 10 missions' poo poo is the last thing to stop me.

Especially since I have an alt agent which specifically has to go through the campaign again anyway, it's a bit of a hinderance.

Answered my own question: Not worth it

Edit: That said the very last mission for the this weekly was also the last daily on Hard, also netted me the achievement for doing all missions on Hard at level 30, so I'm glad I did it. :toot:

Morter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 5, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I hope there isn't a cache limit because i got like 10 of them sitting around.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah it took me way too long to realize I could stash stuff I was gonna sell, then sell it on my alt. :homebrew::whatup:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

In theory the contracts will scale to your party size but I would still err on the caution and get a few friends.

Honestly I'd say all but the most expensive dailies are solo-able with extreme ease, and I'm not at all optimized or on a build so even all the dailies should be no problem for min/maxers.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well I don't really wanna compete much if I can help it but I'll deal. As long as being able to solo gets you SOMETHING out of the deal, I'm excited.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I am genuinely excited if Survival/1.5 is coming soon, though. No ETA, I imagine?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wow they need to incorporate some of this survival stuff into the main part of the game. Changing clothes based on weather, needing meds, food items actually being useful. Hell, banging on a vending machine to get a soda is a great touch.

Or hell, having a reason to go inside buildings for loot.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Go Chortbongs!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Formally requesting Chortbong/ :airquote: Shortbows :airquote: pics. (ie: Where Chortbong came from)

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 7, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

It's weird there isn't a P90, considering you can find P90 mags in the BoO on tables here and there.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

Ok, now I wish someone would mod the game so turret had the voice for Shotgun 1340.

*drops Supply Station* MORE AMMO WOO :psylon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Roman posted:

Did my first Survival PVE, started out thinking it was maybe the dumbest poo poo ever but as I figured it out I started to like it. Even though you can't kill players it is pretty competitive, with people running ahead of you and stealing stuff from crates. I learned real quick to steal dropped NPC loot from other people's kills. Ended up with warm clothes but couldn't find much medicine or water because I was floundering around in circles like an idiot. Enemies must not respawn because aside from a few rioters early on I saw no enemies until I made it to the DZ. Got the divtech, but was downed by 2 elite LMBs and I had like only 2 minutes to live from my infection so it didn't matter. Got 2 caches for my trouble.

So yeah it's frustrating at first but I think I like it. But no way I'm trying any PVP until I can finish PVE at least once.

So wait even if you solo you're going to be in the midst of other people? Like you can't be 'alone'? Huh.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Looking forward to this game becoming a guide to surviving post-trump America.

I've been trying to tell people...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dumb question: How certain are you that you hit all safehouse's situation boards?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

J posted:

Not certain enough, apparently. I missed the one in autumn's hope and that's where the tech supply mission was. :bang:

;)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Roman posted:

On STOG they said that the upcoming gear score increase is not going to be some monthly thing. 1.4 was so everyone who had left and come back could catch up with those who had kept playing, and they want everyone to grind up together now in 1.5. The next GS increase will only be when major new content is released.

So does that mean this rain of loot will end soon? :(

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Clavavisage posted:

is there a PC username spreadsheet to get on up somewhere?
i need groups to protect my weak rear end

You mean like the first line of the OP?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

GET MY BELT SON posted:

every day a different safe house has a white circle around it

what is that?

If you're at level 30, you get access to Search & Destroy/High Value Targets. Certain safe houses have 'critical search & destroy' where you're awarded more intel

This is just a guess, it might be something else (cause you didn't give much context)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So what's the least frustrating way to get from Lvl 26 to level 30? Side missions? Main missions? I want to get to max level on my 2nd character before I get bored of the game/WT5 shows up

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Great.

Now to get some friends. :unsmith:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

Barring that, just do side missions at your level. You should be able to do what...Kip's Bay and Murray Hill easy. Might as well so you can a) Open up Search and Destroy and b) Get supplies for your BoO.

Oh wait you get SnD's from just beating all the side missions? I thought it was a level 30 thing

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It's safe to sell or dismantle the EMT/Fireman/etc weapons and junk, right? They'll just show back up at the rewards vendor? Have them stashed, and I need to make room.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay.

There's downtime on Thursday, and last time I remembered maintenance was when 1.4 came in.

So basically I'm hoping 1.5 is here tomorrow :kiddo:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Deviant posted:

Stray animals are a vector for disease.

Someone should tell this guy holding a bunch of dead rats by the tail.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Roman posted:

Sealed Caches
You also won’t get equipment from caches that are exclusive for Tier 5 after 1.5 drops

I don't think I understand this. Elaborate a little, please?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay so I actually don't know why I can't redeem the 'Return to safehouse' quest. I literally don't see any other quests (save for the supply drop one which I want to save for 1.5). Any ideas?

Edit (1/2): Oh wait, there's a missing person's chain of quests that has one end up there. Maybe completing that will let me?

Edit (2/?): Well, doing that mission didn't work. I still can't turn in that mission at the Grindhouse. I saw a mission Kip's Bay, however, for another missing squad. Thinking that might be the case, I fast traveled to Kip's bay...and was able to update that JTF officer...

Even though I have an unfinished quest right there? :psyduck:

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

For HVTs you need Intel, which you get from the "Search & Destroy" mission boards in all the safehouses. You might have to clear all the side missions in an area first for them to show up, can't remember

This is correct

• Locked thread