Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
What a weird week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
N: I knew Boise State lost. I was unaware of how they lost(on a safety).

V: :laffo:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

UNC being ahead of VT is hilarious.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I wonder how many more years of not winning the East they give Jones until enough is enough. 9-3(I'm saying this because if UT loses one of the next four they should fire Jones immediately) is good and all but that's not remotely what it's about at that school.

Is next year it for ol' Butch?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't "good" better than they've been in like 15 years?

I've got a deep fear of my team turning into Tennessee, and that starts with firing the coach every 3 years.

Both programs have built up expectations to such a level where good no longer cuts it. That's just part of the deal when you're old guard like those schools. Good is barely acceptable at VT anymore and 98% of VT's success has come in just the last 35 years.

I mean just in general we are a "win now" society. Nobody will ever get to be like Bowden or Beamer again and spend forever turning a school around, even lovely programs fire coaches sooner rather than later these days.

Tennessee also plays in the most hyper-competitive division in the sport. Almost half the SEC expects to win it constantly and play for national titles and the other half is rapidly catching up in that aspect. What SOS did to the Gamecocks is the reason Muschamp will be out of a job in 2018 despite South Carolina historically being one of the worst P5 programs (well, that and him not being able to coach) who should really temper expectations of non-HoF coaches who come to their program but they got accustomed to mattering in the SEC and you can't turn back the dial.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 31, 2016

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

RumbleFish posted:

Losing to Tennessee in 2013 was an absolutely unacceptable result that destroyed our ability to win the East and compete for a BCS bowl berth, which hurt even more since it was probably our best team ever. Last night was just balancing the cosmic checkbook.

I think many SC fans would be at peace with hovering in/around the Top 25 and winning 7-9 games with decent bowl trips and the occasional division title run. That's a reasonable baseline for this program to operate at. But yeah, no poo poo people are gonna have a hard time when the program absolutely craters only a few seasons removed from a final No. 4 ranking. A downswing was inevitable, but it happened almost overnight and to an absurd degree.

But the point is that even that, hovering around the top 25, is hilariously unrealistic for what the Gamecocks were historically. What happened under SOS was the anomaly. I mean your baseline would really be the baseline for any P5 program. Can you imagine Purdue fans complaining about not making decent bowls?

South Carolina being bad is, to me, a "oh, guess that makes sense" thing not a "whoa what happened to them?" thing like what's happening to, say, Texas. Oh, a really good coach squeezed every last ounce of talent and work from the program and they peaked and then he saw the same and left and of course they won't be as good. It doesn't mean the program is doomed to mediocrity, especially with the East seeming to continue to be totally average (by traditional SEC standards) but it means you probably need a very high caliber coach to repeat that kind of success.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, I'm sure it's credits related not grades. It's not terribly uncommon to see this happen with JUCOs, there's so many ways to get them credits but getting all those credits to successfully transfer is another issue entirely since conferences and individual schools have their own rules.

VT itself has an Algebra II requirement that doesn't exist at a lot of other schools and it cost them some major recruits over the years because kids just scoff at having to do more classwork to go there (which is absolutely their right to do). It became a very infamous thing among the fans about a decade ago because of how big the losses were in recruiting.

I get why the NCAA sets a minimum and then lets conferences do whatever and conferences set a minimum and lets schools do whatever but it must make things super complicated for these academic advisors, especially if a kid is flip flopping on where to go and maybe one school requires something they're not currently enrolled in so it's probably a constant juggling act and poo poo just happens and boom, you either have to extend your timetable in prep or JUCO or you just have to cross that school off and move on to the next one.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oh poo poo it's Rocky Dennis.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

N: VT signs AD Whit Babcock through 2024.

V: Owns owns owns. While being primarily known for signing of Justin Fuente and Buzz Williams he's done much more in his short time in Blacksburg and is completely beloved by the fanbase at this point.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Also my first niece is named Kinsley and try giving a poo poo what they're named when you're holding them and watching them grow up. Doesn't even begin to matter to me anymore.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

I am old, in a committed relationship, and think paying attention to high school football if you are neither in high school nor related to someone on the team is weird as hell so I am down for Friday night. Hell of a lot better than the early Saturday spot

I'm older than you, married, and thinking supporting local school sports is great. I live in the same city I played for in high school and I use the games as a chance to spend time with my parents, who enjoy supporting the local high school and have for decades now. I hope I'll have a son that will be able to play like I did so I can cheer for him like my parents did for me.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thursday night football is partially responsible for VT's overall rise in popularity and success in the sport. Don't knock it until you try it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thursday and Friday games are excellent ways to turn something into a 3+ day weekend. I usually get forced into using my PTO because I don't often use it so I'll take a half day on Thursday and then take Friday off, it's pretty great.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alaois posted:

Okay, so point stands, caring about high school football is for hyperweirds

You post about DnD podcasts so, uh, glass houses and all you spergking.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

So have you recaptured that glory or are you still attending games trying to grab it?

It never left :3:

Or it could be that my parents are both well into their 60s and when my best friend lost his father a few years ago I realized I didn't spend enough time with my parents and they too will eventually pass and I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat some day that wishes he spent more time with them.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 3, 2016

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alaois posted:

I don't even know how I'm supposed to respond to this.

I've played in PbP games on this very site if that gives you more ammo in this imaginary war

Well I'm going to assume it's either a weeb thing or a DnD thing so idk you tell me and we'll go from there.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My alma mater went 4-6 one year and they gave the coach a parade.

I cover preps. Most of the coaches get it, that their entire livelihood is dependent on the whims of teenagers.

But a neighboring program puts their players up in hotels out of town for home games (to "cut down on distractions"). One of that school's big rivals had fans pay private investigators to see if they were illegally recruiting.

The hotels part is a bit much even for me and I come from a place in Virginia that would fit right in with Texas as far as "we loving love HS football".

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 4, 2016

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Noted human piece of poo poo and former Vandy player Brandon Vandenburg was sentenced to 17 years today for taking his passed out girlfriend back to his room and getting three teammates to run a train on her while he filmed. He, of course, blamed it entirely on alcohol.

Cory Batey, one of the three players who raped the girl received 15 years. The other two cases are yet to be resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That's not altogether shocking depending on the system used. I've seen 0-11 and 1-10 schools before by season's end. Some places just gather up the state and maybe split it in half and then take the top 8-16 (depending on the size of the state I guess) on each side and play 2-4 games and then take the winner of each half to play for state but other places use a system where each half of the state is further broken down into regions or districts and each must be equally represented. That's what leads to some areas seeing teams miss out at 8-2 while others breeze in with any record because there's simply not enough representation on that level to make the games matter.

The latter system works better in theory but the theory requires equal distribution of school sizes as well as equal distribution of play. The former is just "here's a formula, here's the results, here's the cutoff line, go play".

DrunkPanda posted:

My mind is still blown at why anyone would want to do that to their girlfriend. "hey, you know what would be cool? if my friends raped my girlfriend" said no one ever (is what I would have thought, before I read this story)

I have never been able to wrap my mind around it and I thought about it a bit again when I read the article today. I guess it's some kind of cuck fantasy combined with maybe a voyeur thing since not only did he film it he distributed it. I just don't think I'm meant to understand whatever it was he was seeking and I'm OK with that.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2016

• Locked thread