Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
This is going to be metal as gently caress. :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:agreed: Happy how this end of century turned out what with everyone bitching at everyone at the godmoot and now the big clash.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Prayers sent!

I'm enjoying paying attention to this game way more than I probably should. :allears:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
It's cool to hear from someone who's keeping up with the thread! Also kinda weird and I'm not used to it don't judge my posts ;~;

And yeah, can't wait to see how this turns out. (So many civilian casualties, RIP.)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Here's hoping Shogeton gets in his actions helping the city proper.

Because you know, two uncontested Nochtli gut-punches is going to be a bad time :gonk:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Yeah this has been pretty cool. I would have done more of a running battle, back-and-forth thing, but then you guys met up and got snippy with each other and letting that happen was more important than dragging people into the fray by having Sysa start eating Stonehallowians.

I'm going to give Shogeton a bit of leeway to get an end-of-Age post in, but spoilers, fighting Sysa won't change the outcome now - do your own thing, or focus on any of the other poo poo going down like Interfering with the multiple plagues about to be unleashed upon Stonehallow.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

TheFireMagi posted:

It's cool to hear from someone who's keeping up with the thread! Also kinda weird and I'm not used to it don't judge my posts ;~;

And yeah, can't wait to see how this turns out. (So many civilian casualties, RIP.)

Couple of reasons that make it fun to pay attention to the thread:

The deadline. Watching people actually get up to poo poo, rather than just prevaricate or spend ages debating. (I've been guilty/victim of this in previous godgames myself, so it's refreshing to see a 'get things done or be left in the dust' style godgame.)
Player participation. Getting to think up interesting prayer hooks is pretty fun and engages me in the setting and the gods regardless of whether they get used or not!

Theantero posted:

Here's hoping Shogeton gets in his actions helping the city proper.

Because you know, two uncontested Nochtli gut-punches is going to be a bad time :gonk:

Hey, that giant plague of giant insects just happens to NEED to consume all the delicious untainted human flesh in Stonehallow. There's nothing wrong with that. Nature at its finest. :colbert:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Scribbleykins posted:

Hey, that giant plague of giant insects just happens to NEED to consume all the delicious untainted human flesh in Stonehallow. There's nothing wrong with that. Nature at its finest. :colbert:

Looking forward to the godmoot at the beginning of the next age as the other gods ponder how to punish Nochtli for doing the thing the others went out of their way to prevent.

I propose a flogging :whip:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Scribbleykins posted:

The deadline. Watching people actually get up to poo poo, rather than just prevaricate or spend ages debating. (I've been guilty/victim of this in previous godgames myself, so it's refreshing to see a 'get things done or be left in the dust' style godgame.)
Yeah, even with a slow start everyone's gotten some kind of foothold, carved out a powerbase, or otherwise done something significant. Ananke's made their first official Cycle (though what will the ending be???), Faustus has established themselves in the seedy underbelly of Stonehallow, Galarian has a broad, mainly-rural flatland following that's popular due to his open altruism, Iokana has turned Toa from your typical upriver city into the single most militarily competent nation (on a per-warrior basis, at any rate), Julia has made herself the default moral scale of the flatlands and assumed near-total authority over life after death, and Nochtli has carved out a terrifying far-upriver land of descended humans and hungry monsters, and inflicted that on the wider world. And, of course, everyone got involved one way or another at the god-meet.

It's still been very much an intro round, with only a few cases of PC interaction until the god-meet and not much going on storyline-wise, but that's inevitable given that we've only just started. We've got some conflicts brewing though, and the face of the world, and people's relations to various gods, will be changed dramatically by what's about to happen. I think all that, the Age transition, Prayers, and running at full speed from the start will make the second Age even better.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Working on post, coming up soon.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

If there were time left and UnCO3 weren't likely writing flavor right now, I would recall the locusts if the king went with your command. drat fine writing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:agreed: very nice post.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
There's still time! I left the thread overnight so Shogeton could post and I'm a little busy today, so final update and Age transition will be going up later.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

If there were time left and UnCO3 weren't likely writing flavor right now, I would recall the locusts if the king went with your command. drat fine writing.

I have a feeling a lot of destruction has already occurred

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

As long as the lesson is learned.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

A Nochtli that brings the occasional biblical plague to punish decadence is a Nochtli that Julia can work with :v:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
So, mechanically, here's what just happened: Ananke and Iokana performed simultaneous attacks on Rea Sysa through the medium of Merodak and his Toan entourage, divinely empowering and inspiring them to fight down a god (but also putting their own lives on the line if they cocked up). This was basically two attacks, both of which Sysa got a defense roll against, and one of which they failed. That damaged Sysa's one Primal Domain, Void. Then Faustus directly attacked, which Sysa got another roll against, but failed – so Faustus put Sysa on the brink of death.

Being 'on the brink of death' is a specific mechanical status (spelled out in the OOC thread rules) and basically means Sysa got to pick between living, but suffering a terrible consequence, and dying, but inflicting a terrible consequence on the world. They chose the latter, and chose to slay every child with their death scream. Julia interfered and restrained Sysa, but Sysa equalled her roll (by spending 1FP of hers to exploit her tiredness), so he scored a mixed success and ended up slaying every youngest child instead – enormously tragic, but no longer a world-shaking disaster. This actually involved a judgement call on my part, as I hadn't considered whether someone should be able to mechanically interfere with a death consequence, but I erred on the side of being nice to you guys since a) it's too early in the game for such a catastrophe and b) it would've been a dick move to completely nullify Theantero's action. Here's some all-new clarification on Interfering with a death consequence:
  • You can Interfere with a death consequence as normal
  • Since the death consequence is automatically successful, you can only diminish it to a mixed success by beating/equalling it
  • Only one god can Interfere like this (alternatively, any number can Interfere, but the dying god gets one roll against them per attempt, so having more people doesn't help at all.

Overall developments:
  • Hunger's Bog is growing, its cursed population is growing with it, and the surrounding area is becoming people-barren.
  • Toa is conquering neighbouring cities upriver (not many yet) and selling its services to practically every city.
  • Rea Sysa is dead.
  • Stonehallow is devastated, about halved in population, but rebuilding, and its various factions are guiding it to be more equitable in its rebuilt form. It's lost its status as de facto capital of the world due to massive population loss, and other cities are vying for that status through war and trade. Toa and Sartalion are the leading candidates.
  • Sartalion is a growing power that derives most of its legitimacy and authority from the Communion, Galarian's worshippers centred in Highwater.
Religion and worship:
  • Stonehallow is shared more-or-less evenly between Faustus and Julia. Iokana and Galarian have small minority sects as a powerful, but strange foreign goddess and a protector of the weak (who may be a fraud). Galarian's main power move was cut off by the deaths of most of the big names involved, including the old king, but... what goes around comes around.
  • Toa mainly worships Iokana, simultaneously for her pragmatism and her incitement to glory. Some also give credit to Julia, though her inflexibility is seen as a weakness... and a potential threat.
  • Sartalion is mostly Galarian, with minority sects to Julia and Faustus.
  • Other cities worship a mix of people, but nobody seriously.
  • The flatlands outside of the cities mainly worship Galarian.
  • Nochtli isn't really worshipped, but people do make offerings to appease him (whether that works or not).
  • Nobody worships Ananke; she has thus far remained hidden from mortal eyes.
General map:
??? -> Ancient ruins -> Hunger's Bog -> Upriver cities -> Toa -> Upriver cities -> Stonehallow -> Downriver cities -> Sartalion -> Highwater -> Misty battlefield -> The Aetherless Sea of the Unknown

If you're not sure about something in the world, just ask, or come up with your own answer.

Also, you might want to check out everyone else's age transition updates, or at least their prayers and italicised OOC summaries. There might be something interesting or useful there for you.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

holy poo poo my prayer though

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Also, the next Age will end on the 27th of November (about this time GMT). This will be slightly shorter than a week, just to compensate for the longer Age 1 (Age 3 will also be slightly shorter).

Stonehallow is still kind of a pile of rubble with buildings on it, half-depopulated, and half-infested with mindless, cursed, violent humans even decades after the battle, but they're making the best of it, and so should you.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

holy poo poo my prayer though
how does Nochtli feel about hummus humans talking to him?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Well. That was quite the end to the first age, huh. Shame about the Luck roll, but beating Rea Sysa by 1 on the attack feels pretty good, as does being highly respected in Stonehallow. :toot:

Not quite sure what I want to do with this whole Void domain yet, mostly because I'm wondering what Apex I could even make with it and Hope/Luck. I'm leaning towards passing it on to anyone who wants it though, since I enjoy Faustus' current place in the pantheon, but we'll see how I feel after sleeping on it.

Also there's no way Iokana and Faustus getting this same prayer can go wrong, no sirree :v:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
gently caress yeah that was a nice conclusion.

Also of note is that the prayer in my sum up is directed at all of you since Ananke didn't show herself.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

TheFireMagi posted:

Well. That was quite the end to the first age, huh. Shame about the Luck roll, but beating Rea Sysa by 1 on the attack feels pretty good, as does being highly respected in Stonehallow. :toot:

Not quite sure what I want to do with this whole Void domain yet, mostly because I'm wondering what Apex I could even make with it and Hope/Luck. I'm leaning towards passing it on to anyone who wants it though, since I enjoy Faustus' current place in the pantheon, but we'll see how I feel after sleeping on it.

Also there's no way Iokana and Faustus getting this same prayer can go wrong, no sirree :v:

Ah, you have to make a choice on the domain now. It's very much a use it or lose it situation.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

UnCO3 posted:

Ah, you have to make a choice on the domain now. It's very much a use it or lose it situation.

In that case, I'm going to pass on Void since I wasn't really feeling it during bed thoughts. Should be able to get up a post later this afternoon/evening saying as much, but Void is up for grabs to any gods/goddesses willing to mess with that.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Include something to that effect in your next post and as soon as that happens, anyone else can make a grab.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I can pick knowledge and void and become the goddess of walking into a room and forgetting what you wanted to do :v:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Cycle the void into a demigod. Prophesize the Return of Rea Sysa

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I wrote that kind of a joke but the more I'm thinking about it... That's probably a better option than letting Nochtli gobble it up.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I wrote that kind of a joke but the more I'm thinking about it... That's probably a better option than letting Nochtli gobble it up.

That's actually something I was thinking of myself. It would tie in nicely with that prayer I got, and I even have a cool river for it to live in! I'll refurbish it to look like one of those Chinese Dragons and nominate it the guardian of the Halls (also make it nom the souls that would have to spend inordinately long times in Hell to be cleansed, since it would be more merciful to just unmake them at that point).

I'll actually lock in that choice of action, unless someone wants to contest it (and if UnCO3 allows that kind of thing since it's not exactly how the rules say this whole Domain thing should go)

Also, another question. I thought only Primal domains were up for grabs? Yet Rea was rolling at +6 which would kinda imply that Void is an Apex domain? What gives :v:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 21, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well Rea is an NPC that was acting on different rules as ours anyways.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fair point. I just thought it odd that a god that was nominally weaker than us got a very wide domain at +6 that it can roll for basically anything, while we are stuck at +2 for similar domains.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well in exchange it had but a single domain so it died way easier than a normal God.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Rea was working off Hunger. If he survived, you guys would've demolished him with all the FP he was racking up (if he hadn't died in very short order I would've mentioned that, but it was very late and I was very tired). That works the same way for you - you can do anything you want as long as you're willing to take the FP for it. Not all NPCs will be so crazy and take so many risks, though - and not all NPCs will work by PC-like rules.

As far as domains go, he had one Primal (Void) and one Apex at +4 (Despair). More than a demigod, but less than a god. For ~reasons~.

As for making a demigod out of an orphaned Primal... well, more-or-less anything can be Interfered with. If anyone wants to contest that, they can, including by trying to take the power for themselves. Otherwise, it'll work as a regular 'create demigod' action (see the rules). Their Apex would be narrow, as normal, and would have to be related to Void, but this would safely remove the Primal from play.

One last thing - I forgot to say how much AP everyone gets (again). I'll get on that, plus an updated FP list.

EDIT: Also, people were right to think about Sysa's motivations during the god-meet! You guys were under time pressure, but that attitude will help you more in future.

EDIT again: 6AP for everyone in this Age. Check your FP as well, and remember that resolving a Prayer gives you 1AP and might not even need an AP-costing action.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 21, 2016

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
What happens if fail your demigod making roll? Does it just not happen or is it a case of unintended consequences or what?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
A really bad result (relative to the standard difficulty of making a demigod, 11) would definitely have unintended consequences. However, I'm guessing people will be using +4 or +6 when they try that sort of thing, so even at the worst end the consequences won't be truly horrible. At 9-10 you might make a champion or monster instead, or make a demigod that won't listen to you. Less than that and the results will be mediocre down to catastrophic.

Side note, each Age is a century, so most NPCs will die of natural causes during Age transitions unless there's a good reason for them to live (e.g. they're exceptionally long-lived, a demigod, born near the end of the last Age).

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Speaking of demigods, how long do they live for exactly? Forever? There's a good chance Faustus tries his hand at demigod creation this age and that's something I was curious about.

On a side note that I forgot to mention, I loved how Alastair just kind of got murdered 'off-screen', which I was very amused by.

Edit: Oh, and were the parts about children during the battle with Rea Sysa something we actually heard in character?

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 22, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Question: How aware are we about the five centuries time limit?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Heads up, Nochtli wants nothing to do with changing its own domains. It doesn't want to go any farther away from it's original state.

Iron Chef Ramen fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 21, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
End of age = Everything I could have hoped for. :allears:

Keep those dice rolling, Fluxxers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Could the spare domain be used to create a new deity/minor deity of the void?

• Locked thread