Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
RIP Morlock ninjas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
No no no, inverse law of ninjas, now that only one morlock ninja remains he is gonna become a huge badass.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
More like the law of the First Cycle, but yes, yes it will.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Welcome back, UnCO3! Lots of interesting things coming out of the end of this Age, so next Age should be fun.

For real though, I hope everyone is ready for Faustus to try and dunk everyone's head into the Black Mirror just to see what comes out. :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I love how Galarian hosed up so bad that he created an evil twin of himself :allears:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Hey, it could happen to anyone.

(That is, in fact, true.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ananke is already kinda straddling the line of benevolent/malevolent so I really wonder what she'd see in there.

Ditto for Nochtli.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Julia snake-eyes: Sharon gets enough of her boss and engoddifies out of spite, goes and makes an alternative Halls of Judgment that is mostly the same just more chill and has booze and all the souls go there instead because Sharon is less anal about this whole judgment thing.

Seriously though, I wonder if Julia's EVIL TWIN would be some chaotic god, or more of a darker, more actively tyrannical version of herself.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Theantero posted:

I love how Galarian hosed up so bad that he created an evil twin of himself :allears:

I, too, love how failure is always interesting and fodder for future great moments. :allears:

Theantero posted:

Julia snake-eyes: Sharon gets enough of her boss and engoddifies out of spite, goes and makes an alternative Halls of Judgment that is mostly the same just more chill and has booze and all the souls go there instead because Sharon is less anal about this whole judgment thing.

Seriously though, I wonder if Julia's EVIL TWIN would be some chaotic god, or more of a darker, more actively tyrannical version of herself.

The latter, and they'd be -truly- dedicated to their work. Evil never rests, after all! (Evil also runs a way more efficient celestial bureaucracy, she'd say, sneering in Sharon's direction.)

UnCO3 posted:

Hey, it could happen to anyone.

(That is, in fact, true.)

Sometimes they might even want it! I mean, there would have been no way of stopping Vhar from heading straight to the Black Mirror to get down on his hands and knees and stare into it...

... intent on headbutting the emerging face so hard there would be an out-of-season backwash. :black101:

For this, and many other reasons, are you guys lucky that UnCO3 chose to spare you The Challenger's presence. :colbert:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
This is sick

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
We have our first Crisis! First Crises, actually, and unfortunately they’ve both affected TheFireMagi. A Crisis happens when a god’s reach exceeds their grasp, when their passions exceed their power. At the start of each Age I’ll roll d6s equal to the AP I give and total the results, then roll d6s equal to each god/demigod’s FP and total each one’s results as well. If the FP roll is higher than the AP roll (half the AP roll, rounded down, for demigods; three quarters for those in between gods and demigods), that god suffers a Crisis - their Apex goes out of control. Maybe it goes wild, or, in this case, enters a slump, or something else weirder happens.

During a Crisis the afflicted god rolls 3d6 for each action and takes the lowest 2 results; they lose 1FP per action; and the Crisis continues until the end of the Age or until they have 0FP.

Anyone who attempts an action that relies on the god's Apex being present and under control must also roll 3d6 and take the lowest 2 results. In this case, anything that involves major mortal ambitions or inventions will take that hit. Note that this doesn't get rid of any of the god's FP.

Anyone can try to help or hinder a god - adding or removing 1FP is a difficulty 9 action.

As Crises go, these are relatively benign - the world’s unnaturally stagnating, sure, but things could be so much worse.

We also have some prayers to demigods. As these demigods are all PC-created, I'll let the relevant people request how their demigod should handle things (they'll probably follow your orders).

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

I am so strangely happy right now. I wanted to know what happened when FP was stockpiled? Well, I found out!

Things could be worse though! In fact, there's an incredibly high probability of that happening with the potential war on the horizon alone, let alone all the other nasty business. Should be a good time.

I believe Nochtli and I should be at 7 AP though, since we answered a prayer at the end of Age 2? Also, I don't think you put in when Age 3 is going to end unless I missed it, which is entirely possible!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Goddammit Faustus :argh: what are stories without ambition!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Goddammit Faustus :argh: what are stories without ambition!

Faustus did nothing wrong. :colbert:

For real though, reading Ananke's blurb and then getting to "Ambition withered, Invention suffocated," had me audibly saying "What." out loud.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:same:

Lots of poo poo on the horizon for us to deal with, that's for sure.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I will consider this game a personal failure if no Crisis of Judgment ever happens.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I am wondering what a crisis of Fate would be :v:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

TheFireMagi posted:

I believe Nochtli and I should be at 7 AP though, since we answered a prayer at the end of Age 2? Also, I don't think you put in when Age 3 is going to end unless I missed it, which is entirely possible!
Good spots on both of those! Age will end on Sunday, at midnight, GMT.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Actually, updated projections:
Age 3 ends 10/12/16, midnight (GMT)
Age 4 ends 15/12/16, midnight (GMT)
Age 5 ends 22/12/16, midnight (GMT)

So Ages 3 and 4 cover 5 days each, and Age 5 is a full week. No 'Last Days' period, but we'll still get 5 centuries (and I'm guessing the last Age will be pretty busy anyway).

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
How much do we know about the "new" gods? Are they characters with preset personalities or are they things we can play around with in our posts?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
You mean Glister and Ferolian? They both have (rough) personalities, but if you have an idea, PM me.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

UnCO3 posted:

We have our first Crisis! First Crises, actually, and unfortunately they’ve both affected TheFireMagi. A Crisis happens when a god’s reach exceeds their grasp, when their passions exceed their power. At the start of each Age I’ll roll d6s equal to the AP I give and total the results, then roll d6s equal to each god/demigod’s FP and total each one’s results as well. If the FP roll is higher than the AP roll (half the AP roll, rounded down, for demigods; three quarters for those in between gods and demigods), that god suffers a Crisis - their Apex goes out of control. Maybe it goes wild, or, in this case, enters a slump, or something else weirder happens.

During a Crisis the afflicted god rolls 3d6 for each action and takes the lowest 2 results; they lose 1FP per action; and the Crisis continues until the end of the Age or until they have 0FP.

Anyone who attempts an action that relies on the god's Apex being present and under control must also roll 3d6 and take the lowest 2 results. In this case, anything that involves major mortal ambitions or inventions will take that hit. Note that this doesn't get rid of any of the god's FP.

Anyone can try to help or hinder a god - adding or removing 1FP is a difficulty 9 action.

As Crises go, these are relatively benign - the world’s unnaturally stagnating, sure, but things could be so much worse.

We also have some prayers to demigods. As these demigods are all PC-created, I'll let the relevant people request how their demigod should handle things (they'll probably follow your orders).

Interesting! Does something extra special happen if all the gods somehow get a Crisis?

Also, gotta say, I'm pretty amused at how well the Crises dovetailed with some of the prayers. "Gooood, help me! I can't bring myself to solve my own problems!" actually makes more sense than it usually does. :v:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Scribbleykins posted:

Interesting! Does something extra special happen if all the gods somehow get a Crisis?
That would just be gilding the lily, or whatever the opposite version of that is.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UnCO3 posted:

That would just be gilding the lily, or whatever the opposite version of that is.

Burning the lily and shoving the ashes into an incinerator, probably.

Anyway, I'm at little curious. Can a god affected by a Crisis try to help themselves with a DC 9 action, and thus potentially lose 2 FP an action at the cost of (at a minimum) only 1 AP? Odds won't be in their favor, but some might want to go for it.

Also, can the afflicted god actually call on their Apex still with AP, like normal, or is it borked and unusable until fixed?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
A god can try to fix their own Crisis, and they can still use their Apex even during a Crisis. The results won't be as great as they normally would be, but it's not mechanically prohibited.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

poo poo's getting real in the bog

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Looking for some more god bones to boost your ninja's item level? :v:

I'll post once I've figured out what kind of story to tell in this stagnant world.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Some comments on some of the poo poo going down:
Theantero, are you actively trying to get me to make your demigods act on Hunger

Iron Chef, NPC stats and such are in the character list in the first post. Glister's a full-fledged god with Primals of Desire and Dreams, and an Apex of Illusion. He/she also has Hungers of Greed and Wonder.

I've added a Hunger to Ferolian's sheet that should have been there already, and also updated Galarian's sheet a little.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

My bad, thought it was like Rea Sysa. Edited post accordingly.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

UnCO3 posted:

Some comments on some of the poo poo going down:
Theantero, are you actively trying to get me to make your demigods act on Hunger

No, but I will not be opposed to them doing that either.

Of course, I'd rather they not leave spare AP lying about at the end of the Age either, so if they can achieve what they need to without excess hunger that would be swell. Julia tolerates no slacking after all :v:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Shogeton, I just want to say I appreciate the way you are playing your character. Also, I'll be posting in a bit. The lack of ambition thing is an interesting twist.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Oh God. It's cockney crocodile.

A Crocneydile!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The real FCF starts here

Fathis Munk posted:

I am wondering what a crisis of Fate would be :v:
Well, you're currently on only 3FP, so...

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Shogeton, I just want to say I appreciate the way you are playing your character. Also, I'll be posting in a bit. The lack of ambition thing is an interesting twist.
Yeah I'm liking the characterisation here. Ferolian will have his say too.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Nochtli clumsily paws about his chest until he finds a hidden zipper. He pulls it down, revealing a group of 12 incredibly obese men standing on each other's shoulders. Benny Hill begins playing off in the background.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Shogeton, I just want to say I appreciate the way you are playing your character.

Yeah, Galarian is consistently one of my favorites in the thread.

Incidentally, can I lift a devil into a Demigod of Purity (they are all about burning away all that pesky corruption after all) with Judgment?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Shogeton, I just want to say I appreciate the way you are playing your character.

:agreed:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Ahw, thanks. I'm enjoying how he turned out too.

BTW, Fathis Munk, do you mind if I have Galarian know that the Dean was in fact a goddess? Not that he's gonna spread it around. But poor Ilindra might appreciate knowing she never actually failed.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
As a respone to a sort-of question I got via PM:
Regular Homo automata get recycled through the cycle of life/the horrible maw of the Bog, unless Julia/Theantero objects.

The Scion of Stonehallow is a special case who's horribly warped by everything that's happened. They've got its own beast-human-alien mind. By default it'll go to Julia's Halls... if it dies.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

UnCO3 posted:

As a respone to a sort-of question I got via PM:
Regular Homo automata get recycled through the cycle of life/the horrible maw of the Bog, unless Julia/Theantero objects.

If they are human enough to have a soul, said souls go through th Halls and Julia will fight to make it so (certainly, Nochtli could just ask to have them, in which case their destination after Judgment would most likely be the Bog).

But if they are more beast than man, and have no such soul to speak of? Then they are outside of Julia's jurisdiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh, sin eaters.

That's probably gonna get Styx riled. The hell (:v:) is up with these damned souls not getting their just reward?!

• Locked thread