Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

the employee vs independent contractor thing is a big pile of poo poo and is constantly abused by companies to mistreat workers

because most do not have the means. I have a friend with a loving open and shut case of hostile work environment discrimination in her workplace and she just accepts it. Worker rights are only going to get worse in the next 4 years, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Oh, and that Ali Act for MMA that these associations have been lobbying for in congress?

Trump is president now, he took a meeting with the new UFC owners recently, and he owes Dana White a favor for speaking at his convention. Good loving luck with that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I keep trying to think of ways that this could work out for them and I'm coming up dry. Hopefully they get a proper labor lawyer working for them and get reclassified as a union.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

I keep trying to think of ways that this could work out for them and I'm coming up dry. Hopefully they get a proper labor lawyer working for them and get reclassified as a union.

People keep praising Bjorn and how he and/or his lawyer are smart and they know what they are doing, etc. I don't see it. If they are serious about not forming a union, then either he has his own agenda that he's using these fighters to advance, or he's an idiot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rigel posted:

People keep praising Bjorn and how he and/or his lawyer are smart and they know what they are doing, etc. I don't see it. If they are serious about not forming a union, then either he has his own agenda that he's using these fighters to advance, or he's an idiot.

I choose to believe he has both an agenda (as paid executive of what is effectively a huge management organization) and that he's an idiot. The only positive I could fathom is free agency, and even then I think they'd be better off with a union.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I like the idea that GSP decided he needed to make a reasonable and informed decision re: who he should trust with the well-being of his career and the professional reputation of four or five other guys, sat down at his computer, and typed the words 'Bjorn Rebney'

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rigel posted:

Maybe they had to settle for an association because they couldn't get enough fighters to agree to the collective structure of an actual union, with so many of them being weird idiots. I could believe that Tim Kennedy was easily convinced to join a "player's association" but would absolutely refuse to be part of a union.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

the employee vs independent contractor thing is a big pile of poo poo and is constantly abused by companies to mistreat workers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Maybe they had to settle for an association because they couldn't get enough fighters to agree to the collective structure of an actual union, with so many of them being weird idiots. I could believe that Tim Kennedy was easily convinced to join a "player's association" but would absolutely refuse to be part of a union.

That's my thought that some bootstraps assholes that want to preserve their independent contractor status for some unfathomable reason (they consume far too much RWM) are the reason this is an association. I'm pretty sure Rebney's endgame is to just basically become everyone's manager.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
basically what we really need is for Jeff Monson to return from Russia to seize the means of production promotion and reorganize the UFC as a fighter-controlled syndicalist collective. As a bonus, I think he could do bald man shout times and if you messed with the aspect ratio on your TV and squinted real hard, you might not be able to tell the difference.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Solomonic posted:

I like the idea that GSP decided he needed to make a reasonable and informed decision re: who he should trust with the well-being of his career and the professional reputation of four or five other guys, sat down at his computer, and typed the words 'Bjorn Rebney'

"I 'as veen dogged by 'umours me entire career, ee is a man who knows vetter than most 'ows to put dogged 'ories to rest."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

If this is the case, it makes the decision even dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
New thread is up. I can't remember who I'm crediting with the title but it's a good one.

UFC December - (In)Effective Striking for Octagon Control

Argue about whether the new fighter's association is terrible or just really bad in there!

• Locked thread