Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Previous thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792871&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

October was started with such promise, and turned out to be the lowest-key month of UFC in a long long time.

The month started with UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs. Dodson on the 1st of the month. This card had the dubious distinction of being one of the most weight-missingest cards we've seen in a long time. Both the 2nd last fight and the main event involved fighters missing weight, with a fighter on the prelims missing weight as well. All fights went on with purses lightened by the athletic commissions, and in the main we saw a 1.5 pound over John Lineker grind out a close decision against John Dodson. Not a brilliant card.

The 8th brought us the big ticket for the month, UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2. Taking place in Manchester, England, at about half past four in the morning, this event still attracted legions of The Count's Mancunian fans to the Manchester Arena. The main card saw four fights finished in definitive style before the main event, with Mirsad Bektićchoking out Russell Doane in one, Stefan Struve choking out Daniel Omielańczuk in the second, Jimi Manuwa putting a loving beating to knock out Ovince Saint Preux in the second and then Gegard Mousasi punching up Vitor "Dad Bod Vitor" Belfort in the second as well. The main event was the much-anticipated rematch from UFC 100, where Dan Henderson basically punched Mike Bisping into the nega-zone. Bisping got his many-years-in-the-making revenge by... grinding out a decision in 5. The fight was still pretty good and involved Dan getting several knockdowns but neither fighter could put the other away and Mike can hold his title belt up high having exorcised one of his major demons.

The third event that was planned for October was UFC Fight Night: Lamas vs. Penn, to be held in Manila, Philippines on the 15th. With Penn pulling out with an undisclosed injury 9 days before the event, and then two days later Typhoon Sarika threatening to flatten the entire island nation, the decision was made to cancel the event entirely.

And that was that. The rest of the month was taken up by discussion of Jon Jones' NSAC arbitration hearing, which is now over but the result is not yet known, and sundry incredibly bad posting in the previous thread and now finally November is here to save us.

The main draw for November is that FINALLY the UFC will be holding an event in New York City at the historic Madison Square Garden. This event, scheduled for the 12th of the month, is currently headlined by three championship fights, with Joanna Jędrzejczyk looking to put a(nother) hurting on her fellow Pole Karolina Kowalkiewicz, Tyron Woodley defending against Stephen Thompson and in the main event Eddie Alvarez will be defending his championship for the first time against Conor McGregor, with the latter attempting to be the third ever two-division champion and the first ever concurrent two-division champion. It honestly looks like an amazing card and should do ricidulous numbers for the UFC.

On to the champions.

Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic (16-2). Knocked out Fabricio Verdum in front of 45,000 of Verdum’s fellow Brazilians in May 2016. Defended his title against Alistair Overeem at UFC 203 in September in his home town of Cleveland with another decisive first round KO of the big Dutchman. No further challenger announced.

Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel “DC” Cormier (18-1). Beat Anthony “Rumble” Johnson in May 2015 via RNC, and ground out a decision against Alexander Gustaffson in October 2015. Will defend against Rumble at UFC 206 in Toronto on the 10th of December

Middleweight Champion Michael “The Count” Bisping (30-7). Knocked out Luke Rockhold in less than a round at the start of June 2016, on ten days’ notice. Defended this month against Dan Henderson as mentioned above, and is currently talking up a fight with Nick Diaz at UFC 206.

Welterweight Champion Tyron “The Chosen One” Woodley (19-3). Won the title like a day ago by knocking out Robbie Lawler in under a round. Will defend against Stephen "Wonderboy" Thomson at UFC 205, this month in New York.

Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez (28-4). Punched the poo poo out of Rafael dos Anjos in July 2016. Defending against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, this month in New York.

Featherweight Champion "Notorious" Conor McGregor (20-3). Knocked out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds in December 2015. Dicked around at Welterweight for most of this year and is now taking on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in New York this month.

Interim Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo (26-2). Took a decision against Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 in early July 2016. Was slated to fight Conor McGregor sometime in the future, but with Conor making a possibly permament move to 155, it seems the time might be right for Aldo to be declared the undisputed champ at 145, so of course he's talking about retiring.

Bantamweight Champion Dominick "The Dominator" Cruz (22-1). Took a close decision against TJ Dillashaw in January 2016, and defended his title comfortably against Urijah Faber in June 2016. Defending against the undefeated Cody "No Love" Garbrandt at UFC 207.

Flyweight Champion Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson (24-2). Won the title in the final of the Flyweight Tournament in September 2012. Has defended it 8 times in a row and is looking to make his 9th defense against the winner of the current season of TUF in December.

Women's Bantamweight Champion Amanda “Lioness” Nunes (13-4). Punched and choked her way to victory in the main event of UFC 200 against Miesha Tate. Will defend against a returning Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 in late December 2016.

Women's Strawweight Champion Joanna Jędrzejczyk (12-0). Beat the hell out of Cláudia Gadelha the night before UFC 200 to a solid decision victory. Will defend against her countrywoman Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205 in New York this month.

Upcoming Events, aka Thank gently caress The UFC Is Back
UFC Fight Night 98: Dos Anjos vs. Ferguson November 5
UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor November 12
UFC Fight Night 99: Hall vs. Mousasi 2 November 19
UFC Fight Night 100: Bader vs. Nogueira November 19
UFC Fight Night 101 November 26 - currently no main event announced after the withdrawal of Luke Rockhold due to injury.

Credible news sources:
http://www.mmabuzzsaw.com/
http://www.mmajunkie.com
http://www.fightopinion.com
http://www.mmapayout.com
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com
Yahoo! Sports MMA
http://www.mmaweekly.com
http://www.mmamania.com
http://www.mmarated.com
http://www.cagepotato.com/
http://www.f4wonline.com/

Other news:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.bloodyelbow.com

Other:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com
MMA IRC chat room at #mma on SynIRC.net
Welcome to MMA, here's the history of the sport
Comparison of MMA betting lines
Understanding Sports Betting
USADA/UFC Drug Testing statistics

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's november 12, not november 10. Says right on the poster.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Memento posted:

Mike can hold his title belt up high having exorcised one of his major demons.

Mods please ban this troll.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Jon Jones is still the interim champion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disgusting Coward posted:

Mods please ban this troll.

Year of The Count baby.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

quote:

Former UFC Welterweight Johny Hendricks joined Submission Radio to discuss why he's definitely retiring if he loses at UFC 207, his plans to bring back the old Hendricks against Magny and why he may still retire if he wins this fight and his Wife tells him to hang up his gloves. Hendricks about moving to Middleweight for his fight at UFC 207 after missing weight at UFC 200: “They just put it at welterweight. Here’s the thing, a quarter of a pound, yeah it’s still missing weight, but it’s still a quarter of a pound. And if I had to move to middleweight to do a fight over a quarter of a pound to do a fight, then that’s what I gotta do, but they didn’t say anything. Because I think, really, a couple of the guys that are UFC guys thought that it broke (even) whenever I was on 171.”

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hi to the op: you actually forgot to put the light heavy champ in, and just listed one of the two champs, somethingi notice you didn't forget at featherweight.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MMA landed a proper New York venue and I ate a hat

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

-Atom- posted:

Jon Jones is still the interim champion.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hi to the op: you actually forgot to put the light heavy champ in, and just listed one of the two champs, somethingi notice you didn't forget at featherweight.

When they put him back in the rankings I'll put him back in the op.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Dock your active bluetooth with a loving clue bitch... If you need me to type slower due to being on 4g let me know.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jon Jones will never fight in the UFC again

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Dock your active bluetooth with a loving clue bitch... If you need me to type slower due to being on 4g let me know.

He's not the one you're really mad at, friend.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's ok keven, let it out man. We're here for you.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

That is true

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

LAFFO. Comin in guns blazin...

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Chris James 2 posted:

Sure he will.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/1/13491530/in-ongoing-unionization-efforts-pfa-to-introduce-nine-fighter

The PFA has announced that they are making progress and will introduce an interim executive board of 9 current UFC fighters at UFC 205. Those 9 fighters are then going to go out along with the PFA staff and start trying to collect authorization cards from other fighters. They are estimating that they might have enough for a card count and vote in the spring.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cue weeks of speculation on who this panel will include.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
it's gonna be underwhelming. like sean sherk is in charge with his staff comprised of darren elkins, francis carmont, gabe rudiger, sean salmon, and tim kennedy

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm guessing they probably tried to get geographic and gym diversity. Maybe at least a couple Brazilians, someone from ATT, JW, and AKA, a European, Mark Hunt, and couple others.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Conor's huge announcement will be that he is heading up the new fighter's union.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Northjayhawk posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/1/13491530/in-ongoing-unionization-efforts-pfa-to-introduce-nine-fighter

The PFA has announced that they are making progress and will introduce an interim executive board of 9 current UFC fighters at UFC 205. Those 9 fighters are then going to go out along with the PFA staff and start trying to collect authorization cards from other fighters. They are estimating that they might have enough for a card count and vote in the spring.

RIP to the 9 fighters released post UFC 205.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Le Saboteur posted:

RIP to the 9 fighters released post UFC 205.

They will be in trouble if the attempt to unionize is ultimately unsuccessful and the PFA abandons the effort.

Until that actually happens though, it would be a very bad idea to cut them while the fighters are attempting to organize. The penalty for retaliating against someone leading an effort to organize is pretty bad.

If someone on the board is unranked and loses 3 or 4 fights in a row then the UFC might feel confident in explaining that it was not retaliatory. It might be good for your career to be one of those 9, because if its a close call the UFC should err on the side of keeping them on the roster.

edit: though until the union is formed and they have a CBA, I'm sure those fighters will not be very active, maybe get 1 or 2 fight offers a year against a monster and/or get buried in fightpass prelims. They have to know going in that the UFC matchmakers are going to be their enemy until they actually have a CBA signed.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 2, 2016

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

Conor's huge announcement will be that he is heading up the new fighter's union.

then he will also announce his first ever title defence

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

then he will also announce his first ever title defence

Starting with a return to cage warriors to reclaim and defend both his belts.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Northjayhawk posted:

Current OR veterans

Its going to be Jon Fitch and :ortiz:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Espn reporting lineker / TJ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Northjayhawk posted:

Until that actually happens though, it would be a very bad idea to cut them while the fighters are attempting to organize. The penalty for retaliating against someone leading an effort to organize is pretty bad.

Who would have to decide to go after the UFC?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Jon Jones BUSTED

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Memento posted:

Flyweight Champion Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson (24-2). Won the title in the final of the Flyweight Tournament in September 2012. Has defended it 8 times in a row and is looking to make his 9th defense against the winner of the current season of TUF in December.

Man, I really hope Wilson gets his shot after this

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bubba Smith posted:

it's gonna be underwhelming. like sean sherk is in charge with his staff comprised of darren elkins, francis carmont, gabe rudiger, sean salmon, and tim kennedy

Thank you for bringing up both Seans.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
It's gonna be like, Randy, Nate Quarry, and 7 guys from Iowa who all share the same name but can coagulate like a human Voltron into a very large version of Tim Sylvia

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Also congratulations go out to all the staff and fighters at AKA for helping Luke Rock hold achieve his dream of becoming a brokémon master by collecting all 151 ligament tears

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Also congratulations go out to all the staff and fighters at AKA for helping Luke Rock hold achieve his dream of becoming a brokémon master by collecting all 151 ligament tears

hahahahahaha

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think AKA is the only gym that can tout it's medical staff's superiority over it's trainers. Is there a place in vegas where I can place bets on which AKA fighter will be the next one to drop out of a fight due to injury?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

kimbo305 posted:

Who would have to decide to go after the UFC?

The NLRB

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I'm not familiar with how they work -- do they have people eyeing new labor developments, or would someone from the PFA have to call/submit a complaint to get things going?

• Locked thread