Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Gonna see Power tonight with previously-mentioned lady friend. A welcome distraction from our ongoing national nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Three years ago today...

"I'm a doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BSam posted:

Yeah. I like all three of those stories, but I don't really give a toss about the overarching plot.

McGann posted:

Agreed. Reading your reviews made me want to re-listen to them all, especially Destroyer of Delights because of the Guardians absolute pity-party attitude about being stuck in so few dimensions but I could be damned if I can think of a point to the plot, besides introducing The Grace.

Yeah, The Judgement of Iskarr suffers the most but you can see the core of an interesting story in there. The Destroyer of Delights is probably my favorite of the three. But thinking back over the trilogy, all I can think is somebody at Big Finish saying,"Let's do a sequel to The Key to Time!" and nobody asking the relevant question,".....why?"

It was fun, though I have to admit rolling my eyes at the idea of Davros showing up until I read a little further. I dug the idea of Davros' personal and physical changes, and the concept of the companion choosing to go with the "better" man echoes what they did in the 8th Doctor Adventures with the Monk and Tamsin.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 14, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Three years ago today...

Remember how badly we all freaked the gently caress out over that?

That was a good night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Three years ago today...

Oh goody, a less tenuous than normal excuse to post this!

http://i.imgur.com/WMCkkvx.gifv

:neckbeard:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Rhyno posted:

Power of the Daleks is playing at 7:30 tonight but I don't know if I can get motivated enough to go see it.

I just don't know if I can bring myself to pay for an overpriced movie ticket (even by modern standards) to see something I can just watch on my home projector for free on BBCA's Saturday broadcast.

... though, that would require me hooking up my cable box for the first time in years. Hmmm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Three years ago today...

Happy Birthday to Paul McGann, Happy Regeneration day to 8!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I ended up buying a ticket, the girlfriend encouraged me to go and she has dinner plans with her friends so I wouldn't be abandoning her for the night.

Will report back in a few hours!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm also going to the cinema to see the Power of the Daleks, even though I now get BBC America in HD.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm slightly envious that the US is getting this big cinema release, and the UK isn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm slightly envious that the US is getting this big cinema release, and the UK isn't.

Yeah well, we elected Trump. We deserve this one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Yeah well, we elected Trump. We deserve this one.

The U.K. voted to leave the EU, don't they deserve a reprieve as well?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

That's why they made Power of the Daleks.

It's been a 50 year long con

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Are we really going to have a dick-waiving contest over who made the worse move?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Are we really going to have a dick-waiving contest over who made the worse move?

I mean unless something really out of left field comes up, one of those moves is temporary, like a really lovely 4 to 8 year rash that could have some unpleasant after effects for a few years after.

The other one is a wee bit more long term

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I mean unless something really out of left field comes up, one of those moves is temporary, like a really lovely 4 to 8 year rash that could have some unpleasant after effects for a few years after.

Our dick move has access to nukes and hated brown people.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the moral is that No One is Innocent, and we all deserve the Power of the Daleks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Power of the Daleks is yesterday's news, where's my Evil of the Daleks!?! :argh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Our dick move has access to nukes and hated brown people.

While CaptainYesterday is entirely correct, we all know thanks to Zygons, so does theirs.

...well the hating of brown people anyways.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

Your dick move hasn't happened yet. Our dick move just appointed a white nationalist piece of poo poo to his cabinet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hey hey hey. We've all had a horrible year. Trump, Brexit, all the big deaths, and no new Who. Now with Power and Xmas approaching, we're finally coming into the light.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

God, the Daleks in this are real poo poo-eating-grin-having little bastards, huh? Lots of personality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

God, the Daleks in this are real poo poo-eating-grin-having little bastards, huh? Lots of personality.

Hearing them pull up short when they're about to go on a typical Dalek tirade, then agonize through pretending to be subservient is so great.

"With Static Power, DALEKS WILL BE TWICE AS...... useful....."

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 15, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I really hate what happened to them after Genesis.

Genesis the main Dalek at least still had personality by the end, but after it they just were never the same.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

The folks who came up with the archiving policy at the BBC. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

The folks who came up with the archiving policy at the BBC. :smith:

WINNER.

Anyways I am really glad I went. PotD Daleks are the best, just a bunch of seething assholes. The animation could of course been better but not on a BBC budget. The only thing they really could have done better would be to have remastered the audio as it sounded kind of lovely in places.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lesterson whispering,"I am your serrrrrr-vant" and the Daleks' response still gives me chills.

If only he had listened, Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also just put Victory of the Daleks on for more snarky Dalek goodness.

I am your SOL-DIER

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm kind of bummed I saw the animated version tonight because now I'd give anything to see the actual broadcast version!

(It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Also just put Victory of the Daleks on for more snarky Dalek goodness.

I am your SOL-DIER

"You..... do NOT want tea?"

Edit: Which reminds me, it cracks me up in Power when the Dalek brings Bragen his drink, then comes back like 30 seconds later all,"HAVE YOU FINISHED YOUR LIQUID YET!?!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apart from Quinn's shirt pocket getting Monkey Island'ed in one scene, the animation was fine.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I loved the dalek animations, they looked menacing and really nailed their blending in with the traditional animation.

I really loved that they resisted the temptation to do some creative editing to clean up some clunky scenes or dialogue. That and leaving in a flubbed line or a crash-on-set noise went a long way to make it feel like a classic serial. There were a few moments especially in the beginning where the audio track isn't doing much, and so neither is the animation which leads to a few dead beats, so it's not exactly perfect.

The animation was hit and miss. They mentioned in the extra feature afterwards that they couldn't land on a good design for Ben until it was too late. This plus the lack of facial animation in general took away an element which I feel is pretty vital for an actor like 2. On the whole though, it manages to convey the tension in the story pretty well.

I was surprised at how well it all came together, but I still left with kind of a bitter feeling towards the BBC. Again in the post film feature, they mentioned it had to be pushed out the door in six months. It. The result film is plenty good, but man if there is a story that deserves a bit more money and attention, it's this one.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 15, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I hope everybody stuck around after the credits for the extra feature, it was quite fun.

Even if when,"Nick Briggs, Modern Series Dalek Operator" came up I harumphed because that's,"Nick Briggs, Big Finish Executive Producer and Redeemer of Colin Baker" to you :colbert:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CobiWann posted:

I'm kind of bummed I saw the animated version tonight because now I'd give anything to see the actual broadcast version!

(It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful)

That was so worth it! You know how sometimes binging a 6 episode serial in one sitting starts to feel like a drag and more like it was 8 hours long? Power just flies by. Oh my giddy aunt would I give a ridiculous amount of money that I don't have to see this in its full, live action, glory!

My only regret is that there's only one showing, because in the heat of the moment walking out of the theater I would have absolutely bought a second viewing. Will for sure be watching again on the BBCA broadcast. I do wish there was a bit more to the 'making of' bit at the end, but wow - something the hype didn't ruin for me in the least.

It also warmed my heart to have two guys with their ~7-10 year olds with them, one of whom was behind me and talking through the whole thing. But it was cute talk, like "oh my gosh doesn't he know the Dalek is bad???" with legitimate concern in their voice. Good dads.

edit: I was slightly disappointed they cut out all the cliffhangers, but I guess that might be jarring for non-fans...wait, only hardcore fans went to the drat thing anyway so....Man, it's hard to find things to complain about here, I'm still wired from it.

McGann fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 15, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, I hope everybody stuck around after the credits for the extra feature, it was quite fun.

Even if when,"Nick Briggs, Modern Series Dalek Operator" came up I harumphed because that's,"Nick Briggs, Big Finish Executive Producer and Redeemer of Colin Baker" to you :colbert:

COLIN BAKER NEEDED NO REDEMPTION AND TIMELASH IS A FLAWLESS CLASSIC

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another great little moment:

Daleks: THE DALEKS SHALL HAVE THEIR POWER! THE DALEKS SHALL HAVE THEIR POWER! THE DALEKS SHALL HAVE THEIR POW-
Lesterson cuts off the power
Dalek: ....please put the power back on..... :ohdear: :argh:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I normally find Funko Pop figures really ugly but I was looking through some Who stuff at an online store and came across what has to be the happiest looking Cyberman this side of Terra Alpha

Just look at that big grin :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Funko Pops are the worst thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I worked on a parody of the Blink ending at NYCC but about Funko Pops, but then seasonal affective disorder/post-election trauma hit and i aborted the project

if anyone wants to rescue it i could share the raw files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Kind of a ...weird? Dumb?...question, but how prevalent were fascist/anti-fascist themes in 60's British science fiction?

I definitely got a "hey, this is what happens when your goons turn on you" vibe from The Power of the Daleks.

• Locked thread