Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Prism posted:

Does the 'ENEMY looks as sick as possible!' message mean that they are now poisoned to death, or is there a cap other than that?
They'll die to the poison unless they have a source of regen and/or heal before the poison kills them.

So, for the most part, it's a death sentence for anything short of a troll or hydra. (Which you should just keep thwacking at anyways.)

Example You have 10 HP max. You currently have 9 HP, but your entire bar is yellow. You are currently as sick as possible. If you gain HP, you will go back up to 10 and, barring any more damage, survive. You're still marked with 9 points of poison, it's just not enough to kill you any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poison Mushroom posted:

They'll die to the poison unless they have a source of regen and/or heal before the poison kills them.

So, for the most part, it's a death sentence for anything short of a troll or hydra. (Which you should just keep thwacking at anyways.)

Example You have 10 HP max. You currently have 9 HP, but your entire bar is yellow. You are currently as sick as possible. If you gain HP, you will go back up to 10 and, barring any more damage, survive. You're still marked with 9 points of poison, it's just not enough to kill you any more.

That's about what I was expecting. I've gotten that message more times with this demon brand of venom than in pretty much any other game I've played, so I just wasn't sure if there was a secondary (lower) cap as to how much you could poison something.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Decided to play a mummy fighter of Oka fit shits. Took him to two runes before I got overwhelmed in Elf vaults. Best I've done yet, thanks to the goons in the discord. Didn't know I'm supposed to do the money God though. Maybe next time I run a mummy

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Means you've burned them so hard they have to just go home and daydream about the revenge rap they are going to write.

edit:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, I don't think that's right. Sounds like someone called for a :siren: CODE DIVE :siren: :

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=%22as+sick+as+possible%22

I think it means just what it says it does. They are as sick as possible.

edit: alarm != siren, giveamanafish.png

edit edit: that's "give a man a fish" not "give a mana fish". But you can do both!

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 9, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Arag is correct. Monster poison works completely differently from player poison; they have iirc 4 levels of poison, which degrades over time & deals damage in the process. Higher levels of poison do dramatically more damage, so you want to ram that 'sick as possible!' cap and keep monsters there. Poison damage and decay is pretty random; there's no concept of "this monster will die to poison".

Player poison used to be closer to this, but it was changed a few years ago.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oops, I'm an idiot. Oh well!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Goodpancakes posted:

Decided to play a mummy fighter of Oka fit shits. Took him to two runes before I got overwhelmed in Elf vaults. Best I've done yet, thanks to the goons in the discord. Didn't know I'm supposed to do the money God though. Maybe next time I run a mummy
Honestly, Oka is a solid choice for Mu. Heroism really helps make up for your lovely apts, and weapons/armor gifts are always good. Gozag's also a strong god, but he's harder to get the hang of.

(I might be biased because my Mu win is a MuGl^Oka)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

rcfile pros: Is there something I can add to my config so it gives a -more- prompt on any Xom dickery?

Actually having fun with a DSCK who found the Lajatang of Order early on (which must be the ultimate gently caress you to Zin), but I keep missing Xom's antics in the general spam.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

rcfile pros: Is there something I can add to my config so it gives a -more- prompt on any Xom dickery?

Actually having fun with a DSCK who found the Lajatang of Order early on (which must be the ultimate gently caress you to Zin), but I keep missing Xom's antics in the general spam.
Should be as simple as
code:
force_more_message += Xom
Shouldn't it?

As an added bonus, it will also force a -more- upon seeing Xom altars.

Edit Also, I stand by my assertion that getting hit by calcifying dust should force a more. I added it to my RC, but without it, the game actively punishes new players who don't know any better for using Tab.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Should be as simple as
code:
force_more_message += Xom
Shouldn't it?

As an added bonus, it will also force a -more- upon seeing Xom altars.

That should catch 99% of it, I think there's the odd time where Xom goes "Catch!" or similar and the word doesn't appear in the message. I'll give it a go and see. Thanks!

Given Xom effects are captured in the log, though, it feels like there should be a more elegant solution than brute-forcing mentions of their name. Like there's an event name covering them all that the game could pause on.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Had a great MfIE game going that I lost due to underestimating ugly things. Ran into one horrible thing after another in that game, too. A wolf spider in Lair:1, a ridiculous player ghost early in the Dungeon, a death yak somewhere in like D:10, a cyclops AND manticore around that same level, christ.

Any recommendations for stuff to add to rcfiles? Anything to optimize my game would help, I already take slow enough. The problem with a lot of resources I can find online is that while it's easy enough to figure out each switch and what they do (there's a manual after all), I still lack the intuition of how I would use these functions to benefit my game. At this point all I've got in there is to have an autoexplore delay so I can watch the path my character is taking while I press "o". Thanks in advance.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think "force_more_message +=" is one of the more useful rcfile additions, since it sometimes stops you from getting yourself in a poo poo situation because you kept mashing tab. Examples of ones I use;

quote:

force_more_message += shining eye comes into view
force_more_message += Mara comes into view
force_more_message += Mennas comes into view
force_more_message += orb of fire comes into view
force_more_message += ancient lich comes into view
force_more_message += caustic shrike comes into view
force_more_message += juggernaut comes into view
force_more_message += calcifying dust hits you

This will force pause the game when those monsters enter LOS for the first time. The last one keeps me from spending more than one turn in calcifying dust like an idiot.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What's the autoexplore delay? I was just coming in here to ask about that after I watched it on someone else's game.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Goodpancakes posted:

What's the autoexplore delay? I was just coming in here to ask about that after I watched it on someone else's game.

code:
# For autoexploring differently. Totally optional if it's not your thing.
show_travel_trail       = false
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = 2

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This is my DrVM of Hep that's going OK, and then I got this axe:

A - +6 war axe of Massacring {speed, rF+ Str+5}

Is it worth training axes right now and switching this bad boy out in late game, or do I just use it occasionally and stick to more casting? It's so good, I've never seen a decent axe of speed before in the early game

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's alright, but even a good war axe will start getting outclassed soon after Lair/Orc. Maybe some light Axes investment if it's going to be your melee backup, but I wouldn't go full-tilt axes.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Devlan Mud posted:

code:
# For autoexploring differently. Totally optional if it's not your thing.
show_travel_trail       = false
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = 2

I'll add that you can set this up to 20, and I recommend you do so (I have it at 20 right now and actually wish it were a bit slower). It's in milliseconds, I think.

Thank you to everyone so far for the other rcfile advice. I'll add some things. I'll probably add a notice thing to Okawaru shrines because I'm doing the MfIE thing lately.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Seriously debating on the relative merits of a NaWi^D stabber, and a NaWi^C stabber, especially if I go hybrid. On one hand, Dith gives me an umbra, and shadow step, and I can still use haste. On the other hand, Chei gives me absolutely absurd stat boosts, and slouch. I would get my EV into the stratosphere, and I'd be able to wear much heavier armors mostly without penalty.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how much participation in the tourney is going to be depressed by current events

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do formicids benefit from oka's finesse? I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

Do formicids benefit from oka's finesse? I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

As far as I can tell, yes. Finesse is not blocked under stasis. (I haven't personally tried running a Formicid of Okawaru but I can't find anything that says it has changed since that update.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So oka is actually a pretty good god for formicids, then? A lot of thier power comes from being able to tool up with the heaviest of everything so getting weapons, armor and shields as god gifts should really benefit them, right?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

So oka is actually a pretty good god for formicids, then? A lot of thier power comes from being able to tool up with the heaviest of everything so getting weapons, armor and shields as god gifts should really benefit them, right?

I can't see that it would be a bad choice for a fighty Formicid, no. I know even before Finesse worked under stasis there were people winning with crossbowmen formicids of Oka, since as it turns out being able to wield an arbalest or a triple crossbow and a shield when Heroism exists is a pretty solid option. Finesse only makes it better.

Watching one of them is how I learned that the Formicid ability to use a two-handed weapon and a shield applied to ranged weapons, too. Until that point I'd assumed it didn't. But nope! Crossbow and shield is just fine. (Or regular bow, but they get -2 aptitudes to that.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 10, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

I think "force_more_message +=" is one of the more useful rcfile additions, since it sometimes stops you from getting yourself in a poo poo situation because you kept mashing tab. Examples of ones I use;

This will force pause the game when those monsters enter LOS for the first time. The last one keeps me from spending more than one turn in calcifying dust like an idiot.

Where do I add this for my offline Crawling? These are borderline necessary additions for the tab-obsessed like myself.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

Where do I add this for my offline Crawling? These are borderline necessary additions for the tab-obsessed like myself.

Crawl offline options are mostly in init.txt in directory "settings" under your game directory: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Crawl_options. There is currently no option to make offline count, sorry.

Also, this just in, you can explode saltlings with LRD they're like little popcorns

edit: peacekeepers blow up with a funky blue flame

crystal guardians are in the vaults and they blow up like crystal statues

PF didn't know you loved LRD so much, also thank you:

edit: ok, I am mad, you can't LRD molten gargoyles. What?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 10, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Araganzar posted:

edit: ok, I am mad, you can't LRD molten gargoyles. What?
They are molten, thus liquid. I hope you can freeze them to make them solid, then LRD. I don't know if you can, but I would love that it works.

Ogre Heartbreak Worst part is that I didn't quaff that cure mut pot which might have fixed the teleport mutation that lead to my death. I should have just gone to bed.
e: hmm, interesting corruption in the rPois listing of the dump

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Does strength effect bow damage? Seems like my centaur arcane marksman can't kill things for poo poo, I mostly just run away

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wolfechu posted:

That should catch 99% of it, I think there's the odd time where Xom goes "Catch!" or similar and the word doesn't appear in the message. I'll give it a go and see. Thanks!

Given Xom effects are captured in the log, though, it feels like there should be a more elegant solution than brute-forcing mentions of their name. Like there's an event name covering them all that the game could pause on.

code:
fmm := force_more_message
stop := runrest_stop_message

: if you.god() == "Xom" then
stop += god:. 
: end

fmm += god:.
This will only work properly if you save the game after taking Xom, unless you are a CK.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

taqueso posted:

e: hmm, interesting corruption in the rPois listing of the dump

That would be your browser failing to convert the ASCII code for the infinity symbol, since you died while petrified :eng101:

You had a bunch of tools available to survive even without curing teleportitis (Haste, read tele, wand of heal wounds, fan of gales, sack of spiders, etc.). Next time you end up somewhere bad, I would recommend stopping to think about your plan of action to survive (especially on Zot:5, where you should go hog wild on any stocked consumables since there is little else to do at that point).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Because they're molten

Edit: how good is PArrow these days? Worth it in spider & shoals?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 10, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Floodkiller posted:

That would be your browser failing to convert the ASCII code for the infinity symbol, since you died while petrified :eng101:

You had a bunch of tools available to survive even without curing teleportitis (Haste, read tele, wand of heal wounds, fan of gales, sack of spiders, etc.). Next time you end up somewhere bad, I would recommend stopping to think about your plan of action to survive (especially on Zot:5, where you should go hog wild on any stocked consumables since there is little else to do at that point).

Yep, I really should have gone to bed a couple hours before that. Man, being petrified really really hurt.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Speleothing posted:

Because they're molten

Edit: how good is PArrow these days? Worth it in spider & shoals?

Really hasn't changed in status as a long range alternative to Iron Shot for 3 rune games. It can still poison resistant natural and plant monsters, too. In Spider and Shoals it's rather strong because few enemy types are actually resistant (demonic crawlers, emperor scorpions, and ghost moths in Spider, water elementals in Shoals).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
As a melee ant man, how bad is the amulet of air's InAcc malus? Will this kill me?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've gotten one permabazaar and two timed bazaars so far this game. :stare:

(It's actually kind of annoying because I don't have much gold.)

E: "Cemen's Gadget Emporium"

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

As a melee ant man, how bad is the amulet of air's InAcc malus? Will this kill me?

In the early-mid game, it will make things more difficult but not impossible with good tactics. Once you have your weapon to min-delay, the benefits will definitely outweigh the downsides. Definitely hold off if you are struggling to deal with black mamba or spriggans.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Ok, someone give me a good roadmap for extended with this character (DeNe of Veh):
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Have LCS, Firestorm, will have Necromutation soon. Plenty of power, just not sure the best order to do things now that you can't avoid stat drain and mutation, etc. I quit doing extended when it became more of a pain than it was worth.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carcer posted:

Yes, except it's not pretty good, it's really good. FoFi^Oka is why I have the fastest realtime speedrun right now, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Goddam Veh gave me LCS, Chain Lightning, and Shatter. I have 0 earth and 6 Air. Guess I gotta save up the $1800 for Annihilations if I want Firestorm

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Araganzar posted:

Ok, someone give me a good roadmap for extended with this character (DeNe of Veh):
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Have LCS, Firestorm, will have Necromutation soon. Plenty of power, just not sure the best order to do things now that you can't avoid stat drain and mutation, etc. I quit doing extended when it became more of a pain than it was worth.

Switch to amulet of the Air.
Drop Invisibility because your cloak supplies it and you barely use the spell in the first place (or keep for Zigs and the levels with ghost moths).
Dump Silence, you're basically a blaster caster and being without is going to be problematic, especially where it would be effective again (Tomb with a quickblade of pain? HA!).
Dump two of LCS or Orb or Iron Shot. All of them are single target spells with 2 that can miss on evasive targets and one that can have trouble in corridors.
Dump Animate Skeleton.
Arguably dump Bolt of Fire since Firestorm does the job more efficiently.
Necromutation isn't greatly necessary and can sometimes be a trap. The alternative is Death's Door and Borg's Revivification which are easier to learn.
Maybe learn another level 9 spell, leaning towards Shatter since you've got the Earth Magic built up already.

Abyss->rumble around Zot for more XP->Vaults:5->Pan->Tomb->Hell->Orb run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

rchandra posted:

code:
fmm := force_more_message
stop := runrest_stop_message

stop += god:. 

fmm += god:.
This will only work properly if you save the game after taking Xom, unless you are a CK.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Character's long dead, of course, but I've wanted something like this for Xom worshippers for ages.

• Locked thread