Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Surprisingly I can handle the trip to about Lair. That's when it all starts to fall apart.

There's a game going on with an OpWr^Chei but they're exploring Hell and doing a full 15 rune run. The perfect way to grind it in for us lovely Octopode players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Princey posted:

Somebody recommend me some combos to play. I'm home sick and I want to exacerbate my illness by frustrating myself with Crawl.

Options:

1. Easiest combos to win other than melee fightmans. I've only ever won melee fightmans, it would be nice to do something else.
2. Combos that are just loving fun to play, even if questionably viable.
3. Gods that are cool and fun and new or underused, and combos that synergize well with them.
Merfolk Ice Elementalist is your stereotypical hybrid, training Ice Magic solely until you find yourself a polearm and then use Ozu's Armour and other buffs before melee fightmanning.
This came up in the tourney Discord but Hill Orc Abyssal Knight gets you with Lugonu easily on a chassis that already favours Invocations. Essentially a different method of hybridization. This is not a HOAK! :v:
Then your stereotypical glass cannon blaster mage is Deep Elf/Tengu Fire Elementalist. Both can poo poo out a ton of damage but they tend to be fragile. A lesser form of it is High Elf/Draconian Wizard/Skald whose book either gives you less damaging spells but more paths to choose from or basically an array of buffs combined with the species being a good hybrid chassis.

As for combos for gods new and underused..
Demonspawn Gladiator/Monk of Uskayaw
Centaur Hunter of Fedhas
Troll Monk of Hep

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Knowing how much Fighting to take is basically a player by player choice. The most noticeable thing it does is provide you with an HP bonus but it also provides a slight bonus to weapon accuracy and damage that will have a larger impact when you have greater weapon skill. Thus at this point you should be asking how much HP you think you can get away with before turning it off. Same with Armour, Shield and Dodging; you watch your AC, SH, and EV respectively and see how much damage enemies are dealing to you during combat, particularly those coloured yellow. Feel safe enough? Turn them off or turn on other skills to train.

Weapon skill, particularly when it is your main Kill Dudes skill, is probably the first thing to get soft-capped. Which is to say, you're aiming for minimum weapon delay of your current weapon. 8 is rather low for where you are. Turn off everything except that and keep going like that until ~12-14. After all, if you kill an enemy fast it will not have as many opportunities to hurt you.

Lair is probably your best bet if you're not really familiar with anything past this point. D is pretty even with it but it has opportunities with vaults to throw out of depth encounters against you whereas Lair the bad things are more well-known (Yak, Hydra, Black Mamba, Elephants for the more common dangers).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Clearly you should've gone to Elf earlier! :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Speleothing posted:

Because they're molten

Edit: how good is PArrow these days? Worth it in spider & shoals?

Really hasn't changed in status as a long range alternative to Iron Shot for 3 rune games. It can still poison resistant natural and plant monsters, too. In Spider and Shoals it's rather strong because few enemy types are actually resistant (demonic crawlers, emperor scorpions, and ghost moths in Spider, water elementals in Shoals).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Araganzar posted:

Ok, someone give me a good roadmap for extended with this character (DeNe of Veh):
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Have LCS, Firestorm, will have Necromutation soon. Plenty of power, just not sure the best order to do things now that you can't avoid stat drain and mutation, etc. I quit doing extended when it became more of a pain than it was worth.

Switch to amulet of the Air.
Drop Invisibility because your cloak supplies it and you barely use the spell in the first place (or keep for Zigs and the levels with ghost moths).
Dump Silence, you're basically a blaster caster and being without is going to be problematic, especially where it would be effective again (Tomb with a quickblade of pain? HA!).
Dump two of LCS or Orb or Iron Shot. All of them are single target spells with 2 that can miss on evasive targets and one that can have trouble in corridors.
Dump Animate Skeleton.
Arguably dump Bolt of Fire since Firestorm does the job more efficiently.
Necromutation isn't greatly necessary and can sometimes be a trap. The alternative is Death's Door and Borg's Revivification which are easier to learn.
Maybe learn another level 9 spell, leaning towards Shatter since you've got the Earth Magic built up already.

Abyss->rumble around Zot for more XP->Vaults:5->Pan->Tomb->Hell->Orb run.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Death's Door without Kiku is essentially a maximum of 13 turns to get the gently caress out. With Kiku, it's 26 turns max of "kill this room and get the gently caress out." The key here is to use it to get the gently caress out not to keep fighting a losing battle for longer.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Fire it off when scary things appear. You have to remember that the Banish ability/spell checks against MR so it isn't perfectly reliable. So you aren't going to be using it to scum XP, you're using it as a danger eliminator.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Do it because you're a Cleaver man.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Clearly a demi-halfling. Would have been worshipped as a god in the early ages of the Halfling civilization! :v:

Also blinkbolt might be too useful as an escape option; it would be a dual-class lower power version of controlled blink which would not be affected by -Tele levels.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's the message given if the to-hit roll would have hit but the addition of the to-hit penalty from your armour is what made you miss. Unless you are some sort of living god in terms of stats and skills you cannot fully remove that penalty for something as encumbering as plate (18). If you have maxed Armour skill and matched strength to the ER, you will still have 2-3 penalty to your to-hit roll as an example.

Train your weapon skill, fighting and armour (and shields!) to alleviate the missing in general for heavy armours.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

A pretension that you don't cast a long shadow and ignores that throwing and casting had no such issues? Yeah, that was a dumb and unspoken limitation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

What're the breakpoints for weapon-independent skills?

Like, I know with most weapon skills, the breakpoints are '1.0' and 'mindelay', and Spellcasting's is "Spel * Int >= multiple of 50" for spell hunger, etc.

What about fighting, or dodging, or stealth? Do I really need to break out the calculator every time, or are there other reasonable rule of thumb options? Armor = current armor's encumbrance rating?

I like kicking around 20 as a good number to hit in AC/EV (or both!) if I'm a melee tabber or somebody who's going to be in melee range in general around the early midgame. Train Dodging/Armour to reach that amount, adjust where necessary. Fighting is solely based on how much HP you're comfortable with having, ~100 mid-Lair is typical for a fightmans in my case. Stealth is generally ignored unless doing a stabby dude or an early Abyss, in which case throw investment into it until some arbitrary pip is reached. It's purely subjective what you need in these skills.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Darox posted:

Relatedly, does anyone have ideas for getting the Lord of Darkness (Win without entering lair, orc & vaults) banner? Even surviving depths without that xp & gear is rough, getting 2 pan or hell runes to go with it is crazy.

I've seen the typical Lord of Darkness wins come from Ghouls because of their immunity to torment and decent apts to be some sort of unarmed tabber as their early game and relatively easy hybridization into Ice Magic and Necromancy later on. The stealth apt allows them to semi-sneak Depths to a portal to scum Abyss/Hell/Pan for xp (without horribly mutating to boot!). Probably god choice would be split between Okawaru for relatively easy gear or Makhleb to keep HP topped up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Prism posted:

Ghouls fix rotting by eating meat, so as long as they kill the wretched stars fast maybe it's not a problem?

I mean, I wouldn't try it personally, but if you want to take the risk for Lord of Darkness anyway...

The real nastiness is the stat drain mutating can impose on undead instead of the rotting, anyway, when you haven't reached the point in the game where experience is abundant. That's sort of why going Unarmed as your main killdudes is recommended here because the high base damage would render wretched stars inert in pretty short order.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Probably to deal with the special casing Mummies had to handle rot, since aside from their ability to perma-drain 1 MP to clear all of it the only other way to heal rot was with a wand of heal wounds. I think that ability is gone now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So if you happen to banish them via distortion you get 50% of the experience and no real consequences? If so, I think I've found an excellent method of ghost busting via AKs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sorry Nemelex Fan team for never really going nose to the grindstone on this. I never picked up the inertia for more than spurts of runs. While I was mostly successful in at least hitting Lair in the combinations I chose I usually ended up making some stupid "Oh I can survive this next hit..welp" choice no matter how many times the game gave me some awesome floor items to compensate. Lurked the Discord a lot though, had fun with the crew there.

Faded altars are my "eat the purple" weakness.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Okay the code for entering a new level for the first time is, IIRC empty energy for all monsters which theoretically should allow you to jump back up the stairs without anything being able to do anything to you except maybe one thing. All other times, monsters are playing by the normal rules. Couple this with it actually takes 1.5 aut to take the stairs instead of maybe the expected 1.0 for a move (taking more for slower moving species and vice versa) and an unfortunate player could have a monster decide to cast spells twice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

hito posted:

++++++.... seems way too low for a Spriggan with 18 DEX and 15 Stealth. Did the values for how much stealth is in each plus change or something?

Don't think so. It might also be slightly dinged from wearing the troll leather so it's just under 7 pips.

Anyway, after a certain point you have to manufacture your own stab chances. This means either getting Invisibility via evocation or spell, use Confuse/EH (you *never* used them!), or summons for distract stabs. Since you appear to be eschewing the whole stabbing route altogether you can just move into further hybridization with long blade and charms.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

So, I'm playing Crawl again.

I've got a Vinestalker of Hep running around Lair. I found Vampire's Tooth. Probably not worth it, right?

God, it's weird playing a character with an AC under 35 and a base weapon damage under 15.

It's better than vampirism because it heals the full damage dealt instead of a fraction. It'll do you fine until you can fully enchant and brand that quickblade you're packing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

All regen sources stack now. Drive it higher and higher.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you want to continue down the Hexes route then you'll want Mass Confusion and Discord. Otherwise summons is your go-to distraction with your pivot point typically being Summon Mana Viper. For 3 runes Shadow Creatures is all you need.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

..Then Invisibility and/or further hybridization?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Take Slime slow as a non-heavy armour tabber and you'll obtain a lot of experience that way. Good way of bolstering yourself for the end game. It's far more even in terms of dangerous encounters than Elf.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Is there a situation where amulet of the gourmand is useful? If not it would be fun if they added something.

It lets you use higher level spells or rods with abandon without a staff of energy early on because it's a lot easier to top back up on food.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's a monkey's hand wish. Two slots for boots but the game specifically is programmed to never find them when you're a Felid. And without code diving, you would never know.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hey now, we've protested the removal of hammers and their refusal to add more crab monsters. :v:

Seriously, we aren't actually defending the randomized energy system, the guys who have spoken up so far have been explaining what the system is and why potentially it is still in place.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hook into cross-weapon training and use a better quality axe for a while! :black101:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Toxic Radiance technically isn't damage dealing. You're only increasing the poison in their systems that is dealing the damage!
Also Ignite Poison isn't directly damage dealing by the same logic. Not your fault that because of their poison you had introduced into their system they are now tremendously on fire.
Also also Conjure Flame already doesn't allow you to drop it directly on an enemy. They have to be morons to walk in there in the first place.

If the god is a rules lawyer as well, he would allow it. :colbert:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Dairy Power posted:

Oh and I just got Spellforged Servitor up and running with Orb of Destruction + Iron shot as the only available spells on my MiFi^Ash. First time ever using it and I'm in love. So fun to watch a conga line of orbs smash into enemies. Should I memorize anything else for it? I have a few spell levels I could open up if there's something worthwhile.

Edit: On the other hand, I still haven't found spectral weapon or regen... maybe I should save those spell levels.

Impending "RIP servitor took me out with an OOD"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

I keep splatting GaFis against early ogres :(

should I just be dodging them for a couple dlvls or what?

The maximum amount of potential damage an ogre can put out is 30 damage a swing. If you cannot take a hit like that and kill one quickly, back off. Later on you have AC to reduce those damage numbers, EV to dodge the swings, HP to tank and weapon skill to deal with them. However if you have a good ranged option (magic, blowgun, maybe a ranged weapon if you started with some skill) you could take one earlier.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Or you can recall them into the acid trip that is the Abyss. It's not like you have to suffer alone!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

High Elf or Human are the most well-rounded Wizard types. Demigod if you want to nix god abilities.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm sorry but could you not make rectangles? They look too much like erections for my comfort.

Also no shops in direct cardinal directions of each other. I might mistake them for nipples if I glanced at your screen.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm envious. You're tripping all over them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's about as bad as using scrolls of immolation when you're surrounded by popcorn without sufficient rF. Except in your case you're doing it to friendly popcorn!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nice Robe of Night knockoff. Couldn't quite match the real thing but tried through that hefty DEX bonus. :v:

Also having Disjunction sort of castable but never cast. Passage of Golubria completely ignored too.

Then your only use of the bag of spiders was at the end, just before you walked up the stairs on D:1.

Good job, regardless! En is still the better stabber class, though; you can get stabs right from level 2 that trains better ways of stabbing via Hexes whereas EE needs to either find a well-positioned sleeping monster to do the same with Passwall or wait until level 4 with a tougher spell to cast.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm just imagining a broken being suffering heavily from PTSD turning slowly to some enemy and, unblinking, yell something incoherent but *strong* to keep it away. If it doesn't work, he catches his breath and does it again. Because how can he distinguish the hallucination from reality anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's a strange game, the winning move is not to play.. :v:

I prefer the game where you try to get as many OODs in stable orbit around you as you can.

• Locked thread