Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
So, which team is going to overpay Rajai Davis next year just because of this game?

Let's spitball our best guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mister Perky posted:

So, which team is going to overpay Rajai Davis next year just because of this game?

rajai davis loving owns

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm guessing Will Ferrell's Haray Caray is going to appear on Saturday Night Live this week.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Guys the Cubs won the loving World Series.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

may god have mercy on us all

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm so happy. I don't want tonight to end.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

R.D. Mangles posted:

may god have mercy on us all

If 2016 has taught me anything, it's that I was right in figuring out there is no god.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The overreliance on Bauer/Tomlin was what came back to bite the Indians in the rear end. Sending both guys out there on short rest (especially Bauer who was bad all postseason) while not being ready to pull them if trouble hit was such a bad move, and you can't do that when you're the worse team. The Cubs were the much better team and actually played to win 4 out of 7, while the Indians played to win 3 and then hope to steal a 4th. It almost worked, but it shouldn't have and it didn't. Congrats, you deserved the win.

I mean it was kind of due to the whole starting rotation chaos with all the injuries. Francona did what he thought he had to do, but he overused not only Bauer and Tomlin, but Kluber (three starts in one series?!), Miller, etc., and the Cubs eventually figured out all of those guys. To an extent it was unavoidable, with the injuries to Salazar et. al. but the other factor is that the Cubs have been doing this poo poo all season long. Against any other team Cleveland would've won, but the Cubs have been notorious for going cold and then getting hot when they figure out their opponent. It's been loving agonizing to follow them, and I'm happy they finally won, but I'm happier that it's all over now. Congratulations, Cubs, but gently caress the Cubs, lol.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey did you hear that Jon Lester doesn't like to throw to bases?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wonder if my boss will buy a sick day usage tomorrow(well today)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qNFjJn3No

Having spent the last couple hours in reality I'm gonna say the real version is a little better

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

For the record I love Francona and think he did a fantastic, beyond perfect job until Game 5 (and has done a great job for years) and I love him and hope he stays manager for years and years as do the players, but I am really sad like I was in 1997 except now I'm an adult so I try to analyze what we could have done differently instead of crying like a baby into mommy's arms to handle World Series sadness. :smith:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Mister Perky posted:

The Giants are looking for a big power bat for left field!

Inspector_666 posted:

Eh... What's next?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Atomizer posted:

Hey did you hear that Jon Lester doesn't like to throw to bases?

gently caress Joe Buck. Runners got loving thrown the loving hell out mist of the times they tried Lester

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

New Concept Hole posted:

Eh... What's next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R2IJFCUBFs&t=255s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qNFjJn3No

Having spent the last couple hours in reality I'm gonna say the real version is a little better

So happy they won't be able to loving use us as the loving emotional punching bag anymore

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

:unsmith:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/_claremoser/status/794045277782974464

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Next up, several months of https://open.spotify.com/album/78LQcHefp9FSXjAd7g0shr

BASEBALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS, IT IS THE BEST.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Coming into game 7, the Indians had scored 20 runs this World Series, and the Cubs had scored 19 runs. Which means that, after game 7, both teams scored 27 runs in the series. Literally a run differential of 0

What a loving series

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, let's see if I've got the new one yet.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

So the Blackhawks gonna blow a 3-1 lead for The Stanley Cup?

to the Sharks, completing the circle

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I want to see the Indians-winning Nike and Budweiser commercials

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TMMadman posted:

Also, now I can get a new avatar.

It's a shame to retire this guy, but it's time.
<------

I didn't want to buy one during the playoffs because I'm superstitious and didn't want to jinx anything.

Aw, I'm too late to suggest my idea:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

rajai davis loving owns

I regret that is impossible to agree with a statement more than 100%, for I surely would here

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

New Concept Hole posted:

Eh... What's next?

Next up: Cubs will win the Superbowl! :getin:

I thought I might cry when they won, and I actually cried a little on multiple occasions earlier in the season just thinking about how this was actually gonna be the year, but I was with my family watching the game and was just happy to share the moment with them. I didn't cry when the Cubs won, but I cry a little when I see these stories of old people who've waited several decades to experience this moment.

The_Hat posted:

Coming into game 7, the Indians had scored 20 runs this World Series, and the Cubs had scored 19 runs. Which means that, after game 7, both teams scored 27 runs in the series. Literally a run differential of 0

What a loving series

Hey remember when we thought this game would end like 3-2 or 1-0? FIFTEEN loving RUNS! More than half the runs in the entire World Series were scored in game 7!!!

TMMadman posted:

Ok, let's see if I've got the new one yet.

That is beautiful.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

to the Sharks, completing the circle

Not quite complete, as Sharks/Hawks could only be a Conference Championship, not a Stanley Cup Final

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshifan823 posted:

Aw, I'm too late to suggest my idea:

Well, it can always be changed later.

I'm not really a religious guy, but I couldn't pass up the bible quote.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Perky posted:

Not quite complete, as Sharks/Hawks could only be a Conference Championship, not a Stanley Cup Final

The Cycle will spread throughout sports.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The_Hat posted:

What a loving series

I'm too drunk to look for the source but IIRC somebody mentioned in the GDT that this series from a statistical standpoint was the most evenly matched in history. Game 7 was a down and out slugfest between the best two teams in baseball in 2016, and the Cubs came out on top by a hair. It doesn't get better than that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Atomizer posted:

Hey remember when we thought this game would end like 3-2 or 1-0? FIFTEEN loving RUNS! More than half the runs in the entire World Series were scored in game 7!!!

Blah blah blah pace of play, I know several people were intensely into tonight's game who didn't give a single gently caress about baseball before the series.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I'm too drunk to look for the source but IIRC somebody mentioned in the GDT that this series from a statistical standpoint was the most evenly matched in history. Game 7 was a down and out slugfest between the best two teams in baseball in 2016, and the Cubs came out on top by a hair. It doesn't get better than that.

i am sure i have like 3% more gray hair tomorrow

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQWbKqFVoeQ

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

I'll drink to that. It was a hell of a series, Cleveland. Hope you get yours soon and also lose the racist thing with your team.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mister Perky posted:

I'm not big into hockey tbh

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Blah blah blah pace of play, I know several people were intensely into tonight's game who didn't give a single gently caress about baseball before the series.

Yeah at the risk of being the "think of the ratings!" guy, think of the ratings! This game 7 is the best commercial for baseball that baseball could air.

[And if whatever garbage Thursday Night matchup the NFL has on tomorrow draws a bigger viewership than this game 7 then its time to write off democracy as a failed experiment and strip America/Americans of all right to self-determination on grounds of us all being too stupid to be trusted with any choice]

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I think I need a new avatar too and I figure at this point what better than a gif of Rizzo or somebody from Cubshine and Lollipops

or maybe Pear Baby

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm not big into hockey tbh

It's cool. The Warriors being hapless for almost my whole life has kinda put a permanent damper on me ever really getting too into basketball, even now that they're actually good. Different Strokes, etc.

Blackhawks can blow a 3-1 to the Bruins or Rangers and then the Giants can stage a 3-1 comeback on the Red Sox or Yankees to complete the cycle though! :getin:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

I think I need a new avatar too and I figure at this point what better than a gif of Rizzo or somebody from Cubshine and Lollipops

or maybe Pear Baby

[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I watched the game with my parents and younger brother. My Dad's like me, an on-and-off Cubs fan over the decades, nothing hardcore. My Mom's a North-sider, just never been too into sports, and my little brother said "Cubs suck" to me when I was watching a Cubs game around early June. :rolleyes: Still, it was just great to be able to share this occasion with the family, regardless of how long everyone's been waiting for it.

• Locked thread