Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

For those curious about the Chicago Tribune's front page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/794195938403192834

This truly is the greatest day in the history of our sport.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Meanwhile the Cardinals officially extended Matheny through 2020. Kill me.

noooooo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That was the most exciting baseball game I've ever watched. Anthony Rizzo is possibly the most adorable baseballman ever.

But now that the Cubs have won, it's time for me to go back to complaining that the Brewers have never won a world series.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LOL Mcgibblets was the guy begging for Rizzo to be benched?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I really hope the Bartman hate is over and done with

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

LOL Mcgibblets was the guy begging for Rizzo to be benched?

Yeah, but only for the ABs where he wasn't gonna get a hit though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That was the most exciting baseball game I've ever watched.

I keep seeing people say this did people not watch game 6 2011?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Both games deserve to be talked about in the same sentence and which one you think is better/more exciting is going to come down to who you're a fan of.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was more personally excited by Game 6 in 2011 but I'm a Cardinals fan. I'm assuming a neutral fan would find this game more exciting. Longer droughts, double rather than single elimination.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
World Series G7 overnights beat the NBA Finals, and every non-NFL sporting event since the 2001 World Series.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/11/cubs-indians-ratings-game-seven-world-series-overnights-fox/

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Last night's game was great, no doubt. But 2011 game 6 was literally down to the last strike two times and a team came back from two 2-run deficits in the 9th inning or later.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Game 7 extra innings.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A.o.D. posted:

Game 7 extra innings.

This plus the narrative for both teams.

Also recency bias.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Both of them were sloppy as gently caress, so '91 game 7 still wins

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For some reason both in the LCS and World Series, there are more great game 6s than game 7s.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The Mets have renamed their AA affiliate the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.

TheChaosPath posted:

Both of them were sloppy as gently caress, so '91 game 7 still wins

Lonnie Smith

Yes I know the Pretty Good video

Yes I know he probably lost it and didn't get deked, either way that baserunning is enough slop in a 0-0 game to equal last night

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

The Mets have renamed their AA affiliate the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.

I can't wait for the SI Yankees to announce their new name.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

For some reason both in the LCS and World Series, there are more great game 6s than game 7s.

I don't have the numbers but I have a feeling that might be because there are more game 6s then 7s.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I didn't get really into baseball until 2012. I started watching because I moved to a new town where there was very little to do and needed a way to kill time in the summer, and then I got hooked.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Who's ready for the Bears to go undefeated and win the superbowl?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I keep seeing people say this did people not watch game 6 2011
Game 7 2016 was as wacky clownball as that one with higher stakes. Definitely a top 5 WS game, probably gonna be slotted from second to fourth when the dust clears.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

RC Cola posted:

I've got bad news for you.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I've got bad news for you.

For the rest of the season* also for the Vikings and Packers to lose a bunch so they can make the playoffs*

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Theo Epstein for president!

We KNOW he can make America great again!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Almost as good as the girls on my fb feed last night just finding out about Chapman's extra-curricular activities.

"There's a women beater on this bandwagon? Why wasn't I told about this?"

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

chilihead posted:

Theo Epstein for president!

We KNOW he can make America great again!

Does that mean he would tear down and rebuild the whole farm system? :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lifelong Indians fan from growing up in Ohio. Sitting at work gutted still. I remember feeling just like this in 97 at 16 years old.

I can't really process this. This series was great, and last night was probably the best baseball game I've ever seen. I can't believe how much of an emotional roller-coaster it was. I went absolutely apeshit when Davis hit his game-tying donger and thought there was no way the Indians weren't going to score in the bottom of the 9th. That 14-second rain delay was dumb and killed the momentum.

The funny thing was we let the kids stay up to watch it. After the Cubs won, my 11-year old patted me on the back and said, "well.... there's always next year." Thanks buddy. Even though you kept asking which team was pitching while reading your Minecraft book.

Well, that's my story. Congrats Cubs. It was cool to see you guys win it. Hope it feels as good as the Cavs coming back on the Warriors.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 3, 2016

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

RC Cola posted:

I'm basically personally boycotting football this year because of the head injury stuff, and the WS victory will make it much easier to make it through.

Edit: aside from a few doofy playoff posters (remember that guy that was patronizingly rooting for the Cubs in game 5 so they could just have one at home before losing? LOL) I do feel bad for the Cleveland fans. The good news is both teams will be good next year and maybe we will be back here a year from now again.

beejay fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 3, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ruddiger posted:

Almost as good as the girls on my fb feed last night just finding out about Chapman's extra-curricular activities.

"There's a women beater on this bandwagon? Why wasn't I told about this?"

I assuaged at least some of my Chapman-on-my-team guilt with quite a bit of RAINN donations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

RC Cola posted:

worldseries

edit: stanleycup

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/794057504871346176

This is pretty loving cool, but I hope Obama wears his Sox jersey when they visit. :twisted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

worldseries

Chicago Fire exists too

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

worldseries

nbafinals

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ruddiger posted:

This is pretty loving cool, but I hope Obama wears his Sox jersey when they visit. :twisted:

On the other Hand Hillary and Laura Ricketts together would own pretty hard. While pissing off daddy and her brothers a bunch.

RC Cola posted:

Actually if the corollary holds the Bears would make the super bowl. and then blow a 30-10 lead via a final a Jay Cutler Pick Six.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

The only Cubs who are/could be FA after this year are:

Joe Smith
Dexter Fowler (5M mutual option that the Cubs agreed not to pick up as a condition of signing him for 8M)
Aroldis Chapman
Jason Hammel (10M team option/2M buyout)
Travis Wood
David Ross (Retiring)
Chris Coghlan
Trevor Cahill

I'm not sure any of them are getting QOs since they set the amount at 17.2 million/1 year, you can't QO Chapman and the FO told Dex they wouldn't QO him two years in a row.

Joe Smith - Pass
Dexter Fowler - I love him, but with Schwarber back and Almora looking very good, we just don't need to spend the 18-mil or so it will cost to keep him here.
Aroldis Chapman - :byewhore: Get Jansen instead
Jason Hammel - Worth the 10M for a 5th starter. Take the team option.
Travis Wood - Please re-sign him
David Ross - Come back as some sort of coach in the dugout
Chris Coghlan - He seems to thrive as a Cub, we could always use more lefty bats, and he'd be cheap. Go for it.
Trevor Cahill - Sure, but only if he doesn't cost a lot

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'm not a Cubs fan, but I could not tear my eyes away from that game last night. I normally don't even like baseball.

There are just some games, however, that you have to watch--Game 4 in 2004, when the Red Sox clinched, and last night. Congratulations, Cubs fans. I think you've earned it. :unsmith:

That said, you should probably fire Aroldis Chapman. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ruddiger posted:

I absolutely would love it if he pulled some goofy poo poo like that.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cubs win the world series and matheny gets an extension what a terrible season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Now that Ross is retiring can he come hang out with me and call me buddy and give me life advice all the time

• Locked thread