Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

aw I wanted more baseball

Game 8? :confuoot:

gently caress it, let's play the entire season in November from now on. :woop:

Quest For Glory II posted:

there's going to be a trail of tears out of that ballpark

:vince::perfect:

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The Indians used their pitching staff shittily in Games 5 and 6, then the arms Francona refused to put in during those games after they carried him to that point collapsed in Game 7.

That's p. much karma.

I don't think he did terribly, it was pretty clear that he's had some lights-out pitchers and some shaky ones, and he wanted the former rested. He was burning the others in what was a pretty certain loss.

The big problem was trying to rely on his core pitchers (Kluber, Miller, Allen, etc.) through many appearances and short rest, and hoping it didn't come back to bite him in the rear end. It did. Whoops! Against any other team, however, it probably would've worked. Respect, Cleveland.

CubsWoo posted:

The Cubs are undefeated in November

Truer words hath never been spake.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

We probably just watched the greatest baseball game in history

Game 6 & 7 no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well the Cubs finally won, so...this is fine! I'm ready to die now! In fact I died during the 4th inning but that's just a minor technicality. That seems like it would be a fake news article, though, which makes a good segue into this:

The Onion posted:

THE HEAVENS—Following a 8-7 victory over the Cleveland Indians that clinched the team’s first World Series title since 1908, sources confirmed Wednesday that millions of intoxicated Chicago Cubs fans are currently rioting across Heaven.

Moments after watching the game’s final out from above Earth, massive throngs of intoxicated Cubs fans—most of whom went their entire lives without ever seeing the team win a World Series—poured out all over the eternal city, where they reportedly continued drinking heavily as they cheered, hugged strangers, and loudly played golden harps in celebration of their long-awaited championship.

“Let’s go, Cubbies!” screamed Susan Leitch, who died of cardiac arrest in 1997 at the age of 70, before joining hundreds of fellow deceased Chicago fans as they repeatedly sang the chorus of “Go Cubs, Go!” “World Series champs! Finally!”

“Woo!” continued Leitch as she drunkenly stumbled over her feet and broke out in a fit of laughter.

According to reports, after one fan managed to affix a large “W” win flag to the top of the Pearly Gates, a large mob of Cubs fans began violently shaking the gateway as they chanted third baseman Kris Bryant’s name for nearly an hour. Sources confirmed that the gold-paved streets were quickly littered with empty beer cans, cigarettes, spilled food, and other refuse, while a number of inebriated fans were also seen urinating against the sapphire, emerald, and diamond–encrusted walls that protect the sacred realm.

In addition to firing a slew of Roman candles upwards into infinity, a pack of belligerent fans reportedly succeeded in rocking the Throne of God back and forth until the seat of the Almighty Father tipped over onto the ground, after which several men and women began jumping up and down atop it.

Many witnesses also reported seeing at least one fan hunched over and vomiting over the side of a cloud.

“We did it!” shouted former Chicago resident Arnold Mathis, a victim of the 1918 flu pandemic, after climbing up the Tree of Life and bouncing on one of its branches. “I can’t believe we actually did it!”

“Everybody’s getting hosed up tonight!” added Mathis. “I’ve waited my entire afterlife for this!”

Some of the festivities reportedly began getting out of hand when a group of Cubs fans lit the Ladder of Divine Ascent on fire, and shortly thereafter, several teenagers dumped an entire pitcher of beer on the head of an archangel as he attempted to fly through the raucous crowds. Numerous men were later seen stripping off their shimmering Heavenly robes and streaking through God’s Kingdom.

However, reports also confirmed that dozens of small children were celebrating peacefully while sitting on the shoulders of their parents or grandparents, with many wearing youth Cubs jerseys bearing the names and numbers of Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, and Jake Arrieta.

According to sources, the championship celebrations are expected to continue for much of eternity.

“Cubbies! The curse is over, baby!” said longtime fan and father of three Andrew Horton, slurring most of his words as he adjusted his Cubs hat underneath his halo. “I just fuckin’ [unintelligible], you know? Man...[unintelligible].”

“Cubbies!” Horton added.

At press time, sources within Heaven confirmed that hundreds of disorderly Cubs fans had been apprehended and sent to Hell.

:golfclap:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

At least now whenever Cubs fans get all doom and gloom we have a good reason to tell them to shut the gently caress up.

There is no more doom and gloom. It's all over!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Well I'm going to have to track down a copy of tomorrow's Tribune to frame, and also about 10 of the next Sports Illustrateds.

You could order this like I did (you can get the issue and/or a framed cover.)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

So the Blackhawks gonna blow a 3-1 lead for The Stanley Cup?

They could and nobody would care!

CubsWoo posted:

Remember when

:monocle:

:unsmith:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The overreliance on Bauer/Tomlin was what came back to bite the Indians in the rear end. Sending both guys out there on short rest (especially Bauer who was bad all postseason) while not being ready to pull them if trouble hit was such a bad move, and you can't do that when you're the worse team. The Cubs were the much better team and actually played to win 4 out of 7, while the Indians played to win 3 and then hope to steal a 4th. It almost worked, but it shouldn't have and it didn't. Congrats, you deserved the win.

I mean it was kind of due to the whole starting rotation chaos with all the injuries. Francona did what he thought he had to do, but he overused not only Bauer and Tomlin, but Kluber (three starts in one series?!), Miller, etc., and the Cubs eventually figured out all of those guys. To an extent it was unavoidable, with the injuries to Salazar et. al. but the other factor is that the Cubs have been doing this poo poo all season long. Against any other team Cleveland would've won, but the Cubs have been notorious for going cold and then getting hot when they figure out their opponent. It's been loving agonizing to follow them, and I'm happy they finally won, but I'm happier that it's all over now. Congratulations, Cubs, but gently caress the Cubs, lol.

Inspector_666 posted:

Guys the Cubs won the loving World Series.

Hey did you hear that Jon Lester doesn't like to throw to bases?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

New Concept Hole posted:

Eh... What's next?

Next up: Cubs will win the Superbowl! :getin:

I thought I might cry when they won, and I actually cried a little on multiple occasions earlier in the season just thinking about how this was actually gonna be the year, but I was with my family watching the game and was just happy to share the moment with them. I didn't cry when the Cubs won, but I cry a little when I see these stories of old people who've waited several decades to experience this moment.

The_Hat posted:

Coming into game 7, the Indians had scored 20 runs this World Series, and the Cubs had scored 19 runs. Which means that, after game 7, both teams scored 27 runs in the series. Literally a run differential of 0

What a loving series

Hey remember when we thought this game would end like 3-2 or 1-0? FIFTEEN loving RUNS! More than half the runs in the entire World Series were scored in game 7!!!

TMMadman posted:

Ok, let's see if I've got the new one yet.

That is beautiful.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Blah blah blah pace of play, I know several people were intensely into tonight's game who didn't give a single gently caress about baseball before the series.

I watched the game with my parents and younger brother. My Dad's like me, an on-and-off Cubs fan over the decades, nothing hardcore. My Mom's a North-sider, just never been too into sports, and my little brother said "Cubs suck" to me when I was watching a Cubs game around early June. :rolleyes: Still, it was just great to be able to share this occasion with the family, regardless of how long everyone's been waiting for it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Chick named "Isis" complaining about KKK. :stare:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I like the interaction between him and the joke Theo Epstein account. :allears:

CascadeBeta posted:

A co-worker of mine's son works in the same company as Bartman. Apparently he works from home and gets groceries delivered because he STILL gets harassed horrendously to this day. Hopefully that changes, because Jesus Christ the 2003 Cubs lost for so many bigger reasons than Bartman.

Does he still work for Hewitt? A former co-worker's wife worked there with him, and we watched the 2003 meltdown together (which turned me off baseball for years) and after the Bartman incident he told me Steve ended up getting put on a floor that was previously unused; the whole place to himself just so he had some privacy. :smith:

b-minus1 posted:

This is why the cubs are the least deserving team to win a world series. gently caress chicago

The Cubs busted their asses this whole season; they were the most deserving team.

Back in 2003, the meltdown was a whole team effort, but it sure looked like it at the time that Bartman interfered. He didn't really, but became a scapegoat, and after all these years I'm confident everyone else has "forgiven" him and he can finally achieve vindication instead of remaining a pariah.

TMMadman posted:

So, since they can give them to anyone they want, which old Cubs are sure to get World Series rings?

Obviously Billy Williams and Ryne Sandberg will be getting them. Probably Kerry Wood. Anyone else?

The Red Sox gave out like 500 rings; it wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs gave out a whole lot more. Aside from retired Cubs, I'm hoping that the guys who participated this season (but where traded) got them as well: Clayton Richard, Warren, and especially Joe Nathan, the latter of whom decided to rehab from his second TJS to try to pursue that elusive championship at the end of his career. :unsmith:

ruddiger posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/794057504871346176

This is pretty loving cool, but I hope Obama wears his Sox jersey when they visit. :twisted:

Uh, I clicked that and this was the first reply:

https://twitter.com/shailenewoodley/status/794069229683101696

:stonk:

TheChaosPath posted:

God the Cavs logo is terrible. It's like something an eighth-grader drew on a textbook cover. "Dude, this C looks like it's tearing rear end around my algebra book!"

I'm going to make a controversial statement and say that there are far too many "C" logos in professional sports. :colbert:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Meanwhile the Cardinals officially extended Matheny through 2020. Kill me.

To be fair, it wasn't Matheny's fault that the Cards ran into the Cubs meat-grinder. :shrug:

(Also, "Chicago meat-grinder" reminded me that I should probably re-read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. :))

chilihead posted:

Theo Epstein for president!

We KNOW he can make America great again!

https://twitter.com/theoepstein04/status/794154690682306560

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The funny thing was we let the kids stay up to watch it. After the Cubs won, my 11-year old patted me on the back and said, "well.... there's always next year." Thanks buddy. Even though you kept asking which team was pitching while reading your Minecraft book.

Well, that's my story. Congrats Cubs. It was cool to see you guys win it. Hope it feels as good as the Cavs coming back on the Warriors.

Cubs fan here, confirming that yes indeed, there is always next year. :unsmith:

However, um, I was under the impression that Minecraft was a video game.... :confused:

RC Cola posted:

Chicago Fire exists too

Other Teams Matter!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

There are pixel-style Minecraft foam swords for sale at Wrigley Field, with Cubs logos attached.

I can totally understand real-life merchandise from film/game IP, like action figures and stuff, but what in the unholy gently caress does Minecraft have to do with the Cubs?! :psyboom:

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont want another nl central team winning a WS but the brewers havent won one yet, right? havent even been to one since 1982

i'm gonna put the albatross label on them now

Hey guys, you know how the World Series just ended like 12 hours ago? CUBS ALREADY FAVORED TO WIN 2017 WORLD SERIES :suicide:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cubs being good has nothing to do with me not wanting him to be the manager.

Yeah, but I'm saying that the manager only has so much control over how his players perform. Maddon made some boneheaded decisions that didn't bite him in the rear end in the very end because his players bailed him out; Matheny wasn't as fortunate this season but the Cardinals are always contenders. I totally understand Cards fans not liking him, but at the very least I'm trying to be sympathetic and amiable because I truly don't hate the Cards.

CubsWoo posted:

For 2004 at least, the Red Sox gave rings to everyone who was on the roster that year, including Brandon Puffer, a relief pitcher who was a one-game September callup who never actually appeared or threw a pitch for the team. He ended up spending a few years in jail for burglary and intent to commit sexual assault. Somebody tried to sell it on Pawn Stars a few years back but they wouldn't take it considering his reputation.

If I had to guess I would assume at least everyone who was called up to the team will get a ring, possibly everyone on the 40-man, and then a scaled-down version of the ring for front office staff, maybe Wrigley workers, people like that.

Oh yeah, they'll definitely do multiple versions of the rings, I just want to see everyone recognized for their contributions towards making this happen, from all the retired Cubs to guys like Nathan and Richard who tried to help but weren't here in the end. :shobon:

mastershakeman posted:

the cardinals will never win another game of baseball ever. it's over for them

"The Cards, they ain't gonna win no more." :bahgawd:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

The way Fowler has played (a full 1.4 WAR above any other year) you have to think he'll be demanding a contract that pays him through his age 35 or 36 season for I would assume an AAV above what he got this year so you're probably going to need a contract along the lines of 5/95 or 6/110 at minimum and that also assumes he doesn't try for Heyward or Cespedes money and look for 20M+ AAV.

As far as the 2017 rotation, I already assume Arrieta is gone. As long as he doesn't tryhard himself into some injury and is at least at ~4 WAR form with similar postseason success thanks to salary inflation we could be looking at the first 40M AAV contract going to Jake since I don't really see any other true aces on the market for the post-2017 offseason. That may be a reason to open the wallet for him since the TV money/new channel or whatever will be right around the corner and the plaza across the street should be finished by then for more revenue, but I forsee the 2018-2021 Cubs being a team that will lean a lot harder on their bats and their positional defense versus having multiple dominant starters.

I think if the Cubs pay for a closer this year it'll be either Chapman or Melancon since neither can get a QO. Give Hammel 10M for the year and see if he has anything left, ride Lackey into the sunset and maybe try to resign Cahill cheap again and see if you can stretch him and Zastryzny out into capable #4 and #5 starters for the future.

I don't know if any of the concern about money is warranted given that a winning team (better yet, a dynasty :getin:) is a goldmine. Anyways, I don't know about Cahill as a starter (again.) Maybe, and Z probably, but don't leave out Montgomery! Sure, that would weaken the bullpen but I still think he's more valuable as a starter.

Abel Wingnut posted:

anyone know where i can watch the game again? i swear i'm going to watch it like every month til the day i die

How about the condensed game?

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1211075283?game_pk=487637

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Forbes saying the Cubs have tripled in value since the Ricketts family bought it for $850 million in 2009, post WS the valuation is now over $2.5 billion.

Oh no, how will they pay Fowler and Arrieta and Chapman now? :ohdear:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

They were a little too skinny for him to get into so he choked them until they fit! :downsrim:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I got back from vacation an hour ago and I've spent that time watching highlights of game 7. I hadn't gotten to see all of it but we caught parts in the hotel. It was fun to watch it with my mom and hear her swear really forcefully when Rajai hit that homerun.

I'm really wondering what this Cubs victory is going to do to the White Sox and their offseason. I really hope Reinsdorf actually commits to one way or the other and not the same old "sign some veterans who underperform and trade away some prospects and never go anywhere ever". Theo and the Cubs showed that actually having a plan is a pretty good idea!

Check out the condensed game: http://m.mlb.com/video/v1211075283?game_pk=487637

I watched it last night, and it's cool because it contains all the action and cuts out the downtime, but they review all the important plays and show the player reaction shots. It's nostalgic if you've seen the whole game previously, but it's also eerie because there are no announcers whatsoever. Then again, that means no Joe Buck, so :toot:

Luneshot posted:

I'm still kinda salty we blew a 3-1 lead but honestly seeing the reaction of all the happiest Cubs fans in the world has gone a long way to making it all okay again. I really need to keep up with baseball more, I think.

Eh, it's all about getting rid of all that "curse" nonsense and just having a regular team now. Cleveland can have theirs next year for all I care; I just want to see some fun baseball!

CascadeBeta posted:

As someone who was turned off baseball after the 2003 Cubs collapse, I forgot how much I enjoyed pitching. There's just something about it that really grabs me.

It's because there are so many different styles, different routines, so many ways to perform a task as simple as throwing a ball. You've got yer three-quarters, your sidearm, your submarine deliveries; you've got the stretch and the windup; you've got Kershaw's double leg kick, Cueto's...dancing, Chapman's diagonal leg thing and wife-choke, and Lackey's "throw and yell 'gently caress' after every pitch." It's just fun to watch them because it's the most unique position. :shobon:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

N: Apparently Miggy was talking poo poo about Maddon yesterday.

V: I'm not surprised by Miggy having sour grapes, hell I think it's arguably a bit justified. He entered the season thinking he was going to be the #1 catcher, and exited having caught a whopping 2 WS innings and sandwiched between Ross being the media darling and Contreras taking all his innings behind the plate. That said, he picked a lovely time and a lovely way to air his grievances.

Sydin posted:

And even if they could stick Schwarbs behind the plate, trading Miggy means Schwarber doesn't get the benefit of having a veteran catcher around to help him develop. I'd say Contreras has himself a pretty firm grounding, but I don't know if it's firm enough yet to immediately turn around and start helping Schwarber.

It's been a pretty open secret that Miggy wasn't exactly thrilled about training his replacement, particularly when Contreras took off running and started to put a dent in Montero's time behind the plate. That said I figured with Ross leaving and Schwarber's knee, Montero would probably be splitting time fairly evenly with Contreras. I'm not sure if Contreras will be quite ready to catch Lester yet (let's just ignore how much of a disaster Miggy's arm + Lester's inability to throw to the bases will be :shepicide:) Lackey's position on Contreras catching him is pretty clear, and while Arrieta tossed a couple good games with Willson this WS, he clearly prefers Montero. So it seems weird to complain about it now when he's got a decent chunk of time behind the plate lined up for next season.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs are so completely packed with talent, a lot of players are going to just not be good enough to start for them everyday. La Stella had an OPS of .860 and they couldn't even fit him on the 25-man roster. Soler would be starting in OF or DH for the majority of MLB teams, but he's a bench bat for the Cubs. It sucks for Montero, but it's part of being in the hyper-competitive world of Major League Baseball.

Niwrad posted:

He was their 3rd best catcher this year. Not sure what he expected. Especially when going up against a team like the Indians who can run. If you want to play more, don't spend most of the season hitting like poo poo and unable to throw out a runner.

I have to imagine Miggy will play more next season with Ross retired. I'd say trade him but you'd probably have to eat a chunk of his salary and the odds you'd find a better replacement is slim.

I like Montero, but his best days are behind him. He's a good catcher and came up clutch several times this season, but he just hasn't been hitting like he used to. With all of his strengths and despite some hitting problems from him & Heyward, the Cubs still ended up with the best possible result so you can't really complain too much. The main liability was his arm, and coupled with the fact that Cleveland liked to run there was no surprise that they needed Contreras behind the plate most of the time. We discussed as much here, except, for some reason Miguel was the only one who couldn't figure it out. :confused: I mean, it certainly couldn't have hurt to communicate it to everyone, but also if he had questions he should have spoken up.

With that being said, Montero will be fine. Ross has ridden off into the sunset, so Miggy is literally the one veteran catcher. Contreras is making good progress, but it's nice to have at least a couple catchers for multiple reasons, and I wouldn't make Schwarber anything close to a regular catcher for a couple reasons. Who does that leave left? Federowicz? Miguel will be fine, and if he can maintain that hot bat from the latter part of 2016 he might get re-signed if the price is right and the market isn't overflowing (I wouldn't re-sign him for $14-15M/year though.)

This is a pretty awesome Rockwell spoof. I'd actually love a larger print of it, as sort of a "Dewey Defeats Truman" callback (also from 1948, and coincidentally the newspaper was the Trib!)

Rand alPaul posted:

Rizzo looks like he's done this before :laffo:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cubs-star-anthony-rizzo-twerks-his-way-beer-money-victory

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pancakes posted:

I'm cooking and playing frisbee today, otherwise I'd look into this immediately. For now, please enjoy Kolten Wong's shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnHJwIabBU

Grampa Rossy cameo! :neckbeard:

Bilirubin posted:

How do the jerseys from Fanatics generally fit? The official measurements would place me in a medium, but thinking ahead to the battle against middle age spread has me wondering about getting a large. The measurements on a large would be enormous on me (make me look like String Bean in fact). Are they generally sized on the large side?

Fanatics is just the retailer. Each brand is different. For example, I've noticed that Antigua stuff fits large; I generally wear a "large" t-shirt or an XL hoodie, but an XL Antigua hoodie was swimming on me so I had to go down a size. I just bought a nice Antigua Traverse Cubs jacket and it's a medium.

CubsWoo posted:

Considering how ridiculously lucky the Cubs got with pitching injuries this year you have to expect Lackey will be out for a good chunk of the year and any of the other 3 could run into arm trouble. Zastryzny can clearly spot start and Wood can give you a bunch of innings on a bullpen day (if they're keeping him) but beyond that the pitching in the minors seems to grade out to garbage and the FA market is barren. Are they also re-signing Cahill to keep around?

I just don't understand the move unless there's something major behind the scenes that we don't know about. If he's healthy, Hammel is arguably now the #2 or #3 best starter on the FA market this winter and whatever contract he commands will give a lot of insight into why the Cubs declined the option.

Niwrad posted:

Did Hammel have some kind of no-trade clause?

I'm going to guess they either called around and the market was just not that strong. Or they promised him when he was unhappy that they'd decline the option if he didn't ruffle any feathers.

SourKraut posted:

Wait seriously? I thought that'd be a nice bargain for a 5th starter?

I kinda did think they'd keep Hammel despite his known issues (although this year it seems like he was playing with an injury that he tried to hide) but an ESPN article suggests that they gave him the option to return or not, and he asked to be released. (I'm sure the free $2M plus a significantly more lucrative contract had plenty to do with his decision.)

It still is a loss for the Cubs despite his issues, because when Hammel was good he was real good. The upside is that it makes roster decisions a little easier (Monty definitely gets his spot now) and they can probably justify re-signing more of Wood, Smith, Cahill, etc.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

He's been on the edge of simmering over a few times in public about Maddon giving him a short leash, so who knows what went on behind the scenes. He certainly didn't have the Coghlan Gene that endears you to Joe Maddon forever but doing a guy a solid and letting him make his own deal is one thing, but it's not like the Cubs have starting depth, especially after next season. Zastryzny looks like he's the swing man if Travis Wood leaves, then your AAA backups are Dallas Beeler and Pierce Johnson? $1000 bonus baby Ryan Williams may be ready but he was hurt most of the year and the arms that they do have in the system are all 2-3 years away. Hopefully guys like Dylan Cease and Trevor Clifton make it to Iowa this summer.

I don't get his complaints about being pulled earlier when he was struggling. Did he want to be allowed to give up 20 runs in a game? :psyduck:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

The Fowler-Theo 'handshake agreement' either didn't exist or has just been broken, as Dex has been given a Qualifying Offer. The other Cub FA and their last salary as of right now:

Did we have confirmation of the Fowler-QO gentlemen's agreement thing or was it just kind of assumed? Just like it was assumed that they'd hang onto Hammel and trade him, only to find out that that was expressly not the intent and his option was declined at his choice.

CubsWoo posted:

The clear answer is for Maddon to utilize his new weapon, "Wheels" Schwarber, as a defensive gem in center field pinch runner

:colbert:

Niwrad posted:

That's fine but do the Cubs spend the money on the bullpen or more crazy Trump ads?

All joking aside this is entirely irrelevant in less than 48 hours....

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

That's why I'm surprised they didn't pick up the option and trade him. Someone would have given up something to get him in the rotation next year.

They specifically mentioned that they weren't going to do this.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Man this alternate timeline stuff is creepy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTA-v6q_L4

The beard is what turned everything around for him. :colbert:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really confused why the Nats didn't offer Wilson Ramos a QO. Did they really think he would take that?

I'm assuming it has something to do with them trying to negotiate some other terms, or maybe that partial no-trade clause that comes with it. A big part is the knee injury and surgery, so his post-rehab performance (and the timeline itself) is a huge question mark. Oh yeah, the fact that this is the second time he's injured & had surgery on his right ACL is another red flag.

CubsWoo posted:

Man this alternate timeline stuff is creepy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTA-v6q_L4

Oh wow, I just noticed the Heyward cameo!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

what the hell is this ball hitting to bounce away from them

The force field that they'd installed during the past offseason.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: I forgot I wanted to post this article about championship rings because we talked about it earlier: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/here-are-the-guys-you-probably-didnt-realize-will-get-cubs-world-series-rings/

They cover the usual guys, Warren, Richard, Nathan. I had forgotten about Ramirez & Peralta, and didn't really consider Matusz to be in contention, but then again he did provide one of the most notorious games of the 2016 season. I can imagine the duality of that experience: feeling the euphoria of receiving a Cubs WS ring but then realizing it's a permanent reminder of your one horrendous performance. :smith:

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wi-lW2poE4

Also, this autoplayed after that last video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET0UBXOcFYo

Ah, former Bill Cosby love. :allears:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whoops. My bad.

Eh, 1 for 2 isn't that bad I guess. :shrug:

Now we can all say we got to see the Cubs win the World Series in our lifetimes (shortly before we all die.)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 9, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I said for years that if the Cubs ever won the World Series, it would be a sign of the end of times.

I wish I could take more satisfaction in being right.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Again, gently caress every last one of you who is even joking that a trump presidency was a "worth it" trade. I just woke up today in a world where I literally have no idea whether I'll be permitted to use public bathrooms, whether my family will be permitted to adopt children, or whether my health insurance will even be required to cover my healthcare anymore. My entire world just turned into a cloud of uncertainty. Please don't perpetuate the intense whiteness of baseball by saying a loving game's championship title is worth Donald Trump as president of the united states.

Just for clarification, I'm not saying "worth it," I'm saying the Cubs win was the sign of the impending apocalypse (hence the suicide/death of all life on Earth implication.) Believe me, I'm ideologically aligned with you more than you know.

Dexo posted:

gently caress Jake Arrieta too

For reference:

https://twitter.com/JArrieta34/status/796372720015523840

TMMadman posted:

Let's all just agree that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida suck rear end.

Wisconsin and especially Florida have always sucked.

Pancakes posted:

Illinois really only went blue because of Chicago. Cardinals fans in Illinois appear, by and large, to be Trump voters. :sigh:

Anyone have a handy resource to show outspoken liberals among MLB? I assume it must be a small list.

It's always been like that though. Chicagoland is Democratic, downstate IL is Republican. An island of sanity in a sea of retardation. :(

I'm assuming many of the younger, non-white, non-Southern MLB players are more liberally inclined. I don't get too surprised when I learn a Texan supports Trump. :rolleyes:

DoctaFun posted:

What if the Cubs just said F it and committed like 50MM/year in payroll to Chapman/Jansen/Melancon and put together a three headed monster to compliment their great offensive core while their pitching staff is still in tact? Would 50 get it done? Or would it be more like 60MM?

I mean honestly, they have the money, not sure what the precedent is for length on RP contracts, but would 4 years per do the trick? Then even as their pitching staff gets more questionable in the next couple years, they still have a dynamite offense and a ridiculous bullpen, the Royals won with less....

I think it would be pretty funny to see the Cubs just go Yankees style now that they have such a good core and some money to spend.

Screw it, throw Holland in there too.

I think they should absolutely pursue as much talent as possible (because why would you build a championship-winning team and then let it languish?) It'd be great to have Jansen and Chapman (all three of those guys are probably unnecessary) but it sounds like they aren't going to spend big on a closer. :saddowns:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

:mad:

Champaign-Urbana is pretty liberal, given our location and the general attitudes in the surrounding area. Urbana definitely more than Champaign, though, but we're still pretty cool here. :(

Also Peoria, sort of, but Peoria sucks so gently caress them.

Well I didn't mean IL was exclusively red everywhere except Chicago, but it's mostly true. Basically, the rural areas are red, the more urban you go the bluer.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Right, but I'm talking about now, today. People started making those jokes again. Like. Just stop it. Talk about baseball, complain about Buster Posey's gold glove, whatever. But don't make light of a tragedy for a whole bunch of people.

It's a tragedy for everyone. On Earth. Some people use humor to deal with tragedy...but I'm not doing that here. It's super hosed and there's nothing I can do or say to make it better for you or any of us. I'm sorry.

Popete posted:

This is the Something Awful forums no? It's entirely built off poor taste.

This is true, and it's what I respond with to goons who have thin skin.

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Twitter reports

A MLB agent tells @CSNMooney that free agent reliever Aroldis Chapman is seeking a $100 million contract.

Yeah or no?

:stare: $100M...for what, 10 years? :stare: For the guy who blew the save in game 7 of the WS? :stare:

:stare:

:eyepop:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

In a small defense of his demand, isn't the cost per win in free agency about $8 million? And he's averaged just over 2.5 WAR since becoming a full time closer 5 years ago.

I just don't think that salary works for a closer, even a good one. $100M either works out to be a ridiculous amount per year for a couple years, or a lesser amount per year over several years, and as he ages his velocity will decline, reducing his effectiveness and value at the end. Plus there's the uncertainty as to how long his arm will hold out throwing 104+.

------------------------------------

I just read this article which has this quote at the end:

quote:

Baseball spending still is strictly limited, relative to baseball revenues, for three more seasons based on bank covenants related to the Ricketts’ family purchase of the team in late 2009.

Anyone know the specifics of that? I can understand them leveraging the purchase of the team and being restricted in terms of additional expenditures until terms of the loan are fulfilled, but what are the financial constraints mentioned in that paragraph?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

To be fair him blowing that save wasn't on him at all. Like Joe Maddon burned that dude hard. And then he came back out and pitched a good inning when he had absolutely nothing. He had to throw like 10 straight sliders and got people out.

Not to say he's worth 100 million. But I don't hold game 7 against him.

Oh I agree, it's just that he's still got that "blew game 7 of the WS" thing on his record. And frankly, given his controversial background, I'm glad it happened that way; he's not the Cubs hero but they pulled out the win regardless. Everybody wins! (Except Cleveland.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Chapman got the win.

I know, we all saw the game, but don't get us started on the pitcher win stat. We all know the "closer" blew the save, and the future starter got the save (lol), and the only reason the "closer" didn't get pegged for the worst loss possible for any closer's career is because he was on the team that Does Not Quit. :colbert:

Obviously Braves fans should start buying 2017 World Series tickets now with the young and versatile duo of RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon.

Joe Nathan's a free agent now! :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Saves are just as bad of a stat as wins.

No, holds/saves can be a pretty good defensive metric, they indicate how well a pitcher can do his job and avoid giving up runs, although the one wrinkle is when a pitcher gets thrown in in a situation with runners on vs. a clean inning.

The win stat is more nebulous because of how it's applied, where you can get the win as a starter only if you pitch at least five innings whereas that restriction does not apply to relievers, and the starter can get a no-decision if he pitches well but the game remains scoreless until after he leaves (or another pitcher gives up the lead.)

A perfect example is game 7 of the WS, where Hendricks pitched well but got pulled early, and the lead was not maintained, while Chapman gets the win despite pitching poorly (partially due to Maddon's mismanagement, admittedly.) Montgomery threw two pitches and got the save, fair enough. Who deserves the win though? Certainly not Chapman, and frankly I think Hendricks does despite throwing <5 and Chapman's performance. He started and he still pitched the most.

None of this really matters, though, but I still think save/hold is more straightforward than how wins are awarded.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Now that you mention it, it would be nice if we got to see the home plate ump's stats during the game. "Correct calls"/"total pitches" :rolleyes:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised there aren't already some sort of stats for umps like this already. Since baseball is such a nerd driven stat sport.

There is, though, it's just not widely known: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/37468304/

The Zone Evaluation System specifically tracks umps' accuracy in calling pitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

It very clearly doesn't, and I was just assuming/hoping that poster was exaggerating, like the ones who said that a Trump presidency was worth the Cubs winning the WS.

Cubs Championships Matter. :colbert:

Seriously though, here's some actual baseball (read: Cubs) -related stuff:

https://twitter.com/ArchbishopBlase/status/798505110636822528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Here's an interesting article about Mike Montgomery, (who's quickly become one of my favorite Cubs) ending with his Game 7 save. The never-before-seen angle of the final out is cool.

• Locked thread