Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
So, which team is going to overpay Rajai Davis next year just because of this game?

Let's spitball our best guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

rajai davis loving owns

I regret that is impossible to agree with a statement more than 100%, for I surely would here

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

to the Sharks, completing the circle

Not quite complete, as Sharks/Hawks could only be a Conference Championship, not a Stanley Cup Final

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Blah blah blah pace of play, I know several people were intensely into tonight's game who didn't give a single gently caress about baseball before the series.

Yeah at the risk of being the "think of the ratings!" guy, think of the ratings! This game 7 is the best commercial for baseball that baseball could air.

[And if whatever garbage Thursday Night matchup the NFL has on tomorrow draws a bigger viewership than this game 7 then its time to write off democracy as a failed experiment and strip America/Americans of all right to self-determination on grounds of us all being too stupid to be trusted with any choice]

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm not big into hockey tbh

It's cool. The Warriors being hapless for almost my whole life has kinda put a permanent damper on me ever really getting too into basketball, even now that they're actually good. Different Strokes, etc.

Blackhawks can blow a 3-1 to the Bruins or Rangers and then the Giants can stage a 3-1 comeback on the Red Sox or Yankees to complete the cycle though! :getin:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

100% agreed but it is a weird emotional thing where I'm still like "AWWWWWWW DEX!"

...followed by "Okay, get paid bud."

Yeah it's really hard to begrudge anything to anybody who was a part of making this happen.

"Ugh I really wish Lester would field his posi-OH WHO loving CARES THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES!"

"Ugh Joe Maddon overmanaged here and there that was ki--OH WHO loving CARES THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES!"

"Dex isn't gonna stick around but get paid elsewhere instead they might be as mighty next year without h--OH WHO loving CARES THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES."

And who knows? Maybe Dex is suddenly gonna be Too Old next season and your team cut ties with him at just the right time, and it's a win-win all around :getin:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

Adrianza was my pick to be EYBS savior for this season, so I guess the rip in the space time continuum has caused this as well.

What could have been, Game Seven Walkoff hero Ehire Adrianza :allears:

Rand alPaul posted:

I welcome the Odd Year Bullshit.

Conor Gillaspie's still on the 40 man (right?)

:getin:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

bawfuls posted:

N:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/827317375590604802

V: I am not sure that the anger this will cause among Giants fans is worth the disappointment of taking on yet another washed up Giant. Think I'd prefer Blanton.

Why be angry? He can steal y'alls money for 3 years like Uribe did. Still A Good Giant :D

Poaching each other's players and/or guys signing with the opposite team late in their career out of spite/to prove they're not washed up yet is part of what makes this whole thing fun and is a tradition almost as old as the rivalry itself. Marichal became a Dodger. Duke Snider became a Giant. [Though Jackie Robinson actually retired a couple years early rather than sign with the Giants.]

Besides, Romo grew up down there, and it's hard to be too mad at a guy wanting to wrap up a career on his childhood team if he gets the chance.

[Also since the Dodgers still have Jansen there will be ZERO temptation to use Romo A) heavily B) in the 9th so he might actually work out down there, to my chagrin. His slider is all he has but it's a darn good one when he's healthy.]

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah. i think wild pitches on ibbs happen enough that it's an appreciable change. plus the odd one too close to the plate that turns into a hit.

Even rarer than the above, but THIS is why I hope they never make the IBB automatic.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
They have all the rules they need to speed up the game in place already, don't they?

It's just a matter of encouraging the umpires to start actually enforcing them.

Which, given how many grandstanding "look at me" umpires there are running around the league who seem like they'd love nothing more than to command everyone's attention while they unilaterally declare a walk or a strike out to punish someone for taking too much drat time (and then throw out the player and/or manager for objecting), prompts me to wonder what the holdup is there.

I'd assume Joe West (or Angel Hernandez) would be happier than a pig in poo poo shouting "BALL 2! BALL 3! BALL 4!" while the pitcher is staring him down over the pitch down the middle that got called Ball 1.

Please no more baseball trying to incorporate Football Ideas with timeouts and challenges and bullshit.

[Also to this point: Umpires are not obliged to grant time out every time a hitter asks for it. They could/should just start saying "no" more instead of letting guys wander around on the grass after every pitch.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

WienerDog posted:

I think timeouts or limiting mound visits is unnecessary. Pace of play rules have cut out most of time wasting by batters, and something similar could be done for pitchers, hopefully without adding a clock.

The worst thing now is mangers stalling for time while they wait for someone in the clubhouse to watch a replay before deciding whether or not to challenge.
I would give managers two challenges per game / first 6 innings, but he would have 10 seconds to initiate a challenge after the ump makes a call. Make a challenge or don't. We don't need to have a review to decide if we're having a review.

Agreed. Though I think the small and finite number of challenges allowed encourages teams to take all that time deciding whether to use it or not.

I'd let teams have more challenges (they basically do, anyway, since they can always request more and the umpires generally grant these requests even when not obligated to) so they can be more flippant/impulsive about calling for them. Ideally they should be more of a snap decision in "NO WAY THAT GUY WAS SAFE BY A MILE!" situations that will lead to clear (way less than 90 seconds) overturns, or last out of the game "nothing to lose, gently caress it" hope spots anyway.

I'd also consider not allowing the whole clubhouse consultant element. Manager should make the call himself.

• Locked thread