Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Guys the Cubs won the loving World Series.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The_Hat posted:

Coming into game 7, the Indians had scored 20 runs this World Series, and the Cubs had scored 19 runs. Which means that, after game 7, both teams scored 27 runs in the series. Literally a run differential of 0

What a loving series

I'm too drunk to look for the source but IIRC somebody mentioned in the GDT that this series from a statistical standpoint was the most evenly matched in history. Game 7 was a down and out slugfest between the best two teams in baseball in 2016, and the Cubs came out on top by a hair. It doesn't get better than that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/794220135888416768

https://twitter.com/EliGieryna/status/794046235694940160

I love Heyward, so goddamn much. Think I might buy a Jersey gotta support a black man(since Dex is probably gone :smith:)

I Could never bring myself to actually dislike Heyward. Sure we all made jokes when he hit a soft roller to 2nd for the eight billionth time, but through it all he never phoned it in, never got disgruntled at the fans or the team, and I always felt like he was playing his heart out even if the results weren't up to par. And now in the end, he gives the team speech that pretty much the entire rest of the team attributes to turning them around in the 10th and leading to the win. The narrative was that Heyward needed a big hit to erase his 2016 regular season woes. He couldn't manage that, but he instead erased them by standing up at the last second and rallying the team to victory, which in a weird way feels much more poignant. I look forward to having him back next year :unsmith:

It'd be nice if he could fix his swing, though :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I wish Len Kasper had gotten to call that game.

:sigh::hf::sigh:

He did get to call Javy's opposite field shot in the 5th at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MisterBibs posted:

I know this is entirely cliche, but gently caress, in the macro I cannot believe this really happened. I knew the Cubs were a better team than the Indians on a game-by-game basis, but being down 3-1 meant that there was no way they'd win game after game after game to actually win the series.

Indians pitching staff just ran out of steam in the end, I think. Tip your cap to Kluber - it's not easy to make three starts in nine days, all against the same team, and two on short rest. Both in terms of fatigue and letting the same hitters see you that much in such a small span of time, it's a marvel that he managed as well as you did. As much as I still think the Cubs are/were the better team by pure talent, I'm just imagining a scenario where Carrasco and Salazar are healthy, and the Indians can field a four man rotation without ever having to lean on the injured Bauer. Put the Cubs down 3-1 in those circumstances, and I'm not sure if the result would have been the same.

Chapman and Miller both were also obviously gassed from how much they'd been utilized the whole post season. Makes you wonder how Jansen would have looked if the Dodgers had made it - given how heavily Roberts leaned on him. The world series ended up being a war of attrition more than anything else,

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

While we were celebrating I kept looking back at the TV thinking they would overturn the play or call it off or whatever crazy idea I could concoct in my mind. It took me like a minute to actually fully realize it was over.

It's not just you. Hell, Almora said that the first thing that went though his mind after he came out of his slide scoring on Zobrist's double was "go back and touch the plate just in case"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

I'm interested to see how they handle the offseason. I don't understand why people are so down on giving Fowler a long-term deal. Sure his days in CF might not last much longer but you can slot him into one of the corner outfield slots in a year or two. He has enough pop in the bat.

The team actually has some money coming off the books this year too. Coghlan ($4.8m), Cahill ($4.2m), Ross ($2.5m). So you could easily use some of that money to keep Fowler on a $15-$18m deal over the next few years.

I also think they'll pick up the option on Hammel (which is really affordable) and see what the market is for him. Not many pitchers available in free agency and you could probably nab a prospect or two that you like for him. Flip those for some bullpen help.

I doubt they pay Chapman big money. Same for someone like Jensen. I don't think Theo has ever gone out and spent huge money on his bullpen. They have some arms there already and can sort out the rest through the trade market without paying someone $20 million to come out of the pen.

Fowler is going to get paid, he made a huge impact with the Cubs this year. As much as I'd like to see him back, I understand the argument not to spend on him. Almora is waiting in the wings as a young, controllable CF for the foreseeable future, and while he doesn't have quite as much pop in his bat as of now he's got plenty of growing room. Meanwhile the Cubs are going to have a bit of a scramble come next off season, as they'll be losing 3/5ths of their starting rotation to FA (assuming they pick up Hammel's 2017 option, which is almost guaranteed) and will have to shell out another big ace contract if they want to keep Arrieta. There's also the question of emptying the wallet for one of the Chapman/Melancon/Jansen trio this off season. It's less of a big deal now that the Cubs have managed to win and the desperation levels have fallen, but it's still very possible. I think there's just too much cash needed to sure up the pitching over the next two years to go throwing the amount Fowler deserves his way.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Also why does it feel like Rich Hill is the best starter of this free agent class and how much is he going to get paid for an age 37 season where his 110 innings of work this year was his second largest workload in his 12 year career and I don't know if you would pencil him in for more than that.

Beyond Hill you maybe have Cashner as a reclamation project and Hellickson who is good but the Phils are almost guaranteed to slap a QO on him.

Don't know what the gently caress you're talking about Bartolo is a FA and that's ace quality pitching + home run power ripe for the taking :v:

Niwrad posted:

On the other hand, their window is now and I'm not sure I'd feel terribly confident with Almora starting in CF everyday. You're talking about a huge offensive dropoff and leaving the Cubs without a guy who can get on base at the top of the lineup. Fowler is already making $13m and if that jumps to $20m, I don't think that's a huge issue. I just think he's so important to what they do.

It's weird but the Cubs actually have a bunch of money coming off the books this year. $18 or so million from Ross, Coghlan, Wood, and Cahill. Plus whatever they were picking up on Chapman and Smith. And they also have $12 million they were still paying Edwin Jackson this year. They could also free up another $10 million by trading Hammel.

I don't know what they'll do but they shouldn't be cash-strapped. They should have around $30-40 million off the books this year and only real need is a Fowler replacement and bullpen. Maybe they're saving up for another big starter but couldn't they just use the $26 million they're currently paying Arrieta and Lackey to either bring Arrieta back or find another top of the rotation guy?

No way the Cubs don't pick up Hammel's option. $10m for a solid back of the rotation starter who pitches like an ace for the first half of the season? Yes please.

Again, I'm not adverse to picking up Fowler. I'm just saying I imagine the organization is going to place a higher priority on arms than bats. The bullpen is going to need work, and we've got one more year before some big decisions need to be made about the rotation. Also if the Cubs go all in on Fowler than the might as well package Almora in a trade for some pitching because he's got nothing left to learn in AAA and would be position blocked by Dex.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cebrail posted:

Lol I thought my newfound love for Carl Edwards Jr. was weird, it's not like he did anything particularly amazing. Thanks, goons, for validating my feelings.

Also he's not from backwoods Georgia, he's from backwoods South Carolina, get your String Bean Slinger facts right please :colbert:

Edwards is great and I adopted him as my "player I really want to do well" when he came up last year. He's shown both sides of his "huge strikeout upside vs poor command/nerves" coin this season, but overall it was a hugely successful year for him and he got to pitch two of the last three outs in the WS :3:

I'm still nursing a hope that he's the Cubs future shutdown closer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you haven't seen it here is a cool fangraphs article talking about how extraordinary it was that Almora had the instincts to go back and tag up on Bryant's deep flyout.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

Theo has literally cemented his position as the greatest GM in the history of the sport, it doesn't matter what he does from now on. I'd imagine he keeps cashing those chicago checks for a bunch of years and then fucks off to make the Rockies or the Padres relevant or something.

Once his tenure in Chicago is over, Theo leaves to tackle the next greatest baseball drought: the Cleveland Indians.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bilirubin posted:

Lackey drunk as poo poo

He's happy he got his jewelry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm just glad I waited to take the plunge on buying that Hendricks jersey, because now I got one with the WS patch on it :unsmith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bob Saget IRL posted:

What's the deal with QOs? The team that signs Fowler would lose a draft pick or something to the Cubs?

Also, i forgot to dvr the parade. Is there a nother way for me to watch?

A team can extend a QO to a player who's entering FA and played the entire season with that team. The terms of what the QO contract is are set at the beginning of the season, I believe it's currently $17.2m/1y. If the player declines the QO and elects to enter FA, then the team that ultimately signs the player surrenders their earliest draft pick to the team that extended the QO.

The system exists - in theory - to protect small market teams that can't afford to compete with richer teams. Even if the Yankees swoop in and dump $200m on all your talent that just hit FA, they have to give you their draft picks so you can at least restock the farm and hopefully stay competitive. In practice though it has a nasty tendency to gently caress over non-super star players who elect FA because of how valuable draft picks are seen as, particularly now with how much younger talent is getting at the major league level. Fowler got absolutely hosed by both a strong FA market and the Cubs QO last year, and when he came back it sounds like there was a gentleman's agreement that the Cubs wouldn't extend another QO to him so he could have a better chance of getting paid this offseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Apparently Miggy was talking poo poo about Maddon yesterday.

V: I'm not surprised by Miggy having sour grapes, hell I think it's arguably a bit justified. He entered the season thinking he was going to be the #1 catcher, and exited having caught a whopping 2 WS innings and sandwiched between Ross being the media darling and Contreras taking all his innings behind the plate. That said, he picked a lovely time and a lovely way to air his grievances.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Free agent next year. Prior to Schwarber shredding his knee he was projected to be trade bait this coming offseason, but the Cubs are deluding themselves if they think that fatass can stick behind the plate now.

And even if they could stick Schwarbs behind the plate, trading Miggy means Schwarber doesn't get the benefit of having a veteran catcher around to help him develop. I'd say Contreras has himself a pretty firm grounding, but I don't know if it's firm enough yet to immediately turn around and start helping Schwarber.

SourKraut posted:

Cubs didn't sign him, the Diamondbacks did. Cubs traded for him expecting he'd be a multi-year mentor to Contreras/Schwarber once called up, in addition to Ross.

It's been a pretty open secret that Miggy wasn't exactly thrilled about training his replacement, particularly when Contreras took off running and started to put a dent in Montero's time behind the plate. That said I figured with Ross leaving and Schwarber's knee, Montero would probably be splitting time fairly evenly with Contreras. I'm not sure if Contreras will be quite ready to catch Lester yet (let's just ignore how much of a disaster Miggy's arm + Lester's inability to throw to the bases will be :shepicide:) Lackey's position on Contreras catching him is pretty clear, and while Arrieta tossed a couple good games with Willson this WS, he clearly prefers Montero. So it seems weird to complain about it now when he's got a decent chunk of time behind the plate lined up for next season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also I signed 4 different guys to be closer

Four elite closers might just be enough for the Giants to get through 9th innings without blowing the game, but personally I'd shoot for 5-6 just to be safe.

ffoecaf posted:

A closer who is not a garbage human being.

That'd be pretty nice, yeah.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Here's the official press release:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/795388249128730626

He should have no problem getting more than $10 million on the free agent market, especially with how weak the pool is this season, so good for him. Frees up some money to go after Jansen or keep Travis Wood.

This is really surprising considering how cheap it would have been to keep him around for another year. I wonder if maybe there were some sour grapes behind the scenes around Hammel not making any of the post-season rosters and he wanted out? I don't recall seeing him hanging around in the dugout or the parade either. Alternatively maybe there's plan to move pieces for a SP with more upside? Not to poo poo on Montgomery, he was perfectly serviceable, but he's also hugely valuable in the pen and if the window is now, I'm not sure why you'd opt for him over a known quantity in Hammel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/795487615612895232

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll cheer for Dex wherever he ends up, since the Cardinals don't need a CF :unsmith:

Except it's the opposite and the Cardinals are one of the primary places Fowler is expected to draw interest so :v:

Nail Rat posted:

But he's probably not re-signing for less than 4 years so you have to look at this with a bit longer window. If you re-sign him for four years with the intention of probably trading him after this year if Almora's ready, and he regresses, that's a problem.

If the Cubs go all in on Fowler they might as well package up Almora for pitching. The OF is already logjammed without Dex, so if you add him back in I think Almora is well and truly position blocked.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

That's why I'm surprised they didn't pick up the option and trade him. Someone would have given up something to get him in the rotation next year.

From what I understand the Cubs essentially treated the team option like a player option, and approached Hammel to ask him if he wanted to stick around for another year or test the FA market. Hammel said he'd rather leave, so the club let him go. There's a fangraphs article that digs a bit into the reasoning for just letting him walk, and the argument I find most compelling is that the Cubs didn't really need him, either as a pitcher or a trade piece. There are young pitchers waiting in the wings to take the #5 spot in Montgomery/Zastryzny in the immediate future, and looking forward to patching up an aging rotation in Lester/Lackey/Arrieta the Cubs are swimming in a veritable mountain of cash they can throw at the problem.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm gonna miss watching opposing players fall down from tripping over the bullpen mound while trying to catch a pop-up. I'm also gonna miss the Cubs bullpen not flinching as a line drive screams their way. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:agreed: Maddon did a fantastic job managing expectations in the clubhouse and keeping the young talent focused, but Roberts squeezed 91 wins and an NL West title out of a team of corpses and took them to the NLCS where they went down swinging to the eventual WS winners.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NL Cy Young finalists out: Hendricks, Lester, Scherzer.

Go Professor, even if I'm 100% convinced Max is going to pick it up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah it's gonna be Scherzer. If Hendricks didn't give up 4 ER in his last start and kept his ERA under 2.00, he'd have it.

Even then, Scherzer leads both in IP, WHIP, K's, and is the only 20 win pitcher in the NL. A sub two ERA may not have been enough to be honest. Scherzer's only blemish is a 2.98 ERA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Bryant will win NLMVP and it won't be close even though it probably should be

Dave Roberts deserves MOTY for how far he pushed the Dodgers in the regular season

As far as Cy Young I give it to the Professor because gently caress it I'm a homer

I agree with all of these, including Hendricks. What he did this season was imo more impressive since he dragged himself up from barely a 5th starter to an inarguable ace by adding a new pitch, making adjustments to his sequencing, refining his control, and changing his mechanics to make all four of his pitches look identical out of the hand. It's not as flashy or well highlighted as K's or IP, but Hendricks transformed himself into an ace and he did it without ever having to touch his velocity.

I don't think the voters are going to see it quite the same way, but hey.

Timby posted:

Going to the NLCS won't have any bearing on the result. Ballots have to be submitted before the first game of the postseason in order to count.

I know it doesn't affect voting, I was just saying it as an example of how well he did. Even without the post season run Roberts stole the NL West out from under the Giants by keeping an injured team consistent while the Giants were in free fall.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/730251094614528000

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

MLB will destroy the Indians World Series gear instead of donating it to overseas charities. MLB says it is being done so the merchandise does not end up being sold.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the gear having the Chief Wahoo branding on it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

If this is the case they should have come right out and said it because...

I mean there's not much to be optimistic about today so I'd like to harbor a secret hope that this is the first sign of the wheels turning to finally remove that racist as gently caress symbol.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:catstare:

Another piece of poo poo to add to the pile, I guess!

Dan Haren status, still cool:

https://twitter.com/ithrow88/status/796208159022952448

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Twitter reports

A MLB agent tells @CSNMooney that free agent reliever Aroldis Chapman is seeking a $100 million contract.

Yeah or no?

Cubs fans?

lol no.

And in any event, the Cubs have apparently hinted that they won't be looking to sign any of the big three closers this off season, and are going to try and develop a closer in house. Probably Edwards, but maybe that means Rondon is getting a second chance too:

"Bleacher Nation posted:

And on those free agent closers you’re undoubtedly pining over – Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, and Mark Melancon – Patrick Mooney suggests that’s not the route in which the Cubs are going. Instead of paying Chapman or Jansen for their success in the past, the Cubs are going to try to identify the next one of them. That said, Jed Hoyer did mention that there’s no way the Cubs would have won the World Series without Chapman and that they’ll at least “have those discussions” of bringing him back. Frankly, I wouldn’t anticipate Chapman back on the Cubs, but it isn’t unlike this front office to explore every single possible angle.

That said, the Cubs are still in talks with Chapman, and linked via rumors to Jansen. Then again, so is everybody else who is going to bother to compete next season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Does this mean Dex will be back? Or just cutting payroll?

It's possible and the Cubs have said they're open to resigning him, but I'd peg it at unlikely at this point. The two primary points of focus for the Cubs, per Hoyer, are starting pitching and the bullpen. This is interesting since they've also signaled they're probably not going to toss money at a closer. Which means that money is being set aside for pitching, either now or down the line. I imagine Dex is going to get offers for a 3-4 year contract at ~$13-16 AAV (think a Ben Zobrist contract) and I'm not sure the Cubs will be willing to pony up that much cash for a bat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Kyle Hendricks voted NL Pitcher of the Year by the MLBPA.

V: :unsmith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TKGore/status/796728636703383553

:unsmith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

I actually don't think the Brewers are four years away from competing but I wonder what the Brewers' front office thinks.

4-5 years from now is when the bulk of the Cubs young talent base will hit FA, which means if you're an NL Central team trying to rebuild that's probably when you'd like your window to open. Honestly I think the Brewers could compete even before that, since they have a decent core of young guys who are going to keep getting better, and a fledgling ace in Davies. They just need to find more answers for their rotation beyond Davies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wish I could feel :smug: about Arrieta winning the SS over Adam "Doubles" Wainwright and Madison "DON'T LOOK AT ME" Bumgarner, but instead I'm just have a sense of mild irritation and disappointment :smith:

e. Also :lol: at Bryant winning the Hank Aaron Award but not the Silver Slugger.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/Braves/status/796744383743819776

V: Cool I guess?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently Kendrick wasn't happy with his playing time on the Dodgers which is why he got dealt.

Neither of these dudes the Dodgers traded for look particularly fantastic but w/e I guess.

• Locked thread