Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Duke?
This poll is closed.
Gross 25 18.38%
Disgusting 30 22.06%
Vile 38 27.94%
Abhorrent 43 31.62%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Welcome to NCAA basketball 2016-2017 season, or rather, welcome come November 11th, but whatever, it starts this month, so use this thread to hype your team as much as possible or bemoan your fate of losing to Northwestern Dakota State Tech in the non-con with it all going downhill from there. The big ones to rip off will be the Armed Forces Classic, with Indiana vs. Kansas and Arizona vs. Michigan State and Seton Hall vs. Farleigh Dickinson. Get prepared for a lot of sports talk about Duke because they recruited everyone under the sun and then recruited people on the moon too for good measure.

korrandark posted:

First AP poll dropped.

Associated Press Top 25 Ranking Team
1 Duke
2 Kentucky
3 Kansas
4 Villanova
5 Oregon
6 North Carolina
7 Xavier
8 Virginia
9 Wisconsin
10 Arizona
11 Indiana
12 Michigan State
13 Louisville
14 Gonzaga
15 Purdue
16 UCLA
17 Saint Mary's
18 Connecticut
19 Syracuse
20 West Virginia
21 Texas
22 Creighton
23 Rhode Island
24 Iowa State
25 Maryland

Get Excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Kim Anderson did 9/11

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

big juicy nectarine posted:

Welcome to NCAA basketball 2016-2017 season, or rather, welcome come November 11th, but whatever, it starts this month, so use this thread to hype your team as much as possible or bemoan your fate of losing to Northwestern Dakota State Tech in the non-con with it all going downhill from there.

This had me rushing to look up Mizzou's schedule. They do play Northwestern State on the 26th but don't play NAIA Dakota State or any Tech teams this year. Bullet dodged, and it's good news because they'd lose to all of them.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I've got a list of fucks so here goes:

gently caress Chris Beard, Dave Rice, Tina Kunzer-Murphy, Jim Livengood, Robert Maxson, NCAA, Duke

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

ur in my world now posted:

Kim Anderson did 9/11

You spelled Mike Krzyzewski wrong.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Go Nova

Penn St still bad

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I hope Jim Sterk fires Kim Anderson after his first loss to a DII team

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

ur in my world now posted:

Kim Anderson did 9/11

This would imply Kim Anderson succeeding at something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KU's bigs combined for 4 rebounds vs. Washburn.

We play Indiana in 9 days and Duke in 2 weeks.

Yikes.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
lol why is mizzou in the thread title? it will be a miracle if we win 10 games this season.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lobos have a bunch of talented guards and forwards this year. And a 7' 1" senior that still plays like a freshman.

Looking forward to somehow underachieving and getting 4th in the MW again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is not gonna make the tourney but the program is in a good place and the occasional rebuilding year is inevitable. I'm excited to see Pete Jok go full Haluska and try to drag the team kicking and screaming to respectability and to see how all the young guys develop, especially Tyler Cook.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So I heard a story today of why John Calipari didn't go to NC State after Herb Sendek left. For years I had heard it was a done deal and the nameplate was literally on his office door, so this corroborates it. Calipari tells this story himself, and the gist is this:

quote:

Calipari visits NC State and loves it and is ready to accept the offer. Fowler took him to get a slice pizza somewhere on campus. Fowler makes Calipari pay for his own pizza. Calipari says right then he decided not to accept the offer. He said if Fowler was that clueless imagine what it would be like to work for him.

I knew I hated Lee Fowler but this is too much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When eating pizza with an Italian always remember there are rules.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ray Smith tore his acl for the 3rd time so he's retiring from hoops :smith:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I don't really know what to expect of Ohio State anymore.

Hope we're good!

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

big juicy nectarine posted:

This would imply Kim Anderson succeeding at something.

He missed building 7, Bush had to take care of that one

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Mons Hubris posted:

I knew I hated Lee Fowler but this is too much.

Jesus Christ, what an embarrassing jackass. It's pretty telling that just about the first thing Randy Woodson did on being named chancellor was to fire Fowler. Who could have possibly wanted to work even a single day alongside him?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

b-minus1 posted:

lol why is mizzou in the thread title? it will be a miracle if we win 10 games this season.

It was a sarcastic joke from a Mizzou poster in the last thread.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Cal had gone to NC State I can't even imagine the Duke / UNC / NC State battles. Roy K and Cal turning North Carolina in to a civil war battlefield.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

If Cal had gone to NC State I can't even imagine the Duke / UNC / NC State battles. Roy K and Cal turning North Carolina in to a civil war battlefield.

Honestly (and no offense to NC State) he probably would've left in a few years anyways

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Northwestern Wildcat are making the NIT this year, book it. It's Vic Law time and apparently there's some undersized super shooty freshman guard on the team that's going to be the next Demps.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Adun posted:

Honestly (and no offense to NC State) he probably would've left in a few years anyways

No reason to think he still wouldn't have gone to UK after.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Adun posted:

vikingstrike posted:

No reason to think he still wouldn't have gone to UK after.

Oh, absolutely. But the program would be vastly better off and Sidney Lowe could've remained a beloved legend rather than Les Robinson mk. 2.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah there's no way NC St would outbid UK and UK is the best possible destination for Cal anyway

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

VCU all the way back down to plucky midmajor status

It was a moderately fun ride

get ready to ride the Lavar Batts train y'all

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have this belief that when K retires Brad Stevens is going to be number one on their list.

I forgot why I feel this way somebody debate me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sure they would love to hire him but why are people so convinced that very well regarded and successful NBA Coach Brad Stevens is even remotely interested in leaving the NBA? Maybe they can try to hire Steve Kerr, Greg Popovich, and Phil Jackson too!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This is probably just wishful thinking but I have the notion that when K hangs it up then Duke is going into a long, slow decline. They didn't have a huge tradition before he got there and they might not afterwards.

None of his protégées with the very questionable exception of Brey are really outstanding, and if the product on court slips then the top-line ESPN etc coverage will go too.

I guess the question is, is Duke now like a UK/KU/UNC that you know will always come back around, or does that go when K does?

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2016

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Northwestern Wildcat are making the NIT this year, book it. It's Vic Law time and apparently there's some undersized super shooty freshman guard on the team that's going to be the next Demps.

I was going to make a joke about Mizzou making the CIT but then I saw the worst team to make it only had 16 losses so that joke doesn't work.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

elentar posted:

This is probably just wishful thinking but I have the notion that when K hangs it up then Duke is going into a long, slow decline. They didn't have a huge tradition before he got there and they might not afterwards.

None of his protégées with the very questionable exception of Brey are really outstanding, and if the product on court slips then the top-line ESPN etc coverage will go too.

I guess the question is, is Duke now like a UK/KU/UNC that you know will always come back around, or does that go when K does?

I'm sure Duke will go into a decline once K retires, if only because it's incredibly hard to replace anyone with his stature and ability. The school has tons of money though and if there's one thing everyone will shell out for it's a good basketball coach.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

I'm sure they would love to hire him but why are people so convinced that very well regarded and successful NBA Coach Brad Stevens is even remotely interested in leaving the NBA? Maybe they can try to hire Steve Kerr, Greg Popovich, and Phil Jackson too!

Well I guess one possibility and I'm not saying this with sarcasm at all but one possibility is that Duke currently pays Coach K like 7 million and change every year and he can coach there until he dies if he wants. It's a lot of security.

I don't know what Stevens makes though, if I remember it wasn't disclosed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I suspect the Boston loving Celtics can match whatever he gets offered by a college team. And I don't know that keeping one of the most successful coaches in the history of the sport around for a long time really means that Duke is going to be a job with great job security forever. That's like saying UCLA would never fire a coach because they let John Wooden stay for a long time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Besides, Celtics coaches go to Louisville.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's going to be weird seeing Michigan State led by freshmen but I'm excited. The early reports on Miles Bridges are very, very good.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

New Mexico is being challenged by Eastern New Mexico. Stop this ride please.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol Mizzou opened their season strong with a HUGE 66-59 exhibition win against Kim Anderson's old team University of Central Missouri.

There is no way he survives to conference play, right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mike_V posted:

lol Mizzou opened their season strong with a HUGE 66-59 exhibition win against Kim Anderson's old team University of Central Missouri.

There is no way he survives to conference play, right?

Syracuse lost to LeMoyne in exhibition not that long ago. You can't take much away from those games.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Syracuse lost to LeMoyne in exhibition not that long ago. You can't take much away from those games.

I think Jim Boeheim's Syracuse teams are a little different than Missouri under Kim Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mike_V posted:

I think Jim Boeheim's Syracuse teams are a little different than Missouri under Kim Anderson.

Certainly. I'm just saying there's not a ton to glean from preseason.

• Locked thread