Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WoFF is generally the good kind of easy, yeah. It's not hard but since almost every fight is contributing towards either new monsters or leveling up (since experience scales so heavily) it rarely feels like an unimportant fight since until near the endgame you're gaining an SP every 2-3 fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I think it offers a easy enough experience without being insulting. The post game stuff is apparentely fairly difficult though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:siren: Protip for capturing mirages: Do their imprism requirements repeatedly. Each time you do it, the chime / tone will sound differently and the circle beneath them will glow more brightly indicating your increased chance to catch them. :siren:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What do I have to beat up to unlock Master Cactuar? I fought one in the arena and I kinda wanna get my own.

Also Cactuar or Cactrot until then? The tough choices.

Beat the game then beat the postgame. Same for Master Moogle and Master Tonberry.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone else having trouble getting this to run on their computer?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting this to run on their computer?

did you download enough RAM?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game is extremely my poo poo, I'm liking it a lot more than I expected. I got a weird Kingdom Hearts vibe from the trailers, but honestly the game is pretty grounded, at least in the ways that are important. The localization team for this knocked it out of the park hard, I don't think I've laughed as much at tutorial screens in any other game. Tama manages to work well for me, cutsey and amusing without veering into grating and I the-like her vocal quirk.

The battle system has one demerit with me, albeit a small one, in that the battle SPEED seems by default exceedingly low. There's really no point in having them bar on the side indicate the passage of turns, because there does not appear to be any way to actually affect the enemy's position on the bar besides stopping it with a sleep status effect or something similar. Contrast this to something like Grandia, where that means of measuring turn order actually was integral to the combat system, with a balance of slow-charged hard-hitting attacks mixed with fast attacks used to keep enemies from performing their own moves or to displace them in the turn order. Here the battles seem quite slow, so the fast-forward command really becomes essential, and I feel like it could have been simplified to make a more compromised solution. If they just adopted a turn-order system like you see in Final Fantasy X, I actually think the whole combat aspect of the game would click into place even better.

All that being said I do feel like there's a lot of depth to the mechanics at play, so I'm pleased to see this isn't a paper-thin RPG. In fact, the whole game seems to be bursting with imagination and a surprising amount of original ideas. For a fanservice title, they actually seemed to really genuinely care about producing a sincerely quality product. The charm at work is important, the game's tone brings it all together. FF13 and the FF7 spin-offs all felt like they were written by space aliens, so I'm glad to see that the wit and humor present in something like FF14 isn't merely a fluke, and appears to be part of the new direction Square is trying to push its products.

For some reason this title gives me great optimism about the future of Final Fantasy.

Okay, that makes me feel better about the game. The KH feel of the trailer I watched put me off the game. As long as it doesn't vanish up its own rear end (Why do you guys think KH3 is taking so long?), I think I may be good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, that makes me feel better about the game. The KH feel of the trailer I watched put me off the game. As long as it doesn't vanish up its own rear end (Why do you guys think KH3 is taking so long?), I think I may be good.

I can make no promises about how the game ultimately ends up, I can just go by the first five hours. It's super cute and funny though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WoFF is like 90% "how many stupid puns can we shove in" and 10% "insane melodrama" with the 10% firmly situated in like the last 2/3 hours of the game.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I've never played an FF game in my life, but I like going out and collecting weird rear end animals to make them fight each other. Should I pick this up even though every piece of fanservice is going to go right over my head?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brick Shipment posted:

I've never played an FF game in my life, but I like going out and collecting weird rear end animals to make them fight each other. Should I pick this up even though every piece of fanservice is going to go right over my head?

Eh. It's a fun game on its own but it's so much FF fanservice it's hard to say if you'd like it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Brick Shipment posted:

It will definitely be jarring seeing some of the FF characters pop up in random locations, but generally the story is self-contained. I think you'll still enjoy it as long as you're cool with the cutesy art style.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Brick Shipment posted:

Just keep in mind almost every sidequest contains some kind of in-joke from the game the character in the sidequest stars in.

Like if you load one up and it's Yuna as the star, 90% it is guaranteed to be jokes focused on FFX

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Sounds like something I shouldn't get too excited about until I can find a copy for reasonably cheap. Thanks guys!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brick Shipment posted:

Sounds like something I shouldn't get too excited about until I can find a copy for reasonably cheap. Thanks guys!

I'd say "give it a shot, you'd probably like it" but to be honest Pokemon is coming out this month and Pokemon is probably more what you're looking for.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say "give it a shot, you'd probably like it" but to be honest Pokemon is coming out this month and Pokemon is probably more what you're looking for.

That's part of the reason I'm willing to wait.
This stacking nonsense sounds interesting though. I'm not gonna dismiss this game entirely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah as posts in this thread have said the games plenty fun but it's fairly obvious that it's a huge celebration to the series. Most of the character bio's aren't actually bio's but jokes, a lot of terms are flung around that won't make a lot of sense unless you're familiar with the series, that kinda stuff.

One of Tidus's Personality traits literally just says "Blitzball"

Example.

:siren: I forgot to mention for the thread but the Free DLC boss is out and you can take it on whenever you want, but the cutscene before it implies that it takes place in the post game so there's some light spoilers in it. The boss will wipe you anyway most likely so it's not super worth it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is great. The character bios are so good. Quistis' got a good laugh out of me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Would the vita version of this work on PSTV?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Would the vita version of this work on PSTV?

Googling seems to suggest the answer is probably no, but this seems like the kind of thing Univbee might know, so you might have a better chance of getting an answer in the PS Store thread or one of the other general discussion threads

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The art style in this is such a turn off.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
The game simply wouldn't work without the art style. I mean, I can respect different opinions, but I just can't imagine it any other way.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
yeah, I get how it can be love it or hate it, but I love it, kind of similarly to the controversy over Wind Waker's cel shading and generally juvenile designs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

morallyobjected posted:

Googling seems to suggest the answer is probably no, but this seems like the kind of thing Univbee might know, so you might have a better chance of getting an answer in the PS Store thread or one of the other general discussion threads

The answer is, indeed, no. Bleh. I have a Vita but the eye strain for me isn't worth it. :(

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Ciaphas posted:

The answer is, indeed, no. Bleh. I have a Vita but the eye strain for me isn't worth it. :(

So, uhh... if you wanted to play this and FFXV and the Vita's beautiful screen gives you eyestrain somehow, why did you sell the PS4 and keep the Vita

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gotta say, Tama works a whole lot better bantering with Lann than being a tutorial the-dispenser.

Speaking of Lann, he is almost Archer levels of Screaming Idiot. I love it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When you motherfuckers are talking about WoFF you better be saying "WOFF" outloud and not world of final fantasy.

Anyways, this game is great and is very charming and I love it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Baal posted:

When you motherfuckers are talking about WoFF you better be saying "WOFF" outloud and not world of final fantasy.

You will be happy to know that this is exactly what my roommate and I do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Empress Brosephine posted:

this gmae looks awesome but is it hard

Specifically every monster starts at level 1 so if you play it like I do where you keep catching everything and wanting to use everything you will be always ultra under leveled. If you stick with monsters at all the monsters level fast and you get quite strong, but if you want to keep always using the newest things the game is really pretty hard because you always will be fighting bosses with like a level 3 monster and a level 12 monster instead of a pair of level 30 monsters that you just kept going with.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

From playing for a few hours last night I've determined that the hardest part of the game isn't just deciding which stacks to use but which Mirage's to even carry in my party so they get experience.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I went back and did that little back area in the first cave dungeon trying to catch a couple of rare mirages, and then I was so overleveled I killed the next boss before he got an action.

Whoops.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Huxley posted:

I went back and did that little back area in the first cave dungeon trying to catch a couple of rare mirages, and then I was so overleveled I killed the next boss before he got an action.

Whoops.

that kind of thing is why I like to switch out mirages from time to time, like other people have said. it keeps the battles way more interesting when your stats are closer to enemies, and you get to experiment with stack abilities

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Gah, app ate my post. I just want to say for those wondering that the Vita version is great. There are some barely perceptible load hitches and some modest slowdown in some areas but battles are very crisp. I have 15 hrs in on my Vita and another 5 on my PS4 with cross-save and I almost like the Vita version better.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Just here to say that I love the Sand Worm and their Gravity Counter. It made several fights go down faster than they should.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
This game is loving great and I am glad that I picked it up. I've barely had time to play it, and I anally go through every area more than once to try to find mirages that I don't have for the collection!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reminder to go through the watchplains twice to get a really good (s) Mirage

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mezzanon posted:

This game is loving great and I am glad that I picked it up. I've barely had time to play it, and I anally go through every area more than once to try to find mirages that I don't have for the collection!

You can actually see which mirages you don't have/haven't encountered from the travel screen when leaving the hills. I just discovered this last night despite being like 12 hours into the game.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Reminder to go through the watchplains twice to get a really good (s) Mirage

You mean black chocobochick?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

FiestaDePantalones posted:

You mean black chocobochick?

Yep. I didn't see it till my second trip through but he's stuck with me through a lot at this point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You don't have to go through twice, just don't blindly take the door after the boss and keep going to the next area (E: of the map, not in the story).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Gotta walk around after the boss to get the gobbos too.

• Locked thread