Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Can someone rationalize Trump's rally schedule in the last 3 days? I know nothing about this kind of planning, but seems kind of all over the place (and hectic) to me?

FL —> NC —> NV —> CO —> IA —> WI —> MI —> PA —> FL —> NC —> NH

About the only 3 things I get are the FL, NC and NH visits. CO, WI, MI and PA showed some tightening in a couple of polls but seems a bit too little to late.

What I don't get: NV when most of the early voting is done and dusted (and likely very unfavourable to him) and IA (thought that was in the bag for him?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Seems to me like he's trying to OD on applause before his supply finally dries up.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

Can someone rationalize Trump's rally schedule in the last 3 days? I know nothing about this kind of planning, but seems kind of all over the place (and hectic) to me?

About the only 3 things I get are the FL, NC and NH visits. CO, WI, MI and PA showed some tightening in a couple of polls but seems a bit too little to late.

What I don't get: NV when most of the early voting is done and dusted (and likely very unfavourable to him) and IA (thought that was in the bag for him?)

You're right about that being an insanely busy schedule - Trump's going to be a wreck at the end of all that.

A big part of the reason for that schedule is because Trump doesn't really have any big-name surrogates to speak for him, so he has to do everything himself. Meanwhile, Hillary has Barack and Michelle Obama, Joe Biden, Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders all going around the country, giving speeches on her behalf.

And yeah, you're also right about NV and IA being really weird choices for Trump.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

canepazzo posted:

A lot of those states are gonna have the biggest, thus loudest, crowds at his rallies. That's it really he's a massive narcissist and wants to hear people applaud and cheer him

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A lot of those states are gonna have the biggest, thus loudest, crowds at his rallies. That's it really he's a massive narcissist and wants to hear people applaud and cheer him

#feeltheshill in that case, and I'll enjoy watching Drumpf throw the world's biggest tantrum when he loses.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

We haven't had a Billmitchell tweet in the new thread yet. Let's rectify that:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/794876485089787904

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

:words: about emails

Here is a post from Crain on how this whole thing actually works in practice, which was a nice read that I hadn't seen literally anywhere else

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778459&pagenumber=100&perpage=40#post460890609

quote:

So, with the whole "Hillary used a PDA to order Drone Strikes" as the new chapter of the emailgateghazi-saga, I decided to ask my father what the hell was actually up with the whole thing. Specifically he is a CISO in a government Agency, has been a CIO, has been a webmaster, sys-admin, and most other computer and system security related title/job combos in the government since like the 70s. I know no one else who could have more experience with exactly what this is (As in literally out of all the people I personally know).

So the TL;DR he gave me was a break down of how FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) actually works in the day to day for basic users and higher ups (including Cabinet level positions). You may have heard or read this act mentioned in the OIG report that was link previously, it's a major consideration when it comes to whether or not Clinton did any wrong and whether or not what she did is actionable.

So here is how, as it was explained to me in very simple but flowery language, information security is supposed to work.

1) Thou shalt have a CIO. Every department, agency, regulatory agency, etc, whatever. If it's a stand alone entity it has to a CIO. The CIO is where the buck stops. When it comes to signing off on exceptions to FISMA and other security rules, it's up to the CIO to sign off on it.

2) Thou shalt have a CISO. You can have more than one, but you need at least one. The CISO generates a risk report based on what rules the end users want to ignore (because following all the rules of FISMA means you most likely cannot do your job if it involves a computer). Do you not want to do XYZ? Well the CISO figures out what the risks in that are. Then passes those risks onto the CIO to be approved.

3) Thou shalt have the Department of Commerce. Because reasons. These guys exist here to just tell the AO/DAA: "Yeah sure". They pass the buck.

4) Thou Shalt have a AO/DAA. The AO/DAA (Authorizing Officer/Designated Authorizing Authority), who is also a CIO, will...do the job of the CIO and sign off on approved ATOs (Authorization to Operate) because that's his job, but in this flow chart he is actually further down the list even though he's the head of the department.

So if you want to do something and it's against FISMA, which it most likely is, you go to your CISO. You say "Hey, we need this router to get a bunch of new hires online, but the WEP isn't working right. So can you sign off on this so we can use it anyway". So the CISO sits down and figures out all the ways that's a bad idea, all the rules you're violating, and then passes that up to the CIO to be approved/denied. If it's approved things move forward. Now if there is a Hack, the big men with guns, badges, and warrants show up, an IT investigator (forget the actual name for this guy) goes through what happened and goes through the list of official FISMA rules and goes "HEY! You didn't follow this rule! The Router wasn't protected right!". To that you say "I was given approval from the CIO to do this" and show the documents.

The men with badges now go to the CIO and ask "The gently caress!?". The CIO is now in trouble because he didn't follow FISMA rules. BUT! The next stage of the investigation is the FBI looking to see if this was done deliberately to facilitate said hack. They find nothing. But it was a criminal investigation. Now the punishment is simply having the funding revoked since the CIO did not spend the funding he was already given to adequately secure government systems. No one else gets in trouble, but they were all investigated.

Now what does this mean for Hillary? Well let's go back to what McAlister posted (sorry about the spelling I can't remember ). 1) The server was already existing prior to her becoming SoS, 2) She did attempt to enter into compliance for the server and blackberry she uses when she took office, and 3) the server was only for the unsecured .gov email, as far as any investigation has shown she has followed the procedure for accessing and using secured information. AKA: Used the burn rooms and skifs in compliance with stated rules like leaving blackberrys/devices outside of secure access rooms, etc.

Here is how that breaks down:

- If Hillary was doing this the CIO is in charge of stopping her. Even if rebuffed on it the CIO is who is responsible.
- Since Hillary did attempt to enter into compliance she is completely clear of any possible criminal charges. Hands down. She was not deliberately attempting to circumvent FISMA rules for the purpose of compromising security. And single 30 second meeting with the CIO of her asking "Can we secure and connect my mail server for work?" suffices. (if documented) ((it is documented)).
- Even if approval for bringing her server/blackberry into compliance was denied it is up to the CIO to stop her from accessing it and using it for work related activities. That's literally the CIO's Job. Caveat: That's if the CIO was aware of the situation. But: That is a weak stipulation since it is your job to know as CIO and The CIO(s) in question did know.

Final point about the Drone blackberry approvals: My father says there is a trump card to FISMA loosely known by "Beans, Blankets, and Bullets". Sometimes in a different order, sometimes with Bombs instead of Bullets. Basically: If it involves the Military and specifically the Military completing a mission then all rules are out. That's why you don't have soldiers calling in troop movements in emergency situations on unsecured lines getting in trouble with the FBI and some Military CIO, beyond just basic decency. So those drone approvals could have been sent by Western Union for all anyone cares.

Hope you found this extra bit of inside info from someone whose literal job it is/was to do this exact thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

canepazzo posted:

We haven't had a Billmitchell tweet in the new thread yet. Let's rectify that:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/794876485089787904

I have to take it as a positive that he's sounding more and more like his own fake parody account as we get closer to election day.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

canepazzo posted:

Trump has a place of his own in Las Vegas so he can spend the night there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

there wolf posted:

So who has the worst ballot measure?

The Insect Court posted:

Florida has a ballot measure that was specifically drafted and advertised as being pro-solar but is actually an attempt to kill off residential solar, underwritten by front groups for the state's utility monopolies.

Beaten but yeah. The one in Florida dealing with solar energy that was written by the utility companies. It's so dishonestly worded that it sounds like a vote FOR solar energy.

quote:

This amendment establishes a right under Florida's constitution for consumers to own or lease solar equipment installed on their property to generate electricity for their own use. State and local governments shall retain their abilities to protect consumer rights and public health, safety and welfare, and to ensure that consumers who do not choose to install solar are not required to subsidize the costs of backup power and electric grid access to those who do.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/03/florida-solar-amendment-utility-companies-electricity

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
AP is reporting they have the documents proving Melania violated her VISA by working modeling gigs.

AP posted:

Melania Trump was paid for 10 modeling jobs in the United States worth $20,056 that occurred in the seven weeks before she had legal permission to work in the country, according to detailed accounting ledgers, contracts and related documents from 20 years ago provided to The Associated Press.
The wife of the GOP presidential nominee, who sometimes worked as a model under just her first name, has said through an attorney that she first came to the U.S. from Slovenia on Aug. 27, 1996, on a B1/B2 visitor visa and then obtained an H-1B work visa on Oct. 18, 1996.

The documents obtained by the AP show she was paid for 10 modeling assignments between Sept. 10 and Oct. 15, during a time when her visa allowed her generally to be in the U.S. and look for work but not perform paid work in the country. The documents examined by the AP indicate that the modeling assignments would have been outside the bounds of her visa.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794737005091401728

Seeing the hispanic vote surge in Nevada and where I live in the deep south of Texas has been pretty awesome. My sister works as a librarian and when she left for home yesterday she said the early voting line looked like a line to a store on Black Friday.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Phayray posted:

AP is reporting they have the documents proving Melania violated her VISA by working modeling gigs.

"Oh, this time something will matter," he hopefully mutters into the air

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't see why it would. People generally don't care about illegal immigrant hot models. It's not even hypocritical of Trump himself given he didn't meet her til year later and likely didn't know or care of her existence or anything she does or did when not in the same room as him.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Chelb posted:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794737005091401728

Seeing the hispanic vote surge in Nevada and where I live in the deep south of Texas has been pretty awesome. My sister works as a librarian and when she left for home yesterday she said the early voting line looked like a line to a store on Black Friday.

It's heartening to see that their election officers worked to ensure that everyone in line could cast their ballots. :unsmith:

Folks were sending pizzas to people stuck in line via online order.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JohnCompany posted:

"Oh, this time something will matter," he hopefully mutters into the air

Lots of poo poo matters. As has been said, Trump's racism is pushing out minorities in record numbers. Evidently saying all Mexicans are rapists and thieves and you are going to ship them all out and build a wall so they can never come back in and that an American judge is too biased to try Trump because the judge has a Mexican heritage *has*, in fact, hurt him.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mulva posted:

Lots of poo poo matters. As has been said, Trump's racism is pushing out minorities in record numbers. Evidently saying all Mexicans are rapists and thieves and you are going to ship them all out and build a wall so they can never come back in and that an American judge is too biased to try Trump because the judge has a Mexican heritage *has*, in fact, hurt him.

Seriously, this poo poo isn't just forum arguments and awkward Thanksgivings for the people Trump's been talking about this whole time. A lot of people who aren't part of marginalized groups tend to lose sight of that really easily.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mulva posted:

I don't think you realize how many people lie about visas coming from Canada to work freelance in the United States

Pro Wrestlers do that constantly (and some get caught)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

It's heartening to see that their election officers worked to ensure that everyone in line could cast their ballots. :unsmith:

Folks were sending pizzas to people stuck in line via online order.

Amazed the HRC campaign hasn't hired out a bunch of taco trucks decked out in Hillary Clinton ads and parked them a legal distance away from the polling stations to hand out free tacos to people who voted

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do most or all states count EV in the days after election day, like with absentee ballots? While I'm less worried overall about the election results at this point I do fear a situation where too many states are too close to call and it takes a few days for the EVs to roll in to seal the deal. I just want this poo poo over and done with 11 PM on the 8th.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nate RFB posted:

Do most or all states count EV in the days after election day, like with absentee ballots? While I'm less worried overall about the election results at this point I do fear a situation where too many states are too close to call and it takes a few days for the EVs to roll in to seal the deal. I just want this poo poo over and done with 11 PM on the 8th.

There will be enough margin in most states that it won't matter. Florida is notoriously slow but it's quite likely Hillary will win without it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Have an arzying NV update:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794905326642302976

if you're a Trumpelthinskin

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Gerrymandering may actually make it easier for Dems to take back the house this election, not harder. As I understand it, a large aspect of gerrymandering involves diluting your opponent's voting pool by packing as many of your opponent's voters into your own districts as you can get away with, while still enjoying a reliable advantage over them. This makes gerrymandered districts brittle, yes you win them reliably but if something seriously goes wrong (like say putting a fascist hamburglar at the top of the ticket and having an all-out civil war between the different wings of your party) all of a sudden you risk losing a shitload of districts which were supposed to be safe.

The number I've seen thrown around for where this is expected to happen is if Hillary wins by ~10 points, she would probably carry enough down-ballots to break through the gerrymandering line. That's about where she was at her biggest lead over trump in the poll aggregates, and pretty far away from where the aggregates say she is today.

That said, there's still good reason to think Trump and the down-ballot R's may under-perform the poll aggregates. The Trump campaign's GOTV effort is basically non-existent. The RNC has tried to pick up the slack and run GOTV efforts for him which is good for Trump, but this means the RNC is spending time/money/people trying to bail out Trump which all should have been going to down ballot races. In the closing weeks of the campaign, Trump has been actively campaigning against congressional Republicans in their own districts because they might have said some vaguely critical things about him. How many of Trump's hard core base are going to vote Trump and leave the down-ballot blank because DC is full of crooks? How many ideological Conservatives are going to stay home on election day because they can't bring themselves to vote Trump? All this poo poo is completely unprecedented in modern politics.

Don't get me wrong, the Dems retaking the house is a real long shot and I'm not putting money on it. But there are a whole lot of congressional republicans in "safe" districts who shouldn't be sleeping well at all.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

canepazzo posted:

Trump's whole angle this election is that there's a fraction of the electorate that doesn't typically vote and doesn't get picked up by the polls, and he alone is going to be the one to activate those people to come out and cast their ballots for him. So he's essentially banking on a huge election day turnout in Nevada on the Nov. 8th that will upend the early voting numbers.

Iowa, he's covering his bases.

Wisconsin, Colorado, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire -- he *HAS* to win one of these. Basically his only shot at winning is to crack open the Blue Wall. Check out the map below. Even if he wins Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, and Iowa, it still only gets him to 265.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/EexAv

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

rscott posted:

Amazed the HRC campaign hasn't hired out a bunch of taco trucks decked out in Hillary Clinton ads and parked them a legal distance away from the polling stations to hand out free tacos to people who voted

That would probably edge a bit too close to bribing voters if they're givin' them out free to voters. If the company did it themselves, fine, assuming they don't make it contingent on who the voter voted for. The campaign doing it raises a lot more flags than would be worth it.

--

It's reassuring to hear that minority turnout is so up, as far as early voting goes. I know there's been a lot of concern about threats of poll monitors and observation challenging voters without just cause to try to figuratively weed out the minority vote (or, in the alleged plans made by some white supremacists near Philly, literally 'weed' out the minority vote :420:). I'm partnering with Election Protection, an LCCR project partnered with about a hundred other groups that does non-partisan election observation to ensure that folks know about what they need to vote and that they aren't unjustly turned away at the polls. The training this year was more firm on what to do if someone goes buckwild trying to shut down the precinct with challenges than the 2012 one was.

Even in Massachusetts, there's been reports of election officials requiring ID during early voting when they didn't need it, a group of white supremacists trying to challenge every single voter darker than a paper bag in their town, polls not having required signage... I can't imagine what kind of insanity it's going to be in a swing state.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
^^^What DO you do when someone goes nuts at a voting precinct?

Bloops Crusts posted:

Trump's whole angle this election is that there's a fraction of the electorate that doesn't typically vote and doesn't get picked up by the polls, and he alone is going to be the one to activate those people to come out and cast their ballots for him. So he's essentially banking on a huge election day turnout in Nevada on the Nov. 8th that will upend the early voting numbers.

Iowa, he's covering his bases.

Wisconsin, Colorado, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire -- he *HAS* to win one of these. Basically his only shot at winning is to crack open the Blue Wall. Check out the map below. Even if he wins Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, and Iowa, it still only gets him to 265.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/EexAv

I feel like NH is his best shot since it is the whitest out of all those Northern states...It's also polling best for him as of late

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I assume the GOP is still hitting Clinton on the issue of her foundation? Cause I just saw this:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/clintons-charity-confirms-qatars-1-million-gift-while-001205827.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pastrymancy posted:

I feel like NH is his best shot since it is the whitest out of all those Northern states...It's also polling best for him as of late
This also wouldn't be terrible if I understand correctly because NV replaces it as a firewall state and adds two EV on top.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Teddybear posted:

That would probably edge a bit too close to bribing voters if they're givin' them out free to voters. If the company did it themselves, fine, assuming they don't make it contingent on who the voter voted for. The campaign doing it raises a lot more flags than would be worth it.

--

It's reassuring to hear that minority turnout is so up, as far as early voting goes. I know there's been a lot of concern about threats of poll monitors and observation challenging voters without just cause to try to figuratively weed out the minority vote (or, in the alleged plans made by some white supremacists near Philly, literally 'weed' out the minority vote :420:). I'm partnering with Election Protection, an LCCR project partnered with about a hundred other groups that does non-partisan election observation to ensure that folks know about what they need to vote and that they aren't unjustly turned away at the polls. The training this year was more firm on what to do if someone goes buckwild trying to shut down the precinct with challenges than the 2012 one was.

Even in Massachusetts, there's been reports of election officials requiring ID during early voting when they didn't need it, a group of white supremacists trying to challenge every single voter darker than a paper bag in their town, polls not having required signage... I can't imagine what kind of insanity it's going to be in a swing state.

I do seem to recall an article out there somewhere that was discussing how taco trucks in Arizona and Texas were also functioning as voter registration locations.

Hell, one of the local professional wrestling/improv shows here in Austin was doing it at the last show they had.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I'm going to the Alabama National Fair today decked out in Hillary gear and with a backpack full of stickers to hand out. Hope I don't get killed.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trump giving a speech right now:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/794908179629043713

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

greatn posted:

Well I'm going to the Alabama National Fair today decked out in Hillary gear and with a backpack full of stickers to hand out. Hope I don't get killed.

God be with you!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pastrymancy posted:

^^^What DO you do when someone goes nuts at a voting precinct?

Well, Mass law requires that a police officer is on duty at every polling station, which is good and bad-- good in the sense that it can head off some looney-tunes poo poo that might otherwise happen, bad in the sense that generally a lot of black voters don't have a super-great relationship with cops. It broadly turns out fine, though.

To challenge a voter in Massachusetts requires that the challenger have specific personal knowledge that the voter is not who they say they are, and the procedure is that the voter swears they are who they say they are, they cast a challenge ballot that is sealed, the envelope is signed by the voter and the challenger, and they investigate the claim. If someone tries to file frivolous challenges, they can face prosecution.

It's fairly rare that someone actually attempts a challenge, and even rarer that it succeeds. But this year I reckon you'll probably have a couple good ol' boys try to roll up and challenge a few voters unsuccessfully before the cop shuffles them along.

citybeatnik posted:

I do seem to recall an article out there somewhere that was discussing how taco trucks in Arizona and Texas were also functioning as voter registration locations.

Hell, one of the local professional wrestling/improv shows here in Austin was doing it at the last show they had.

That's different, yeah. It's also not an inducement to voting-- maybe an inducement to register, but nobody really gives a poo poo about that.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 5, 2016

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

This also wouldn't be terrible if I understand correctly because NV replaces it as a firewall state and adds two EV on top.
Yeah, winning NV prevents a scenario like this:

Although I don't know what the polling looks like in those NE and ME districts that would give Trump 270.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

What are the odds those Marijuana Laws pass?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

What are the odds those Marijuana Laws pass?

Cali will, NV probably will, AZ maybe, probably not, I doubt anything farther east will.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

He just announced another stop, in MN. Cointoss if he's bullshitting or not.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Uranium 235 posted:

Yeah, winning NV prevents a scenario like this:

Although I don't know what the polling looks like in those NE and ME districts that would give Trump 270.
If we give Nevada to Hillary, what would be the next best bet for Trump in this map? Colorado?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

computer parts posted:

Cali will, NV probably will, AZ maybe, probably not, I doubt anything farther east will.

I think the last polls I saw in Massachusetts had it up around 55ish.

Yeah, 55-40, although the most recent polls has it around 48-44. I think it's gonna pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computer parts posted:

FL came within a hair's breadth in 2012 and failed because of some conservative doctors' fear mongering bullshit, but I think you're right and it won't be that close this time

old people suck

• Locked thread