Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

uXs posted:

Are those early voting ballots being counted (and results published) already, or are they just exit polls?

Early voting reports are turnout by party (Dem, Rep, Other) in Nevada.

No results published until after polls close on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
How is everyone showing NV up by insane amounts, and Nate still hasn't updated? Because they're actual voting numbers and not polls? Seems silly.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Iron Lung posted:

How is everyone showing NV up by insane amounts, and Nate still hasn't updated? Because they're actual voting numbers and not polls? Seems silly.

Nate does not factor early voting estimates into his models, nor do the other aggregators.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah. 538's model relies on polls that take into account early voters' responses to reflect early voting. Except whoops, there haven't been many polls of NV this week.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Good God I hope we get the Senate. It is too close for comfort. Sucks that even my left leaning friends hate Bayh. I hope they voted for him anyways...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wyld Thang posted:

Nevada Democrats aren't crossing over to vote for a Republican.

What I was saying was, naturally the early voting numbers would favor the Democrat and theoretically those numbers may be way different on Election Day.

Of course as you and others have pointed out, by now the early voting is high enough that it's basically over barring some huge mistake in the exit polling. So my earlier caveat really doesn't apply.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So what would you say are the chances in Nevada based on those early voting numbers? 70%? 90%? 95%?
It does look weird that the previous polls were so far off.
Maybe every other poll which showed Clinton ahead was wrong too?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

So what would you say are the chances in Nevada based on those early voting numbers? 70%? 90%? 95%?

Let me reply to you with this nugget:

https://twitter.com/BillinPortland/status/794970853024919552

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Don't know about other polls but the recent CNN/ORC with trump +6 in Nevada had him +1 in Clark iirc. The same Clark where democrats have accumulated a massive EV lead. Their LV screen is a hell of a thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pastrymancy posted:

But that seems like a non issue to the base. Granted, they really need college educated whites to come home

Maybe Rudy as a former prosecutor realized that if he keeps talking about getting leaks from Feds violating the Hatch Act, he might end up in front of a grand jury?

Ballz posted:

Trump posted his map.

https://twitter.com/realKentron/status/794948260830085120

That is probably the only feasible path to victory, although it's still quite a longshot.

Edit: It still gives no explanation whatsoever on why he'd be going to Minnesota and not, say, Michigan.

So they've conceded PA and even NH? How is Michigan a closer shot than PA? :psyduck:

I guess the pollster they hired after the guy they stiffed realized he needs to cook up some bullshit Trump wants to hear to get paid.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Nevada is operating within expected parameters, we knew the vote for people Trump belittles was going to be higher than LV screens were likely anticipating. The unknowns of this election are "how much does ground game matter" and what extent do LV screens actually work.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Who is that? He does raise an interesting point though:
https://twitter.com/BillinPortland/status/794968504856432645
She looks so goddamn uncomfortable.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 5, 2016

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

Nevada is operating within expected parameters, we knew the vote for people Trump belittles was going to be higher than LV screens were likely anticipating. The unknowns of this election are "how much does ground game matter" and what extent do LV screens actually work.

One of the most common comment I see from those monitoring early vote is that majority of dem and npa voting is coming from unlikely voters; mostly people who haven't voted in 2012, or only once in the last 3 elections (not sure if it includes 2010 and 2014 or it counts only presidentials). Based on that, I think LV are likely underpolling dem voters.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Filthy Hans posted:

Wow, that poll is far more optimistic than I expected. The current initiative is more limited in medical scope than the last one, but even so there are vast numbers of Floridians who will benefit from medical marijuana.

quote:

“Debilitating Medical Condition” means cancer, epilepsy, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired
immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's
disease, multiple sclerosis, or other debilitating medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to those enumerated, and for
which a physician believes that the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the potential health risks for a patient.

Not a lawyer but does the line I've bolded in the definition text give an out of the restrictions and allow prescription at a doctor's discretion like in other medical states?

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 5, 2016

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Antti posted:

Maybe Rudy as a former prosecutor realized that if he keeps talking about getting leaks from Feds violating the Hatch Act, he might end up in front of a grand jury?

So they've conceded PA and even NH? How is Michigan a closer shot than PA? :psyduck:

I guess the pollster they hired after the guy they stiffed realized he needs to cook up some bullshit Trump wants to hear to get paid.

NH should probably be red on this map if they're thinking of taking Michigan, Ohio and Iowa, but its small electoral votes would make no difference one way or the other. PA going red is an urban legend, so it'd make sense for them to concede it.

Of course, the latest rumblings is Trump camp has given up altogether and their new goalpost is "doing better than Romney."

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
He's becoming aware.

https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/794960628527996928

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

canepazzo posted:

One of the most common comment I see from those monitoring early vote is that majority of dem and npa voting is coming from unlikely voters; mostly people who haven't voted in 2012, or only once in the last 3 elections (not sure if it includes 2010 and 2014 or it counts only presidentials). Based on that, I think LV are likely underpolling dem voters.

I would agree and add the further caveat that they're probably overestimating the normalcy of this elections because the LV models all assume at least a Romney level effort on the Republicans part for GOTV.

I don't want to be smug and assured yet but it seems largely like that is coming to pass.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Trump always looks like he doesn't know how to hold babies either when someone hands theirs over for a photo op.

The Obamas and Hillary look like they've, you know, actually spent time raising their children as opposed to shuffling them over to a nanny.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Deplorable exmarx posted:

You can post about the election here.

The rules
[list][*] Post about the election
[*] You will be probated if you post about other posters
This list is subject to change without notice

I haven't been one to take the troll bait much but just to clarify, does this include quoting a poster you disagree with and attacking their position?

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I was saying was, naturally the early voting numbers would favor the Democrat and theoretically those numbers may be way different on Election Day.

That's statistically impossible with over 50% of the usual general election turnout already accounted for.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Huh, He's embracing it. Every time I actually hear something about him, I start to respect him more. That annoys me to no end.
By the way. do you think there could be unfaithful electors in Utah?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Nate's made the closing argument - Hillary has to fear 3 factors:

White college voters going back to Trump
African-American turnout tanking
White non-college voters surge (the shy Trump wave).

If only one happens, she's fine.
If all three, he wins.
If two out of three, it's a coin toss (and potentially EV / popular vote split in Trump's favour).

Not as optimistic as others, but I think it's good odds for the good guys.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A couple of periodic reminders:

I've compiled a Twitter list of corncobs that should provide much entertainment on Election Night:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/lists/corncobs

Currently has 26 people, and I'm always open for more additions. I'll be working for much of election night so I probably won't be able to add anyone then, so get me your suggestions now! It has your Bill Mitchells, your Mike Cernoviches, and poo poo, H.A. Goodman is there just for the hell of it.

Secondly, please consider giving some of your nasty woman cash or bad hombre bucks to a charity that helps victims of domestic and sexual abuse. Pretty sure we've raised more money in less than a month than Trump has given to charity in 25 years.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Ballz posted:

Of course, the latest rumblings is Trump camp has given up altogether and their new goalpost is "doing better than Romney."

Romney at least had the appearance of a voter turnout machine. Trump doesn't even have that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Reminder

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

+1 today for Hillary in FL, as well as a vote against the power companies and their bullshit and one for medical marijuana. Also hoping Rubio somehow loses.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Huh, He's embracing it. Every time I actually hear something about him, I start to respect him more. That annoys me to no end.
By the way. do you think there could be unfaithful electors in Utah?

Dont you hate it when Mormons turn out to be waaaayy too nice? Except for the gay hatin thing

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

canepazzo posted:

If all three, he wins.
If two out of three, it's a coin toss (and potentially EV / popular vote split in Trump's favour).

I don't see 1 happening at all, and while 2 may be lower than 2008/12, I don't think it'll drop to "tanking" levels.

3 is the most likely of any, but even that I can see being less than anticipated due to Trump's complete disinterest in a GOTV effort.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

canepazzo posted:

If all three, he wins.

So no, no, and probably not enough anyway even if it did. She'll be fine.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016
Nate Silver is paid to arzy. No one does it better than him.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Maybe she doesn't want any cheetoh tan to rub off onto her cheek.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Alan Smithee posted:

Dont you hate it when Mormons turn out to be waaaayy too nice? Except for the gay hatin thing

Tell me about it, I'm a conflicted fan of Brandon Sanderson.

Is there anyone else notable these days that fits into ye olde Republican stereotype of being a polite nice guy who secretly/not-so-openly hates a certain group?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I really can't shake the feeling that Nate Silver is hedging his results so much that his commentary on the polls has gone very far past an event horizon of useless punditry. But that's probably because that's exactly what's happening.

Everything I've read from him in the last month translated into "This candidate could win, unless they lose. What the polls tell us, according to my very scientific model, is that the winning will happen if things that could cause the candidate to lose do not happen, but if things happen that could cause the candidate to lose, then look out! That would mean, according to my very scientific model, that they could lose."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wyld Thang posted:

That's statistically impossible with over 50% of the usual general election turnout already accounted for.

Well, yeah, when I wrote that post I did not realize just how much of the state that EV was going to represent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

perhaps in 2020 they can run a "Trump is lit fam" shirt

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Argas posted:

Tell me about it, I'm a conflicted fan of Brandon Sanderson.

Is there anyone else notable these days that fits into ye olde Republican stereotype of being a polite nice guy who secretly/not-so-openly hates a certain group?

Killary Rotten Clinton her :siren: erased emails :siren: proof it!

Serious answer: Strictly speaking not a politician, but a lot of people who watched the third debate thought that Chris Wallace seems like a nice guy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 5, 2016

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Ballz posted:

A couple of periodic reminders:

I've compiled a Twitter list of corncobs that should provide much entertainment on Election Night:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/lists/corncobs

Currently has 26 people, and I'm always open for more additions. I'll be working for much of election night so I probably won't be able to add anyone then, so get me your suggestions now! It has your Bill Mitchells, your Mike Cernoviches, and poo poo, H.A. Goodman is there just for the hell of it.

Secondly, please consider giving some of your nasty woman cash or bad hombre bucks to a charity that helps victims of domestic and sexual abuse. Pretty sure we've raised more money in less than a month than Trump has given to charity in 25 years.

I appreciate the corncobs list, though I made the mistake of looking at it early, and now need to scrub all the blood from my monitor when my head exploded. Saved until Wednesday morning.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The Pope is woke:

https://twitter.com/AlGiordano/status/794980464540995584

Ganon
May 24, 2003
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/793866560112918528

the gently caress is wrong with WI. Ron Johnson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alan Smithee posted:

perhaps in 2020 they can run a "Trump is lit fam" shirt

Saw a 16 year old at the high school I work at wearing a blue version of this. :smith:

• Locked thread