Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/11/frenchman-given-suspended-sentence-for-naming-his-wi-fi-network-daesh-21 posted:

An 18-year-old man from Dijon was convicted for "praising terrorism" and was given a suspended sentence of three months in prison because the SSID of his Wi-Fi network was "Daesh 21."

"The authorities went to the street to evaluate the signal, made numerous inquiries, in vain, with Samsung, and then to the operator, etc., to eventually be able to identify this young man," she told Next Inpact.

samsunged again

post ur fav SSIDs that will get u jailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tell my wifi i got jailed for my ssid

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sounds like it would be a fun hobby to break your neighbors weak wifi encryption and set up a secondary naughty SSID, tons of routers support that nowadays and almost no one would ever have any idea it was their own network

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i read the article and i guess i just think it's weird that somebody could make it to 18 without ever being given a name

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/790211041045127172

also lol @ all the replies being people saying "LOL DON'T DO THAT DUMMY" because i guess free speech only applies to racists & misogynists

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

also lol @ all the replies being people saying "LOL DON'T DO THAT DUMMY" because i guess free speech only applies to racists & misogynists

i'm the official twitter account without a blue star

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this isnt in america

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

jony ive aces posted:

lol ok transaction notes are protected free speech now

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
i have a hard time feeling pity for somebody dumb enough to put "ISIS" in the transaction notes.

it's a reasonable thing to suspect. i'd want an account suspended if it had something like "bombs" there too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean sure if you have a genuine reasonable suspicion then yeah do what's needful, but at the same time i would think it'd be a relatively quick matter to figure out if they're actually funding terrorism or w/e

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol ok transaction notes are protected free speech now

idk why not, here in oregon strip joints are legal b/c the state supreme court ruled that stripping is literally a form of expression and as such is protected under the state constitution

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/SamuelPatt/status/790275158317604864

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

maybe governments shouldnt force private corporations to do anything?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
If they had even bothered to ask lowtax he could have told them paypal is poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SSID more like ISISID

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

i have a hard time feeling pity for somebody dumb enough to put "ISIS" in the transaction notes.

it's a reasonable thing to suspect. i'd want an account suspended if it had something like "bombs" there too.

Reminder that Verizon sponsored a payment platform called isis

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what if your daughter is named isis and you're sending her some money for tuition or something?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

BONGHITZ posted:

maybe governments shouldnt force private corporations to do anything?

bitcoin thread is -----> thataway friend

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

there is a company near where i live called "isis removals"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

idk why not, here in oregon strip joints are legal b/c the state supreme court ruled that stripping is literally a form of expression and as such is protected under the state constitution

dancing is 100% expression of free speech. communication between two parties using a financial system when both parties have agreed to a multi page legal agreement is way way way different

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the example of the strip clubs is also flawed because in that case it was the government trying to shut down the strip clubs whereas in this case it's just paypal saying "lol gently caress you we don't wanna deal with this bullshit even if it's a false positive"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It was probably the Office of Foreign Assets Control if this story is to be believed. The bureaucracy doesn't die :black101:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It gets kind of old when people freak out about a company refusing to serve them. Free speech only applies when it's the governments decision

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

quote:

In August 2014 Isis changed their name on Facebook to "Isis the band" in order to avoid any confusion with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.[40]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/19/us/isis-book-store-name-unintended-consequences/

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

i'm the protective energy

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Hed posted:

It was probably the Office of Foreign Assets Control if this story is to be believed. The bureaucracy doesn't die :black101:

i got this exact email from them in 2014

venmo support posted:

On 7/27 you sent a payment for the amount of $187 with the note, The <my friend's name> Foundation for an Islamic State in Iraq and Syria Please provide an explanation for:
  • your reference to The <my friend's name> Foundation for an Islamic State in Iraq and Syria as well as
  • elaborate on what this payment was specifically for
Weve placed some restrictions on your account until we hear back from you.

They unfroze my account and didn't block the transaction tho

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

oh no blimp issue posted:

Sounds like someone might have a job for them in Iraq

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
for a while my wifi was "mosque 344" when i had a dumbass neighbour bc i wanted muslims to try and pray into his place

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah me mentioning free speech was a bad example but it's still sloppy ux design to ban people for a 4-character string

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

one type 2 error and they'd be looking at the company shutting down and c-levels getting federal charges soooooo

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

for a while my wifi was "mosque 344" when i had a dumbass neighbour bc i wanted muslims to try and pray into his place

why would they pray into his place rather than your place

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
remember when james made headlines by messin' up his wifi so bad that he almost got lethal injection

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
e

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

remember when james made headlines by messin' up his wifi so bad that he almost got lethal injection

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

yeah...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's super fitting that james is the quintessential yospos name, because, of course, it is pronounced with a soft g

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's super fitting that james is the quintessential yospos name, because, of course, it is pronounced with a soft g

nay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Reminder that Verizon sponsored a payment platform called isis

i think the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria announced its existence a few months after Verizon started to implement the payment system, and it was just really bad timing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh no blimp issue posted:

you should tweet their phone # to @hillaryclinton

• Locked thread