Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Friendly reminder: if you got matched to buy a gift for goon Krysmphoenix and want any help determining what to get or what they already have access to; PM me or ask Leperflesh for my email address. Krysm is my roommate and I'd be happy to dig through our game shelves for a good cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I get to go shopping today! Hopefully I don't pull a grandma and get the wrong things.

"But I wanted a Pickachu, not a Riachu!"

"Enjoy your Nintendo" *hands over a Sega*

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
GIFT SENT

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
My gift is sent and will arrive, barring major calamity, on Wednesday. I hope the things I picked are to my Santee's liking, but fortunately Amazon has gift receipts.

Santee, if you find the things are not to your liking, return 'em, get with me in some capacity and I will make sure you get something you actually like/don't already have/that is not a prosthetic cock.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, quick question. Since I have signed up for 2 people this time around will they be coordinating on the gift, or should I specify in my wishlist? I would hate to have people looking for the same things...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A gift! A gift goes!

(Read: gift dispatched. Shipping info available on request, Leperflesh, but hopefully it should arrive quickly anyway.)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
GIFT AWAY

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Are you guys who are sending gifts already just ordering off of Amazon ( Or whereever ) and shipping it to the recipient?

Because holy poo poo if you are already able to head out to pick up stuff locally and get it in the mail, that's impressive!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Are you guys who are sending gifts already just ordering off of Amazon ( Or whereever ) and shipping it to the recipient?

Because holy poo poo if you are already able to head out to pick up stuff locally and get it in the mail, that's impressive!

I ordered off Amazon because my FLGS was being... a bit strict on their pricing.

In related news, GIFT SHIPPED!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I always just find an online vendor and have stuff sent that way whenever possible.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I definitely just went with Amazon. I know it's not as personalized, and I have mad respect for people who go all-out with personalized/handmade gifts for SA Secret Santa exchanges, but I'd rather get something in the mail as soon as possible to ensure it gets there in plenty of time. I may be biased since my first year I procrastinated way too long on getting a personalized package in the mail, and then last year I ordered directly from Mantic and the package took approximately 3000 years to arrive, so this year I mostly want quick delivery to assuage my own guilt.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I shopped online as it was an OOP thing, but got it sent to my place. Going to wrap it up with some others before sending it to the lucky recipient.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
I went Amazon as they have a better return policy for people not in the same town - unlike, say, my FLGS. If the gift wasn't juuuuust right my Santee would have a bear of a time dealing with a small town, no web presence gaming shop. The downside being there's a lack of personalization, but I'll take that in exchange for having guarantees in shipping time, returns, drone delivery, etc.

Plus, Amazon made it super easy to go overboard. And isn't that what giving gifts is all about, really?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I live on an island in the Pacific Ocean. I'm not going to have the same options or available stock, not to mention shipping, because my Santee may or may not live on the same island as me. Though plenty of tea if my Santee had asked for tea, but maybe he'll prefer games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LordAba posted:

Oh, quick question. Since I have signed up for 2 people this time around will they be coordinating on the gift, or should I specify in my wishlist? I would hate to have people looking for the same things...

I informed the santas of multi-gift goons of each other, so they know there's another goon sharing present duties, and that goon's SA name. I leave it to them to choose to coordinate or not (which they can do through me or not, their choice).

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'd guestimate that around 80% or so of TGSS participants order a gift online for direct delivery to their Santees. Probably half of those orders are from Amazon. In addition to being faster and having better return options, this also means not spending money on double shipping, and also not having to go stand in line at a post office or shipping company desk during the christmas shipping season.

Choosing to buy locally is fine and good, of course, and I'd encourage folks to support their local gaming stores, if they're good. A good gaming store creates a community, and communities of gamers support and expand the hobby, and that force drives and sustains the industry.

But it's awfully hard to ignore the typically steeper discounts to be found online, in addition to the other considerations. You can often afford a more expensive/nicer gift for your Santee that way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For me, ordering through online vendors is largely down to expediency...there's a deadline and I want to make sure I hit it, so being able to instantly set a gift in motion is vastly preferable than having to go shopping after work, then having to package it up, then having to go to the post office the next day, etc.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Part one of my gift has been ordered for shipping (an item is on pre-order, should be released on Nov. 25.)

the BONUS part i specified in my first post will be sent off sometime this week.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Gift away! Predicted arrival is November 23rd.

Bonus gift with something Christmassie from the local market will be dispatched later this week and will take much longer to arrive.

Also, I will be signing up for the lightning round! Click the question mark below to see gift preferences.

Bruxism fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 21, 2016

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Components of my Santee's gift are on their way to me for re-packaging and re-sending.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
Gift ordered (with expedited delivery)... should be there in 24-48 hours.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Gift away! Looks like it may end up being two boxes because online retail.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dulkor posted:

Gift away! Looks like it may end up being two boxes because online retail.

This is exactly the same boat I'm in; look like 2 parcels are on their way to my Santee!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Leperflesh posted:

I'd guestimate that around 80% or so of TGSS participants order a gift online for direct delivery to their Santees. Probably half of those orders are from Amazon. In addition to being faster and having better return options, this also means not spending money on double shipping, and also not having to go stand in line at a post office or shipping company desk during the christmas shipping season.

Choosing to buy locally is fine and good, of course, and I'd encourage folks to support their local gaming stores, if they're good. A good gaming store creates a community, and communities of gamers support and expand the hobby, and that force drives and sustains the industry.

But it's awfully hard to ignore the typically steeper discounts to be found online, in addition to the other considerations. You can often afford a more expensive/nicer gift for your Santee that way.

Oh I get it. Not knocking it or anything, but holy poo poo, 1 day in and there are a lot of gifts in the air already on their way.

I'm likely ordering from Amazon as well, but I was probably going to try and personalize it a bit.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

GIFT IS AWAY!

Santee, enjoy your pre-Thanksgiving Christmas gift!

I order from Amazon for reasons already stated by others; ease of returns if the gift falls flat and to make 1000% sure the gift is not late. This year it looks to arrive almost obscenely early, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I ordered from Amazon for the sheer ease of it. Then I chained my kid to the table and made him draw out some wicked-awesome crayon battlescene. (Just kidding, I bribed him with peanut butter).

Once it all comes in I'll get to experience the US Postal Service during the holidays.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Yooper posted:

I ordered from Amazon for the sheer ease of it. Then I chained my kid to the table and made him draw out some wicked-awesome crayon battlescene. (Just kidding, I bribed him with peanut butter).

Once it all comes in I'll get to experience the US Postal Service during the holidays.

Same here, well except for the kid thing.

The SS community that I did previously on another forum said ordering from Amazon and having it simply shipped was fine, then they all frowned upon it later. So I was trying to avoid that here. I'm definitely not against it at all, was just going on that previous assumption.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I am looking forward to buying a present for my santee. They are going to get a good present and it is going to be fun to see the look in their eyes (I will be hiding in the bushes outside their house watching them).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There have been a flurry of requests and responses via email: I have processed all of them now. Let me know if anyone didn't get a reply!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
GIFT IS EN ROUTE, REPEAT, GIFT IS EN ROUTE.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Same here, well except for the kid thing.

The SS community that I did previously on another forum said ordering from Amazon and having it simply shipped was fine, then they all frowned upon it later. So I was trying to avoid that here. I'm definitely not against it at all, was just going on that previous assumption.

If I try and buy something via any e-commerce site and ship it to someone that is not my address then my credit card company has a massive freak out. Otherwise I'd have loved to have bought it all on Amazon.foreign.country and saved myself the USPS bullshit.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I am thinking about going the Amazon route, but that means I won't be able to include the rather fun letters I added last year.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Loxbourne posted:

I am thinking about going the Amazon route, but that means I won't be able to include the rather fun letters I added last year.

Yeah, just ship it to yourself first

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If I don't ship it to my house I won't be able to sneak in stuff for me...

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

My gift will go out on Weds, which is payday :v:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Ropes4u posted:

If I don't ship it to my house I won't be able to sneak in stuff for me...

Using me as an excuse, huh?

... I'll allow it. I spend more on myself during Christmas than everyone else combined, typically.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Present deployed. My santee should expect a cardboard box on their doorstep. The wonders of the Fulton system for both recovery and deployment!

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Gift sent! Should get there around the 1st or 2nd, hopefully in one shipment.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Gift is in the pipe!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

I informed the santas of multi-gift goons of each other, so they know there's another goon sharing present duties, and that goon's SA name. I leave it to them to choose to coordinate or not (which they can do through me or not, their choice).

Fair enough, thanks!

I bought all my crap local and will be shipping them out next Monday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Gift is away! It's going pretty far, but it should be there well before the deadline!

• Locked thread