Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The xx is very good. I saw Button Push Man do a DJ set in front of 20,000 people at a music festival in June and it was incredible, people went nuts.

Their performance on SNL convinced me not to see them live. Jamie's DJing has taken such an integral part in the band's music that it has harmed their stage presence, Romy and Oliver looked so loving goofy swinging their guitars around to mask that 80% of the song was Jamie pushing buttons and sampling Hall and Oates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Schlub Husband posted:

I enjoyed both performances by the xx, and was genuinely surprised by the negative reception they received in this thread. Those songs were so chill, and pretty, and catchy, and that woman had a really nice voice. Am I really alone on this one? :confused:

They were too low energy and looked liked dorks on tv. I thought the music was fine.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Snooze Cruise posted:

low energy and looked liked dorks

this is accurate

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm very disappointed they had Will Forte and Kristen Wiig there and we didn't get a Gilly sketch.

Yeah I said it, gently caress the rest of you.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Knormal posted:

I'm very disappointed they had Will Forte and Kristen Wiig there and we didn't get a Gilly sketch.

:yeah::respek::yeah:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Knormal posted:

Maybe they'll put a dress cut on YouTube this week? :shrug:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
We got a Gilly skit that wasn't poo poo, it was her as the Madeline balloon and other people made it funny.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Knormal posted:

I'm outraged they had Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis there and we didn't get a What Up With That sketch.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I skipped the monologue and all of Wiigs recurring characters. Did I miss anything?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Not Gilly, but it's a cut sketch :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBY9coqpFc

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

AnimeJune posted:

I'm outraged they had Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis there and we didn't get a What Up With That sketch.

I thought the same as soon as I saw Sudeikis. I hope we get one before Keenan leaves, but I guess they didn't have Lindsay Buckingham on hand.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CRINDY posted:

Romy and Oliver looked so loving goofy swinging their guitars around to mask that 80% of the song was Jamie pushing buttons and sampling Hall and Oates.

Their awkward guitar swirl dance made them look like either malfunctioning country bear jamboree robots or glee club kids who have never heard an AC/DC album trying to imagine what a "rock show" looks like. Neither of these is a good or cute thing.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 21, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Dwayne "The Scissors" Johnson is the most Dad joke I've seen on TV in a long time. As a dad, I just want to thank everyone at SNL who fought for it.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

TheScott2K posted:

Dwayne "The Scissors" Johnson is the most Dad joke I've seen on TV in a long time. As a dad, I just want to thank everyone at SNL who fought for it.

Amazingly, my dad didn't even get that joke! I had to explain it to him. :lol:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Another cut bit, a filmed piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_DHJrswOKw

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I saw that bit on YouTube yesterday. Not the funniest thing in the world, but it was good for some chuckles. I like how any denial is always followed by the losing horn sound from television's most exciting hour.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I enjoyed it. The way approved things dispersed to the world was funny

Tonight, finally, a real Vintage - Woody Harrelson and David Byrne from November 18, 1989!

This was the first time Woody hosted, and the second time Byrne appeared (first, of course, with the Talking Heads a decade prior.) Nice to see an episode from the 80s again!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Heading to NYC in the morning, i'll post whatever pictures i'm allowed to take. Probably won't be able to take any of the studio. To counteract, i'll take as many pictures of the screaming 16 year old girls in the standby line waiting to catch a glimpse of Shawn Mendes

I'm going to try to leave the studio when he's singing :v:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The last two eps of 2016 are John Cena & Maren Morris and Casey Affleck & Chance the Rapper

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chance was on this season already, wasn't he?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Chance was on this season already, wasn't he?

No. maybe you're thinking of The Weeknd?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like it was last December. I thought it was more recent.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

sportsgenius86 posted:

No. maybe you're thinking of The Weeknd?
Who incidentally seems to be on way more than his level of fame would dictate

But yeah Chance was on the "Kanye has everyone else do the work for him but is still the musical guest" episode last year

Of the 3 announced hosts, I'm probably most excited about John Cena.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He did appear with Kanye, but he was the actual musical guest for Hemsworth last December.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ahh yeah, I kinda got him lost in their 6 musical guest rotation of Drake-Ariana-Weeknd-Kanye-indiecredgroup-personwhosebestworkis15yearsbehindthem.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Unironically stoked for John Cena.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I feel old. I've never heard of Maren Morris, and the little I've heard of Chance the Rapper has left me very unimpressed.

pwn
May 27, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Heading to NYC in the morning, i'll post whatever pictures i'm allowed to take. Probably won't be able to take any of the studio. To counteract, i'll take as many pictures of the screaming 16 year old girls in the standby line waiting to catch a glimpse of Shawn Mendes

I'm going to try to leave the studio when he's singing :v:
Be sure to try to take in all that you possibly can. Did you know SNL has the only manned crane camera still in use on network TV? You're gonna see it swinging all over the place tonight.

Another thing to watch out for: Stage manager Gena Rositano. You'll see her running all over the place, and take note: During the credits, she'll give the cast and guests the go-ahead when the crane has pulled back to the Times Square clock, and it's clear to leave the stage.

I don't know for certain, but if I were to guess, I'd say this practice went into effect not long after the on-air walkoff at (not quite) the end of the Kristie Alley/Tom Petty episode in 1991.

Mostly I'm jealous that you're going to get to see and hear the SNL band play all night. They'll play for a while before the show, then during the show, and stick around after the cast walks off at the end, since it'll likely be your only chance to ever hear the end of the closing theme, "A Waltz in A."

Enjoy, and report back! :woop:

I will have the December thread up later tonight, by 9/8 central time. There's no Vintage tonight btw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ArtVandelay posted:

I feel old. I've never heard of Maren Morris, and the little I've heard of Chance the Rapper has left me very unimpressed.

She's a country singer and has only had 2 songs that got any real airplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

meet the new thread, same as the old thread

• Locked thread