Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not enough David S. Pumpkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Best known for being the theme song for Spike Jonze's 'Where the Wild Things Are'

I thought they were playing music from a Canadian band (*) because they were going to run away to Canada.

(*) I know that Win Butler and his brother are American, but the band is a Montreal thing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
thoughts:

- Maybe Church Lady always should have been an 'Update' piece? That worked better than most Church Chat sketches.

- In my 24 years of watching this dumb show, I've never seen a plea to vote like at the end of the cold open.

- I don't care if South Park did it, I'm glad Not South Park has now done the backwards toilet gag.

- Cubs own, their cameos owned, Bill Murray owns

Great show overall, 4 out of 5 somethings.

Here's a peek at the hair and makeup at SNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhTsS8JdgQ

pwn
May 27, 2004

Chappelle promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TjrmEAVLcA

pwn
May 27, 2004

Basically,

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love they've looked through the parallel universe archives and found the best episode of the 90s/00s that never happened over here.
You already know who Dave Chappelle is. A Tribe Called Quest is a classic hip/hop group that recently re-united to record their first record in 18 years, We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service, which is also their last album. From The Verge:

quote:

When A Tribe Called Quest reunited to perform on The Tonight Show last fall, the group — Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Jarobi White, and Phife Dawg — couldn’t know what 2016 would bring. They were pioneers returned from hip-hop’s golden age, but not prophets. They couldn’t see Donald Trump taking the White House. They couldn’t see the rise of the alt-right as a significant corner of the electorate. And no one could foresee the personal tragedy the group would face: Phife Dawg’s too-soon death from diabetes.

One year later, we have President-elect Trump and an ascendent alt-right, but we also have We got it from Here… Thank You 4 Your service, ATCQ’s first album in 18 years and also its last. It’s an album that celebrates the group’s past and looks consciously towards to future. It also honors the memory of Phife Dawg himself, who gave the record its title. But most of all, it’s a powerful protest album from start to finish, whose force is only heightened by the result of this past Election Day.

There’s a clear revolutionary thread running through the entire album, as it addresses racism, sexism, the media, police violence, and the need to resist. Trump needn’t have won the election for the album to feel essential. Living in America over the last few years has lain the country’s cultural sickness bare. But an empowered Donald Trump only makes the album’s message more potent.

SNL couldn't have booked a more appropriate host and band for this, the first show of Trump Year 1.

:sigh:

I don't know who will playing... President... Trump this week, if Baldwin will be back, or what. Ugh

Tonight's Vintage is still pretty recent, though not as fresh as the past couple eps. Jennifer Lawrence with The Lumineers, from January 19 2013.

Next week: Kristen Wiig with The xx.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there any chance they could play Dead Pres when Chappelle comes out?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is a good opening.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The most :smith: cold open.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:gonk:

I'll keep fighting.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Codependent Poster posted:

This is a good opening.

Yeah, I think it's hard to play Trump for laughs this week when it's fresh stone cold reality.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Jesus gently caress. Chapelle's got a tall order to cheer us up after that open.

pwn
May 27, 2004

gently caress.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Jesus gently caress. Chapelle's got a tall order to cheer us up after that open.

I expect Chapelle to go full George Carlin.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chapelle looks really weird not being all skinny.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Yeah, the last thing I wanted to see before I went to bed was Kate McKinnon dressed as Hillary singing Hallelujah. Got me right in the feels.

And I will never get used to swole Dave Chappelle.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Killing it out the gate.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I didn't realize how much I missed this dude.

I take it from the last couple posts that it was a good cold open? Couldn't get this slow rear end HTPC to boot up in time to catch it.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

raditts posted:

I take it from the last couple posts that it was a good cold open? Couldn't get this slow rear end HTPC to boot up in time to catch it.

Kate McKinnon singing Hallelujah dressed as Hillary.

nowthatyouasked
Oct 30, 2016

raditts posted:

It was Kate McKinnon dressed as Hillary Clinton, playing piano (pretty sure she was actually playing?) and singing Hallelujah in a tribute to Leonard Cohen who wrote that song and died this week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I want this episode to just be an hour and a half of Chappelle standup.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

raditts posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion Lorne disagrees

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

raditts posted:

this

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Chappelle's Obama is spot on

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

nowthatyouasked posted:

It was Kate McKinnon dressed as Hillary Clinton, playing piano (pretty sure she was actually playing?) and singing Hallelujah in a tribute to Leonard Cohen who wrote that song and died this week.

I'm assuming it was powerful friggin' stuff, my dad came in the room nearly in tears after it and I'm not gonna lie, I've never seen my dad cry, ever, same with my sister.

nowthatyouasked
Oct 30, 2016

TARDISman posted:

I'm assuming it was powerful friggin' stuff, my dad came in the room nearly in tears after it and I'm not gonna lie, I've never seen my dad cry, ever, same with my sister.

I'd say she did a drat good job and followed it up with a nice comment which I already forgot, but it made me tear up also.

EDIT: It's online already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdZzOQcZeE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TARDISman posted:

She's not the best singer, but she did fine.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Chappelle is a goddamn genius.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

CannedMacabre posted:

Someone should give this guy a show or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CannedMacabre posted:

That was easily the best thing that has been on SNL in years.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I'm not sure how or why it fell to Dave Chappelle to make some sense out of the past few days, but I'm glad it did.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

My reception got wonky. What did Chappelle say at the very end, something about "he owes us that"?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hillary postmortem coming up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZDar Fan posted:

My reception got wonky. What did Chappelle say at the very end, something about "he owes us that"?

"I'm going to give him a chance, and the historically disenfranchised demand he gives us one too", yea.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So will Hammond go back to being Trump now?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

ZDar Fan posted:

"...I'll give Trump a chance. And as one of the historically disenfranchised, he owes us at least that." essentially.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
word?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chapelle is amazing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chris Rock outta nowhere!

CannedMacabre