Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.
Only got one that comes to mind at the moment:

Y'know how in the "electronic 3D virtual reality arcade game" DOOM, when you pick up a berserk pack, it seems to last until you go to the next level?

Turns out, if you were to pick up a berserk and leave the game running for about 3-4 days or so, it'll actually run out and your fist damage will go back to its puny, 1/4 of a man original value. I don't entirely remember why this is the case, but it has to do with the values of the pack not being able to last forever, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
The gently caress is this poo poo?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

You can crash Paper Mario if you hit the same block over and over again for 14 years

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Zelda is the princess.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
did anyone ever figure out what was up with that truck in red & blue

like what the devlepers were originally planning or whether it was just an easter egg or what. i know it doesn't do anything

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You can beat mario in half a presses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Zelda is the princess.

http://screenrant.com/legend-of-zelda-breath-wild-link-trivia/

"The Legend Of Zelda: 15 Things You Never Knew About Link"

15. LINK DEBUTED IN 1987’S THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Len posted:

http://screenrant.com/legend-of-zelda-breath-wild-link-trivia/

"The Legend Of Zelda: 15 Things You Never Knew About Link"

15. LINK DEBUTED IN 1987’S THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

12. LINK RARELY SPEAKS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Luigi looks a lot like Mario, but he wears green instead of red.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

70 percent of the enemies in the hit game "Kirby's Superstar" for the superfamicom system were based off of childhood doodles of series creator american mcgee

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the rather obscure game Darkstar One, everything within a game's sector is relatively close to each other. You can't fly to the nearby planet; the game will tell you that you're getting closer, but you never will.

However, the zone at the very end in which you fight the final boss, there's a distant asteroid belt that you actually can travel to. There's no reason to, if memory serves, it's just a different thing for no reason.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Sims 3 launched without a framerate limiter, causing several players' computers to melt because they were running the game too fast.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Luigi looks a lot like Mario, but he wears green instead of red.

Luigi's name comes from the Japanese word ruiji, which means similar.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

In Doom 64, none of the textures have colors. They're all gray scaled and they appear to have color due to the colored lighting that's shining on them.

MisterBibs posted:

In the rather obscure game Darkstar One, everything within a game's sector is relatively close to each other. You can't fly to the nearby planet; the game will tell you that you're getting closer, but you never will.

However, the zone at the very end in which you fight the final boss, there's a distant asteroid belt that you actually can travel to. There's no reason to, if memory serves, it's just a different thing for no reason.

So it's basically a prequel to No Man's Sky. :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PortalFreak posted:

So it's basically a prequel to No Man's Sky. :v:

I (admittedly) wasn't clear. There's a reason to go there (mining ore from asteroid fields), but if memory serves me, the ore isn't special or unique compared to where you could otherwise get it. It's just a nifty reward for doing something you've been unofficially trained to not do.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

I (admittedly) wasn't clear. There's a reason to go there (mining ore from asteroid fields), but if memory serves me, the ore isn't special or unique compared to where you could otherwise get it. It's just a nifty reward for doing something you've been unofficially trained to not do.

For the record, I was joking, but that is pretty interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is the difference between Pacman and Ms Pacman, really?

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is the difference between Pacman and Ms Pacman, really?

Y'know how Toru Iwatani got the inspiration for Pacman from a pizza with a missing slice?

Well, he also got the idea of Ms. Pacman from a pizza with TWO missing slices. The second slice being on the bottom. :smug:

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
The average seamen content of a Xbox One is 27%.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

The average seamen content of a Xbox One is 27%.

I think you mean Dreamcast.

:coolfish:

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I think you mean Dreamcast.

:coolfish:

yea, cus everyone knows the xbox ones fulla poo poo :smug:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually Doki Doki Panic in Japan

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually Doki Doki Panic in Japan

Yoshi was originally supposed to be the third Mario Brother but Satoru Iyazaki shot the idea down because he didn't want mario riding on his brother

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Maria in Silent Hill 2's outfit was based on Christina Aguilera's outfit at the 1999 Teen Choice Awards.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The ghosts in Pac-Man all have unique characteristics - they're not all clones of each other and behave wildly differently. The red guy will chase you like an rear end in a top hat, the orange guy tries to play "I'm-not-touching-you" by coming close and then fleeing back to his corner, the pink ghost aims in front of the player (or off on a diagonal to the left, due to a glitch in its code), and the blue one does some weird poo poo where it basically always tries to be further from Pac-Man than red is but otherwise continues chasing the player in the same way.

The intro screen to Pac-Man (or maybe it's the interstitial screen between levels, I don't remember where it happens) where Pac-Man is chased off screen by the ghosts and then comes back huge and eats them is considered the first "cutscene" in a video game.

There's a safe spot in the original arcade machine version where, assuming certain conditions about the board state are met, a player can just sit indefinitely and the ghosts will never catch them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well you see, Ms Pac-Man has a bow on her head.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Little known fact on these forums, you can buy any video game console that is being produced right now and probably have a good time playing video games with it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Little known fact on these forums, you can buy any video game console that is being produced right now and probably have a good time playing video games with it

That's it? Get right out of town!

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I don't think you should joke about things like that.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Maria in Silent Hill 2's outfit was based on Christina Aguilera's outfit at the 1999 Teen Choice Awards.

The town in Silent Hill 1 is a reproduction of the town in Kindergarten Cop.

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23649

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

The screams in the Golden Axe games are just sampled for movies like Rambo and Conan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6C69ZvW-w

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't the real Super Mario Bros. 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Super Mario is named for the landlord of Nintendo's headquarters, Thomas Super.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Japan, Super Mario Bros. 2 is called Super Mario Bros. 3. The game we know as Super Mario Bros. 3 is, in fact, Final Fantasy 6.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Man's nemesis is not named Dr. Wily. That's a mistranslation from the late 80s. His name is Dr. Wiry, because he is very thin.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Despite his name, Donkey King is not the king of the apes. He is simply very large.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Video games aren't actually played on a video recorder.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Video game enthusiasts are actually not as funny as they perceive themselves.

If you read the whole thread you would know that by now, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The in-game timer in Final Fantasy VII seems like it stops going up at 99:99:99 and just stays there forever, but if you keep playing the same file for 136 years, 36 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes, and 16 seconds it will roll back over to 00:00:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c91LJT4emU

• Locked thread