Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Kurieg posted:

DRY DRY DRY!!!

Heroes never dry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm guessing all the cool ME races will be in this. Those without their own arks will surely at least have stowaways or small groups of volunteers/diplomats going along.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
exclusive footage of the Batarian ark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXi2jE-Dxdw

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bringing in the Dragon Age guys might at least do the characters a lot of good, and gives me a bit of hope for Peebee. Remember in the Inquisition announcements where they said that Cassandra was a romantic at heart? Turns out that was true, but she is still an amazing character. ("Nothing should happen to her! She was falsely accused!") Same deal with Dorian, who was described as "dashing", but was actually pretty good as well. Not to mention that the overarching antagonist of Inquisition and Trespasser might just be the best antagonist that Bioware ever created (even before the Arishok, Jade Empire's villain, and Sovereign). So I'm just hoping that they bring some of the good things from the Dragon Age games over to Andromeda.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Torrannor posted:

So I'm just hoping that they bring some of the good things from the Dragon Age games over to Andromeda.

If you had told me in 2011 that I would one day be hoping they would bring the good things from Dragon Age over to a Mass Effect game, I would have called you an idiot hell fucker.

And yet here we are. :smith:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Torrannor posted:

Bringing in the Dragon Age guys might at least do the characters a lot of good, and gives me a bit of hope for Peebee. Remember in the Inquisition announcements where they said that Cassandra was a romantic at heart? Turns out that was true, but she is still an amazing character. ("Nothing should happen to her! She was falsely accused!") Same deal with Dorian, who was described as "dashing", but was actually pretty good as well. Not to mention that the overarching antagonist of Inquisition and Trespasser might just be the best antagonist that Bioware ever created (even before the Arishok, Jade Empire's villain, and Sovereign). So I'm just hoping that they bring some of the good things from the Dragon Age games over to Andromeda.

On the other hand, Sera is by far the worst character in any Bioware game. Yes, worse than Merrill

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

Is it uncool to say DA:I was actually a generally good game? (albiet with too many gather the random resources time wasters)

I liked it. gently caress 'em.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Is it uncool to say DA:I was actually a generally good game? (albiet with too many gather the random resources time wasters)

I liked it. gently caress 'em.

DA:I felt like the first Mass Effect in a lot of ways, in that it was cool but had a lot of rough edges that needed rounding off.

The NPCs were, for the most part, one of the high points.

peer posted:

On the other hand, Sera is by far the worst character in any Bioware game. Yes, worse than Merrill

Every Bioware RPG has at least one total dub of an NPCs. Ever game gotta have its Jacob.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Every Bioware RPG has at least one total dub of an NPCs. Ever game gotta have its Jacob.

If Jacob didn't have a terrible skillset in ME2 I swear he would have seen more use. But when you recruit a Krogan shotgunner in the first act... well, yeah. Chalk that up to a design failing because Grunt was better in every way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

DA:I felt like the first Mass Effect in a lot of ways, in that it was cool but had a lot of rough edges that needed rounding off.

Jacob was just under used. Sera was actively terrible, but at least you could have zero interaction with her.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Jacob was just under used. Sera was actively terrible, but at least you could have zero interaction with her.

I like that Sera is the only NPC with a dialogue option to kick her out at literally any point in the game. It's a nice tacit admission from the developers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I must admit, the trailer didn't do much for me. I can't quite pin down why, but I suppose it's just... lacking in personality?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Volus confirmed! :shepface:

Blasto the Hanar Pathfinder or GTFO.

peer posted:

But, like, on purpose. Yes, I know that's a common apologist argument, but you could explicitly kick her annoying rear end out at any point.

And after listening to all her banter on Youtube she kinda sorta grew on me a bit.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

the good fax machine posted:

So just a trailer, and a release date for a novel? Didn't they say they'd have more than just a trailer? Who the gently caress reads Mass Effect books

and a remote controlled Nomad. :byoscience:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Skippy McPants posted:

Jacob was just bland. Sera was really bad.

Megazver posted:

I must admit, the trailer didn't do much for me. I can't quite pin down why, but I suppose it's just... lacking in personality?

Partially that and I also don't think it tells us or shows us anything we don't already know.

When you compare it to the first few ME2 trailers, which showed all sorts of things - the Normandy attack, the Shepard was dead thing, the guy going out the window, heavy weapons, the derelict reaper, and even some stuff like Tali being a party member that they tried to keep secret...

This is just imagery we've already seen (ship explodes, guy breathing), a villain that feels like Saren, an Asari squad member, and a whole bunch of lines that feel like typical trailer talk.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Jacob was just bland. Sera was really bad.

Well, duds come in different flavors. I get what they were going with for Sera by choosing to make her a unlikable gobshite with few if any redeeming qualities, but with a background made her personality feel like an organic result of what she'd been through. But they went so far overboard that I could never really more than pity her.

Definitely a nadir for their character design.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Milky Moor posted:

Partially that and I also don't think it tells us or shows us anything we don't already know.

When you compare it to the first few ME2 trailers, which showed all sorts of things - the Normandy attack, the Shepard was dead thing, the guy going out the window, heavy weapons, the derelict reaper, and even some stuff like Tali being a party member that they tried to keep secret...

This is just imagery we've already seen (ship explodes, guy breathing), a villain that feels like Saren, an Asari squad member, and a whole bunch of lines that feel like typical trailer talk.

Comparing it to the ME2 trailers that built on the very solid foundation and the mystery of the Reapers is hardly fair. Due to the "reset", there are no real unresolved mysteries that they can hint at being covered in Andromeda.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Easy way to make Sera better: remove her annoying laugh. Then again as people said that may have been the point.

Made a pretty good archer which at the end of the day is all that really matters.

In a few months we can speculate who the dud character of ME4 will be. I just hope we have a Geth romance option.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Okay so we're going to get boning down with:

- The wacky and fun PeeBee blue space waifu
- Your bisexual second in command, very unprofessional
- Let's say, your science or medical officer
- Someone from an as-yet unseen species which has hot waifus
- A Turian or other less-humanlike species
- An AI in a sexy waifu body
- A DLC-added alien character who is weird and gross, like Zaeed

These are my predictions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't be silly.

The AI Waifu will also be DLC.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zaeed Massani was a glorious hammy over-the-top motherfucker with loving fantastic disruptor rounds, filthy heathens

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skellybones posted:

Okay so we're going to get boning down with:

- The wacky and fun PeeBee blue space waifu
- Your bisexual second in command, very unprofessional
- Let's say, your science or medical officer
- Someone from an as-yet unseen species which has hot waifus
- A Turian or other less-humanlike species
- An AI in a sexy waifu body
- A DLC-added alien character who is weird and gross, like Zaeed

These are my predictions.

You forgot the hunky gay Krogan!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Game Informer posted:

It should come as no surprise that you can customize the appearance of your Ryder. "There are definitely more customization options than there were in the trilogy," says producer Mike Gamble. However, you can also use those tools to modify the other members of the Ryder family. "You can't customize them to the same degree as your main character, but if you want to you can customize both your dad and your sibling," says creative director Mac Walters. Want to ensure that there's a family resemblance? Want to be the black sheep? Go for it - or just accept the default options if you're not interested in that degree of manipulation.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 8, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

Also probably DLC. I think we have the skeleton framework of a season pass going though!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Torrannor posted:

Thankyou.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So, four ark ships... what are the odds of them being the McGuffins?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Baron von der Loon posted:

So, four ark ships... what are the odds of them being the McGuffins?

One of the novels next year is called Mass Effect: Lost Ark so ... yeah

Interestingly, another is called Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising. And now we know what Nexus is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ryders of the Lost Ark!

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is the multiplayer beta console only?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Seems that way.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Torrannor posted:

Comparing it to the ME2 trailers that built on the very solid foundation and the mystery of the Reapers is hardly fair. Due to the "reset", there are no real unresolved mysteries that they can hint at being covered in Andromeda.

I think it's pretty fair to compare the first major trailer of the second game in the series to the first major trailer of the fourth (I'm not talking about ME2's phenominal Launch trailer, which would be unfair). They shouldn't need to delve into any unresolved mysteries - indeed, the first ME2 E3 trailer didn't even mention the Reapers! - but it should show us more than what we already know about Andromeda. There was nothing in the Andromeda trailer that made me sit up and take notice because it felt like a mash-up of things that have come before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rumor going around is that Liam is the guy in the middle of this picture:

with the assumption that the other two are the Ryder twins.

If that's the case, this is also probably him:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am disappointed that you can only be a human again. I was really hoping for Mass Effect 4 to allow you to play as one off the other alien races. I am still really excited for Andromeda, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty lame that we are traveling to another galaxy and we are still apparently only interacting with races we already know.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marshmallow creep posted:

Rumor going around is that Liam is the guy in the middle of this picture:

with the assumption that the other two are the Ryder twins.

If that's the case, this is also probably him:

My Ryder would do him.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
Dinosaur Gum

:smug:

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 8, 2016

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I am disappointed that you can only be a human again. I was really hoping for Mass Effect 4 to allow you to play as one off the other alien races. I am still really excited for Andromeda, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty lame that we are traveling to another galaxy and we are still apparently only interacting with races we already know.

Yeah, same. Only human protagonists, and humans being the bestest at everything for no reason has always been one of the worst parts of mass effect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AriadneThread posted:

e: reaper cycle sounds like a very strange setting for your washing machine

ASSUMING DRYER CONTROL

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't hear the tuba sound of the reapers in the preview and I'm kinda upset that I won't know that the reapers are around if there's no farting

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Torrannor posted:

The Iron Varren

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should really tie the DA and ME games together by putting Iron Bull in. We know from Kasumi's loyalty mission that they take place in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thing about Sera that pissed me of the most is the scene where she blackmails an elf inquisitor into renouncing their religion if they want to stay in a relationship.

Even Cassandra and leliana are more understanding of your differences of belief. And Vivienne is an utter manipulative scumbag but at least she's honest about it and not a militant atheist lolrandom lesbian stereotype.