Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
drat, it has been a long time since I read those hasn't it :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

coyo7e posted:

but the real question I have is when do we get the flying sex scene

Forget that; when do they get to the flying sex scene with Sony Walkmans?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Or the last chapter that is a good bit and has Marvin in it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK... because of misplaced trust, a bunch of stuff happens.

The big bad guy has Dirk and Todd captured, on their knees, and at gunpoint. This is the point in any show like this where the big bad either starts monologuing, revealing his super-secret plan, making evil demands, or some combination of the three. Instead, he goes into a frenzy, asking a series of questions about why these people have been fiddling around in his plans to become the new Sovereign Soul or whatever, and it finally becomes clear that his entire story arc is wholly independent of Dirk and Todd's... except for the random points at which those arcs inexplicably became connected. Aaron is literally just minding his own business, doing his own thing. All he wants is to take over a cult, and he has no clue why these two people are seemingly accidentally messing up his plans by doing annoying things like stealing his dog and setting his house on fire. And being in two places at once and a bunch of other stuff.

That scene was so amazing. Almost as amazing as what happened when the holistic assassin finally had a conversation with Dirk. If you can call it that. I think Bart has a little cult of her own starting up.

I'm loving this show. It's a pity it's all about to end, but like someone mentioned, this show likes to dole out answers on a regular basis. I think that has allowed the plot to develop into the insanely complicated thing that it is. Many other shows would hold off on any answers, keeping it mysterious for the sake of being mysterious, and then dumping a bunch of 'splaining in the last few moments. This has been well paced.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

tarlibone posted:

That scene was so amazing. Almost as amazing as what happened when the holistic assassin finally had a conversation with Dirk. If you can call it that. I think Bart has a little cult of her own starting up.
Yeah, Lux's meltdown was beautiful. And I thought wounded Bart in the elevator was surprisingly affecting, something you don't generally get from the Remorseless Killer character. Both were great inversions of their respective tropes.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 27, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, Lux's meltdown was beautiful. And I thought wounded Bart in the elevator was surprisingly affecting, something you don't generally get from the Remorseless Killer character. Both were great inversions of their respective tropes.

I actually felt really bad for Bart. From the beginning of the sequence where she finds Dirk, through the chase scene, and then to her injury, Fiona Dourif puts on an amazing performance. You can really see that Bart's entire universe is shattering. The only thing that makes sense to her, the rock on which her entire bizarre existence is founded upon, has suddenly stopped working properly. It's like if you took a breath and all of the sudden, nitrogen and oxygen were poisonous to you.

She's not angry or frustrated that she couldn't kill Dirk, or that he seemed as charmed in his survival as she is when danger comes her way. She's confused at first, then deathly afraid. And Ken is going to help her, as that news report regarding the last guy Bart killed has pushed him over the edge.

I can't wait to see how this all wraps up. But making me sympathize with a chaotic assassin is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

every single encounter with dirk/todd and lux is gold

it's kind of incredible how well this show sells the bumbling incompetence and ignorance of the main characters loving everything up by effective 'coincidence'/'fate'

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I've had mixed feeling about this show as a whole, I mean I've been enjoying it enough to keep watching but I think the show is basically unwatchable unless you have a lot of patience for wacky British guys bumbling their way to inexplicable success.

But that last episode I thought was great. Bart vs Dirk was a great scene. Lux addressing his prisoners was a great scene. And just in general that episode did a great job of connecting together the different moving parts in a meaningful way when I worried they'd be stuck juggling them around with little/no payoff.

Tiggum posted:

The major difference is that Doctor Who acts like an idiot who has no idea what's going on, but is actually supposed to be a super-genius who knows everything. Dirk acts like an idiot who has no idea what's going on and actually that's not an act. I find that far less obnoxious.

I find the style of Dirk more obnoxious, but I guess it's a matter of taste.

A genius pretending to be an idiot still has to work for his victories and he can still suffer losses, just in the case Doctor Who those victories are based on moon logic (and most of the work takes place entirely within his head).
An idiot who the universe has decided to support can pull undeserved victories right out of his rear end with no idea what's going on and if left unchecked "the will of the universe" quickly becomes synonymous with "the will of the author".

So far Dirk isn't anywhere near as bad as The Doctor for being an infallible invincible protagonist, but I think the ground work is there that if they got lazy they could use the most horrifically contrived solutions to his problems. Dirk is trying to open a locked door, well it turns out he found the key earlier. Dirk is infected with a deadly virus, luckily enough he stumbled across the antidote just yesterday. Dirk has a gun waved in his face, it jams. Things like that haven't really happened in the show, but they have established a precedent for extremely unlikely random things working out in Dirk's favour so if contrived solutions did ramp up in frequency it wouldn't really change the 'rules' of the show.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Elite posted:

So far Dirk isn't anywhere near as bad as The Doctor for being an infallible invincible protagonist, but I think the ground work is there that if they got lazy they could use the most horrifically contrived solutions to his problems. Dirk is trying to open a locked door, well it turns out he found the key earlier. Dirk is infected with a deadly virus, luckily enough he stumbled across the antidote just yesterday. Dirk has a gun waved in his face, it jams. Things like that haven't really happened in the show, but they have established a precedent for extremely unlikely random things working out in Dirk's favour so if contrived solutions did ramp up in frequency it wouldn't really change the 'rules' of the show.

Well, that's Bart in a nutshell -- the thrown knife hits her hilt-first, she sways away from bullets without breathing hard, she escapes everything that comes at her -- until now. And they're demonstrating how horrifying that is when you're used to it and it suddenly disappears.

Both remind me a bit of Marvel's Longshot, who bends probability over his knee in his favor when his motives are pure, but still has to view the laws of physics and spacetime as at least working guidelines.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Elite posted:

the style of Dirk

He's become way more insufferable since I've Seen the Stephen Mangan version. Mangan's Dirk is a man moving through the world at the whim of the universe with no idea where he's going, but with total conviction that wherever he ends up will be exactly where he's supposed to be. In the American version Dirk's a twitchy nebbish perpetually on the brink of hysterics. Todd is already the Arthur Dent of the story, and there isn't really a need for Dirk to be a second one. I like the show, but I'd like it more if they'd just sold it as a quirky Sci-philosophy show and left the name Dirk Gently out of the script. It's what it'd feel like if they did a Six Million Dollar Man remake, but left out an actual bionic man.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 28, 2016

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Mangan's Dirk is a good 10-15 years older. This is more like The Adventures of Young Dirk Gently.

Also Bart is the best. :3:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

The big bad guy has Dirk and Todd captured, on their knees, and at gunpoint. That scene was so amazing.
Yeah, that was really good. Because Dirk and Todd expected to get some answers it made me expect them to get answers but what actually happened instead was much more in keeping with the rest of the show, so it managed to surprise me by doing something that shouldn't have been surprising.

Elite posted:

I think the secret to doing it well is to have the characters do things that make sense at the time but which also turn out to result in seemingly unrelated coincidences later. Like Farah calling the fake FBI guy leading to Dirk being captured at the same time that Todd was captured back at his house. All the pieces make sense individually and result in them ending up where they need to be without any apparent plan or coordination by anyone.

Frankenstyle posted:

I like the show, but I'd like it more if they'd just sold it as a quirky Sci-philosophy show and left the name Dirk Gently out of the script.
I don't think it gains anything by being called "Dirk Gently", because it's obviously very different to the books, but I don't think the Stephen Mangan was much like the books either, and it doesn't bother me when they use a name basically for marketing purposes like this. It doesn't actually harm the product in any way to have it share a name with some essentially unrelated books.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I don't think it gains anything by being called "Dirk Gently", because it's obviously very different to the books, but I don't think the Stephen Mangan was much like the books either, and it doesn't bother me when they use a name basically for marketing purposes like this. It doesn't actually harm the product in any way to have it share a name with some essentially unrelated books.

I think it works beautifully. Remember that HHGttG was different in every single version it was ever presented to us, from radio drama to book to video game to TV show to Movie. That is very Douglas Adams, he really wasn't that attached to a specific direct storyline. Instead we get beats of a character that match up roughly. And I think Landis has taken the 'Holistic' part of the name to the extreme, sure, with all of these plots being interconnected and separate and totally apart only not. We are getting the same basic beats though, in the first series/book: ghosts and time machines.

I like Todd as an Everyman a lot more than I liked either the book or the BBCUK versions of McDuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I was re-watching some scenes from the last episode and I just noticed something. Well I noticed it at first, but the following exchange was so amazing that I forgot about it.

Dirk runs up that spiral staircase in an effort to escape the maniac chasing him down and shooting at him. But, he reaches the top, and realizes that this staircase, for no apparent reason, simply ends. It doesn't lead to anywhere. It just goes up and then stops with a plexiglass wall. Dirk's reaction is very much in the vein of British humor: instead of freaking out and jumping, or immediately starting to work out an escape, he does what I hope I do if I'm ever in that situation.

He asks why. Why does that staircase end there? Why would anybody build such a staircase knowing that it would go up only to abruptly end for no reason? Why is that staircase?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I think it dovetails beautifully with the entire feeling of the show. Dirk Gently's world is one that presents seemingly arbitrary things that connect to one another in surprising and nonsensical ways. And sometimes that world does things just because it can and it feels like it. It's something that keeps the viewer on their toes.

If this show were Westworld, there would be a heavy-handed metaphor about consciousness attached to the staircase, and viewers would be poring over the plexiglass at the end of it for possible reflections of things that could be used as clues to guess the plot.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I think the secret to doing it well is to have the characters do things that make sense at the time but which also turn out to result in seemingly unrelated coincidences later. Like Farah calling the fake FBI guy leading to Dirk being captured at the same time that Todd was captured back at his house. All the pieces make sense individually and result in them ending up where they need to be without any apparent plan or coordination by anyone.

I agree that characters making moment-to-moment decisions that individually make sense but happen to build into larger coincidences is a good way to make unlikely things seem more natural but I think there are other potential pitfalls to avoid too.

Characters being too self-aware about exploiting their charmed nature can quickly get very annoying. When Dirk is safe he's always saying that everything has meaning to it and the universe will provide, but when he's in danger he quickly forgets this and starts panicking. Sometimes his panicking can be annoying, but I think collected confidence would be even more annoying here because it would defuse the stakes. If Dirk gets in trouble then we as the audience know that things will almost certainly work out for him, but if the character knows that too then it destroys any sense of tension. Yeah Bart says that she can't be hurt and she can't be killed and manages to pull it off but that's because a) she isn't the main character, b) she's been proven horrifically wrong if she makes a mistake about her purpose.

Sudden random solutions also have to be interesting. If Dirk gets ambushed by goons that accidentally shoot each other for no reason, then that encounter feels dumb and pointless. If Dirk gets ambushed by goons and he manages to fend them off because he happens to have a kitten with him that can astrally project a hammerhead shark to defend itself, then although that's more nonsensical and arbitrary it's also more interesting to watch because things are definitely happening.

In general I think there are a lot of problems you have to be mindful of when a character is blessed by fate and good fortune, so it's a delicate thing to balance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elite posted:

Sudden random solutions also have to be interesting. If Dirk gets ambushed by goons that accidentally shoot each other for no reason, then that encounter feels dumb and pointless. If Dirk gets ambushed by goons and he manages to fend them off because he happens to have a kitten with him that can astrally project a hammerhead shark to defend itself, then although that's more nonsensical and arbitrary it's also more interesting to watch because things are definitely happening.

Also the kitten-shark had been set up well in advance. We didn't know the kitten was the shark, but we knew there was a shark in the hotel where the kitten was found and various people seem to think the kitten is important even if they don't know or didn't say why. It's pieces that were already in play coming together, not a random contrivance.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah. I didn't mean to sound like I was bitching about marketing as much as I did. And thinking about it I could how see a more stressed out Dirk could work just fine. I think my issue is more how the actor plays the character like a freaked out Sheldon from a hammy sitcom, while pretty much every other actor on the show is doing such a solid job playing their characters fairly straight.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Slamhound posted:

Keep in mind that Bart isn't necessarily a bad guy though, every person we've seen her kill on the show has been a Villain (guys robbing the convenience store, biker serial killer, rape-cave owner)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
For those of you who want to see what that rant looks like all written out...

Gordon/Lux: I've been waiting for you two for a long time.... What is going on? Who are you guys? Did Patrick Spring hire you? If not, then what are you? Are you detectives? No, because you're a... you're a bellhop, you were at the hotel! And you! You're who? What, the FBI? No? Then how does the FBI figure into this? Who shot Ned? How did you know that Farah Black was going to be in that apartment? I mean, what kind of crazy coincidence is that? Where's the kitten? And where's my dog? Why did you burn down my house? Who has my dog right now? Is it the police? Do the police have my dog? Who beat up Ed and Zed? Was it your guys? Other guys? How many different sets of guys are in this situation? How does Patrick Spring be in two places at the same time?

Dirk: Nahgh... nuts.

Todd: W-we... we don't... sorry, I guess... I, like, can answer four of those questions totally, if I'm being honest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

How many different sets of guys are in this situation?
This was probably the best line of the series.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This was probably the best line of the series.
Yeah, that killed me.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

tarlibone posted:

Gordon/Lux: I've been waiting for you two for a long time.... What is going on? Who are you guys? Did Patrick Spring hire you? If not, then what are you? Are you detectives? No, because you're a... you're a bellhop, you were at the hotel! And you! You're who? What, the FBI? No? Then how does the FBI figure into this? Who shot Ned? How did you know that Farah Black was going to be in that apartment? I mean, what kind of crazy coincidence is that? Where's the kitten? And where's my dog? Why did you burn down my house? Who has my dog right now? Is it the police? Do the police have my dog? Who beat up Ed and Zed? Was it your guys? Other guys? How many different sets of guys are in this situation? How does Patrick Spring be in two places at the same time?

Todd: W-we... we don't... sorry, I guess... I, like, can answer four of those questions totally, if I'm being honest.

This line was amazing but your avatar made me read it as Dr. Venture and that made it even better.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

RedneckwithGuns posted:

This line was amazing but your avatar made me read it as Dr. Venture and that made it even better.
God, that's perfect.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize that. Wow, that's pretty drat crazy! Rusty could pull that monologue off expertly. And, Monarch could say "Aw, Nuts" with Gary chiming in that he could answer four of those questions.

It also works if the Monarch asks the questions, Brock says "Nuts," and Doc says that he an answer four of those questions.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
We got a whole lot of answers tonight, including the answer to "Why did Rimmer ask how Patrick Spring could be in two places at the same time?"

My favorite line, probably, is... "I got it all right!?!""

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

We got a whole lot of answers tonight, including the answer to "Why did Rimmer ask how Patrick Spring could be in two places at the same time?"

My favorite line, probably, is... "I got it all right!?!""

I take back everything I said about Landis' writing, this is great.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I think this week's episode was the best one of the series.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the scene where dirk is giving really lovely cryptic clues that barely make sense for situation even when solved is such a perfect little wrap-up of his character

he's both less and more dumb than he appears simultaneously which is really fantastic

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

tarlibone posted:

Can you do the bridge scene too? This and that one had me in stitches.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

KilGrey posted:

Can you do the bridge scene too? This and that one had me in stitches.

It loses some impact in text because of the frequent changes in who is speaking, but...

DIRK: Is that the woman?
TODD: I don’t know her.
DIRK: But that is a woman.
TODD: What are you even talking about?
RIMMER: (to the woman) Get on your knees. (to DIRK and TODD) Give me the dog, or I kill her.
DIRK: Give us the her, or we’ll throw the dog off the bridge.
TODD: What?
DIRK: I’m bluffing. But, if he shoots her, throw the dog off the bridge.
RIMMER: Why did you attack us?
DIRK: We didn’t! How do you know who we are?
RIMMER: We don’t! Where’s the kitten?
TODD: What kitten?
DIRK: Who’s that woman?
RIMMER: You don’t know her?!
DIRK: Do you?!
RIMMER: Why did you burn my house down?
DIRK: I burnt your house down?!
TODD: Where’s Lydia?
RIMMER: She’s… not here. Bring me the dog!
DIRK: Why do you want it?
RIMMER: Why did you take it?!
TODD: We don’t know!
RIMMER: Why did you kill Patrick Spring?
TODD: We didn’t!
DIRK: Did you?
RIMMER: Just just… just bring me the dog!
TODD: What do we do?
DIRK: I-I don’t know.
RIMMER: I’ll kill her! I swear!
TODD: (steps forward) Let the woman go.
RIMMER: No, no, no, no, no, she stays with us.
TODD: That’s wasn’t the deal!
RIMMER: There’s no deal!!
DIRK: Oh poo poo, he’s right!
RIMMER: Bring me the dog!
(Todd walks to the side of the bridge, holding the dog over it.)
RIMMER: Whoa! What are you doing, what are you doing?
TODD: Let the woman go, or I drop it! Just let her go, now!
RIMMER: You are… poking the bear, my friend! We will burn the soul out of your body for all you’ve done to us!
TODD: What are you even talking about? What did we do to you?
RIMMER: Don’t drop my dog!
TODD: Let her go now, or I’ll drop it, I swear to God! Let her go!!
RIMMER: No, no no no no no….
FEMALE VOICE: No! Help me!
TODD: (screams)
RIMMER: (screams)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I've never seen a show that answered so many questions while creating SO many more, but godamn I love this show.

And the scenes with Lux exchanging rapid fire questions with Dirk and Todd are the very best.

I'm sad we only have one left. :(

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i started watching this today, it is amazing

e: Gorden sounds like Mr. Plinkett from Red Letter Media

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 6, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

RIMMER: Why did you attack us?
DIRK: We didn’t! How do you know who we are?
RIMMER: We don’t! Where’s the kitten?
TODD: What kitten?
DIRK: Who’s that woman?
RIMMER: You don’t know her?!
DIRK: Do you?!
RIMMER: Why did you burn my house down?
DIRK: I burnt your house down?!
TODD: Where’s Lydia?
RIMMER: She’s… not here. Bring me the dog!
DIRK: Why do you want it?
RIMMER: Why did you take it?!
TODD: We don’t know!
RIMMER: Why did you kill Patrick Spring?
TODD: We didn’t!
DIRK: Did you?
RIMMER: Just just… just bring me the dog!

This is so good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was a really good season of a tv show.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Poor Estevez :(

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

I look forward to next season

Jerkface posted:

Poor Estevez :(

he just wanted some answers!!!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I hope Estevez survived somehow, I like him.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Woebin posted:

I hope Estevez survived somehow, I like him.

prognosis: grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I feel kind of bad for those army guys who have "cornered" Bart.

• Locked thread