Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

rip estevez:,dying to the equivalent of a retarded puppy with a gun
glad this show's already gotten confirmed a second season. it's pretty, pretty good!

i'm surprised that it has no real presence here or anywhere considering that it seems to hit most of the fun pop-sci fi sweet spots super well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

I feel kind of bad for those army guys who have "cornered" Bart.

Her smile was nice to see. Things are about to start making sense to her again. I do love that they brought out a small army, complete with tank, to meet her. It'll only make their inevitable, Rube-Goldberg-Machine-like deaths that much more enjoyable. Hell, I loved everything about her in this episode, especially when she decided to go ahead and find out where those last two bullets go.

I'm also glad to see that Very Erectus, a.k.a. Lt. Dip Schitt, wasn't stupid like a fox. He is just stupid as a stupid. Stupid is as he does. He's not so dumb he's brilliant--he's so dumb, he's ignert.

The best thing, though, is that they didn't draw out the important elements of this episode--getting Lydia back into her body and taking care of Rimmer. That was all taken care of, and those loose ends all tied up, by about the halfway point of the episode. That left more time for the end of the episode to develop.

Can't wait for next season.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The way they killed off Estevez upsets me. That really sucked.

I also think it is sort of a mistake. Even a tenuous connection to something like a law enforcement agency grounds the premise and/or characters, in my opinion. Even if the detectives were strange. Sure, Todd was introduced as sort of everyman, but he doesn't cut it anymore: he's no longer a skeptic and now he's got the -itis.

Based on how the season ended, I'm guessing poo poo's going to get really weird and will deal with the origins of the secret program Col. Riggins/Dirk/Bart/Rowdy 3 was a part of and their fight for survival from being killed.

I'm concerned that poo poo will just get too crazy and make it too strange to follow without some sort of characters that ground things, somewhat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Butts posted:

The way they killed off Estevez upsets me. That really sucked.
Yeah, that seemed unnecessary.

Doctor Butts posted:

Based on how the season ended, I'm guessing poo poo's going to get really weird and will deal with the origins of the secret program Col. Riggins/Dirk/Bart/Rowdy 3 was a part of and their fight for survival from being killed.

I'm concerned that poo poo will just get too crazy and make it too strange to follow without some sort of characters that ground things, somewhat.
I feel like the stuff about the secret programme was pretty extraneous this season and I'm not sure how well it's going to go to focus on that. And I was kind of hoping it would follow the books in making Dirk the only recurring character. Partly because I just don't like Todd much, partly because I think a lot of what made this season work was the fact that you had these people encountering Dirk and the other weirdos for the first time and not knowing how to handle or react to them.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Oh right, a thing I kept forgetting to mention during this season: is it just me or was the main villain channeling Mr. Plinkett voicewise?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Woebin posted:

Oh right, a thing I kept forgetting to mention during this season: is it just me or was the main villain channeling Mr. Plinkett voicewise?

Yes, everyone thought that. If someone didn't think that they were wrong about their thoughts.

Here's my short review of this show: I liked it.

If anyone's in production feel free to use that.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

One thing I never fully got was what was the deal with those bald minion types? Were they animals brought up to somewhat human intelligence cuz they now have a human brain? Were they just addled due to hippie drugs followed by a lot of soul-switching? Were they somehow manufactured by the machine?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

hangedman1984 posted:

One thing I never fully got was what was the deal with those bald minion types? Were they animals brought up to somewhat human intelligence cuz they now have a human brain? Were they just addled due to hippie drugs followed by a lot of soul-switching? Were they somehow manufactured by the machine?

There was a scene in the seventh (I think?) episode where Gordon was saying that they were left in animal bodies 'too long' and that it 'changes you'. Maybe the longer you're body swapped, the more you take on the characteristics of the person/thing you swapped with? Might also explain why the guy in the FBI body suddenly could talk more and more like someone with law enforcement training the longer he spoke to Farah.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

There was a scene in the seventh (I think?) episode where Gordon was saying that they were left in animal bodies 'too long' and that it 'changes you'. Maybe the longer you're body swapped, the more you take on the characteristics of the person/thing you swapped with? Might also explain why the guy in the FBI body suddenly could talk more and more like someone with law enforcement training the longer he spoke to Farah.
Also why Gordon had the weird speech impediment thing, but could talk normally when he really wanted to, I guess. And since he'd been Lux for so long, he kept aspects of being Lux that gradually faded away.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just binged through all 8 episodes, psyched for season 2.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
That's an interesting thing to think about... If you were to suddenly inhabit someone else's body and you tried to keep being yourself, you would eventually have to succumb to being this other person if you wanted to keep up the charade. Stretch that out over a few years or decades, and your former self would be like thinking about your younger self-- just memories of what is essentially a completely different person from who you are now.

If you kept jumping souls enough, and included animals in the mix, (and imagine having to learn to live as an actual, real animal-- just walking would be a whole new experience), I guess you'd be pretty warped by then.

Something the show didn't come right out and say but sort of hinted at was how much of the host's personality, memories, and what have you stays in the body and how much goes with the soul. It sure doesn't seem like it's a totally clean swap. Especially considering that the device was invented purely by accident.

I really like this incarnation of Dirk Gently. Someone posted the observation earlier, and I agree, that even though it differs wildly from all the versions and stories that came before, that in itself is very much in the Douglas Adams tradition of subtle-to-dramatic changes based on the medium the story is being told through. I saw a panel with Max Landis who went a step farther in saying (to paraphrase) that each version of a Douglas Adams story is told from a different observer. The books are told from Adams' perspective, and his account of the story may differ from what actually happened. The TV show is told from a different perspective or narrator, and is different in different ways.

He also said he didn't want to waste his time trying to BE Douglas Adams when writing this series, or to try and re-tell the original book stories, because they work best as books. This series is viewed as stories from the same universe, just told a different way and from a different "narrator's" perspective.

This is the mindset I watched this series with anyway, but it was nice to hear the writer himself, a huge Douglas Adams fan in his own right, confirm my interpretation of the story-telling approach. I can't wait for season 2, and what will likely be a whole new story arc. The writing is great, the casting is great, the acting is great. I am so on board for more Dirk Gently adventures.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i really enjoyed that really small detail of all the shown machine men eating like total garbage all the time because it will never affect them- primarily it's lux shown eating so it ties even further into the whole hedonistic aspect of his character

hangedman1984 posted:

it's more or less stated that they were animals for awhile, with the crossbow goon specifically stating that he didn't want to be human anymore at all.
not only being in an animal but having to live like an animal for years at a time probably would gently caress with your mannerisms and ability to speak quite a bit

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I love the bald guys because they're an awesome twist on something from the books. They literally are Electric Monks, just completely different Electric Monks who happen to have the same mannerisms and look as the Electric Monk from the book for entirely different reasons.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I spent the last day watching this and I'm still trying to figure out whether I like it or whether I'm just watching because I'm invested in figuring out where they're going with this.

And it wasn't that I disliked it or anything. I think my biggest problem with this show was when Rimmer kept changing his voice in some scenes. I couldn't figure out why he was doing it. Was it supposed to be Lux's voice? I didn't realize people could keep using other voices even after they switched bodies.

Or maybe it's one of those "you're overthinking it" things. Who knows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think my biggest problem with this show was when Rimmer kept changing his voice in some scenes. I couldn't figure out why he was doing it. Was it supposed to be Lux's voice? I didn't realize people could keep using other voices even after they switched bodies.
I think the weird voice he used most of the time was how the original owner of that body talked but if he concentrated he could force himself to talk normally.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I spent the last day watching this and I'm still trying to figure out whether I like it or whether I'm just watching because I'm invested in figuring out where they're going with this.

Sort of like Elijah Wood's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Victorkm posted:

Sort of like Elijah Wood's character.

He's the perfect audience insert.

• Locked thread