Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's absolutely nothing like the books, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I think my favourite bit so far was Bart's reaction to Ken knowing the song lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Quincyh posted:

I, too, like this show and am looking forward to learning more about this version of Dirk Gently. It's better than the version that came out from the BBC a few years back, though it is dramatically different from the books.

The Stephen Mangan one? I enjoyed that, although it also wasn't much like the books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It was originally a TARDIS. The first Dirk Gently book started out as a Doctor Who story that was never produced.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Eponymous posted:

I was going to question how since that time machine was burned out by the end of that book, but I guess they could sidestep that by having it be from, uh, "earlier"? Time travel tenses are complicated.

Well, this Dirk Gently is clearly not the same character as in the books, so it really doesn't matter what happened in the book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

And More posted:

The only thing that's not so great: Dirk comes off like a more obnoxious Matt Smith Doctor, and I don't like it.

The major difference is that Doctor Who acts like an idiot who has no idea what's going on, but is actually supposed to be a super-genius who knows everything. Dirk acts like an idiot who has no idea what's going on and actually that's not an act. I find that far less obnoxious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

The big bad guy has Dirk and Todd captured, on their knees, and at gunpoint. That scene was so amazing.
Yeah, that was really good. Because Dirk and Todd expected to get some answers it made me expect them to get answers but what actually happened instead was much more in keeping with the rest of the show, so it managed to surprise me by doing something that shouldn't have been surprising.

Elite posted:

So far Dirk isn't anywhere near as bad as The Doctor for being an infallible invincible protagonist, but I think the ground work is there that if they got lazy they could use the most horrifically contrived solutions to his problems. Dirk is trying to open a locked door, well it turns out he found the key earlier. Dirk is infected with a deadly virus, luckily enough he stumbled across the antidote just yesterday. Dirk has a gun waved in his face, it jams. Things like that haven't really happened in the show, but they have established a precedent for extremely unlikely random things working out in Dirk's favour so if contrived solutions did ramp up in frequency it wouldn't really change the 'rules' of the show.
I think the secret to doing it well is to have the characters do things that make sense at the time but which also turn out to result in seemingly unrelated coincidences later. Like Farah calling the fake FBI guy leading to Dirk being captured at the same time that Todd was captured back at his house. All the pieces make sense individually and result in them ending up where they need to be without any apparent plan or coordination by anyone.

Frankenstyle posted:

I like the show, but I'd like it more if they'd just sold it as a quirky Sci-philosophy show and left the name Dirk Gently out of the script.
I don't think it gains anything by being called "Dirk Gently", because it's obviously very different to the books, but I don't think the Stephen Mangan was much like the books either, and it doesn't bother me when they use a name basically for marketing purposes like this. It doesn't actually harm the product in any way to have it share a name with some essentially unrelated books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elite posted:

Sudden random solutions also have to be interesting. If Dirk gets ambushed by goons that accidentally shoot each other for no reason, then that encounter feels dumb and pointless. If Dirk gets ambushed by goons and he manages to fend them off because he happens to have a kitten with him that can astrally project a hammerhead shark to defend itself, then although that's more nonsensical and arbitrary it's also more interesting to watch because things are definitely happening.

Also the kitten-shark had been set up well in advance. We didn't know the kitten was the shark, but we knew there was a shark in the hotel where the kitten was found and various people seem to think the kitten is important even if they don't know or didn't say why. It's pieces that were already in play coming together, not a random contrivance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

How many different sets of guys are in this situation?
This was probably the best line of the series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

RIMMER: Why did you attack us?
DIRK: We didn’t! How do you know who we are?
RIMMER: We don’t! Where’s the kitten?
TODD: What kitten?
DIRK: Who’s that woman?
RIMMER: You don’t know her?!
DIRK: Do you?!
RIMMER: Why did you burn my house down?
DIRK: I burnt your house down?!
TODD: Where’s Lydia?
RIMMER: She’s… not here. Bring me the dog!
DIRK: Why do you want it?
RIMMER: Why did you take it?!
TODD: We don’t know!
RIMMER: Why did you kill Patrick Spring?
TODD: We didn’t!
DIRK: Did you?
RIMMER: Just just… just bring me the dog!

This is so good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

The way they killed off Estevez upsets me. That really sucked.
Yeah, that seemed unnecessary.

Doctor Butts posted:

Based on how the season ended, I'm guessing poo poo's going to get really weird and will deal with the origins of the secret program Col. Riggins/Dirk/Bart/Rowdy 3 was a part of and their fight for survival from being killed.

I'm concerned that poo poo will just get too crazy and make it too strange to follow without some sort of characters that ground things, somewhat.
I feel like the stuff about the secret programme was pretty extraneous this season and I'm not sure how well it's going to go to focus on that. And I was kind of hoping it would follow the books in making Dirk the only recurring character. Partly because I just don't like Todd much, partly because I think a lot of what made this season work was the fact that you had these people encountering Dirk and the other weirdos for the first time and not knowing how to handle or react to them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

There was a scene in the seventh (I think?) episode where Gordon was saying that they were left in animal bodies 'too long' and that it 'changes you'. Maybe the longer you're body swapped, the more you take on the characteristics of the person/thing you swapped with? Might also explain why the guy in the FBI body suddenly could talk more and more like someone with law enforcement training the longer he spoke to Farah.
Also why Gordon had the weird speech impediment thing, but could talk normally when he really wanted to, I guess. And since he'd been Lux for so long, he kept aspects of being Lux that gradually faded away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think my biggest problem with this show was when Rimmer kept changing his voice in some scenes. I couldn't figure out why he was doing it. Was it supposed to be Lux's voice? I didn't realize people could keep using other voices even after they switched bodies.
I think the weird voice he used most of the time was how the original owner of that body talked but if he concentrated he could force himself to talk normally.

• Locked thread