Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lt. Danger posted:

No, you dummies, I'm not talking about bad polling data or whatever, like if Clinton just had more accurate info she would have made the right choices. There were deep structural factors at play here, too many perhaps to be mitigated. You can't campaign-rally your way out of the insider/outsider narrative, or 1990s conservative talk radio, or end-of-history political complacency.

When you lose 6 million votes into thin air compared to the last presidential election for your party, you're a really bad candidate no matter how you spin it, yeah.

The polling thing is just weird to me, and maaaaaaybe because it was so close Clinton could have won a squeaker against a terrible opponent who lost 1.2 million votes compared to :mitt: if she wasn't totally clueless about what was happening.

But the big story has to be that Democratic base wanted nothing to do with her in a year when the Republicans were running someone historically terrible and scary as gently caress, and she had bottomless resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The big sin of Clinton's campaign was complacency. At some point they very clearly concluded that they had the whole thing in the bag, and therefore felt that they could ignore warning signs they had no business ignoring. And when you've convinced yourself that you've already won you're in the biggest danger of all, which is something that a supposedly professional and competent campaign staff should not have let happen.

Hell, this one chinese guy figured this poo poo out about two and a half milennia ago. It's not hard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Relating to Trump's ability to win women voters, despite his overt sexism. I read a short interview from a poor, white, working class female Trump voter who said that if she were ever in a room alone with him, she'd punch him in the face because she thinks he treats women like poo poo, but she still voted for him because Clinton offered her nothing economically, and he did.

That is incredibly anecdotal, but I imagine similar sentiment is shared by a lot of poor white women who did not enthusiastically vote for Trump.
So what you're saying is; American voters no longer vote according to who they could see themselves having a beer with?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

The big sin of Clinton's campaign was complacency. At some point they very clearly concluded that they had the whole thing in the bag, and therefore felt that they could ignore warning signs they had no business ignoring. And when you've convinced yourself that you've already won you're in the biggest danger of all, which is something that a supposedly professional and competent campaign staff should not have let happen.

Hell, this one chinese guy figured this poo poo out about two and a half milennia ago. It's not hard.

Dude they looked at the totality of the data and concluded what any reasonable person would have.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lt. Danger posted:

No, you dummies, I'm not talking about bad polling data or whatever, like if Clinton just had more accurate info she would have made the right choices. There were deep structural factors at play here, too many perhaps to be mitigated. You can't campaign-rally your way out of the insider/outsider narrative, or 1990s conservative talk radio, or end-of-history political complacency.

She lost MI by like 10k votes. There's no structural problem. If she was made aware by accurate polling numbers I'm sure she could have found the 10k votes somewhere.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

There was no reason for Michigan to be that close in the first place.

Rather, there were lots of reasons Michigan was that close, but the Democratic campaign didn't see or didn't want to see them (e.g. because even the promise of radical economic reform was off the table).

I think sean10mm is right that it was so close that one or two days could have turned the entire thing around - but why was it so close in the first place? National elections are chaotic systems, but they're not arbitrary.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lt. Danger posted:

There was no reason for Michigan to be that close in the first place.

Rather, there were lots of reasons Michigan was that close, but the Democratic campaign didn't see or didn't want to see them (e.g. because even the promise of radical economic reform was off the table).

I think sean10mm is right that it was so close that one or two days could have turned the entire thing around - but why was it so close in the first place? National elections are chaotic systems, but they're not arbitrary.

They were so close because she was doing all the wrong poo poo because she was flying blind. She had no idea what she was doing was wrong and no idea what she should be doing to correct it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think anyone is claiming that bad polling is the single reason she lost, just another one of the perfect storm of things that had to go wrong for her to lose.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Vladimir Putin posted:

They were so close because she was doing all the wrong poo poo because she was flying blind. She had no idea what she was doing was wrong and no idea what she should be doing to correct it.

Don't overstate things - her unfavorability was a huge problem, and that's a major part of what made things close. She lost for a bunch of reasons.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
its really disturbing/disappointing seeing all the people try to act like the election was just the result of some campaign mismanagement. hillary lost millions of democratic votes because they didn't show up. trump was historically bad, underperforming romney too. but those two things don't come from the same place.

its easy to see large segments of the republican base hating trump and refusing to vote for him, he's a transparent clown. but with hillary it was something else entirely. those six million votes didn't disappear because of poor campaign management. they evaporated because people didn't like her or what she was peddling or a combination of both.

i think this election very much was a referendum on neoliberal economics because the republican numbers line up with "slightly distasteful republican" while the democrat numbers line up with rejection of candidate and platform.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

RaySmuckles posted:

its really disturbing/disappointing seeing all the people try to act like the election was just the result of some campaign mismanagement. hillary lost millions of democratic votes because they didn't show up. trump was historically bad, underperforming romney too. but those two things don't come from the same place.

its easy to see large segments of the republican base hating trump and refusing to vote for him, he's a transparent clown. but with hillary it was something else entirely. those six million votes didn't disappear because of poor campaign management. they evaporated because people didn't like her or what she was peddling or a combination of both.

i think this election very much was a referendum on neoliberal economics because the republican numbers line up with "slightly distasteful republican" while the democrat numbers line up with rejection of candidate and platform.

The campaign problems maybe explain tens of thousands of votes going one way or the other in key areas. Like maybe a better campaign gets more votes in key counties in swings states by not wasting time in states or counties that are in the bag or are unwinnable.

However, she underperformed compared to Obama 2012 (a bad year for his presidency, remember!) by MILLIONS of votes. She lost like 5x as many Democrats as Trump lost Republicans vs. 2012. That's insane.

The real problem is orders of magnitude bigger than can be explained by "bad polling hurt Clinton's ability to make tactical decisions."

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think anyone is claiming that bad polling is the single reason she lost, just another one of the perfect storm of things that had to go wrong for her to lose.

There's also these "obvious signs" that 99.9999% of people missed but no one has bothered to explain.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I think I'm just a bit wary of that phrase "perfect storm". A Clinton loss wasn't unforeseeable. We knew Clinton had baggage, we knew she wasn't charismatic, we knew people were suffering under neoliberalism, we knew Wall Street was unpopular, etc. etc... we just assumed it wouldn't matter.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

The campaign problems maybe explain tens of thousands of votes going one way or the other in key areas. Like maybe a better campaign gets more votes in key counties in swings states by not wasting time in states or counties that are in the bag or are unwinnable.

However, she underperformed compared to Obama 2012 (a bad year for his presidency, remember!) by MILLIONS of votes. She lost like 5x as many Democrats as Trump lost Republicans vs. 2012. That's insane.

The real problem is orders of magnitude bigger than can be explained by "bad polling hurt Clinton's ability to make tactical decisions."

You can also choose policy positions based on polling data, and Clinton was exceedingly likely to do so.

She tried to be in the middle and attract voters from across the aisle. She should have run further to the left (where I think her real positions are on a number of things, BTW) because the other side was already lost in this election. But she had no reason to think that her platform was being rejected, in large part because of the polling data.

Lt. Danger posted:

I think I'm just a bit wary of that phrase "perfect storm". A Clinton loss wasn't unforeseeable. We knew Clinton had baggage, we knew she wasn't charismatic, we knew people were suffering under neoliberalism, we knew Wall Street was unpopular, etc. etc... we just assumed it wouldn't matter.

It's not an assumption if it's backed up by the data! The only assumption was that the data was good.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 10, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, she was underperforming for whatever reason (personality, baggage, etc) but didn't realize that due to the unexpectedly inaccurate polling. Had she known how she was actually doing in the key states, I think she could've pretty easily flipped them back with some campaigning and pandering, given how small the margins there were.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lt. Danger posted:

it was her time. what else could possibly matter?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mastershakeman posted:

This isn't an accurate description of how Clinton treated the campaign at all.

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
It just baffles and saddens me that anyone with Democratic or left leanings could fail to appreciate that this election decided the fate of the supreme court. Even if you think both candidates are equally terrible on every other issue, that Clinton is uninspiring and uncharismatic and untrustowrthy and maddeningly centrist/neoliberal/status quo, you can't get off your butt to pull the lever for Roe v. Wade, against Citizen's United, against gerrymandering that locks in republican power? How do Democrats or leftists think their hypothetical ideal candidate is ever gonna get poo poo done, even if they get elected, with a hostile court? It's not like this issue wasn't made crystal clear by both candidates, how much more do you have to do to get that point across?

Sorry I have nothing substantive to say, I appreciate the stuff in this thread.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

America just wasn't ready for a Clinton president.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theflyingorc posted:

This isn't an accurate description of how Clinton treated the campaign at all.

Ah I'm sorry. The candidate notorious for taking positions based entirely on what polls said was doomed by those very polls failing her. They were her One Ring.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mastershakeman posted:

Ah I'm sorry. The candidate notorious for taking positions based entirely on what polls said was doomed by those very polls failing her. They were her One Ring.

Again, no. There's numerous things that were problems for her. I was just discussing one of them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Leading up to the election, everyone, Trump included, thought the question was whether Hillary would win, or win in a landslide.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I think she did her best. She gave several speeches with pneumonia that she could have missed and she collapsed at a ground zero ceremony.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lt. Danger posted:

Hmm, I somewhat agree, but at the same time the polls were what they were. Absent those you're more or less relying on intuition. Maybe the clear enthusiasm for Trump, for example, should have been more of a warning...but he actually underperformed Mitt Romney. It's also worth pointing out the way in which the polls wrong--the general election polls, and polls in many states, were fairly accurate as far as these things go; they ended up being catastrophically wrong in precisely the battleground states that Hillary needed to win.

I do agree that "perfect storm" is a bad way of looking at it. The above wouldn't have mattered if Hillary hadn't been such a weak candidate. gently caress, if she'd even been slightly better she might well have won, and if she'd been decent she would have run away. She didn't need anything close to Obama's '12 numbers to win.

That said, what I think people didn't pay enough attention to was how delicate her electoral math was (and to his credit Nate Silver talked about this a lot). She had to win PA, WI, MI, (or replace them with FL/NC which was clearly dicey the polls weren't wrong there). Obama in '12 had what seemed to be a narrow lead, but he was ahead all over the place--there would have to have been big errors everywhere for him not to win. This time, the errors were much more likely to be correlated, because PA, WI, and MI are somewhat similar demographically. The fact that pollsters relied on bad turnout assumptions for Democrats also hurt.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

It's not an assumption if it's backed up by the data! The only assumption was that the data was good.

I don't think you need polls to identify those and other factors in Clinton's defeat. Some factors you won't get an honest poll result on. Some factors aren't really quantifiable at all. How do you poll the fact that FPTP interacts badly with more than two parties? Why do you need a poll to tell you that Clinton doesn't have charisma (or for that matter, what 'charisma' actually means and how gender norms might play into that)?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
postmortem saying Trump camp thinks Comey delivered rust belt to them

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/796733051271282688

:lol:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

You can also choose policy positions based on polling data, and Clinton was exceedingly likely to do so.

She tried to be in the middle and attract voters from across the aisle. She should have run further to the left (where I think her real positions are on a number of things, BTW) because the other side was already lost in this election. But she had no reason to think that her platform was being rejected, in large part because of the polling data.

The problem is that if you go in for this strategy, you're liable to end up being viewed as an unprincipled and untrustworthy triangulating bullshitter.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Leading up to the election, everyone, Trump included, thought the question was whether Hillary would win, or win in a landslide.

Exactly. When you've convinced yourself that you've won already, you inevitably start making mistakes. See the Clinton campaign 2016.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Polling shouldn't be the first and last indication of popular opinion. Really, Occupy Wallstreet should have been the first red flag. Bernie the second, Brexit the third, and Trump's success over establishment republicans the last. At some point the democratic party became the party of corporate America and the financial sector instead of the poor and working classes, and when we were all bragging about how Hillary was outspending Trump 2:1 in every state, no one stopped to think about where that money was coming from and how hosed that is.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Squinty posted:

Polling shouldn't be the first and last indication of popular opinion. Really, Occupy Wallstreet should have been the first red flag. Bernie the second, Brexit the third, and Trump's success over establishment republicans the last. At some point the democratic party became the party of corporate America and the financial sector instead of the poor and working classes, and when we were all bragging about how Hillary was outspending Trump 2:1 in every state, no one stopped to think about where that money was coming from and how hosed that is.

No I don't agree. All those things you listed aren't even quantitative.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vladimir Putin posted:

Politics isn't quantitative for gently caress's sake.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Manifisto posted:

It just baffles and saddens me that anyone with Democratic or left leanings could fail to appreciate that this election decided the fate of the supreme court. Even if you think both candidates are equally terrible on every other issue, that Clinton is uninspiring and uncharismatic and untrustowrthy and maddeningly centrist/neoliberal/status quo, you can't get off your butt to pull the lever for Roe v. Wade, against Citizen's United, against gerrymandering that locks in republican power? How do Democrats or leftists think their hypothetical ideal candidate is ever gonna get poo poo done, even if they get elected, with a hostile court? It's not like this issue wasn't made crystal clear by both candidates, how much more do you have to do to get that point across?

Sorry I have nothing substantive to say, I appreciate the stuff in this thread.

Stack the court. It's an elitist institution working against the American people. Populism will return us to power and we will use it
To bend the right to our will.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

Politics isn't quantitative for gently caress's sake.

Well look. If you want to make a good decision you have to have the right information. The best information is quantitative. As in choice A is 50 and choice B is 20. Therefore I choose choice A since 50>20. Of course life is imperfect and those numbers may or may not be correct. But given the choice between decisions from numbers or things not quantitative I would always choose the numbers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Exactly. When you've convinced yourself that you've won already, you inevitably start making mistakes. See the Clinton campaign 2016.

Alternate take: not enough time to undo damage from Comey letter

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Alternate take: not enough time to undo damage from Comey letter

It's not like the whole e-mail shitstorm was unknown to the Clinton campaign, you know? To assume that you've got the whole election in the bag with a potential problem like that still hanging around is just the kind of complacendy I'm talking about.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Well look. If you want to make a good decision you have to have the right information. The best information is quantitative. As in choice A is 50 and choice B is 20. Therefore I choose choice A since 50>20. Of course life is imperfect and those numbers may or may not be correct. But given the choice between decisions from numbers or things not quantitative I would always choose the numbers.

That is no reason to dismiss qualitative information, especially when said information gives you reason to suspect your quantitative information. Otherwise you'll gently caress up when somebody has hosed up the numbers.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
At a purely tactical level, the fact that Trump had one path to victory helped him; he knew which states he had to win, what demographics in those states he had to get to turn out, what messages they wanted to hear.

And he knew, and could arrange, what time a news story would need to be reported to sway that set of voters. At the end of the day, Hilary went into politics poor, and came out rich. All that was necessary was to make that the last message heard before the polls opened.

The wierd thing is the lack of impact of GOTV, ground game. Was that all misspent or misallocated? How can you not do better than polls if you are spending more actively raising turnout?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
If the Dems want to win another major campaign they have to A)Focus on economic, truly progressive economic issues that benefit EVERYONE instead of throwing bones at working and middle class families in the form of tax credits or adjusting college loan rates, rather than social issues, and B)stop playing identity politics and letting folks like Lena Dunham run around talking the extinction of entire groups of Americans with the Democratic seal of approval. That poo poo pisses people off and gives them no reason to vote for the Dems. The Culture Wars is hurting the Dems when they don't have a charismatic figure running at the top of the ticket.

The bigger question is what do the Dems do to win state elections and governments, because they currently only hold what, 10 governorships?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Vladimir Putin posted:

The Michigan primary is a quantitative as it gets. The polls didn't know what the gently caress was going on, African Americans were voting for Sanders with higher margins than anywhere else. It was a huge red flag, she lost both, and a lot of people didn't turn out the second time.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The bigger question is what do the Dems do to win state elections and governments, because they currently only hold what, 10 governorships?

Beg Howard Dean to come back. That is my strategy

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 11, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dmitri-9 posted:

Beg Howard Dean to come back. That is my strategy
There is no need to beg

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/796838538641833990

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

I messaged him on FB this morning so it must have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Obviously Russian hackers and voter fraud stole the election. Prove me wrong.

• Locked thread