Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Since the old thread is closed and the GBS thread is looking to be awful, I thought I'd start something here. Might add more later, but at the moment I'm a little broken up - his music helped me through a really dark time in my life and has meant a lot to me ever since.

:smith: :smith: :smith:

Here, have a record I listened to over and over and over again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

After The War fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
MY FIRST, MY ONE, MY ONLY LOVE

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm going to follow him into death and lead him out the other side

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 11, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love you prophet eliezer don't leave me

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
now he will make history and surprise and delight critics by releasing another excellent album from beyond the grave

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
And here was me thinking this was gonna be a good week.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Man, gently caress this week. And year. But this week especially.

I already started going through Cohen's albums from the beginning a few weeks ago just because I hadn't done so in a long time so that's covered. But I've also had Beautiful Losers sitting on my bookshelf for years and have never read it, so I think I need to get on with that too.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
beautiful losers is an absolutely terrible book but it's also oddly beautiful and hilarious in parts. honestly i think the big deciding factor about whether someone liked cohen or not was whether they shared his sense of humour. he was a seriously funny man despite his reputation and not afraid to laugh at himself, in fact he thought the whole concept of leonard cohen was the funniest thing in the world

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
“Well Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.

“And you know that I’ve always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.”

:smith:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Avshalom posted:

beautiful losers is an absolutely terrible book but it's also oddly beautiful and hilarious in parts. honestly i think the big deciding factor about whether someone liked cohen or not was whether they shared his sense of humour. he was a seriously funny man despite his reputation and not afraid to laugh at himself, in fact he thought the whole concept of leonard cohen was the funniest thing in the world

Hey, he had a song (or several) about that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6NB0BVX_0

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
With how much I've lived and loved through the musicians who have passed year, I think this here is who hits me the hardest. Not even a week ago when we had an after-"party" of playing mostly Leonard Cohen. A friend had passed, as we'd learned. Cancer's no fun, even for the young.

I did see him perform in 2010, Helsinki. I was young, not much past 20, but old enough to appreciate the humility and grace of his performance, as well as the virtuoso talent of his tour musicians. Certainly one of the best live shows I can say I've ever seen. I couldn't say enough about his poetry and music.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 11, 2016

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's a little corny, but I originally got into him via the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, which had The Future and Waiting for the Miracle. I fell in love with Waiting for the Miracle. It was unlike anything else I would have been listening to at the time but his voice, the song and the lyrics really hit me.

I bought the album The Future and it was all I knew of him for about six years until I got into my first serious relationship and the girl properly introduced me to his albums. Up until then I only knew his synthy stuff so the acoustic work was a shock. That relationship eventually broke up and Leonard Cohen is the only positive memory I have of those years. His darkest acoustic songs are my favorite and they've accompanied me through some rough times and each winter never fails to bring them into rotation.

One of my favorites: Avalanche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQe88ybEIe8

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe I've just been in media blackout the past week, but I'm surprised how under the radar his death has been.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
It hasn't exactly been a quiet time for news. Shame, though, yeah.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

me your dad posted:

It's a little corny, but I originally got into him via the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, which had The Future and Waiting for the Miracle. I fell in love with Waiting for the Miracle. It was unlike anything else I would have been listening to at the time but his voice, the song and the lyrics really hit me.

I bought the album The Future and it was all I knew of him for about six years until I got into my first serious relationship and the girl properly introduced me to his albums. Up until then I only knew his synthy stuff so the acoustic work was a shock. That relationship eventually broke up and Leonard Cohen is the only positive memory I have of those years. His darkest acoustic songs are my favorite and they've accompanied me through some rough times and each winter never fails to bring them into rotation.

One of my favorites: Avalanche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQe88ybEIe8

Waiting for the Miracle off of NBK was the gateway for me as well. I remember staying up all night with a friend, smoking and drinking terrible whiskey and playing that song over and over again. It took me a while to start to dig into his whole catalog, but the number of unique and amazing songs is incredible and at this point I couldn't pick a favorite, although Miracle would probably win for all the nostalgic moments over the years. I'm still not really a fan of the early folky stuff though.

We saw him live in Portland a few years ago and it was one of my all-time favorite shows.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'll love him forever forever forever

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i would chase his soul down a spiral of recursive universes

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
leonard i love you. i know you can hear me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
leonard you taught me how to live, how to love, how to worship and now how to die. i love you

• Locked thread