Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So if you have been on a news blackout because the fact the the USA just elected a fascist buffoon is too much for you to bear, you might want to consider tuning back in. Less than 24 hours after Trump won, there have been a shitload of protests all across the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/election-results-reaction-streets/index.html

quote:

"Not my President, not today," many across the nation yelled.
In cities from Boston to Los Angeles, thousands of demonstrators gathered Wednesday night in protest of election results that mean the billionaire real estate developer will be the next president.
One college student showed CNN a sign that said, "I still can't believe I have to protest for civil rights."

And it continued Thursday

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/11/10/not-my-president-thousand-protest-trump-in-rallies-across-the-u-s/

quote:

Nationwide demonstrations against the election of Donald Trump spilled into a second night Thursday with thousands of protesters surrounding his buildings in New York and Chicago and clashing with supporters of the president-elect in some areas.

Condemning Trump's litany of crude comments about women and his attacks on immigrants, demonstrators marched along city streets, blocked intersections, burned effigies and, in some places, gathered outside buildings bearing Trump's name.
MoveOn.org, a liberal group, had called on people to gather in cities nationwide. Ben Wikler, MoveOn's Washington director, said that people had registered to organize events in 275 cities and communities across the country, noting that many were candlelight vigils and group discussions rather than the sprawling marches seen in New York and Chicago.

“A lot of people reacted to the election results with a kind of plodding feeling, like they wanted to curl up under their desks or hide under their sheets,” Wikler said Thursday. “Just knowing that you're not alone in this country is a powerful salve. And knowing there are people that want to continue to fight for a more perfect union is a source of strength at a moment that can feel very scary.”
In Philadelphia, an estimated 1,000 protesters filled the streets chanting slogans such as “We reject the president-elect,” and “hands too small, can’t build a wall.”

I myself just got back from the Philly protest, it was really something. It seems like alot of people are taking the fear and despair that they felt after the election and are letting that spur them into action. I'm not saying this is the start of the Democrat Tea Party, hope being a lie and all that, but there is potential to shape the anger behind these protests into something more.

So use this thread to talk about your experiences at the protests, or talk about what these protests should turn into, or talk about how the protestors are whiny babies and you are Rudy Giuliani. And personally, if anyone still feels stuck in the grip of despair that followed this election, go to a protest. You'll feel better, or at least you'll get some exercise.

Also I am a total protest newbie so if anyone more experienced at this game wants to chime in please do.

Inspiration for thread title:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/796900183955095552

EDIT FOR FINDING PROTESTS: Search facebook for groups around you that organized protests already. Variants of "protest trump" and "gently caress Trump" seem fruitful. If you can't find anything happening today, message the people that were involved in previous protests to find out info.

Here's a trove of events from a search of "protest trump" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/events/?q=protest%20trump

EDIT THE SECOND: As is inevitable on the Debate Disco, many people have come to this thread to passionately express their opinions, and sometimes this results in rather pointed disagreements. I would like to ask everyone to always try to be constructive in their contributions, be it criticisms of the protests, or disagreements with other posters.

I'm sure some people will come to this thread for the sole purpose of threadshitting, but if you believe someone to be doing such, please report them and move on, or if you really want to argue with them, please utilize our lovely uspol thread located right next door. In short:

(Thanks Diogenis!)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

A big flaming stink posted:

Also I am a total protest newbie so if anyone more experienced at this game wants to chime in please do.

Someone will probably tell you that tear gas can be neutralized with a cloth soaked in vinegar, or milk or whatever the rumor mill says totally works these days. Best advice I ever got, buy a jar of Maalox (a cheap, over the counter anti-heartburn tonic) mix it with an equal amount of water and then pour it on your face whenever needed

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
And safety glasses/goggles. People are careless with their signs and catching the corner of some tagboard sign in your eye ruins your day fast.

And if rocks, rubber bullets, pepper spray, and broken glass start flying, you'll at least be able to see your way out of the crowd.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I would hope that people realize that sitting out and not doing poo poo can lead to really bad things like a trump presidency and I'm hoping that this action leads to a more concentrated movement among the left to no just sit on their asses and (maybe) vote every four years,

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/WillyFoReal/status/796935343656214528

Seems counterproductive...

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Don't block/destroy anything until 01/20.

Then chain yourselves to any federal buildings/facilities/etc. Have people documenting everything all the drat time. Periscope that poo poo.

Memorize escape routes.

Dawkinspeed, and Dawkins bless,

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Kshama Sawant called for a nation wide general strike to take place on inauguration day. I hope more and more people come around to this idea because striking is one of the most effective tools we have. Until then, rallies and marches to keep people engaged and organized. We had a rally locally last night at city hall and a planning meeting at a community library this sunday to start charting a course for action over the next few months. Solidarity.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I ask with sincerity, what are the anticipated and/or desired results of these actions? I understand what's motivating them, but what are the leaders/organizers/participants expecting to have happen? Agitation that pushes the electoral college to vote differently?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

Kshama Sawant called for a nation wide general strike to take place on inauguration day. I hope more and more people come around to this idea because striking is one of the most effective tools we have. Until then, rallies and marches to keep people engaged and organized. We had a rally locally last night at city hall and a planning meeting at a community library this sunday to start charting a course for action over the next few months. Solidarity.

I don't believe in a strike on inauguration day because a strike should be a powerful tool for demanding concessions, not just expressing anger. Protesting simply the idea of President Trump feels great but it doesn't accomplish anything specific. When people get ready to protest actions taken by the administration, they should be have specific demands and be prepared to keep going until they win.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

N. Senada posted:

I ask with sincerity, what are the anticipated and/or desired results of these actions? I understand what's motivating them, but what are the leaders/organizers/participants expecting to have happen? Agitation that pushes the electoral college to vote differently?

I don't know how to fix things, but I know I can protest. And I will.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here's how you fix things: You gently caress with their money.

When Indiana and North Carolina passed/tried to pass their heinous anti-gay stuff, no amount of protesting or media outcry was going to stop it. The only thing that had an impact was when businesses started to move out of the states or made other economic pressure. If you're not the owner of a giant corporation, then you'll have to find some other way to gently caress with their money.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The protests are are people venting, but more importantly its a chance to network and organize for the future. If one is happening near you, you should make an appearance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also never stop protesting. The leadership of the left have already started to roll over and give up. Your representatives will fail you. Our willingness to fight is all we have.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

its a chance to network and organize for the future. If one is happening near you, you should make an appearance.

That's a great point and I didn't think of it that way. I've sat on the sidelines but need to get more involved now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remember that protests will, increasingly over the next few years, be met with violence. Do not let this stop you. People will die, but more people will die if you do not protest.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Just chiming in to say even if protests accomplish no policy goals, they are a great way to communicate with your community.

Iv done several counter demonstrations against league of the South not because they are likely to realize the error of their ways but because we want our community to know that the people waving Confederate flags do not represent all of their neighboors.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

In case you guys aren't aware of the seriousness of the situation, Newt Gingrich want's to bring back the House of Un-American Activities, so be aware that the dangers are very real.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/politics/newt-gingrich-house-un-american-activities-committee/index.html

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Iv done several counter demonstrations against league of the South not because they are likely to realize the error of their ways but because we want our community to know that the people waving Confederate flags do not represent all of their neighboors.

This is so true. I'm going to the NYC march tomorrow not because I believe it will change anything, but because my stepsister's wife was attacked because she was brown and had curly hair (she's native Hawaiian) on a subway yesterday. People are legitimately frightened, and a show of "No. This is not OK" can actually help, can show people who feel alone that they're not.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember that protests will, increasingly over the next few years, be met with violence. Do not let this stop you. People will die, but more people will die if you do not protest.

This is going to be so true for BLM. That's not going to stop BLM protests but they are gonna need every warm body that will help them :smith:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

blue squares posted:

I don't believe in a strike on inauguration day because a strike should be a powerful tool for demanding concessions, not just expressing anger. Protesting simply the idea of President Trump feels great but it doesn't accomplish anything specific. When people get ready to protest actions taken by the administration, they should be have specific demands and be prepared to keep going until they win.

Fair enough, you might disagree with the idea of a strike on inauguration day specifically, but the tactic is still one that needs to be embraced by the left.

N. Senada posted:

We have to build organizational groups and coalitions that allow us to mobilize quickly within our communities to stop actions by the administration. Last night the rally held here was mainly just a way for people to sign up and get in touch with other like minded people so we can begin to plan and organize our opposition. We're a small town but we still had several hundred people show up with less than a days notice. If we keep that rolling we can put pressure on our local and state governments to try to curtail actions by the new administration.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also write letters to your reps about how you'll strongly disapprove about any cooperation with trump. Again, the bare minimum but at least it's getting something done

e: Anyway, I know of another protest happening tonight in Philadelphia that starts at City Hall at 6:30. Post protests happening in your area so that we can get our paychecks from Soros

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 11, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Anyone know if the protests in Austin are going to be continuing into a third night? Will be in the city and would like to be there for at least a bit.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

Anyone know if the protests in Austin are going to be continuing into a third night? Will be in the city and would like to be there for at least a bit.

It seems like the protests originated from the University of Texas, so your best bet is to try and search facebook/twitter in relation to that to see if anyone is talking about it

e: Protest Trump Austin Tx is a group on facebook thats doing something on sunday. Try messaging them if they are or they know of anything going down tonight

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 11, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This somehow feels like a Freeper thread except people here aren't too morbidly obese to actually go out rioting I'm scared :smith:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
If I wanted to join a local protest, how would I find one? Living in the SF Bay Area - the news says there are ongoing protests, but I can't find any sort of organizers or planning, which seems like it'd make them hard to join unless they march past my door.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

evilmiera posted:

This somehow feels like a Freeper thread except people here aren't too morbidly obese to actually go out rioting I'm scared :smith:

Go to a protest. Seriously, you don't even half to join in, just go and watch for a bit. Unless your name is trump or mike pence (or KKK) I don't think you'll feel threatened once you see it. (Unless you're in Oakland because Jesus those guys are hardcore)

PleasingFungus posted:

If I wanted to join a local protest, how would I find one? Living in the SF Bay Area - the news says there are ongoing protests, but I can't find any sort of organizers or planning, which seems like it'd make them hard to join unless they march past my door.

Check for local facebook groups. If you can't find anything for today, message the people who did protests yesterday.

e: Found this on facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/229810120765591/

Says it starts by Post and Powel (I dont live in SF so I have no idea where that is) and its hosted by gently caress Trump SF. Again, if you can't make it to that one, message the people involved and see if they can tell you about anything nearby you.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 11, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Check for local facebook groups. If you can't find anything for today, message the people who did protests yesterday.

e: Found this on facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/229810120765591/

Says it starts by Post and Powel (I dont live in SF so I have no idea where that is) and its hosted by gently caress Trump SF. Again, if you can't make it to that one, message the people involved and see if they can tell you about anything nearby you.

Thanks!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
NERDS ON PARADE

*ddzzhwowdzzhwowwowdzhh*

NERDS ON PARADE

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

evilmiera posted:

My BMI is 35 so I'm right on the edge of being morbidly obese.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PleasingFungus posted:

This poo poo can be really hard when you get started. I don't know anything about your area, but you can look for both actual protests on facebook or organization that regularly hosts or attends protests

e: beaten

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Does anyone know if there are international protests being arranged outside US diplomatic missions in other countries? I live about ten minutes walk from the US Consulate General, and I'd quite like to participate if so.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
I'll be protesting tomorrow night in San Antonio (FB link: https://www.facebook.com/events/680342092129743/)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

OWLS! posted:

NERDS ON PARADE

*ddzzhwowdzzhwowwowdzhh*

NERDS ON PARADE

Sir if you are not going to contribute positively to this discussion, I am going to have to ask you to at least put more effort into your trolling

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
I hope this grows into a momentum. A movement. Spread awareness on social media.

Give it some name. Start asking for donations.
Hell, crash the inauguration, like that's a hard thing to do.

And then when large donations start pouring in, start backstabbing each other like every other protesting activist group in the past twenty years.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pajser posted:

I hope this grows into a momentum. A movement. Spread awareness on social media.

Give it some name. Start asking for donations.
Hell, crash the inauguration, like that's a hard thing to do.

And then when large donations start pouring in, start backstabbing each other like every other protesting activist group in the past twenty years.

See Owls, this guy knows how to bury the lede. I will fully support taking the piss out of this thread in this manner.

But Pajser you should go to a protest if only to get more material to make fun of them. And maybe you can ironically participate and ironically support the cause and WHOOPS LOOKS LIKE YOURE A PART OF THE SOROS SQUAD NOW

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

If Trump's election turns the US anarcho-syndicalist I'm going to be equal parts amazed and infuriated.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

But Pajser you should go to a protest if only to get more material to make fun of them. And maybe you can ironically participate and ironically support the cause and WHOOPS LOOKS LIKE YOURE A PART OF THE SOROS SQUAD NOW

not as ironic as trying to stop a fascist AFTER he won the election.

because the election season was real quick, like two weeks tops.
nobody even who trump was a month ago, this took everyone completely by surprise

by january you will just another group of useful idiots and/or a vehicle for an insufferable twitter celebrity, until you finally reach obscurity.

half of all participants could be imprisoned and maybe tortured and the rest of the clever sing carriers wont give a single gently caress about them

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also never stop protesting. The leadership of the left have already started to roll over and give up. Your representatives will fail you. Our willingness to fight is all we have.

You should have done that before the election.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think Zizek is right. It would be better for the left if protesters stopped protesting and thought about what should actually be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

N. Senada posted:

No one knows yet if this is "all the stuff trump said is going to be things that he really tries to make happen" or "this is a regular lovely republican presidency" having a large and visible group of people is the sort of thing that will keep this towards the "it's a regular lovely republican" and away being too casual about the real from the nazi hitler "we need to ban muslims" and gay reeducation camp stuff.

• Locked thread