Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Nathilus posted:

Are there any more coming up? I'm finally coming out of shock and would be willing to join in now that the sa protesters have proven themselves to be peaceful and socially responsible. But I dont put my face in books or anything like that so I don't know whats up.

The organizers mentioned that there would be some during the week (I can't make those due to work) and encouraged people to go to the protests in Austin as well. I'm not sure of any specifics at the moment but I'll post links to any that I come across in this thread and Texas Politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

These protests will fizzle out. The same millennials who refused to vote because they feed on righteous indignation will get tired of this after a week.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Protesting is one thing, even if I'm skeptical of its effectiveness. But please, please don't engage in "direct action." You're just going to make life harder for small business owners and their employees who are trying to get by, possibly discredit yourselves (including the protestors who didn't burn anything down) in observers' eyes, and stand a somewhat elevated chance of gobbling lead from someone defending their livelihood. Don't do it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DeusExMachinima posted:

Protesting is one thing, even if I'm skeptical of its effectiveness. But please, please don't engage in "direct action." You're just going to make life harder for small business owners and their employees who are trying to get by, possibly discredit yourselves (including the protestors who didn't burn anything down) in observers' eyes, and stand a somewhat elevated chance of gobbling lead from someone defending their livelihood. Don't do it.

Those poor poor Trump voting small-business owners whose life became so much harder because their workforce is on strike to oppose Trump. Won't anyone think of the small business owners? :qq:

(Direct action includes non-violent means, and non-violent direct action for just and good causes is just and good.)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Asking for a friend: is a Molotov cocktail through the window of an unoccupied building violent or non violent?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

blue squares posted:

Asking for a friend: is a Molotov cocktail through the window of an unoccupied building violent or non violent?

Unfortunately fire is always bad

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Those poor poor Trump voting small-business owners whose life became so much harder because their workforce is on strike to oppose Trump. Won't anyone think of the small business owners? :qq:

(Direct action includes non-violent means, and non-violent direct action for just and good causes is just and good.)

I wasn't aware that businesses whose owners and every employee voted for Trump advertised that fact on the storefront. Almost as relieved as I am to know that fire can never spread.

Don't do it. Tossing a molly into a possibly occupied building can get you gunned down and the shooter will walk in the unlikely case charges are even brought.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

blue squares posted:

Can also get the person that started it charged with some degree of murder if a firefighter or anyone else dies due to the blaze. A firefighter shows up, has a heart attack even, the pyro gets charged. Assuming they find out who started it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Escalade things slowly until you get the federal government involved or police starts asking for OT they'll never get.

The end-game is when Trump voters turn on him because he's incapable of restoring order. But in the meantime they will hate you oh so very much.

Seriously folks this is like protesting 101. Some of you sound like you've never ever been teargassed once before!

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

These protests will fizzle out. The same millennials who refused to vote because they feed on righteous indignation will get tired of this after a week.

Everyone I talked to at both protests voted and people of all ages were in attendance. This isn't just a millenial thing. Try harder next time.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Hey, completely random question: What's the process in the US government for officially declaring a group a terrorist organization?

There's a protest planned in Toronto on November 19.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

Hey, completely random question: What's the process in the US government for officially declaring a group a terrorist organization?

There's no official designation AFAIK, and even if there were it doesn't matter much because the KKK gets to have all the marches they want. 1st amendment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ego-bot posted:

There isn't one beyond "we decided these people are terrorists" far as I know.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

I've been cataloging my thoughts about the recent protest events:

http://www.ajrosales.com/LA-Trump-protests-2016.htm

I'm entirely against the notion that many conservatives want to categorize them as "tantrums". They are unifying efforts of opposition.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I guess the Tea Party protests were just tantrums, too, huh

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So why are these protests so much worse in Portland than elsewhere apparently? I heard it's due to "anarchists"?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Is that not just how Portland rolls?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Marcus Peters way to make your Field Goal harder lol
edit: oops this post was supposed to go into the NFL game day thread

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
On Twitter last night, some self-promoting singer posted a video of Venezuelan protests tagged as if they took place in Los Angeles. Of course it went viral. Thousands of Venezuelans in Venezuela, holding Venezuelan colors and Venezuelan flags looks just like LA I guess.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

Small business owners are only very rarely better employers and generaly tend to act like petty tyrants because their employees have less recourse, they're not, on the whole, that much more deserving of respect than major CEOs.

Also I would surmise that a lot of the angriest are people who work for small businesses.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Escalade things slowly until you get the federal government involved or police starts asking for OT they'll never get.

The end-game is when Trump voters turn on him because he's incapable of restoring order. But in the meantime they will hate you oh so very much.

Seriously folks this is like protesting 101. Some of you sound like you've never ever been teargassed once before!

Also, the main worry with that is that it could lead to what happened in the 30s with the first serious electoral of the nazis came from the fact that germany looked like it was on the verge of civil war (admittedly the nazis had a lot to do with that but yeah).

I do sincerely worry more about people getting shot by both cops and fascist vigilantes than about loving tear gas (but then again my city is getting used to getting blanketed in Tear gas every may 1st)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

Small business owners are only very rarely better employers and generaly tend to act like petty tyrants because their employees have less recourse, they're not, on the whole, that much more deserving of respect than major CEOs.

Also I would surmise that a lot of the angriest are people who work for small businesses.

Finally, an edge sharp enough to end capitalism. Destroying someone's livelihood isn't justified just because you made a sweeping judgment based on someone else's wrongdoings. And if you think it does, understand that winding up to throw a molly into a building that someone's inside constitutes a grievous threat to life and limb and makes you a valid target. They're 100% justified in firing every bullet they have if that's what it takes to kill you and anyone participating in what you're doing. Hanging around after you threw it and/or generally doing anything besides immediately running the gently caress away will continue to make you a valid target because you've already demonstrated a willingness to try to kill them with a thrown incendiary device once, you may do it again.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

Finally, an edge sharp enough to end capitalism. Destroying someone's livelihood isn't justified just because you made a sweeping judgment based on someone else's wrongdoings. And if you think it does, understand that winding up to throw a molly into a building that someone's inside constitutes a grievous threat to life and limb and makes you a valid target. They're 100% justified in firing every bullet they have if that's what it takes to kill you and anyone participating in what you're doing. Hanging around after you threw it and/or generally doing anything besides immediately running the gently caress away will continue to make you a valid target because you've already demonstrated a willingness to try to kill them with a thrown incendiary device once, you may do it again.

You call that edge, I call that a position that's been the standard line about the petty bourgeoisie in communism since the 1850s and that small businesses have rarely given any reason to change. Small business owners, on the whole, are probably more likely to have voted Trump.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

My dad owns two small businesses and is not only the most leftist guy I know, but also treats his employees amazingly. How about you knock the ridiculous generalities and attempts to rationalize violence off for a little bit.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Save the molitovs for the National Guard, jeeze.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

You call that edge, I call that a position that's been the standard line about the petty bourgeoisie in communism since the 1850s and that small businesses have rarely given any reason to change. Small business owners, on the whole, are probably more likely to have voted Trump.

Congrats on your deader-than-dead ideology. If you throw flammable poo poo into an occupied building, you're the threat and they're in the right to kill you. And even if you don't care about my bougie conceptions of property, you should care about people's lives, so be aware that you can never be sure in many cases whether or not a building is empty.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

Congrats on your deader-than-dead ideology. If you throw flammable poo poo into an occupied building, you're the threat and they're in the right to kill you. And even if you don't care about my bougie conceptions of property, you should care about people's lives, so be aware that you can never be sure in many cases whether or not a building is empty.

"My" deader than dead ideology (I'm not a marxist) didn't just get owned as it proclaimed eternal victory forever and the end of history just at the beginning of a new fascist wave. You're not going to convince the angry to not be angry just because it's a small business in the way rather than a big one. Riots are what happens when popular anger needs an outlet and doesn't have one. And purely putting the blame on outside anarchists isn't going to make the people who are rioting give a gently caress.

Media will always find people to scapegoat, will always find reasons to claim a protest is violent, the moment it goes against what they want which is stability more than social progress. I've been in protests with 0 arrests and maybe one window broken that were either minimized or turned into ultra-violent shitshows in the media's descriptions of it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:lol: at people who think you can protest, or have any civil disobedience and have no one get hurt, no property get destroyed, no one's day get poo poo on. Non-violence is *not* about making sure no one gets hurt, Non-violence is about making sure that the ones doing the hurting are the oppressors.

Everytime I hear something so profoundly naive like "Oh wow, the protestors blocked the freeway, they must hate good press!", I die a little inside.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

"My" deader than dead ideology (I'm not a marxist) didn't just get owned as it proclaimed eternal victory forever and the end of history just at the beginning of a new fascist wave. You're not going to convince the angry to not be angry just because it's a small business in the way rather than a big one. Riots are what happens when popular anger needs an outlet and doesn't have one. And purely putting the blame on outside anarchists isn't going to make the people who are rioting give a gently caress.

Media will always find people to scapegoat, will always find reasons to claim a protest is violent, the moment it goes against what they want which is stability more than social progress. I've been in protests with 0 arrests and maybe one window broken that were either minimized or turned into ultra-violent shitshows in the media's descriptions of it.

Your original argument was that it's ok if small business locations get torched because their owners are probably Trump supporters, not whatever "incidental things happen" watered down bullshit you're trying to push now. Pick a loving stance and stick with it

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

You're not going to convince the angry to not be angry just because it's a small business in the way rather than a big one.

I imagine someone(s) inside picking off anyone lighting a molotov will do some convincing. There's a huge difference between lying down on the freeway and what we're talking about.

Also:

Aesop Poprock posted:

Your original argument was that it's ok if small business locations get torched because their owners are probably Trump supporters, not whatever "incidental things happen" watered down bullshit you're trying to push now. Pick a loving stance and stick with it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Until you came in the thread I didnt see anyone posting about burning down buildings, so I'm pretty sure you're just another gun nut who is obsessed with the idea of shooting someone and you're projecting your murderous fantasies onto this thread.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

DeusExMachinima posted:

This in response to someone suggesting that workers could go on strike

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

My dad owns two small businesses and is not only the most leftist guy I know, but also treats his employees amazingly. How about you knock the ridiculous generalities and attempts to rationalize violence off for a little bit.

Stop everything, this guy has a dad!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Stop everything, this guy has a dad!

Claiming you can do whatever you want because you assume the person whose livelihood you're harming voted for Trump is the dumbest thing imaginable and you're a terrible loving idiot if you think you can justify it

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Just finished meeting with some of the local iww branch. We shared our experiences and talked about leveraging anger to push workers' issues without throwing minorities under the bus, which has been a refreshing change of pace. I think there might be a protest going on a bit later, I'm not sure yet. I have burned down no buildings, for those counting.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

Claiming you can do whatever you want because you assume the person whose livelihood you're harming voted for Trump is the dumbest thing imaginable and you're a terrible loving idiot if you think you can justify it

Look, I'm glad your dad is "a good one" but on the whole as a broad cultural thing we put small business owners on a loving pedestal that most of them do not deserve anymore than any wall-street CEOs. My personal opinion on that doesn't even matter though because ultimately you're not going to be doing anything but ride on a high horse once the MSM falls in line and starts making sure not a single drat protest gets described as anything but an angry anarchistic bloodbath. Anarchists agitators are the liberal version of crisis actors.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

Look, I'm glad your dad is "a good one" but on the whole as a broad cultural thing we put small business owners on a loving pedestal that most of them do not deserve anymore than any wall-street CEOs. My personal opinion on that doesn't even matter though because ultimately you're not going to be doing anything but ride on a high horse once the MSM falls in line and starts making sure not a single drat protest gets described as anything but an angry anarchistic bloodbath. Anarchists agitators are the liberal version of crisis actors.

"Small business owners" as a talking point is a right wing media thing and you're beyond guilable if you bought their bullshit about them being majority conservative. Do you have any idea how many are immigrants, lgbtq, anti-corporate leftists? Yeah there's terrible mom and pop style stores out there but you're literally advocating that it's ok to destroy any property out of anger cause you're pissed off about politics. You're not even attempting to disguise it

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

Until you came in the thread I didnt see anyone posting about burning down buildings, so I'm pretty sure you're just another gun nut who is obsessed with the idea of shooting someone and you're projecting your murderous fantasies onto this thread.

It's true, it's true. As someone who thinks Trump will be terrible, it's not at all in my interest to encourage anti-Trump protesters to retain their credibility. I really just want to see DND posters gunned the gently caress down by a patriot equipped with a Daniel Defense Mk18 with a Surefire RC556 suppressor and Trijicon MRO electro-optical sight and and sweet Jesus HHHNNNNNGGGGG :newfap:

Agnosticnixie posted:

You don't seem to get it. "They're jerks!" or "They fired someone I know!" isn't a valid excuse for violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

You don't seem to get it. "They're jerks!" or "They fired someone I know!" isn't a valid excuse for violence.

Nobody is saying anything like that except for you, psychopath

• Locked thread