Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the winner is:
This poll is closed.
Magnus +2 or More 11 32.35%
Magnus +1 8 23.53%
Magnus in Tie-breaks 4 11.76%
Karjakin in Tie-breaks 0 0%
Karjakin +1 1 2.94%
Nuclear War 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Karjakin is essentially a robot who malfunctions briefly every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

yeah it's just not worth it to magnus to risk a loss in order to take the risk necessary to earn a win. i suspect he'll spend 5-10 more moves trying to engineer a situation that results in an advantage and if he doesn't find it, he'll offer draw.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Eric Hansen loves MMA

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Svidler's opinion of Hansen went from mensch to cro-magnon

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Karjakin has started thinking again. Did he spot something dangerous?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

draw agreed, but could have been agreed an hour ago

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A lot of people in my twitter feed were saying 0-1 Carlsen an hour ago.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

V for Vegas posted:

If they're not GMs, they're probably just parroting the computer eval.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

fwiw i said it was almost certainly a draw an hour and 15 min before draw was agreed so im not completely backsplaining this.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So why didn't black take fxg4 in move 45? The chessbase commentary doesn't even mention the variant.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Doctor Malaver posted:

So why didn't black take fxg4 in move 45? The chessbase commentary doesn't even mention the variant.

I think that white can just play Ne3, and then if black tries Kh5 then Bg3 creates a fortress. Black can't take the knight because the opposite coloured bishop endgame is simply drawn.

White's general plan throughout this is to deny black's king access to f5. So long as he holds that square, he can stop black from penetrating with the king.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Stream up. game just started

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

And we have a Giuco Piano. I wonder if this is going to be the newfangled strategy to transpose into a closed Spanish.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

How the organizers check for cheating? When the player is at the restroom his team can text his iWatch or some other small device. Do they frisk players?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Doctor Malaver posted:

How the organizers check for cheating? When the player is at the restroom his team can text his iWatch or some other small device. Do they frisk players?

An arbiter follows them whenever they leave the board.

If you're really curious, the entire rulebook this year is here:
https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/regulations_match_2016.pdf

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

FIDE posted:

The arbiter may require the player to allow his clothes, bags or other
items to be inspected, in private. The arbiter or a person authorised by
the arbiter shall inspect the player and shall be of the same gender as
the player. If a player refuses to cooperate with these obligations, the
arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9.

So they do frisk them. They are allowed to anyway.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

It only happens though if something is suspected or an allegation is made (such as Topalov/Danailov in the match with Kramnik). I doubt it is something to seriously worry about in a WC match.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why did Carlsen seemingly throw away his bishop? As you probably understand, I'm no chess master.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Xabi posted:

Why did Carlsen seemingly throw away his bishop? As you probably understand, I'm no chess master.

If he played Nxe4 instead, black had ...d5 to fork the knight and bishop, getting one of those anyway. By playing Bxf7 instead, he still ends up in the same position materially but leaves Karjakin's king a bit more exposed, and you can see the potential results of that from svidler and hansen's analysis.

E: Also, his isolated d pawn doesn't have to be on an open file this way.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Xabi posted:

It grabs back a pawn and allows the capture of the N on e4 while avoiding the d5 fork if you played Nxe4 instead.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Doctor Malaver posted:

Are they even allowed to bring electronic devices into the playing area?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Elyv and vyshka:
Ah, well, obviously. Thank you!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

gret posted:

Are they even allowed to bring electronic devices into the playing area?

No. They go through a security check 10 min before each game, including making sure no cell phones etc. are brought into the playing area.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

Likely cheater Borislav Ivanov, famously, was willing to strip everything except for his socks. He claimed that his feet smelled too bad for him to take off his socks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've mostly not paid attention to this game(or the others) because work. Is this the first time where Karjakin is ahead? Not winning necessarily, but ahead?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Elyv posted:

I've mostly not paid attention to this game(or the others) because work. Is this the first time where Karjakin is ahead? Not winning necessarily, but ahead?

It's certainly the best position he's had.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This game has gotten pretty wild in the stumble towards move 40. Were the players reversed I would be very confident about black's chances but here? Not as much.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is there a gentleman's agreement that you help each other get to move 40 and the extra time?

Also, what happens if you get over time? Does a ref come over and start toppling over your king?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

notaspy posted:

Also, what happens if you get over time? Does a ref come over and start toppling over your king?

Basically, yes. When the flag falls you lose instantly in almost all cases.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

notaspy posted:

Is there a gentleman's agreement that you help each other get to move 40 and the extra time?

There isn't a gentleman's agreement as such, but both players will play towards known, safe lines where they're super confident they're not missing anything. If only one player is in time trouble, the player who has a lot of time will probably specifically try to play complicated, unclear lines just to put pressure on the player in zeitnot.

And yes, if your time expires, the lead official will step in and end the game. If you are a mortal and in a tournament where every game does not have its own referee, then you have to claim the win yourself.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

questionable move 41. Kg2 for Carlsen, is this finally happening?!!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

And yes, if your time expires, the lead official will step in and end the game. If you are a mortal and in a tournament where every game does not have its own referee, then you have to claim the win yourself.

When I played in tournaments, I was under the impression that if your time ran out and the position is a draw no matter where the pieces are(say, K+B vs K), the game would still be declared a draw. Was that actually ever the case? It never came up for me

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Elyv posted:

When I played in tournaments, I was under the impression that if your time ran out and the position is a draw no matter where the pieces are(say, K+B vs K), the game would still be declared a draw. Was that actually ever the case? It never came up for me

The strict rule is that the player who still has time left has to be able to win "by normal means." What this means is not entirely clear, and is at times subject to interpretation. K+B v K is always a draw because it is not possible for there to be checkmate. I have had K+P+P and run out of time against K+B, and initially had the official award a win to K+B because it was possible for me to lose by helpmate. I've also had K+B+P called a draw against K+R+(oc)B+P because the pawn was blockaded.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder what the psychological effect on Carlsen would be if he lost this after two near wins.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Or the Russian fella giving it his all, just about holding on and now the master is about to beat him black and blue (I know nothing).

Should Carlsen pull back a bit and let Karjakin come to him? Karjakin is good at defending but is he good at attacking?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

notaspy posted:

Or the Russian fella giving it his all, just about holding on and now the master is about to beat him black and blue (I know nothing).

Should Carlsen pull back a bit and let Karjakin come to him? Karjakin is good at defending but is he good at attacking?

Let's not forget Carlsen is quite the defender himself. But in this match it's on him to get the first point. Karjakin would love to just draw every day, as getting to tiebreaks gets him a higher guaranteed cut of the purse :10bux: and he's a pretty good Rapid/Blitz player and may have a better chance at actually winning in tiebreaks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Karjakin didn't seem very good at attacking yesterday, but you still don't want to just let him attack. Hard to win off the back foot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Game 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What a sharp game that is now clearly a draw.

• Locked thread