Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The sequel to the MOST VISUALLY DOWNGRADED GAME OF ALL TIME is here on November 15th, 2016. Aiden Pearce has retired to his wife/sister's basement so now we are in control of a hip, agile black millennial named Marcus who lives in a city that might look something like its real world counterpart this time.

You can hack more stuff than W_D 1, like virtually everything that moves it looks like. And it has nicer graphics. And the dialogue and side characters are still awful. But hey open world AAA game, people are gonna buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh9x4NqW0Dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY3tRG5KFUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8CbXfKbZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNeE-1H2SC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8K6iuenCdA

http://i.imgur.com/s6JsTzk.gifv

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm gonna buy it. Because I hate money.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I pre-ordered it because i derive more pleasure from making preorders than actually playing the games when they come out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got it for $50 Cdn (ie $30 off) during a recent Walmart/Amazon price war and didn't hate wd1 so I'm in.

San Francisco is my fav American city too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I had fun with the first game and most of the side missions. It tied for Far Cry 3 for worst video game plot this generation, though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'll probably get this next month during the holiday sales since I found the first to be decent. I'm not expecting the plot to be a big improvement over the first though, the humour in promotional material so far is pure "how do you do, fellow kids?" and one of the developers saying the word lulzy out loud during an interview doesn't fill me with hope.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I'm keeping an eye on this one because Rock Paper Shotgun can't stop comparing it to the film Hackers, and if that's actually a good comparison then it's exactly the sort of tone I would want in a completely unrealistic hacking game about cool keyboard warriors fighting The Man.

The emphasis on the gadgets rather than gunplay and daft little things like the XP bar being "social media followers" make me vaguely hopeful they'll make an interesting videogame, but definitely going to wait for impressions after release because I don't fully trust Ubisoft to not foul it up into a generically boring cover shooter/map clearathon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GUI posted:

I'll probably get this next month during the holiday sales since I found the first to be decent. I'm not expecting the plot to be a big improvement over the first though, the humour in promotional material so far is pure "how do you do, fellow kids?" and one of the developers saying the word lulzy out loud during an interview doesn't fill me with hope.

been watching some of it on youtube(early copies) and it seems to be surprisingly less "memey" as i feared, there are nerdy/reference jokes(one conversation about star wars and stuff like that) but they are no where as cringy as poo poo like borderlands/sunset overdrive/big bang theory. plus the tone is a ton lighter then first game and most of your guns are stun guns.

Ripper Swarm posted:

I'm keeping an eye on this one because Rock Paper Shotgun can't stop comparing it to the film Hackers, and if that's actually a good comparison then it's exactly the sort of tone I would want in a completely unrealistic hacking game about cool keyboard warriors fighting The Man.

The emphasis on the gadgets rather than gunplay and daft little things like the XP bar being "social media followers" make me vaguely hopeful they'll make an interesting videogame, but definitely going to wait for impressions after release because I don't fully trust Ubisoft to not foul it up into a generically boring cover shooter/map clearathon.

yeah, it seems like it plays alot alot more like splinter cell(more environmental,gadgets mixed with gunplay, then just straight gunplay like 1) so i am hopeful.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looking pretty solid on PS4 Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mCSCjB0XU

No 4k viewing option on supposed 4k video of course.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

For a game with parkour as a selling point it's hilarious how terrible the animation is when your feet leave the ground.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Looking pretty solid on PS4 Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mCSCjB0XU

No 4k viewing option on supposed 4k video of course.
wow that framerate is choppy as gently caress

edit: looks ok in the city, approaching that hill with pines on it near the start I guess it was loading or something...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 13, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Qmass posted:

edit: looks ok in the city, approaching that hill with pines on it near the start I guess it was loading or something...

Way smoother than any other open world game on console besides maybe mgs v.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I pre-ordered this game because it was the only new fall game that let me invert both the x and y axis on my controller (with the exception of maybe Mafia III). I'm one one of those freaks that likes the invert option in Beyond Good and Evil.

I did like the first watch dogs, so long as I didn't do story missions. Hacking and player invasions were incredibly fun. I've heard the seamless multiplayer is not working as of now. Hopefully that will only effect co op because I am ready for more digital hide and go seek.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

They butchered San Francisco :gonk:

Part of the hype for me was seeing my neighborhood rendered in-game, but the Mission is gone, along with like half of the city. Also in-game Oakland doesn't even try to look like IRL Oakland. Sausalito is a more faithful reproduction. Not a huge deal but I'm a little disappointed.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Watch_Dogs was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I played three hours of that game and I do not see how anyone could play it to completion.

The level of mediocrity it reached was impressive, and for me the hacking thing got real tiring after like an hour

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I actually liked Watch_ Dogs but I got it for $10 and spent most of my time running around online.

Ripper Swarm posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 was a lot better than AC 1, so I'm hopeful but yeah I can't imagine paying for this without having seen it in the wild first.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I actually liked Watch_Dogs, but I don't know how I feel about this one, the E3 presentation left me feeling a little bleh. Thus I held off pre-ordering ( I like my GMG discounts, and I don't expect it to go on sale real cheap for a few months yet - unless it really bombs ). I've other, better games to be getting on with.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 14, 2016

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Apparently a bunch of people who pre-ordered in the UK got it on the 11th. Tried to wangle a copy from ASDA but the spotty teenager was adamant he wouldn't sell me one until midnight

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Embargo is over, here come the reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZSDkbjUhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzqCfjMnkRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2l5m9dbzz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VipCyLdHUfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaTQjaK5XAc

The big boys are taking their time I guess.

Only watched the first two and it already goes from "underwhelming, wait for a sale" to "best open world game I've ever played."

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 14, 2016

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Yeah, nah.

I'd hope that the PC version looks nicer, but watching the reviewers gush over the visuals as the low poly cars are driving through city with a sparse population, flat textures and just a real lack of fidelity. I'm not digging it at all, and that's not something I'm prone to saying.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Can I buy the main character's iconic cap yet?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The first game was so self-serious, dull in every aspect from mechanics to world and story. Even if the sequel has nowhere to go but up I don't have faith that the eye-catching changes will be meaningful. I'd love to be wrong. At least one outlet has already hit a game-breaking bug (not the end of the world in itself) that forced them to restart because the game doesn't allow manual saves or multiple save slots.

I also don't put any stock in YouTube reviews. Publishers love sending them early copies because they are notoriously pliable and eager to make games look good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this is getting great reviews so far but I have to wonder what even really makes this different from mafia 3 / gta / etc besides "you have a drone, can move or turn off things remotely, also san fran hacker joker pranksters." All the reviews I've read tell me really nothing exciting. If it wasn't sandwiched between Dishonored, Killing Floor, and Final Fantasy maybe I'd entertain renting it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Considering how badly the first game played on every level I will await proper post-release reviews before I even consider it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now that the Embargo is over, here is my summary of Watch_Dogs 2's plot:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Qmass posted:

There's apparently a bug that randomly kills the framerate when you're online. Ubi claims it'll be fixed by the official launch tomorrow.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, they sent out a warning last week that there's going to be a day one patch.

I'm only a couple of hours in, but I appreciate how it's a much more lighthearted game when compared to most of the open-world sub-genre, and especially when you look at its predecessor. Marcus has an actual personality rather than an anger disorder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, they sent out a warning last week that there's going to be a day one patch.

I'm only a couple of hours in, but I appreciate how it's a much more lighthearted game when compared to most of the open-world sub-genre, and especially when you look at its predecessor. Marcus has an actual personality rather than an anger disorder.

I think the genuinely weakest moments of the game are when it gets serious. For all that the humor and plot is extremely 'kids these days' it has its own personality when it's basically a bunch of nerds doing high-scale trolling in comparison to anything that unironically uses the phrase sheeple.

That said it's also a game where it feels goddamn weird if you kill anyone. Marcus is basically a good-natured dork who likes hacking which fits the 'sneak into a place and use drones' playstyle but feels extremely weird when he 3D prints a sniper rifle and shoots someone in the head.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You know, I was thinking that was going to be the case. I could've gone pretty lethal in the early missions if I'd decided to, and if I had, it would've caused some pretty significant dissonance with later scenes where Marcus is just geeking out on the couch. The San Francisco DedSec cell reminds me a lot of some Discordian groups I've heard of, in fact.

Is there a statistics page in this thing? I'm curious if the melee attacks are supposed to be fatal or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

You know, I was thinking that was going to be the case. I could've gone pretty lethal in the early missions if I'd decided to, and if I had, it would've caused some pretty significant dissonance with later scenes where Marcus is just geeking out on the couch. The San Francisco DedSec cell reminds me a lot of some Discordian groups I've heard of, in fact.

Is there a statistics page in this thing? I'm curious if the melee attacks are supposed to be fatal or not.

I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure they are counted as non-lethal. I'd have to check but I'm sure there's some kind of statistic sheet buried among the apps.

I tried to stay non-lethal but it's surprisingly difficult when enemies insist on shooting gas tanks right next to them. Also when I'm doing a sneaking mission and a drop-in online partner rolls and and blows everyone away but I'm pretty sure that one doesn't count against you.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ImpAtom posted:

That said it's also a game where it feels goddamn weird if you kill anyone. Marcus is basically a good-natured dork who likes hacking which fits the 'sneak into a place and use drones' playstyle but feels extremely weird when he 3D prints a sniper rifle and shoots someone in the head.

Unless you are playing as Trevor Phillips, it feels strange to go on rampages in a lot of open world games, especially if they state they don't like killing in plot missions, Niko from GTA 4 was like this.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it would've fit the character more from what I've seen if you only had non-lethal weapons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Melee attacks are non lethal apparently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Unless you are playing as Trevor Phillips, it feels strange to go on rampages in a lot of open world games, especially if they state they don't like killing in plot missions, Niko from GTA 4 was like this.

Oh yeah, it's weird in a lot of games, but Marcus is a bit more unusual in that he's not really a hardened criminal. I mean he is in that he's a 90s movie hacker who is fighting The Man but his default weapon is a stun gun and he never really comes across as the kind of guy who'd kill someone. Niko is a 'hard man doing hard things' kind of guy whereas Marcus gets into arguments over how many Xenomorphs it takes to fight a Predator and draws pictures of poop on billboards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, it's weird in a lot of games, but Marcus is a bit more unusual in that he's not really a hardened criminal. I mean he is in that he's a 90s movie hacker who is fighting The Man but his default weapon is a stun gun and he never really comes across as the kind of guy who'd kill someone. Niko is a 'hard man doing hard things' kind of guy whereas Marcus gets into arguments over how many Xenomorphs it takes to fight a Predator and draws pictures of poop on billboards.

I'll probably play it by ear. I'll probably be non lethal with security guards and cops but keep my opinions open with criminals and gangs.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

acksplode posted:

Also in-game Oakland doesn't even try to look like IRL Oakland. Sausalito is a more faithful reproduction. Not a huge deal but I'm a little disappointed.

they gave illinois mountains last time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

acksplode posted:

They butchered San Francisco :gonk:

Part of the hype for me was seeing my neighborhood rendered in-game, but the Mission is gone, along with like half of the city. Also in-game Oakland doesn't even try to look like IRL Oakland. Sausalito is a more faithful reproduction. Not a huge deal but I'm a little disappointed.

That's pretty :effort:. Looks like they're just trying to pretend Oakland is all the Port area?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'll probably pick this up on PC because I'm a total sucker for urban open world games, but yeah, not surprised to hear that the oh-so-cool hipster shtick is pretty grating.

Happy to let the console players beta test it first, though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

That's pretty :effort:. Looks like they're just trying to pretend Oakland is all the Port area?

I was staring at Google Maps last night trying to line things up, and I have no clue wtf they're trying to do. Seems like they just designed whatever city they want/need for gameplay and skinned it to look like downtown Oakland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they hacked the maps

• Locked thread