Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

What?
The internet is littered with dozens, if not hundreds, of lovely Free2Play MMOs. I (Olivia) and my co-LPer (Darcy) have always had a passion for discovering the what lows these games sink to in lack of effort, game design, and fun. We plan on playing and experiencing the best (but mostly worst) the web has to offer when it comes to MMOs, especially free and lovely ones.

Why?
I worry that both of us are gluttons for punishment. But, it's more likely that we love playing bad games together and wanted to share our journey with an audience.

What Will This LP Be Like?
Darcy and I will play a Free2Play MMO for a short while, recording our first impressions and our attempts to derive entertainment out of games that are designed to remove fun from your life. We'll likely not do more than 2 videos on a single game unless we're finding it fun or want to show off more a game has to offer. Not every game we play is guaranteed to be bad, but most of them probably will be.

Commentary is casual and "podcast-y", so be warned that if we play a game you like we most likely won't be paying attention as much as we should. Our primary goal is to pal around, have fun, and not take anything seriously.

I'm going to do my best to keep all videos between 15 and 30 minutes.

Uploads happen once every one to two weeks, give or take a couple of days.

Requests?
We ARE accepting requests! If you know of any Free2Play game we can both play together and want to see us try it, let us know! That being said, we have a sizable list of games so we won't run out if nobody requests anything.
UPDATE: As of 12/20/2016, requests are TEMPORARILY CLOSED.

Videos:

Episode 1 of 2
Episode 2 of 2

Episode 1 of ?
Episode 2 of ?

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 2
Episode 2 of 2

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 3
Episode 2 of 3
Episode 3 of 3

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 5
Episode 2 of 5
Episode 3 of 5

Episode 4 of 5
Episode 5 of 5

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 2
Episode 2 of 2

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 2
Episode 2 of 2

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 2
Episode 2 of 2

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 13
Episode 2 of 13
Episode 3 of 13
Episode 4 of 13
Episode 5 of 13
Episode 6 of 13
Episode 7 of 13
Episode 8 of 13
Episode 9 of 13
Episode 10 of 13
Episode 11 of 13
Episode 12 of 13
Episode 13 of 13

Episode 1 of 1

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6

Episode 1 of 1

Episode 1 of 1

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Meet Colonel Croak

He doesn't mess around.

Combat Lobster posted:

I will say this though, PSO2 is probably the only game with enough dress-up options to let me make a Drake of the 99 Dragons character:

Cathode Raymond posted:

Also you are too...kick too much. Look at how kick too much you are.

Songbearer posted:

I know CO was a while back, but I can't let it pass without mention that the goons made a twenty-something strong Power Ranger knockoff team complete with knockoff Megazord back in its heyday, before it went F2P:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l8dfqFv1s

Yeah, I have a pretty soft spot for that game :v:

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 29, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If you're doing F2P shooters as well as RPGs, I'd like to see Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex First Assault Online.

Mostly because I want to hear you say that name over and over.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Play Tibia, the MMO Fantasy RPG.

You even have a good cut-off point at level 8 when you leave the training area. :allears:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I played Champions Online once ages ago. Curious to see how that looks these days.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I've been down this path.

This way lies madness.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'd "recommend" Shaiya on that MMO poo poo list.

Also, the music in that cheery, colorful starting town of Aura Kingdom is weirdly catchy.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If you want something from completely the other end of the spectrum, Project Gorgon is a free MMO made by a one-man devteam who clearly loves what he's doing and is putting his heart and soul into the game, and who has absolutely no problem with his game being janky and unpolished as all hell.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Those requests are all 100% excellent! Though our path ahead may lead to madness, the journey is the true reward, or something like that.
We're going to prioritize requests ahead of our own lists, so expect games you all requested to be played soon! Darcy is getting over a cold, so there's going to be a slight delay in recording. Luckily, there's already a third video that will be uploaded in the meantime.

Without further delay,

The second and last episode of Aura Kingdom is here!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I look forward to seeing who rips off WoW the hardest.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I'm going to toss out two recommendations. First is Dungeon Fighter Online if you want a bit of a palette cleanser. It's not quite as anime-as-balls as Aura Kingdom and the combat can be kind of fun. Second is Phantasy Star Online 2. Not because it's bad as such, but if you're going to make fun of going to glorious nippon then you might as well go full bore and get involved with a game that requires you to login through its Japanese web site because they've never bothered to bring it anywhere else.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
The thing that sucks about F2P MMOs is when you want to suggest something, go looking for it to make sure it IS the one you want to suggest, then come to find out you're some 8 months too late to suggest it because the servers are down.

God, I wanted you two to suffer through Scarlet Blade so badly...

Buried alive posted:

Second is Phantasy Star Online 2. Not because it's bad as such, but if you're going to make fun of going to glorious nippon then you might as well go full bore and get involved with a game that requires you to login through its Japanese web site because they've never bothered to bring it anywhere else.

Do you know how much this pisses me off?! I LOVE the PSO games but I just can't deal with the hoops you have to go through to play the game. I tried back when it first was announced it was JP only, but I got confused and frustrated early in the process and just ended up saying "gently caress it" and resigning to the fact I'll never get to play it myself. Not to mention I can't read a lick of Japanese so I would be lost the moment I made a character. *rant end*

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

It's anime not animes you baka.
Hey Darcy here! Thank you for all your requests so far, good stuff lemme tell you. Me and Olivia will get back to playing soon when I've finished getting over this nasty cold, we have got a video to give you guys during the meantime though.

Ben Kasack posted:

The thing that sucks about F2P MMOs is when you want to suggest something, go looking for it to make sure it IS the one you want to suggest, then come to find out you're some 8 months too late to suggest it because the servers are down.

God, I wanted you two to suffer through Scarlet Blade so badly...

Do you know how much this pisses me off?! I LOVE the PSO games but I just can't deal with the hoops you have to go through to play the game. I tried back when it first was announced it was JP only, but I got confused and frustrated early in the process and just ended up saying "gently caress it" and resigning to the fact I'll never get to play it myself. Not to mention I can't read a lick of Japanese so I would be lost the moment I made a character. *rant end*

God Scarlet Blade, I kinda wanted to suffer through it as well- morbid curiosity gets the better of me a lot of the time. Did look like a proper poo poo show though didn't it?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I love threads like this. This is gonna get real weird before it's all over.

I don't know if it's viable because it might lead to difficult video capture issues but could you two try one of the mobile WoW clones? I don't know what any of them are called. Just pick the worst one and play it for my enjoyment!

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

We can certainly look into mobile WoW clones, to be honest this is the first time I've heard of them. I don't think we have to ability to capture footage on a phone I'm afraid, but thank you for the suggestion! If you know any way we could record it go ahead, we're all ears.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

I played Champions Online once ages ago. Curious to see how that looks these days.

It lives on a skeleton crew with the barest of updates. It still gets updates, besides the craptacular Cryptic lockbox lottery bullshit that gets a monthly addition, and some very big content revisions have come out with regards to the game's costuming and character creation options, including some L40 endgame content, but the game is pretty much running on fumes.

Yeah, you get people trying out the game, and then moving on if they're not grabbed by the late Noughties style of aping WOW with regards to theme park setpiece questing and story progression, but none of the dungeons and raids to compare with, but if they're not hooked by the free content or by the cash store lottery system, all you have otherwise is just cruising through content with alts, or sticking to about three major maps where people congregate to roleplay.

:nws: Horrifyingly :nws:

I still like occasionally poking the game, mind. Mostly for a quick fix of 'let's stomp on poo poo with an ambulatory car' or 'defense piercing AOE's GO.'

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Let's see, free to play MMOs to recommend you try... Oh, how about Pirate 101? Or Toontown Rewritten, a recreation of Disney's MMO made from publicly available assets after the original closed? (It's also been made better than the original.)

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

Let's see, free to play MMOs to recommend you try... Oh, how about Pirate 101? Or Toontown Rewritten, a recreation of Disney's MMO made from publicly available assets after the original closed? (It's also been made better than the original.)

My god, they both look hellish- perfect!

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

Pirate 101 I was aware of, but I'm so glad you reminded me! But, I just looked up Toontown Rewritten and :aaa: I cannot believe there's a remake for that game! And a game that I played obsessively for a few months when I was 10, at that!

Slight announcement: We've decided to do ALL requests we receive as long as we can accomplish playing them and recording them on a technical level. They take all priority over our personal list. We'll be doing them in the order they were requested in the thread. :)

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 13, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Your playing of Aura Kingdom makes me want to give it a try. What is wrong with me. :/

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
If you want a truly cancerous F2P First Person Shooter, Try War Rock. It's made by Nexon EU, which is related to the Nexon company that made Combat Arms (which I would also recommend if more than one recommendation is allowed)

Unlike Combat Arms, though, which was actually decent before it got sorta overrun by hackers/scripters/etc. (apparently, it's better now, but somehow I doubt that) War Rock was pretty much always poo poo in a blender.

The vehicles were fun, though.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Pirate 101 I was aware of, but I'm so glad you reminded me! But, I just looked up Toontown Rewritten and :aaa: I cannot believe there's a remake for that game! And a game that I played obsessively for a few months when I was 10, at that!
Protip: Go fishing in TTR instead of playing the trolley games, except for the very first time to get your starting capital. :v:

Pear-Drop posted:

My god, they both look hellish- perfect!
Mmm, I'll be interested to see what you think afterwards.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You MUST play Vindictus and one of you must play the big guy. I still occasionally find myself drawn to the game.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You MUST play Vindictus and one of you must play the big guy. I still occasionally find myself drawn to the game.
:allears: I played a little bit of Vindictus. I think Dragon's Nest was better, but it has some interesting touches.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 14, 2016

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I absolutely LOVE Vindictus and sunk two or three hundred hours into it back when Hurke had just been added. I've been trying to get Darcy to try it for months, so this request gives me more leverage, thanks, heh!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Protip: Go fishing in TTR instead of playing the trolley games, except for the very first time to get your starting capital. :v:

You just brought back so many memories of me spending hours fishing so that I could afford to buy the furniture in the catalog. It was the very first time in a game that I was introduced to "grinding."

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears: I played a little bit of Vindictus. I think Dragon's Nest was better, but it has some interesting touches.

Dragon's Nest always looked interesting to me, but I've never played it. Maybe the cutesy art style turned teenage me off? As an adult, though, bring on the kawaii is what I say.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Urban Rivals was a strangely hilarious online cardgame that originates in France; I believe its still going. It was my jam back in middle school; still have tons of cards and such

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ben Kasack posted:

When I played it (which was at least a year ago, if not more) there was a guy making English patches so at least most of the UI was translated. I quit when I realized I had made a character that was sub-optimal,that fist weapons were more annoying than awesome and that in order to restart I'd have to go through all of the tutorial bullshit. Again. Which took hours, upon hours by itself. I keep expecting fist weapons to be fast, high-combo weapons but for some reason in all these MMO games they're always slow, short-range, high-damage things with a dodge or block function or something.

Going to go ahead and 3rd Vindictus on the condition that one of you plays a female character that is as fat as you can possibly get.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If Yapping Eevee's going to suggest an obscure cartoon MMO for children brought back from the dead by nostalgic necromancy, then so am I.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
If you get past the NSFW aspect of it, Scarlet Blade was actually fairly playable (in small doses). I mean, who doesn't want to play as some comically disproportionate babe working for a probably-sinister AI that employs you to kill giant mutants and cyborgs in an alien-looking earth world? Also, mech suits. But by the end of its life cycle, the community size was down to probably that of a small high school.

I was also gonna suggest Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE Online, but I see that went kaput too. I guess anything from Aeriagames would work these days, though.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Cartoon Violence posted:

You just brought back so many memories of me spending hours fishing so that I could afford to buy the furniture in the catalog. It was the very first time in a game that I was introduced to "grinding."
:mmmhmm: Man, that's one hell of a videogame memory to have. Also totally understandable.

You two have good banter going; I think this is going to be a very fun thread. :allears:

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh my I've actually played Dragon's Nest, my friend got me to play it for a few hours- I don't remember much about it to be honest, just that it's very anime.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

:mmmhmm: Man, that's one hell of a videogame memory to have. Also totally understandable.

You two have good banter going; I think this is going to be a very fun thread. :allears:

Thank you so much! We both are so happy that you're all getting enjoyment out of this, and we hope to keep it going for a good while!

Lizard Wizard posted:

If Yapping Eevee's going to suggest an obscure cartoon MMO for children brought back from the dead by nostalgic necromancy, then so am I.

Holy hell, I'd never heard of this before, but it looks insane. Esperanto as a default language? Early computer game plus ultra-early MMO? Delicious, and a definite try!

Digital Jello posted:

If you get past the NSFW aspect of it, Scarlet Blade was actually fairly playable (in small doses). I mean, who doesn't want to play as some comically disproportionate babe working for a probably-sinister AI that employs you to kill giant mutants and cyborgs in an alien-looking earth world? Also, mech suits. But by the end of its life cycle, the community size was down to probably that of a small high school.

Scarlet Blade was originally the very first game we thought of when we wanted to do this LP. When we saw it had been taken down, we knew we had to at least play everything else Aeria Games has to offer.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cartoon Violence posted:

Holy hell, I'd never heard of this before, but it looks insane. Esperanto as a default language? Early computer game plus ultra-early MMO? Delicious, and a definite try!

It was something all right. I'd recommend trying to drag a third or even fourth person in if at all possible; the game's designed with groups of up to four people in mind, so you might be locked out of a few things with just two. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man, good timing on this thread! Adventure Quest 3D just came out!

It's a 3-D MMO based on a 10+ year old flash-based 2d MMO. I hope you love overdone and unfunny memes!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:cripes: DragonQuest was always the best of the first three games ArtixEntertainment made. (Nothing to do with our Artix... I think.) I played all three of them a fair bit... But I can't quite commit to trying AQ3D myself.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I can't believe that Shaiya and War Rock have survived this long.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Slight announcement: We've decided to do ALL requests we receive as long as we can accomplish playing them and recording them on a technical level. They take all priority over our personal list. We'll be doing them in the order they were requested in the thread. :)

You're gonna die.

e: Oh, a suggestion. Ragnarok Online 2

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 15, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Schubalts posted:

You're gonna die.

While I agree that playing through this horrendous roster of garbage games will almost certainly lead to death, that's no reason not to continue. :colbert:

Also I have to ask that you defer my request in favor of that weird Esperanto MMOPlatformer that LizWiz tossed up there because I am super curious about that one.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man, good timing on this thread! Adventure Quest 3D just came out!

It's a 3-D MMO based on a 10+ year old flash-based 2d MMO. I hope you love overdone and unfunny memes!

Oh god no, is it as cringey as the original was? Actually, on that point, why not play all of the Adenture Quest games? Pretty sure they share a common universe or something, though don't quote me on that. Could be just reused characters/settings for all I remember.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cartoon Violence posted:

Scarlet Blade was originally the very first game we thought of when we wanted to do this LP. When we saw it had been taken down, we knew we had to at least play everything else Aeria Games has to offer.

Will a private server do?

A good poster fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Das Panzer posted:

Oh god no, is it as cringey as the original was? Actually, on that point, why not play all of the Adenture Quest games? Pretty sure they share a common universe or something, though don't quote me on that. Could be just reused characters/settings for all I remember.

They are the same universe in the weirdest way possible.

It basically goes like this, there's Adventure Quest, Dragon Fable and Mech Quest. Each with increasing levels of technological sophistication and knowledge. Adventure Quest is bog-standard fantasy, Dragon Quest is a couple of decades later and ends up being somewhat steampunk from memory with a more advanced world. Mech Quest is as the name suggests a bunch of giant robots fighting. There's a few other games here and there but those were the three big ones.

Here's the real kicker, the sci-fi mech game is the earliest in the timeline. Dragon Fable even has a location where you visit the husk of one of those robots.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread