Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I couldn't be bothered to watch any more football after coming home from the Texas/West Virginia game, which is a shame because it looked like a lot of fun games happened. WVU played well in the first quarter and did a great job of holding on to that lead despite turnovers and a lot of opportunites by Texas to win.

I like Charlie Strong as our head coach probably inexplicably given his record and the on-field product at times, and I hope this team can win out and maybe he can keep his job at 7-5 and a potential bowl win. Beating TCU would be nice in particular after two straight blowouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky rushed for 443 yards and lost, which is kind of impressive. While Xort was good yesterday, it's hard to say it was maximum chaos unless Kentucky could have beaten Tennessee and stayed in SEC East contention (though Florida's win ended that before this game was over). While it sucks, I think the loss to Georgia hurt more, I really think that was the more winnable game. So still no winning SEC record since 1977. Still, a win against winless Austin Peay will secure the first bowl since 2010, so that's the good news. Big Blue Nation travels, so I would think they'd be pretty attractive. I had heard Liberty Bowl reps have been to a few games already and are interested. In a way that might be the ideal destination since the basketball team plays at Ole Miss the night before. Honestly after 5 years without it's hard not to be happy about any bowl.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
PSU has an outside road to the conference championship, what a world. Can't wait to see the CFP rankings this week.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gameday is going to Kalamazoo this week!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I poo poo on Speight all year and he's good, then last week I start talking about how actually he's good, and he instantly becomes trash.

I'm not saying Michigan played well at all, too many penalties, and Iowa's good RB (I wish Ferentz had insisted on giving the bigger guy the ball most of the time like he had the rest of the season) had probably 7 runs where he juked someone out of their shoes, but man, this is an easy win if our QB doesn't miss a ton of open touchdowns.

Amara Darboh predictably owned Iowa's freshman CB who was forced into the lineup due to injury all game, and he missed him behind the defense for touchdowns 4 times. 11-26 103 yards. And he got hurt at the end of the game.

In the long run the loss wouldn't matter as they control their destiny, but a QB performance like that probably isn't going to beat Indiana, much less Ohio State. The offensive line is not good enough to run the ball when the other team knows it is coming (unless it's Rutgers or something) so if he can't hit some deep balls this team is not going to score many points against teams with a pulse. I don't know if it's the "first road game that wasn't against a completely trash team" or if he's just "bad" but not good.

edit: w/r/t Ferentz I mostly enjoyed making fun of him because the team last year was statistically not too far off the team this year. I guess I should have focused on 'that means that with preparation and a poor performance from Michigan they could pull an upset' more than 'lol they were actually bad last year and he got a huge extension haha' woops!

They should definitely give Wadley the ball more (especially in the passing game but they're kinda slowly figuring that out out of necessity), but Daniels is good too. He's had to run into stacked fronts all year and trucked multiple Michigan linebackers yesterday.

Greg Davis gets and deserves all kinds of poo poo but he called a GREAT game yesterday. That sounds funny when you throw for like 60 yards, but that was mostly bad execution (Beathard missed multiple wide open guys either because he was rushing under pressure or just off, including on the INT where Smith roasted the safety by like two yard and then fell trying to come back to the underthrown) and Iowa having the worst receivers in the conference (and Michigan having a really good defense). The two point conversion was a gorgeous play that just got dropped. He did a good job getting Wadley the ball in space and the QB draw to set up the FG caught everyone by surprise. I still want to get rid of him but for at least one night he deserves some props

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
yesterday loving ruled

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
gently caress THE HUSKIES

COUGS BITCH

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/797843492156346368

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Everyone wants to talk about confused ISU lady but the real hero in that police report is the guy who just wandered down to the sidelines with a beer

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

They should definitely give Wadley the ball more (especially in the passing game but they're kinda slowly figuring that out out of necessity), but Daniels is good too. He's had to run into stacked fronts all year and trucked multiple Michigan linebackers yesterday.

Greg Davis gets and deserves all kinds of poo poo but he called a GREAT game yesterday. That sounds funny when you throw for like 60 yards, but that was mostly bad execution (Beathard missed multiple wide open guys either because he was rushing under pressure or just off, including on the INT where Smith roasted the safety by like two yard and then fell trying to come back to the underthrown) and Iowa having the worst receivers in the conference (and Michigan having a really good defense). The two point conversion was a gorgeous play that just got dropped. He did a good job getting Wadley the ball in space and the QB draw to set up the FG caught everyone by surprise. I still want to get rid of him but for at least one night he deserves some props

Well, I'm not saying that Daniels is 'bad', but he averaged 1.1 YPC less than Wadley, and it's been that much or worse against every decent team Iowa has played. I also imagine he would have been even less effective if Wadley hadn't spread Michigan's defense out to begin with.

It was a good gameplan from Davis. I think most Michigan fans were highly confident because they assumed Iowa would just line up and run up the middle every play as they are prone to doing. Unfortunately, covering a shifty RB in space is by far Michigan's biggest weakness, and I'm sure Curtis Samuel won't take advantage of that...oh noooo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Henchman of Santa posted:

Boatrower U is cool

lets go the Flecks, bitch

MourningView posted:

Can't forget your punter being the best offensive weapon in the first half

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
That game was an abomination and was basically the perfect capstone to a loving awful week :smith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Daniels ypc gets dragged way down by being the dude they use in the most obvious run situations/formations. He's also had like 3 60+ yard runs called back by iffy penalties this year. Wadley is amazing and I wish they used him more but Daniels pounding people helps set him up. It's also probably not practical to give a 180 pound back 25+ carries a game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Boatrower U is cool

lets go the Flecks, bitch

Can't forget your punter being the best offensive weapon in the first half

nah that was still wadley.

The consecutive running into the kicker penalties were very funny but for all the crying some Michigan fans were/are doing about him flopping (which: he very obviously got run into both times and that's what they called) all we got out of it was a missed FG attempt. And the targetting (also the correct call btw) was after the play so Michigan still got the ball. His actual punting was really good all game though.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

nah that was still wadley.

The consecutive running into the kicker penalties were very funny but for all the crying some Michigan fans were/are doing about him flopping (which: he very obviously got run into both times and that's what they called) all we got out of it was a missed FG attempt. And the targetting (also the correct call btw) was after the play so Michigan still got the ball. His actual punting was really good all game though.

He did not get touched at all the first time lol but he did basically win the game with his awesome punts. If that safety is a touchback instead Michigan probably wins and he had two other awesome ones later

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

News:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Views: :ccb:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas loses an easily winnable game and squanders a great performance by the defense because our offensive coordinator forgets he isn't at Tulsa and his true freshman QB shouldn't be hucking the ball up 48 times with the nation's best RB lined up behind him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

He did not get touched at all the first time lol but he did basically win the game with his awesome punts.

hmmm

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
The Buffaloes are 8-2 and their last two games are against Washington State and Utah...oh boy

I'm trying to get tickets to the Utah game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I would call this roughing

What is the difference between running and roughing these days?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I would call this roughing

What is the difference between running and roughing these days?

It's all about the plant foot. You hit the kicker's plant foot it's roughing. You hit the kicker's kicking foot or bump him (and don't just absolutely destroy him), it's running.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For as miserable a season as Michigan State has had, that was a cathartic game. I still think our QB situation looks grim for next year, but even against Rutgers, a shutout was great and it looked like pretty much everyone did what they needed to do. I had the game on in the background while doing other stuff (for obvious reasons) but it looked like everyone was taking good routes and wrapping up on tackles which has not been happening at all this season.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Texas loses an easily winnable game and squanders a great performance by the defense because our offensive coordinator forgets he isn't at Tulsa and his true freshman QB shouldn't be hucking the ball up 48 times with the nation's best RB lined up behind him.

Joe Mixon transferred??

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
It's entirely plausible that OU can make the playoffs somehow.

1. OU wins out
2. Michigan wins out (including the Big 10 championship) OR Penn State loses a game & Ohio State wins out
3. Washington drops another game
4. Louisville drops a game OR Clemson loses the ACC Championship

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Auburn proved to the world that they were frauds, but at least a bunch of other schools also lost to take some of the attention away.

Injuries hit Auburn really hard and the coaches are idiots for playing a QB who's biggest strength is being a really accurate passer when he has a hurt throwing shoulder. Apparently they don't trust Franklin at all. The freshman QB Woody Barrett just tweeted (and then deleted) something hinting he was going to play in the next game (and burn his redshirt).

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Coaches poll is out, gently caress da acc. First unanimous vote for #1 of the season

pre:
RK	Team	Rec	Pts	Trend
1	Alabama(63)	10-0	1575	—
2	Ohio State	9-1	1495	3
3	Louisville	9-1	1418	3
4	Michigan	9-1	1332	-1
5	Clemson	        9-1	1318	-3
6	Wisconsin	8-2	1231	1
7	Washington	9-1	1190	-3
8	Oklahoma	8-2	1147	1
9	West Virginia	8-1	994	1
10	Penn State	8-2	923	4

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 13, 2016

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

GobiasIndustries posted:

For as miserable a season as Michigan State has had, that was a cathartic game. I still think our QB situation looks grim for next year, but even against Rutgers, a shutout was great and it looked like pretty much everyone did what they needed to do. I had the game on in the background while doing other stuff (for obvious reasons) but it looked like everyone was taking good routes and wrapping up on tackles which has not been happening at all this season.

Rutgers is like, offensively bad, but it was nice to see us playing with passion on both sides of the ball. Also Rutgers made our o-line look better and maybe that counts for something next year.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Rutgers is like, offensively bad, but it was nice to see us playing with passion on both sides of the ball. Also Rutgers made our o-line look better and maybe that counts for something next year.

Yeah, I really think the team needed a feel-good game here. With OSU and PSU left on the schedule we 100% would have ended the season on a 10 game losing streak.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
That's the most proud I've ever been of Tommy Armstrong. Dude isn't the best QB but he's still good and has a lot of heart.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
College Gameday is rowing the boat next week.

https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay/status/797832199294881792

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Just because it feels so good let me just say it again. Eat poo poo Michigan!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/797802901305430016

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
ugh now UW who is the coolest BEST winning team i get to say is mine now? baylor?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Probably Marquis de Pyro

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
AP Poll is out

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

And WVU and Oklahoma fans are predicatably super butthurt about it.

Deal with it P5ailures

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The problem is he's our only serviceable RB who's not injured and no RB should be taking 50 carries a game. We're gonna break him doing that. I thought the game plan was mostly fine, just the execution was lacking. Way too many dropped passes, OL looked pretty bad, Shane looked like a true freshman at times. All around our worst offensive performance of the year, but attempting to employ a passing game was not the main issue.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yeah bad effort there Hokies. All around, and GT deserved it, it wasn't as close as the score would have suggested. Still, as long as we beat UVA which I have every confidence in, we'll get to play in the ACC title game which is ahead of schedule for my expectations coming into the season (at the high end of possible I felt like) so it's hard to be too upset in the long run.

And since so many other teams also suffered stupid painful losses yesterday, it makes it just a little bit easier to swallow.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It's entirely plausible that OU can make the playoffs somehow.

1. OU wins out
2. Michigan wins out (including the Big 10 championship) OR Penn State loses a game & Ohio State wins out
3. Washington drops another game
4. Louisville drops a game OR Clemson loses the ACC Championship

How would #2 help at all :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Korranus posted:

And WVU and Oklahoma fans are predicatably super butthurt about it.

Deal with it P5ailures
I can see going to Boulder for the Wazzu @ Colorado game but, in the words of one Lee Corso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35SPhRD0Iw

• Locked thread