Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I poo poo on Speight all year and he's good, then last week I start talking about how actually he's good, and he instantly becomes trash.

I'm not saying Michigan played well at all, too many penalties, and Iowa's good RB (I wish Ferentz had insisted on giving the bigger guy the ball most of the time like he had the rest of the season) had probably 7 runs where he juked someone out of their shoes, but man, this is an easy win if our QB doesn't miss a ton of open touchdowns.

Amara Darboh predictably owned Iowa's freshman CB who was forced into the lineup due to injury all game, and he missed him behind the defense for touchdowns 4 times. 11-26 103 yards. And he got hurt at the end of the game.

In the long run the loss wouldn't matter as they control their destiny, but a QB performance like that probably isn't going to beat Indiana, much less Ohio State. The offensive line is not good enough to run the ball when the other team knows it is coming (unless it's Rutgers or something) so if he can't hit some deep balls this team is not going to score many points against teams with a pulse. I don't know if it's the "first road game that wasn't against a completely trash team" or if he's just "bad" but not good.

edit: w/r/t Ferentz I mostly enjoyed making fun of him because the team last year was statistically not too far off the team this year. I guess I should have focused on 'that means that with preparation and a poor performance from Michigan they could pull an upset' more than 'lol they were actually bad last year and he got a huge extension haha' woops!

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

They should definitely give Wadley the ball more (especially in the passing game but they're kinda slowly figuring that out out of necessity), but Daniels is good too. He's had to run into stacked fronts all year and trucked multiple Michigan linebackers yesterday.

Greg Davis gets and deserves all kinds of poo poo but he called a GREAT game yesterday. That sounds funny when you throw for like 60 yards, but that was mostly bad execution (Beathard missed multiple wide open guys either because he was rushing under pressure or just off, including on the INT where Smith roasted the safety by like two yard and then fell trying to come back to the underthrown) and Iowa having the worst receivers in the conference (and Michigan having a really good defense). The two point conversion was a gorgeous play that just got dropped. He did a good job getting Wadley the ball in space and the QB draw to set up the FG caught everyone by surprise. I still want to get rid of him but for at least one night he deserves some props

Well, I'm not saying that Daniels is 'bad', but he averaged 1.1 YPC less than Wadley, and it's been that much or worse against every decent team Iowa has played. I also imagine he would have been even less effective if Wadley hadn't spread Michigan's defense out to begin with.

It was a good gameplan from Davis. I think most Michigan fans were highly confident because they assumed Iowa would just line up and run up the middle every play as they are prone to doing. Unfortunately, covering a shifty RB in space is by far Michigan's biggest weakness, and I'm sure Curtis Samuel won't take advantage of that...oh noooo

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

nah that was still wadley.

The consecutive running into the kicker penalties were very funny but for all the crying some Michigan fans were/are doing about him flopping (which: he very obviously got run into both times and that's what they called) all we got out of it was a missed FG attempt. And the targetting (also the correct call btw) was after the play so Michigan still got the ball. His actual punting was really good all game though.

He did not get touched at all the first time lol but he did basically win the game with his awesome punts. If that safety is a touchback instead Michigan probably wins and he had two other awesome ones later

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

vyst posted:

Probably Marquis de Pyro

lol, yeah, you see me criticizing Harbaugh a lot

There are a bunch of Michigan fans who are acting as if Michigan is a garbage team and Harbaugh can't coach now because they lost one game, they're dumb.

It would be like a Florida fan criticizing their coach..well bad example. Pretend I said Clemson or some other school that is actually relevant.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

LeeMajors posted:

Can't wait for marquis de pyro to lash out irrationally at someones program for talking about it.

Yes, when the posters specifically mention me by name, it's very irrational. Florida still sucks and likely will for the foreseeable future by the way.

If only Florida and Michigan could play in a bowl game and settle this. Oh. Well, what if Florida had Tim Tebow? Oh.

really it's pretty funny given that I am generally pessimistic about Michigan and you people act like I'm the biggest homer just because I respond to the dumb posts about Harbaugh. Can't wait until my 'we're going to lose to Ohio State' prediction gets spun into some classic Michigan arrogance

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
There's no reason to worry about Michigan's ranking, they have a very high chance of losing to Ohio State in which case they will obviously drop out, and if they somehow win that one they'd deserve to be in anyway. They should have just put spots 2-7 or so as TBD IN 2 WEEKS

• Locked thread