Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
more support for skeletons and skeleton based endeavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
are you loving kidding me

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Garfu posted:

Something like Ctrl + F Blade of the fallen angel

on https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/es3uweap_n.htm

But better?

Yeah the problem with blade of the fallen angel and wings of the fallen phoenix is they suck as actual melee weapons. I think it would be cool to have a series of a couple uniques with different base types and different element typing with a single strong cast on hit effect to encourage specialization in a damage type and have some of the less used weapon types be relevant. With good base damage this time.

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 15, 2016

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Is there a guide anywhere to bring a new player up to speed? I've never done this and it's a little overwhelming but always heard Goons praising it.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

pulling out the crt to fully enjoy this game 800x600

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is the old "Chill in a game for 15 minutes, drop your poo poo, leave, and come back with your other character" trick the only way to transfer gear without another person?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 15, 2016

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Just log in with both.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, I didn't realize that's a thing. Sweet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've already jumped into the Discord but man, I wasn't expecting this. Just a few months ago I was lamenting its death.

Time to try this again and not remember a goddamn thing.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
We're moving hosts again, this time to a hopefully more stable and better pinging host for everyone. It's in Chicago.

Stand by if you're unable to connect/play, shouldn't be too long from this post. Also drop by the Discord for more up to date info

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I haven't run the numbers on the exact damage you'd get out of something like this, just spitballing here, but something like this might be fun. Or really dumb.

Dying Sun (Cryptic Axe)
Ethereal
Indestructible
700% Enhanced Damage
-20% Enemy Fire Resistance
Adds 5/lvl max fire damage
100% Ctc level 40 Immolation on kill
+1 Enchant oskill

Sliver of the True Death (Legend Spike)
Ethereal
Indestructible
900% Enhanced Damage
+2/lvl max damage
-50% enemy poison resist
50% ctc level 30 Poison Nova on striking

Sparkfist (War Fist)
Ethereal
Indestructible
900% Enhanced Damage
50% increased movement speed
10/lvl max lightning damage
50% increased lightning damage
50% ctc level 30 Chain Lightning on striking

Hammer of God (Legendary Mallet)
Ethereal
Indestructible
900% Enhanced damage
+2 min damage/lvl
100% increased Magic Damage
Adds 250-500 Magic Damage
50% Ctc level 30 Blessed Hammer on Striking
+4% Max all Resistances

and probably broken, but

Obliteration (Thresher)
Ethereal
Indestructible
900% Enhanced damage
+2 min damage/lvl
-20% Enemy physical resist
-20% enemy fire resist
100% ctc level 20 Corpse Explosion on kill

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Those look fun, but the problem is they have to compete (maybe in other areas) with double dstoned runewords that cap at 1800% ED

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Garfu posted:

Those look fun, but the problem is they have to compete (maybe in other areas) with double dstoned runewords that cap at 1800% ED

If you wanted to go crazy, you could put some of these or other good Ctc on kanji runewords to work towards. Although actually maybe its okay, I mean Heavy Metal is capable of doing pretty much any boss already, although the speed is a little slow, the main issue is you can't farm big areas fast. The big thing I don't know is if the damage from the cast spells would actually help with killing trash mobs significantly.

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 15, 2016

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
Getting in on this. Love this game

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I remember playing this last time and writing a lovely followbot that worked a third of the time.
If the plugin pack contains the packet sniffer, maybe I will write it again :v:

Anyone who's never played it really should. It's got the D2 core mechanics but everything else is turned on its head.
For example, my best character for clearing was a Vengeance Paladin whose auras just slowrolled the entire screen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Trying to play this, where do I log in with my forum ID?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Oh god. Me and another goon used to play this years and years ago on hardcore mode (the only way to play). I played the hell out of lightning barb but very interested in playing literally anything else that explodes the whole screen. Any suggestions?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this mod require DirectX to run? I still need to fiddle with it, but can only play D2 in DirectDraw mode at the moment and want to see if anyone knows before I go through the effort.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Stuntman posted:

Does this mod require DirectX to run? I still need to fiddle with it, but can only play D2 in DirectDraw mode at the moment and want to see if anyone knows before I go through the effort.

I'm not sure... but the install is super simple compared to previous versions. It's 2 zips, one that you overwrite with the other. No installs

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Does Leoric in hell spawn with extra fast every time? Worst boss in the game

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Oh god. Me and another goon used to play this years and years ago on hardcore mode (the only way to play). I played the hell out of lightning barb but very interested in playing literally anything else that explodes the whole screen. Any suggestions?

Elemental druids are similarly screen-exploding and also hella fun.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just started a playthrough of this with my girlfriend who's a much bigger diablo fan than me, I only vaguely remember failing to get D2 to run then finally getting it to and getting owned as a druid.

Now I'm a druid again and I have more birbs and dogges than young-me could have imagined!

:kiss:

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Maybe something like this? Pretty good out of the gate, absurd if you d-stone to the max:

Dying Sun
Zod-Fire-God (Melee weapon)
5%/lvl enhanced max damage
+5/lvl Max damage
+10/lvl max fire damage
Adds 300-500 fire damage
-50% Enemy Fire resist
+1 Enchant oskill
100% Ctc level 40 Immolation on kill

Eternal Winter
Water-Death-God (Melee weapon)
Indestructible
Level 20 Holy Frost Aura when equipped
50% Ctc level 27 Blizzard on striking
-50% enemy cold resist
+5/lvl minimum damage
5%/lvl enhanced minimum damage
Adds 400-600 cold damage
+8/lvl max cold damage

Obliteration
Death-Metal-Dragon-Zod-Jewel-Jewel (Melee weapon)
+3/lvl minimum damage
3%/lvl enhanced minimum damage
-50% Enemy Physical Resist
-50% Enemy Fire Resist
100% CtC level 20 Amplify Damage on Striking
100% CtC level 20 Corpse Explosion on kill

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

DM me this stuff on Discord or create a thread on the GR forums so we don't lose it.

We're going to do a necro balance pass first and then work on Melee.

edit: Obliteration looks sweet. a CtC corpse explosion weapon would be perfect for endgame melee

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
okay, seriously, does anyone have any advice on getting d2loader to not crash every 10 minutes with "We got a big error here"? Win10, if that matters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I have been hoping this would come back around! :hellyeah:

Herp I learned to read: going to dig up one of my 4 copies of the game, I'm sure I can get the games read. Also going to need to dig up a CD Drive.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 15, 2016

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Started playing again today and for some reason I keep autocasting town portal. What is going on?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

pixaal posted:

I have been hoping this would come back around! :hellyeah:

Herp I learned to read: going to dig up one of my 4 copies of the game, I'm sure I can get the games read. Also going to need to dig up a CD Drive.

You don't need either of those things, read the install thread on the GR forums.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

godface zillah posted:

Started playing again today and for some reason I keep autocasting town portal. What is going on?

Remove ammoguard from autoloading in the d2hackit.ini

Or type .ammoguard off ....maybe. Work posting so not sure.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Garfu posted:

DM me this stuff on Discord or create a thread on the GR forums so we don't lose it.

We're going to do a necro balance pass first and then work on Melee.

edit: Obliteration looks sweet. a CtC corpse explosion weapon would be perfect for endgame melee

I'll make a balance and item suggestion thread on the other forum in a bit.
For summoner necros/druids, is it possible to just buff the base summon damage? Some cool new items would be nice too, but the balance issues start from level 1 with summoners.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So what exactly is this? Did you goons further mod Eastern Sun, or is this the same ES one would find on whatever the official website is?

It's been years since I played ES, probably not since like 1.10 but I thought things were... More different. I got a Sorceress to 10 last night and was surprised at how similar the skill tree is to regular D2. Loaded up a Paladin and same thing. Yea there's obviously new abilities / modifications to old abilities. I dunno, I just remembered it being quite different.

But I might just be mixing it up with all the other mods I spent countless hours playing.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sab669 posted:

So what exactly is this? Did you goons further mod Eastern Sun, or is this the same ES one would find on whatever the official website is?

It's been years since I played ES, probably not since like 1.10 but I thought things were... More different. I got a Sorceress to 10 last night and was surprised at how similar the skill tree is to regular D2. Loaded up a Paladin and same thing. Yea there's obviously new abilities / modifications to old abilities. I dunno, I just remembered it being quite different.

But I might just be mixing it up with all the other mods I spent countless hours playing.

You might be thinking of MedianXL, it completely changed every skill dramatically, had ultimate and gameplay-unlocked skills. Also had ridiculously complex boss fights.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

ES is more like a content injection than a complete overhaul. But we're talking like 5x more content and many new features/modules like crafting and it's 3 sub-features, and the 17 new areas.

edit: and then yes, I've created patches to add items and improve QoL over the course of the game as well as bring other builds into balance with the powerhouses. No nerfs! except radiance

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 15, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What did old radiance look like, I forget.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

of all the things to rise from the dead, never thought I'd see Eastern Sun again :twisted:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

What did old radiance look like, I forget.

It was a Jeweled Edge (Crystal Sword) that ticked a fire-ish aura 3 times a second or something like that. Over a very large area for a large amount of damage.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
This is awesome and horrible at the same time.

Thanks for this.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

How do you reset your stat/skill points?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

How do you reset your stat/skill points?

http://d2es.urcraft.com/respec.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

If anyone's looking for a good first character that can solo through the entire game without specific gear I always found Fist paladin to be a good choice. The synergies on FotH scale it well into the higher levels and you don't have to deal with immunities really, IIRC. I forget the exact details. Or, y'know, just play with other people.

Garfu posted:

It was a Jeweled Edge (Crystal Sword) that ticked a fire-ish aura 3 times a second or something like that. Over a very large area for a large amount of damage.

Also the natural class synergies on Holy Fire affected the equipped aura of Radiance as long as you didn't put any hard points into Holy Fire itself, I think it was. Radiance itself had a custom aura entry in the spell table with a different name, but it was copied directly from the Holy Fire entry so it synergized, I think? I seem to remember building a goldfind character around it and teleporting around the Dead End on Hell, instantly zapping everything within maphack range even on players 8, while not actually doing anything other than picking up gold.

Gonna (barely) resist the urge to play this time around but thanks for keeping the dream alive. :patriot:

Flunky fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread