Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Poulpe posted:

Uhhh I followed some instructions that let you play in a resizable window, but then when that didn't work out I just opened the settings application again (forget the name) and checked off "windowed" and it works

Sorry, at work and can't look at anything specifically :(

that's fine, I followed the same directions for resizeable window, so I'll just check off windowed and see what works!

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Do i need the physical disk to play this?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ash Crimson posted:

Do i need the physical disk to play this?

No

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So I got one of the dragonstones in the first den area. I kind of figured the endgame poo poo would be endgame only.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Deki posted:

So I got one of the dragonstones in the first den area. I kind of figured the endgame poo poo would be endgame only.

Dragonstones are not endgame poo poo, though you do need several thousand of them to gear an endgame character.

You use them and their alternate modes to craft all sorts of useful things, like +skill gear, anvils for forging, and a whole plethora of other wonderful items.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Small patch incoming:
  • Adjusted Cow loot tables to add additional rolls for Sa runes (Does not overwrite any other drops)
  • Adjusted Oskill and Aura levels that spawn on equipment

Done with loot table adjustments! On to the Necro and Melee buffs

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Had a bit of a break, got it all installed and made the same character I always make (TargetZon the strafer) and immediately found a frostarc in blood moor. I guess I'm off the wagon again

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk

Garfu posted:

Small patch incoming:
  • Adjusted Cow loot tables to add additional rolls for Sa runes (Does not overwrite any other drops)
  • Adjusted Oskill and Aura levels that spawn on equipment

Done with loot table adjustments! On to the Necro and Melee buffs

What are the current thoughts on Necro changes? I know removing/replacing Revive always gets thrown about.

Curious if Poison and Bone will get some changes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sushi Face posted:

What are the current thoughts on Necro changes? I know removing/replacing Revive always gets thrown about.

The last time I paid attention, endgame necromancers were basically obligated to use Bone skills, and golem summoning lagged badly. God only knows how many revisions ago that was, and whether golems got any love in the meantime.

Edit: what is a Zod rune?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 18, 2016

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Grundulum posted:

The last time I paid attention, endgame necromancers were basically obligated to use Bone skills, and golem summoning lagged badly. God only knows how many revisions ago that was, and whether golems got any love in the meantime.

Edit: what is a Zod rune?

Vanilla rune. You need a zod decal and a wo rune to make one.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jusupov posted:

Vanilla rune. You need a zod decal and a wo rune to make one.

Hah. I never played vanilla Diablo 2, so I completely forgot that the original version had runes of its own.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The first and biggest change that Necros (and probably Druids too) need done is upping the base damage and hp of their summons. The modifiers can be tweaked around that, but the base that everything draws from is too low imo.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:
All I want is a viable summoner Necro so I can relive my days as a lagromancer

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The good old days of 8 skellie necros in Maggot Lair.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

The Shortest Path posted:

The good old days of 8 skellie necros in Maggot Lair.

Someone finally understands me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

can i live out my dreams of melee necro in this game

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Got bored with Median a while back and was gonna play the Resurgence mod's server since their ladder resets this weekend but return of goontopia makes it a no-brainer. I didn't start the last one until the end of its life so this should be fun.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk

Drythe posted:

can i live out my dreams of melee necro in this game

Last time around I ended up exclusively playing my Killer Scythe Necro. Get yourself a Heavy Metal Slayer Axe (new Unique) and destroy everything.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Sushi Face posted:

Made a topic for discussion: http://d2es.urcraft.com/viewtopic.php?pid=30#p30

Also there's about 100 people in Discord and nwf is heading up the discussion about it and taking notes.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Garfu posted:

Here's a link to IdleClient by brahmin: https://sites.google.com/site/madbrahmin/idleclient

It allows you to fill up your game with bots to increase XP and loot drops. Usage is pretty self explanatory

I can't get this thing to work for whatever reason. I get a "failed to load ini" error every time I try to start bots. Tried running everything as admin and I'm not sure what else to attempt.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My roommate wants to play, he's on Windows 7. I copied my working D2 (used the torrent from the site in the OP) directory to his computer, ran Goontopia.reg + d2vidtest, set compatability modes etc. but he can't run it. If he sets it to windowed mode, it CAN run but playing in a tiny 800x600 window which doesn't even mouse lock is awful.

Anyone have any experience with this?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sab669 posted:

My roommate wants to play, he's on Windows 7. I copied my working D2 (used the torrent from the site in the OP) directory to his computer, ran Goontopia.reg + d2vidtest, set compatability modes etc. but he can't run it. If he sets it to windowed mode, it CAN run but playing in a tiny 800x600 window which doesn't even mouse lock is awful.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Did he run the glide wrapper?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I was able to do the install and create an account. I can run the game and get on the server but when I try to create or join a game it seems to load for a moment and then it goes back to the lobby. I think I did the install as instructed but one thing was different for me - I didn't have GlideFX as an option in the video test, only DirectDraw or Direct3d. I don't know if these two things are connected. I'm trying this on a Win10 machine.

Edit: I downloaded a glidewrapper, can now choose glidefx. Didn't help, although I did discover that I can play local games.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 18, 2016

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

boho posted:

Did he run the glide wrapper?

Ah, yea, that helped. He still can't run it in Full screen, but 1280x1024 windowed or whatever isn't awful with mouse capture.

Is there like a PDF I can download or something that tells me what half of this poo poo is in this game? No idea what to do with all the Hearts and Jawbones and organs. Or Ancient Decipherers. Or all of the other nondescript items.

Also how the gently caress does this Idle Client thing work? I created 7 different ini files for each of my dummy characters. Fill in the Game Info that I created on my main but they can't join?

edit; vvv D'oh.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 18, 2016

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Sab669 posted:

Is there like a PDF I can download or something that tells me what half of this poo poo is in this game? No idea what to do with all the Hearts and Jawbones and organs. Or Ancient Decipherers. Or all of the other nondescript items.

Yes it's in the first posts in this very thread

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I cannot run this at all in windows 7, Followed the instructions in the OP but when i try to run it it loads for a few seconds then nothing. windowed mode doesn't do anything.

EDIT: Bizarrely, taking off the compatibility option let it run.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Ah, yea, that helped. He still can't run it in Full screen, but 1280x1024 windowed or whatever isn't awful with mouse capture.

Also how the gently caress does this Idle Client thing work? I created 7 different ini files for each of my dummy characters. Fill in the Game Info that I created on my main but they can't join?

edit; vvv D'oh.

https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/es3runew_n.htm

Lots of info in the motd on Discord

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Zathril posted:

I cannot run this at all in windows 7, Followed the instructions in the OP but when i try to run it it loads for a few seconds then nothing. windowed mode doesn't do anything.

EDIT: Bizarrely, taking off the compatibility option let it run.

Yeah you only need compatibility mode in win10, should probably mention that in the instructions.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Importing from old thread:

If the game is crashing when you open the map, restart your computer. If you're getting crashes that tell you it's d2hackit, go to Brahmins site and update d2hackit. If you're getting crashes that point to a single line of code, update your Patch_D2.mpq. If you're getting crashes when mousing over certain things, make sure you're playing on 800x600. I think that about covers it. If you're still getting weird crashes, come in IRC and we can do some troubleshooting.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

gently caress you for bringing this back.

In all the old servers I was too proud to run a Lightning Barb, but now I'm old and bitter and regret every choice I ever made so it's time to remedy that.

Also please buff Vine Druids to make them endgame viable, I want to be a Skelemancer but more colorful.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Any version from 1.10 to 1.13c should work for the game and also all of the plugins, right? I thought certain plugins were picky but maybe not.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Suprfli6 posted:

Any version from 1.10 to 1.13c should work for the game and also all of the plugins, right? I thought certain plugins were picky but maybe not.

If you don't use the download one that's linked you'll likely get hosed somehow and end up trying to troubleshoot issues that don't exist with that version.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

What if we updated the google drive download to include the fully patched copy making it just point and click easy instead of unzipping 3 things into the folder? I'm all for idiot proofing everything.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

pixaal posted:

What if we updated the google drive download to include the fully patched copy making it just point and click easy instead of unzipping 3 things into the folder? I'm all for idiot proofing everything.

The complete client is too big to use as a Google Drive download link.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yo is there any reason why my autostocker and poo poo would be going really slow? Didn't do that when I was playing on the regular public client.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

You will always have to download the patch separately, because we aren't going to reupload a 2gig file to gdrive every time we patch, which could be multiple times per day (like today). So all it is, is one extra step to unzip the contents of goontopia.zip into your D2 directory...

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Target Practice posted:

Yo is there any reason why my autostocker and poo poo would be going really slow? Didn't do that when I was playing on the regular public client.

You can adjust .as speed, but it's based on your ping.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So based on thread discussion I guess there are some trap builds, aka builds that don't really work? Summoner Necros for instance. Are there any others like that? Alternatively, are there any good builds not discussed so far? For instance I had some success with a life leech werewolf druid back in the day.

edit: I have vague memories of using build guides off of the actual Eastern Sun wiki. Those still good for the most part?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 19, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So based on thread discussion I guess there are some trap builds, aka builds that don't really work? Summoner Necros for instance. Are there any others like that? Alternatively, are there any good builds not discussed so far? For instance I had some success with a life leech werewolf druid back in the day.

Since you can respec using the forums there's not trap build. All builds can beat hell baal. There's obviously stuff that is broken and will help you farm end game endlessly but I think the goons in charge want to make every class have at least 1 good end game build. Even the worst skill is better than LoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I guess trap build was the wrong terminology. I'm just saying if I made a necromancer for the purpose of being a summoner build and later found out that the summons weren't that great, I would be disappointed. Was just wondering if there was anything else like that, but if I could make my werewolf work maybe I'm just overthinking it. This talk about meleemancers has got me itchin' for a witchin'

• Locked thread