Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Would it be possible to set the prices of gems in NM/Hell to the same as normal? I almost blew 900k on a perfect in NM act 5 when they're half that price in normal...

Edit- Huh, appears this was an isolated incident, or maybe it was hotfixed? In any case, gems from NM Larzuk are the same price as normal now.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Wait what the gently caress

Goon ES is back?

Someone tell Randabis. Actually, I will.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Suprfli6 posted:

Would it be possible to set the prices of gems in NM/Hell to the same as normal? I almost blew 900k on a perfect in NM act 5 when they're half that price in normal...

Edit- Huh, appears this was an isolated incident, or maybe it was hotfixed? In any case, gems from NM Larzuk are the same price as normal now.

Pretty sure this has to do with completing quests in those zones and getting a vendor discount from it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What advice do advanced players have for making the jump from mid-game to endgame equipment? I'm constantly stuck on using set items because they seem to give the best bonuses for the fewest equipment slots. But I routinely see people mention that sets aren't endgame material. What am I missing? Just continuous crafting/chitting until prefixes/suffixes align perfectly? Hoarding gems/jewels/crystals to make socketable items out the wazoo? Forging jewels (and everything else)?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Just continuous crafting/chitting until prefixes/suffixes align perfectly? Hoarding gems/jewels/crystals to make socketable items out the wazoo? Forging jewels (and everything else)?

Forging jewels to go into things with multiple sockets that are otherwise decent is a good move. Additionally, end-game is farming a shitton of gold to get maple leaves to d-stone a ton of modifier onto your gear, and things that work well with that. (Double-dstoning runewords if you are insane.)

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, unlike the vanilla game, you have a lot of crafting options/systems that can all converge together.

Even with something basic, you can d-stone, forge, add sockets and (in specific cases) do runewords, which can also have forged jewels and whatnot in them. Add piece to piece and you've got something beautiful :)

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

(Double-dstoning runewords if you are insane.)
Hey, it's wonderful. But there's caps on the bonuses which one has to be aware of though really only for those nuclear weapons you get at the end.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 21, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

poo poo, I had forgotten how large of an impact points in Energy has for spell damage in this mod. My Winter's Fury just went from ~6300 with my points all in Vitality to ~11000 with my points in Energy instead. I had been running out of mana constantly since switching from a Meditation A2 merc to an A5 merc (found an Eth Inarius Fall with Conviction aura on equip) but now I'm back to being able to just run around and let WF kill everything on screen instead of needing to cast sandstorm. I probably will still need to farm NM cows for a while but it just got a lot simpler.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RIP level 9 necromancer. I was leveling him mainly because I found the level 16 set for necromancers. I probably should have waited to give him the items until after I reached 16 :downs:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Forging jewels to go into things with multiple sockets that are otherwise decent is a good move. Additionally, end-game is farming a shitton of gold to get maple leaves to d-stone a ton of modifier onto your gear, and things that work well with that. (Double-dstoning runewords if you are insane.)

This is why you often have a farming character/set with triple Goldark's. It's a good place to start, really. You start churning through money extremely fast doing any of the end game stuff crafting/forging/enchanting/enhancing.

You can also start crafting jewels, as was mentioned - get a white item and socket donut yourself the maximum number of slots and fill that sucker up with awesome jewels*. You can also burn money on gem enchanting now that you'll be swimming in SA runes.

* - the nice part is that this can be a constant work in progress since you can just pop jewels right back out when you're ready for more forging/re-rolling. And all this work can go forward into when you eventually shop bot yourself a nice o-skill + max socket magic item.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 21, 2016

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I followed the instructions on the forum but when I launch I have a D2 icon on the taskbar but nothing happens? Any help? Thank you.

edit: Windows 7

Damo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 21, 2016

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Hardcore update: about to barrel through NM Baal, spent a while doing NM Cows to gear up so this should be a cakewalk.

Paladin with a level 67 Oak Sage and 6k hp? Alright then.

When I die, I'll be sure to update everyone on what it was that did me in.

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 21, 2016

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Hardcore update: about to barrel through NM Baal, spent a while doing NM Cows to gear up so this should be a cakewalk.

Paladin with a level 67 Oak Sage and 6k hp? Alright then.

When I die, I'll be sure to update everyone on what it was that did me in.

Please don't die :ohdear:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Damo posted:

I followed the instructions on the forum but when I launch I have a D2 icon on the taskbar but nothing happens? Any help? Thank you.

FWIW on my Win7 machine I had to choose Direct3D when running the video test for it to work.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
D2vidtest does not appear to do anything when I run it which seems to be making it difficult for me to get this to run in a happy little window since I can't set it to 3dfx. Any suggestions?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So my melee sin seems impossible to get going, is melee necro any better off? The amount of work I need to put in to do A1 hell seems ridic on the sin

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Drythe posted:

So my melee sin seems impossible to get going, is melee necro any better off? The amount of work I need to put in to do A1 hell seems ridic on the sin

The jump from NM to Hell is enormous in ES; my druid facetanked NM Baal and killed him in like 10 seconds with just a mana pot, and then the first boss pack I encountered in Blood Moor killed my spirit and elemental instantly and I had to burn several HP pots.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
Goddamn you Garfu I don't have internet at home anymore how am I supposed to play now?!?!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

aioli is just mayo posted:

Goddamn you Garfu I don't have internet at home anymore how am I supposed to play now?!?!

This game was made for 56k, can't use that much data. Teather your laptop to your phone.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The Archdimeron gemword gives +10 Conviction. I know that if you give that to an A2 Hell merc it will boost his aura, but what if you have an A5 merc with a sword that grants Conviction aura while equipped? I think +all skills gear boosts that aura so would +Conviction?

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

aioli is just mayo posted:

You better beg, borrow, or steal. Maybe sell a dog for it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I don't think the oskill will boost an "aura while equipped" but I also find myself forgetting the finer points of this game now

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

I Love You! posted:

D2vidtest does not appear to do anything when I run it which seems to be making it difficult for me to get this to run in a happy little window since I can't set it to 3dfx. Any suggestions?

I think you have to configure compatibility mode for both d2vidtest and the game .exe.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't think the oskill will boost an "aura while equipped" but I also find myself forgetting the finer points of this game now
It won't.

oskill and +to all skills will boost the aura a merc uses, but not for auras from an item.

Also, a paladin gets synergies from their skillpoints on their "aura when equipped" which can be interesting.

Last go around I had a rather interesting setup using a followbot paladin to give synergized auras to a Stafing Amazon. It's wuite a boost when you aren't yet at the stage where you can get all these auras, and even when you can, the synergy boosts are handy as is having two characters and two mercs to spread out the +auras on. (Like you could use 4 different "of aurora" helms across them all).

Er, the synergies alone from having 30 points in Might and Annihilation if your paladin has "aura while equipped" for Might, Concentration and Fanaticism is +510% damage.

If you were using the might aura directly, you can boost its slevel far above the "aura while equipped" versions for 15% more damage for each slevel. Eg: From a lvl20 from item to a level 50 on your paladin is +450%. Not bad.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 21, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What exactly did Garfu do to tinkering? I see a +summon damage and a +1 skill recipe under NewStuff, but nothing about how many tinkering points it uses. And are there more new tinkering recipes to be aware of?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Grundulum posted:

What exactly did Garfu do to tinkering? I see a +summon damage and a +1 skill recipe under NewStuff, but nothing about how many tinkering points it uses. And are there more new tinkering recipes to be aware of?

All tinkering points were increased. The +1 all tinkering is limited to 7 since that's all an item can have to +all. I don't think there's recipes other than the listed ones.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Grundulum posted:

Tinkering no longer reduces points. Infinite tinkering

There are additional recipes on newstuff with uber parts... those may get a buff since they're still expensive and really only help out early game.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Damo posted:

I would suggest doing a reinstall from zero. It only takes a few minutes - delete everything, unzip the D2 setup provided to a folder, unzip the goon mods, copy the patch.mpq, copy the .reg file, run the reg file. This got me going when I was having a wacky issue.

I Love You! posted:

Are you running it in admin mode and compatibility mode as WinXP?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Garfu posted:

Tinkering no longer reduces points. Infinite tinkering

There are additional recipes on newstuff with uber parts... those may get a buff since they're still expensive and really only help out early game.

doesn't this mean you can just increase points on something ad infinium?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

thechosenone posted:

doesn't this mean you can just increase points on something ad infinium?

Yes, given the resources

Also everything has a max, for instance +7 all skills, 900% ED, 400% elemental damage, etc.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Damo posted:

I had the same problem, don't use compatibility settings on Win7.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure what in the plugins makes the game not work when I put the folder in. It runs fine without them, but once I copy the plugin folder from the top post, the game refuses to start (no error either)

Garfu posted:

Also everything has a max, for instance +7 all skills, 900% ED, 400% elemental damage, etc.
Wait a sec, can you then double-tinker (like double d-stoning) so that your runeworded items have things like +7 and then +7 more to all skills? Sounds like a hilarious project.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Alavaria posted:

Wait a sec, can you then double-tinker (like double d-stoning) so that your runeworded items have things like +7 and then +7 more to all skills? Sounds like a hilarious project.

Yep

edit: well, in theory. We haven't tested it or tried. I guess I should test it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Garfu posted:

Yep

edit: well, in theory. We haven't tested it or tried. I guess I should test it.

I tested this back in version N (on 1.09 base IIRC) and you were able to double tinker to the hardcoded limit - in other words, 900% + 900%, +7 all skills x2, +14(?) class skills and tab skills x2, etc. When the item is converted to a runeword, the base bonuses are saved and parsed separately from the runeword bonuses, so everything you do to a base item can be done again to the item post-runeword.

Double-tinkering and double-dstoning my items eventually led to a memory overflow error when viewed, though. I think the limit is 88 lines in the item window that pops up when you hover - if you exceed that, the game crashes. I could be wrong on the exact number.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Does forging also work in the 1-before-runeword-1-after?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Alavaria posted:

Does forging also work in the 1-before-runeword-1-after?

No, and there are some complications. Certain mods only need to be increased a certain amount, others have 'soft' limits (like DR%) that need overcoming to negate enemy buffs/debuffs, and even others have a per-character limit.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

NachtSieger posted:

Please don't die :ohdear:
Made it to Hell Act 3, but was laid low by Might-Aura'd Fetishes while I was Cursed. RIP Paladin, you were a badass until you instantly popped.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Made it to Hell Act 3, but was laid low by Might-Aura'd Fetishes while I was Cursed. RIP Paladin, you were a badass until you instantly popped.
Aww man, you reminded me that my auradin died somewhere in Act 3, I think it was the optional Bookstore area or something, got ganked on an area transition staircase.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So my first Hell Countess kill dropped a white Shi rune and nothing else...

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So let me make sure I have this straight:

• Ores drop more frequently.
  • With gems, you can convert ores into different ores.
  • New tinkering recipes that require ores allow you to add all-skill bonuses to any item
  • Tinkering points are now functionally unlimited (up to per-item limits)

Oh, boy. :getin:

As a separate question, I've seen people kvetching about how often Sa runes drop. Is that a change from previous versions of Eastern Sun? Do I need to choose between better rune drops (the older version I am using) and better everything else (new version linked in the OP)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Pretty sure it's just the countess that bugged? Specifically the quest that gives the rune fountain.

Welp, I got it working so now I have a paladin following an amazon. This is going to be interesting...

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 22, 2016

• Locked thread