Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So based on thread discussion I guess there are some trap builds, aka builds that don't really work? Summoner Necros for instance. Are there any others like that? Alternatively, are there any good builds not discussed so far? For instance I had some success with a life leech werewolf druid back in the day.

edit: I have vague memories of using build guides off of the actual Eastern Sun wiki. Those still good for the most part?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I guess trap build was the wrong terminology. I'm just saying if I made a necromancer for the purpose of being a summoner build and later found out that the summons weren't that great, I would be disappointed. Was just wondering if there was anything else like that, but if I could make my werewolf work maybe I'm just overthinking it. This talk about meleemancers has got me itchin' for a witchin'

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man something about the core gameplay of Diablo 2 is so much fun. I think it has to do with the base movespeed of every character being so high along with the gorgeous 2D graphics that haven't seemed to age at all. And nostalgia obviously. I tried playing Path of Exile after this and I felt like I was running through molasses. I was planning on doing a softcore character but it just feels wrong to play softcore Diablo 2. The game is just a tad too simple for that, but somehow just simple enough to make Hardcore not be some unattainable goal like it would be in Diablo 3. I love this game. If you see someone on the Hardcore ladder with a generic fantasy name, that's probably me, I'm going to be trying out a few different classes this time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cerepol posted:

:siren: Learn to Use the Hotkey Plugin :siren:

Has your inventory ever been full and you groan because you'll need to do a bunch of cubing and stocking when you return?

Well groan no more. The hotkey plugin will cut down the mouse movements you need an insane amount.

How to get it working
First you'll need to setup the hotkeys.
I'm not sure what the default hotkeys are as it calls them by a #.

.hotkey SetStash
.hotkey SetDropToCube
.hotkey SetTransmute
.hotkey SetDropToInv

are the main commands. enter each one and select a key.

I personally use
Q for SetStash
W for SetDropToInv
E for setDropToCube
R for SetTransmute

Now that its setup all you need to do is pickup an item hit the appropriate key and it'll automove it to the next available space.
It becomes simple to pick up your gems Hit E,R with your stocker in the cube and get them all inserted. Mash R as you frantically roll your multi stocker so you can extract the correct item.
Hit Q to automatically stash items from your inventory.

A couple of quick warnings.
Don't use transmute with your stash open. It seems to detect having 2 inventories open but it can't tell between Cube/Stash. This will crash you to the main menu.

You do know about the autostocker right? It puts all your gems and rings and multisocker items all in the right places. Just type .as start into chat and let it roll. Just be careful if you have rings or amulets in your inventory because those will get sucked into the re-roller.

I stand pleasantly corrected.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Judging from the Expansion Hardcore ladder list, the person who helped me defeat Diablo in act 4 yesterday is dead...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RIP level 9 necromancer. I was leveling him mainly because I found the level 16 set for necromancers. I probably should have waited to give him the items until after I reached 16 :downs:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grifter posted:

I don't really have an answer for this, but here's what I did when my killing speed really slowed down as a melee werewolf.

When did you feel melee werewolf slowed down? The level 16 set turns you into a powerhouse (at least on normal difficulty)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I notice that Badtown is still on the Expansion Hardcore ladder even though he's dead. So what the heck happened to GBIRL, the dude who helped me through Act 4? He's just not on the list anymore. And goddamn Baddertown is already level 75 and some new guy Dogfucker came out of nowhere and is 54.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In my case I fought my way up to Anya in Act 5 and gambled with chits.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When you say forging is refundable, what do you mean exactly?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Very interesting! There's a lot of nuance to this. I've gone over the recipe list a few times and I feel like I'm still missing some stuff. I made one attempt to make a Druid ring, and while it did have +1 to druid skills on it, it also had +1 to necromancer skills and +2 to necro summons so I kinda just gave up on that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can someone do a little writeup on how ShopBot works? Or link to something maybe?

edit: Oh I found this site, this will probably explain some things

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 27, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Level 50 NM Lost Farm sounds ridiculous. I went to normal Lost Farm in my early 40s and I was still nervous.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I seem to recall from the last time that you gain half the magic find and gold find of your hirelings in this, but I can't seem to find any documentation saying so. What's the truth here?

edit: Also while I'm thinking about it, would it be possible to make uniques in normal difficulty not complete and total crap? I'm pretty sure all of them are just awful compared to the set bonuses.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 28, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bakalakadaka posted:

It's probably not worth rebalancing stuff for normal given that you can clear it pretty easily with a level 1 set and nothing else. Source: me starting dudes at level 1 with a full game and clearing normal :getin:

Well yeah that's kind of my point! Even as I start going into nightmare, every unique I pick up has just been plain terrible compared to the sets. It'd just be nice to have any reason at all to use some of these items I keep getting. Right now its sets or nothing, until they (presumably) get better near the endgame. Speaking as a hardcore player, who could conceivably spend more time in the beginning than the average player.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

You may be thinking of mercs gaining your gold find.

I think I must have been thinking of Diablo 3, but thats just 20%. Must have imagined it

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 28, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pixaal posted:

Especially with forging. It takes until A4NM when you bash Meph's soulstone but after that you should have enough P.gems to get a full set of forged jewels. It turns into whatever has the most sockets and a good beat stick, that you jam more stuff into. End of Normal you should be able to forge a few jewels from saved up gem points.

Don't forget you can runeforge stuff 2 of the same rune + a chippy to get the rune applied to the item, 3 thawing pots to get the runs back.

Good points!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's Puppeteer's Hold? Can't find it on the wiki

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Target Practice posted:

Any reason why an install would be working just fine last night, but today when I press tab it instantly crashes with the same crash you get when you quit the game? This happened across multiple characters, with and without the updated MPQ.

This happened to me, restart your computer and you'll be dandy. Don't ask me why. Removing your entire plugin folder will also fix it, so I assume its something to do with the maphack

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Good news, summon necros were buffed heavily this weekend! Scroll up for the patch notes about it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Leper Residue posted:

Just signed up and got everything installed and currently idling while watching star trek.

Sup fellow person watchin Star Trek while playin Diablo :hfive:

Leper Residue posted:

Do the goon patches affect single player? I might be without internet soon but still want the changes.

Yes but you'll miss out on respecs, unless maybe you hunt down some kind of external program.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's not going to feel THAT different from vanilla Diablo 2, but there's so many little things that I can guarantee you that I won't be revisiting vanilla Diablo 2 ever again, or Diablo 3 for that matter. Basic rules still apply, find yourself a good left click skill and good right click skill and try to balance your mana and life leech to the point that neither of them goes down during the course of normal combat. The Eastern Sun itemization stuff doesn't come into play until mid to late nightmare when you have access to more stuff.

Step one would probably be to make some class jewelry. Check under the NewCraft section on the big recipe list, but keep in mind whatever you make will probably require your level to be in the mid 40s.

Your main goal should be to get to Anya in act 5 and then you can gamble anything in normal. You'll also have access to areas that drop fake notes which are worth over 100k gold a piece and they are not difficult to get

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 4, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think that the game is, for the most part, easy enough as it is, but I don't think a complete lockdown on anything that makes the game even a bit easier is wise.

This is why I only play hardcore.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Playing without an autostocker is madness. Madness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is your goal to fail the class?

• Locked thread