Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Got bored with Median a while back and was gonna play the Resurgence mod's server since their ladder resets this weekend but return of goontopia makes it a no-brainer. I didn't start the last one until the end of its life so this should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Any version from 1.10 to 1.13c should work for the game and also all of the plugins, right? I thought certain plugins were picky but maybe not.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

There's something so satisfying about Winters Fury druids to me, maybe because it's like a combo vanilla auradin+orb sorc on steroids. I know for hell+ it takes a ton of work to remain viable but for mindlessly grinding cows it's the easiest build there is.

Of course I'm kicking myself atm because I spent a bunch of gold and poo poo to craft druid rings/ammys before remembering the much much cheaper (and for this build, better) skill tab crafts.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Is there a zone or anything with boosted rune drops? I know there's a patch note that says Countess is worth running but my NM runs have been a huge waste of time.

Edit- 10 minutes after complaining about rune drops, I get my first green rune. Typical.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 20, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Would it be possible to set the prices of gems in NM/Hell to the same as normal? I almost blew 900k on a perfect in NM act 5 when they're half that price in normal...

Edit- Huh, appears this was an isolated incident, or maybe it was hotfixed? In any case, gems from NM Larzuk are the same price as normal now.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 20, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

poo poo, I had forgotten how large of an impact points in Energy has for spell damage in this mod. My Winter's Fury just went from ~6300 with my points all in Vitality to ~11000 with my points in Energy instead. I had been running out of mana constantly since switching from a Meditation A2 merc to an A5 merc (found an Eth Inarius Fall with Conviction aura on equip) but now I'm back to being able to just run around and let WF kill everything on screen instead of needing to cast sandstorm. I probably will still need to farm NM cows for a while but it just got a lot simpler.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Damo posted:

I followed the instructions on the forum but when I launch I have a D2 icon on the taskbar but nothing happens? Any help? Thank you.

edit: Windows 7

FWIW on my Win7 machine I had to choose Direct3D when running the video test for it to work.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Drythe posted:

So my melee sin seems impossible to get going, is melee necro any better off? The amount of work I need to put in to do A1 hell seems ridic on the sin

The jump from NM to Hell is enormous in ES; my druid facetanked NM Baal and killed him in like 10 seconds with just a mana pot, and then the first boss pack I encountered in Blood Moor killed my spirit and elemental instantly and I had to burn several HP pots.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The Archdimeron gemword gives +10 Conviction. I know that if you give that to an A2 Hell merc it will boost his aura, but what if you have an A5 merc with a sword that grants Conviction aura while equipped? I think +all skills gear boosts that aura so would +Conviction?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So my first Hell Countess kill dropped a white Shi rune and nothing else...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Jusupov posted:

Game over man, game over

Very nice!

Is there a list somewhere of the goontopia-exclusive runewords?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Awesome, thanks

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Jusupov posted:

My crystal can looks sad now

Do you farm both cow levels for Ore or are other areas better?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Wonder why the sockets display as empty on the item itself.

Also wasn't there a bug where forging skill tabs into skill jewels could mess things up? It's been so long it's hard to remember the exact details.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The level 16 druid set combined with +elemental tab starter weapon and rings/ammys lets you walk through all of normal without having to lift a finger. Stuff runs into your Winter Fury radius and either dies instantly or gets stuck in hit recovery animation until the second or third tick kills them. Some of the very high hp mobs are the only exception to this and you can sandstorm them once in the face or do whatever else you want to make them die faster.

My druid is level 82 or 83 and I'm just now replacing the level 16 set...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Is there anyone with scroll 49 who would let me borrow it later today or some time in the next few days? I haven't spent enough time in Hell to get many of the 26-50 scrolls but I have lots and lots of steaks and dstone points from NM cow farming.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

suuma posted:

I'm about level 35 and I've finished up Normal and everything in Nightmare has too much hp for my gear. I'm still running around with the Berserker's set on a thunder barb because I just haven't found anything else and I'm not really sure what I should be targeting for as far as gambling goes.

I guess I should probably use my unique stone on a muscle wrap because right now I spend so much gold on potions I barely clear 50k when it comes time to go gamble.

Have you crafted +3 Combat Masteries rings and ammy? Pretty cheap recipe that results in huge boosts to your spell damage. You can also start to forge items with +1 barb skills since whenever you upgrade the item you can easily remove the forging and get your materials back.

Also farming normal Baal is really fast exp up into the mid 40s or something, isn't it? That will help make NM easier too.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Elemental Form doesn't increase your spell damage afaik and it prevents you from casting most spells while shapeshifted anyway.

You can focus on pretty much any of the ele skills and do fine. I put a point into Summon Elemental for the extra meatshield, Summon Oak Sage + prerequisite, and the rest into whatever spell you like best and its synergies. I like focusing on WF and Sandstorm but they're all good.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My Hell Act 2 mercenary is supposed to have level 23 conviction at his current level+gear, which is -70 to enemy resists. I thought there was a patch that capped mobs resists at 110 (barring afixes and bosses and poo poo) so skills other than Ancient's Call could actually break immunities? Conviction doing -70 is worth -14 to break immunities but it doesn't appear to actually break any cold immune mobs I've encountered.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Haerc posted:

Should I just drop WF down to 1 point for the slow then?

WF still works fine all through Hell, it's only the special areas where stuff has enough HP to make it a bit tedious.

If you want WF to work you need to go all-in on it though. 1 point in Oak Sage and the pre-req, 1 point in Summon Elemental (optional but it's a strong tank for 1 point) and the rest into WF and it's synergies. I use Sandstorm to speed things up since it's physical damage but still shares all of WF synergies and does a lot of damage if you hit things at close range. Maxed Cyclone Armor is nice too. Stat points all go to energy unless you need a bit of Str for gear, pumping energy almost doubles your WF damage at higher levels.

For gear you want +skills, +cold spell damage, -enemy cold resist. The 16 druid set lasted me through most of Hell but I had it all socketed and forged. Forging gear and jewels is refundable so everything you wear should be forged for skills ASAP.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Very interesting! There's a lot of nuance to this. I've gone over the recipe list a few times and I feel like I'm still missing some stuff. I made one attempt to make a Druid ring, and while it did have +1 to druid skills on it, it also had +1 to necromancer skills and +2 to necro summons so I kinda just gave up on that.

Rather than crafting a ring/amulet for your class as a lowbie, use this recipe instead-

Magic Druid Amulet/Ring + 3 Ancient Decipherers + Magic Jewel + Ruby =

Magic Item of the Same Type
(ilvl = char level)
+1-3 To Elemental Skills (Druid Only)

Assuming you want elemental skills for leveling.

Much cheaper, and more likely to give you other good skills for your class.

There are similar recipes for every tab for every class, go to https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/es3cube_n.htm and look for "skill tab reroll"

Here is a ring I made with that recipe, and then forged and socketed and stuck a forged jewel in and am still using at level 92-

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 26, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I Love You! posted:

So the weird crash bug keeps rearing up. Just chiming in again to see if anyone knows what might be causing this. It's only happening when several of us are in game together, and so far only when I've been on my barb who stacks a bunch of auras. The game simply freezes completely with no warning, and it seems to happen to a person at random, sometimes two people in quick succession. HALP PLZ if you have any ideas

It could be the 27 States bug, if you do some googling that phrase plus eastern sun you'll find a list of things that count towards the 27 limit. If you have multiple classes and multiple mercs that all have a different aura or two it's easier to hit than you'd think since some things count towards it that you wouldn't expect.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My twinked necro is in the low 50s and the numbers on his summons are impressive but it just doesn't satisfy the way a full-screen aoe build does, for me at least. Hydra seemed like it had potential with all my +summons stuff but the damage is pretty anemic. To be fair I didn't try investing heavily into Vampires to see if their spells plus Hydra synergy result in better killspeed than skellies and CE.

Back to grinding for Wo and kanjis on my druid I guess.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Garfu posted:

Which of the 4 summon auras (Might/Concentration/Fanaticism/Annihilation) do you have?

Just Might on him. But that's not the issue; the summons hit plenty hard but it takes longer for them to kill multiple targets than casting 1 spell and wiping the screen with other classes. That's why I was thinking vampires might be faster since their spells are aoe but I didn't try it. Next time druid gets boring I'll go back to it and experiment.

I think the biggest thing with necros is just that their class mechanics as a whole don't fit ES as well as others, they always feel a little clunky compared to the more typical builds.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 27, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Hey Garfu, it appears that the Conviction aura on the Burn runeword is still level 5 like it was in regular ES. Did you leave it where it was intentionally or was it an oversight? Inarius Fall unique sword went from 1-3 to 9 for example, plus the amulet aura forgings etc all jumped considerably.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I don't think players inherit any MF/GF from their merc, I could be wrong though. I thought it was just the standard "if your merc gets the killshot he uses yours+his MF/GF" which is why some people goldfind with an A1 merc that they buff with enchant or whatever.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Nosre posted:

Is there a trick to this, or do you need to level 'em up somewhere else first? I stuck some level 1 alts in Lost Farm in normal (main is 45ish) and they get tiny percentages of the xp per kill. Whole farm/andarial's dressing room got them to 6, I think

There is a penalty on leeching exp until you are 25, so leveling normally in a p7/p8 game is usually fastest, the tombs at the end of A2 are a fast way to go from 15ish to 25. If you have a higher level that can cast Enchant on the lowbie that can help speed things up even more.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

That's just melee sadly. It needs to say spell damage.

Also -enemy resist is generally better than +skills or +spell damage, within reason. It usually has a larger impact in your actual damage output even if your tooltip number isn't as pretty.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Huh I never knew lightning wave could multihit, guess that's why my old lightbarbs seemed so much more effective than other classes with better numbers on their spells.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

Just signed up and got everything installed and currently idling while watching star trek. Are auradins viable? I like walking into an area and just watching everything blow up. And assassins are cool too but I remember hitting walls with them pretty hard before.

Do the goon patches affect single player? I might be without internet soon but still want the changes.

Winter Fury druid is the best incarnation of an auradin currently I think. Although a holy fire/shock paladin is probably good through Normal and NM with some hand-me-down gear from other players and +3 offensive aura rings/ammy. I've tried leveling a Protection from Evil paladin but they were nerfed a while back in ES, the aura only ticks every 3 seconds and doesn't scale as well.

If you feel like doing the druid version, you want the level 16 set and +3 Ele Skills jewelry. Once WF is maxed you max Sandstorm and use that to kill anything WF doesn't shatter instantly (which is 99% of stuff until you get to late Hell). I'm currently trying to see just how extreme I can get my WF druid; at level 94 mine does 50k before factoring in -resists and I have a plan to take it much higher but that's gonna take some work. Right now mine ticks hard enough to kill most cows in p1 Hell in 2-3 seconds.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

The problem with Assassins is that melee just isn't as fast or effective as screen-aoe spell spamming no matter what you do with it. It can still be really good, but you'll hit those walls yeah.

Garfu is planning on addressing this once he's happy with the necro updates. Better CtC weapons and such are part of the plan, plus I'm sure lots more.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The thing with CtC AOE spells is that most of them really don't do much damage compared to the health of level 88 stuff. Casters have maxed energy, elemental mastery, AC, Conviction, Lower Resist plus synergies for whatever spell they kill with.

I think melee would need something that scales with mob HP like Corpse explosion (but isn't CE pretty bad in high /player games since mobs have like 400% more HP and CE doesn't scale with that?) or some sort of AOE that carries weapon damage. MedianXL has a variety of skills that cause small nova AOEs or similar types that are based on weapon damage and it makes melee builds much more competitive.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Garfu posted:

Melee changes coming along nicely

Hahaha wow that looks goddamn amazing

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Is this actually better than some of the set items in the game? Yeah, it's an assload of skill points (and gold find, and lightning damage), but the set items give many more bonuses than just that. You can socket the set item (if it doesn't come with some) and get +2 to class skills through forging; the +7 to all skills would come from tinkering. So you're missing out on +5 to class skills, but you get stuff like 50% chance of crushing blow, +200-300% enhanced damage, and +75 to all resistances.

He's a lightning barb. Crushing blow, enhanced damage, etc are only for melee. Resists are easily capped with charms and a handful of items. Sets aren't really endgame setups for any class though, aside from maybe the Waves set for its CtC stuff.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Flea Bargain posted:

Basically that, yeah. There's also the fact that you don't have to equip other potentially suboptimal equipment to get the bonuses, it's self inclusive. If you dual wield two of those (oh god) then you're probably way ahead of most set bonuses already.

E: What jewels are those? Are they tab forged? I'm assuming they are, that you dstoned for lightning damage and then tinkered for +all skills? Would the unique jewel that gives 25% goldfind and +mana on kill be better?

Those are Shaved Dice, which can be found on the newstuff tab of the database. They have more goldfind and also have that exp bonus which is important at the very endgame because of the exp penalties you have to over come from 96-100. You can forge +1 class skills onto unique jewels, and yeah he's capped the +allskills tinkering on that. Mana on kill isn't really needed once you can aura-forge your mercs amulet with Meditation aura, even when a mana burn thing hits me I can still spam spells due to the crazy regen from level 31 Meditation.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Target Practice posted:

What are the intervals that quivers can have? I haven't found a unique one yet, so I've been rerolling and upping the ilevel of my rare one while banking the other ones I find. I'm currently 73, and my quiver is level 40. When should I start rerolling that one again to make sure it's keeping up with what I'm doing. Also, it's got 100% damage to both demons and undead, is that what I should be trying to roll on those?

I can hook you up with unique arrows if you want, I have duplicates of all three I think and no plans to make a bow character. Are you ever in discord?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Target Practice posted:

I can be yeah in a bit
Okay yell at me in discord, my name there is Dinadass. I should be around most of this evening. I just checked and I have multiples of the level 36 and 54 arrows so you can have both of them.

Ruggan posted:

I'll grab one too, if that's alright

Absolutely.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Beobeobeo posted:

So, where are people getting their Wo runes? I have only found one. I only have 3 bots in hell right now, so I'm assuming 8 players is my first goal.

My druid is level 95.8 and I've never had a Wo drop, my merc's Eternal Reign was made by converting lower purples into a Wo.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Meridian posted:

Haven't played this in years, but I just got a paladin to 80 in two days on B.net and am already bored with the base game.

Suggestions for first class/build?

Winter Fury druid is IMO the most powerful early/mid game character and you don't need great gear. I just made a nontwinked hardcore WF druid and got him into the 70s with only one single close call, after only 12ish hours played. Plus with the goon additions it's also one of the most powerful endgame characters too, where previously it used to tail off unless you invested some crazy amounts of time/consumables.

WF is a level 6 skill that is based on the LoD Hurricane skill. It covers nearly the entire screen and ticks every one second, and has 100% uptime. You have to recast it every few minutes but otherwise it plays like an auradin on steroids.

Prior to level 6 I usually cube my Noob Charm until it gives +1 to Poison Creeper and just whack stuff. Early game super unique monsters always drop 2 complete starter sets on death. These include Corpsefire, Bishibosh, Rakanishu and a couple others. You want to kill them until you have the druid set (Club Buckler Boots) and a couple partial sets to get two extra +skills and HP/Mana set bonuses. Save every jewel you get because you use them to roll druid rings/ammys with the Skill Tab Reroll recipe until you have ones that give +3 to Elemental Skills.

When you ding 6, put a point in WF and it'll feel like cheating. Level 1 sets and the aforementioned rings/amulet are all you need to waltz through Normal. Stat points should be 100% Energy to boost your damage, skill points are max WF, then I usually max Sandstorm since it's crazy damage if you blast things at close range and is physical damage instead of cold, then max Cyclone Armor. Combination of Cyclone Armor, Oak Sage and WF either killing instantly or keeping things locked in hit recovery animations makes the build very safe while still having an outrageous kill speed. Summon Elemental is an optional one-pointer.

At level 25 you can level very quickly by clearing Lost Farm (ghost cows) and/or Dark Magicians Chamber, both in act 2. A few clears of either will get you like 10-15 levels. Plus ghost cows drop Sa runes frequently which can be useful for making some early runewords. Plus the drops are a high enough ilvl to give them max sockets. So when you find a white Scale Mail you can give it 6 sockets and make the Ascend runeword which has 3 all skills and some other good mods.

Act 3 cold merc has Protection from Cold aura which will be a substantial buff to your WF damage. Just remember to recast it once he actually activates the aura, it can take a while since you tend to kill stuff before he engages in combat.

Once you beat normal, or a bit earlier, you can farm Lost Note Factory in A5 for cash, or regular+ghost cows since that is also pretty good cash. Buying chits from Anya to get the level 16 druid set and the Achilles+A3 merc sets for your merc (every +allskill on him is a 3% cold damage boost to you) will carry you through NM and into mid/late Hell. Farming NM Dead Magicians Chamber took me from 45 to 70 very quickly and is pretty safe since all the damage is elemental and you have Cyclone Armor.

Adding sockets to your gear and tab-forging jewels to fill them is the next cheapest way to boost your damage. You can also forge the gear itself with +1 druid skills but that requires more dragon stones which may be in short supply until Hell. Forgings can be removed and your components are returned so don't hesitate to forge stuff even if you don't think you'll use the item for very long.

Drythe posted:

You could play melee :downs:
Yeah the WF play style might be boring for some people but it's probably the lowest-effort character to start with and start accumulating crafting materials and gold. It's always been the most satisfying ES build for me personally though and it's a hell of a lot easier to use it as an endgame character now thanks to Garfu.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Player count won't really drop more runes so you're best off blasting through MoP as quick as possible as often as possible

What? I don't think you are correct, higher players settings do increase rune drop rates.

• Locked thread