Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sushi Face posted:

What are the current thoughts on Necro changes? I know removing/replacing Revive always gets thrown about.

Curious if Poison and Bone will get some changes.

The last time I paid attention, endgame necromancers were basically obligated to use Bone skills, and golem summoning lagged badly. God only knows how many revisions ago that was, and whether golems got any love in the meantime.

Edit: what is a Zod rune?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jusupov posted:

Vanilla rune. You need a zod decal and a wo rune to make one.

Hah. I never played vanilla Diablo 2, so I completely forgot that the original version had runes of its own.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What advice do advanced players have for making the jump from mid-game to endgame equipment? I'm constantly stuck on using set items because they seem to give the best bonuses for the fewest equipment slots. But I routinely see people mention that sets aren't endgame material. What am I missing? Just continuous crafting/chitting until prefixes/suffixes align perfectly? Hoarding gems/jewels/crystals to make socketable items out the wazoo? Forging jewels (and everything else)?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What exactly did Garfu do to tinkering? I see a +summon damage and a +1 skill recipe under NewStuff, but nothing about how many tinkering points it uses. And are there more new tinkering recipes to be aware of?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So let me make sure I have this straight:

• Ores drop more frequently.
  • With gems, you can convert ores into different ores.
  • New tinkering recipes that require ores allow you to add all-skill bonuses to any item
  • Tinkering points are now functionally unlimited (up to per-item limits)

Oh, boy. :getin:

As a separate question, I've seen people kvetching about how often Sa runes drop. Is that a change from previous versions of Eastern Sun? Do I need to choose between better rune drops (the older version I am using) and better everything else (new version linked in the OP)?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Alavaria posted:

Pretty sure it's just the countess that bugged? Specifically the quest that gives the rune fountain.

There was a post earlier with a screenshot from Act II showing a bunch of Sa runes. Countess is Act I, no?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jusupov posted:

My crystal can looks sad now

How did you get the +7 to Barbarian skills? Skill master for +4, +1 from the forging, another +1 from forging the jewel, ...?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Garfu posted:

Also, for people building necros: getting the 4 big damage/IAS auras really changes how the summons play. When you have might, annihilation, concentration, and fanaticism, your skeletons will melt everything, especially with these buffs.

Patch notes:
* Summon Damage % tinkering changed from 2/20/240 to 10/100 for chipped/normal Tainted Tourmaline, so that's 40 TT for max summon damage on an item.

I have some questions about this:

(1) Where do you get might and fanaticism auras from? The other two can be forged onto an item, but not those.
(2) The forgings only give 2-7 levels in the appropriate aura; are they affected by +all skills bonuses?
(3) How should I be reading that max summon damage? The max per item is 4000%, and then multiple items can stack? And since 100 chipped TTs is one full TT, it's more crystal efficient to use chipped crystals to reach the summon damage limit?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 27, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Garfu posted:

1) Might and fanaticism can spawn on items with an Of Aurora suffix. The best way to make this happen is by shopbotting for an item with that suffix
2) Aura's spawn on items at level 31, same as aura forging. These levels have been changed on our realm. Aura's are not affected by +skills (except oskill auras or paladin auras)

If I use the Gemword Archdimeron, I get "+10 to Might" and "+10 to Conviction". Is that different from the "of Aurora" suffix? Is one of them affected by +skill bonuses and the other not? I've run through ES to Hell twice, and spent an embarrassingly long time reading information on the wiki, and I still have no idea what, precisely, an oskill is and how to determine what is assisted by what skill/tab bonuses.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Garfu posted:

On-equip were buffed because they are not effected by +all skills. Also in general on-equip are better because you do not have to have the aura active in your skill slot in order for it to be in use, thus you can stack lots of auras on top of each other.... which leads to the 27 states bug.

Ah, I've never played a paladin and never tried serious endgame gear (which is why I've stopped at the start of Hell difficulty both times). So if I had Might as an oskill, I would need to keep it active by placing it in one of my two skill slots? That does temper my excitement for aura skills a bit.

Thanks for the explanation.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Suprfli6 posted:

I think melee would need something that scales with mob HP like Corpse explosion (but isn't CE pretty bad in high /player games since mobs have like 400% more HP and CE doesn't scale with that?) or some sort of AOE that carries weapon damage. MedianXL has a variety of skills that cause small nova AOEs or similar types that are based on weapon damage and it makes melee builds much more competitive.

Never made it to Hell, but on normal and nightmare my golem necro would ruin /p8 cow levels using CE. Just wait for the golems to kill a handful of cows to start the chain reaction, and CE takes care of the rest.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Most of the high-level recipes in Eastern Sun require elixirs. To make an elixir takes a cookbook and a steak. I have seen steaks drop (very rarely) from cows, but in my time playing Eastern Sun I don't think I have ever seen a cookbook drop. Where the hell (possibly literally) do you find cookbooks in this game, and is there a faster way to acquire them than starting a new player, getting to Tristram, and converting the Wirt's Leg?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Edilaic posted:

I feel compelled to mention that I was using these recipes and you don't have to use a Wirt's leg. Any club weapon seems to work.

So I could chit myself some clubs (the lowest type of mace class weapons?) in Normal Act 5, and acquire steaks/cookbooks like that?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Also that you can cube an empty Ore for 3 Fake Notes

That, at least, is in the list of new stuff linked from the OP.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

pokchu posted:

1050 Enigmatic Cinnabar points later...

Is this actually better than some of the set items in the game? Yeah, it's an assload of skill points (and gold find, and lightning damage), but the set items give many more bonuses than just that. You can socket the set item (if it doesn't come with some) and get +2 to class skills through forging; the +7 to all skills would come from tinkering. So you're missing out on +5 to class skills, but you get stuff like 50% chance of crushing blow, +200-300% enhanced damage, and +75 to all resistances.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ckwiesr posted:

What's the best way to get a white staff to make a rune word out of? I had one with the cold skills I wanted, but used a socket donut on it and it changed them to fire skills. It seems like a pain to try and search for elite white items when gambling everything else is so easy. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some sort of recipe or something that would make my life easier since there is just so much to ES.

Is Secret Recipe 2 what you had in mind? Just chit until you get the correct base, then use the recipe.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Can someone repost how to get >1 player in a game on Goontopia? I remember reading it somewhere in the thread, and that it didn't involve creating up to 7 alt accounts, but I don't recall the process.

Fake edit: and maybe add it to the OP?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Garfu, can you take a look at the Golem Mastery skill? It's showing me +10 damage for my current level, and +10 damage for the next level. Shouldn't the damage increase as I put more points into the skill?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Garfu posted:

How recently did you download the MPQ?

The tooltip may also just be messed up, it calculates correctly.

My MPQ is dated December 4th. But it's reassuring to hear that it may be a tooltip issue.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There's a thread in the Goontopia forum about rushing and how it works. Try reading that and see if it makes more sense.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have a Horadric Scroll in my inventory that I can't interact with (I'm well past Act II). Is there any reason not to drop it somewhere?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

IDK about that. I have the max +skills I can get without maxing out the +1 tinkers (btw FURIOUS that changing points only shifts 1 level, which makes points farther from EnCin worth less and less) and I can see wanting an Eth weapon before I get those tinkers in place, which does cap my skills.

Hey, Garfu, can you add targeted conversion recipes?

Ore Stocker
Maple Leaf
Chipped [ore]/Blemished gem
---> Converts 120/10 points of currently selected type to type [ore]

----

Edit: JFC, it literally never occurred to me that the portal to Tristram in Stony Fields stayed open. I genuinely thought that Tristram was a one-shot deal all this time I've played Eastern Sun. You learn something new every day!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I can feel myself falling into the same rut that ended me last time I played the game. There are too many options at high levels (late NM and Hell) for me to actively evaluate which equipment is best for me. My current character is a golemancer, so +skills and summon damage is a must. The Nupraptor's Keep set (weapon/shield/helm) leaves both rings, the amulet, and most importantly the body slot open. (Going to use gloves/boots/belt on three Goldarks for now.)

But what to put in the armor slot? A unique? A non-magic item full of jewels? A runeword? I can't even come up with a way to measure how effective or important the options are, let alone actually make a decision and work toward it.

Edit: another question since nobody's responded. If I upgrade a ritualistic dagger to a sacrificial dagger using the base upgrade recipe, can I convert the upgraded item to the set sacrificial dagger using secret recipe 25? I won't get to try for a while, but it would make my life a lot easier if I could just pick up a sacrificial dagger and a demon head.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 19, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
For the sake of science, you can do the following in this order:

(1) find normal magic item
(2) upgrade to exceptional magic item
(3) craft exceptional item using the upgraded base
(4) use secret recipe 24 to make a unique item; I don't have secret recipe 25 yet, but I would imagine it works the same way

So you can indeed go normal magic to exceptional unique.

Edit:

Thanks for this. I had basically given up on runewords in contrast to unique bonuses or jewels. I am also glad you pointed out that new unique armor; once I get to level 80 and figure out a way to craft it I'll be golden.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 19, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Are there any non-ctc items that break physical immunes or do I basically need Amplify Damage / Decrepify?

e: actually that would probably help Melee and non-elemental builds, wouldn't it? -X% enemy physical resist? Is getting something like that possible?

Check out the Wraith Shroud in the New Stuff page of recipes. No clue how to get it besides a random drop, but I had Deviant Cell drop for me last night (:buddy:) so I guess anything is possible.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ruggan posted:

I've seen that... will that break physical immune? Not exactly sure on how immune stacks up against resist.

It takes 5 points of lowered resistance to take 1 point of immunity (>=100% resistance). So you'd need 25% lowered resistance for a monster with 5% immunity to whatever element. I have no idea how high the immunity to physical damage goes; I think I remember reading that mobs can have as high as 25% immunity to individual elements, but hell if I remember where I saw it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I'm playing this on a laptop of not unreasonable specs but I'm getting so laggy gameplay, and sometimes it'll freeze for a few seconds and then rush to get back to date. I'm not using a wrapper on this computer, would that help the performance?

I assumed it was a spike in latency between my computer and the server. I've died because of that. My screen showed me running away from a (stationary) enemy attacking me, but I kept losing life; when I died and got back to my body, it was next to the enemy and not the screen away where my laptop had showed me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Hmmkay can anyone post a nice long effort post like the lightning barb one on the goontopia forums, but for WF druid? :v:

My initial gut sense is "WF, tornado, all points into associated skills, get some oak sage so you live", combined with "get some way to break cold res, like conv merc and maybe oskill AC?" and...that's all I got. Any gear suggestions for early to midgame, endgame, anything I missed, any other oskills that are essential other than teleport?

White Aura stones now give level 30 Conviction on equip. Just sayin'.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Grifter posted:

I've been thinking about this and have some of the pieces, I'm open to suggestions. I'll list this in the order of item - thing to do to make it good - thing to do on top if you're a nutty poopsocker.

Weapon: 6 OS elite 1H weapon (Jeweler's), 6X Shaved Dice - forge all the dice and the weapon with +1 to your skills, dstone for cold damage - tinker to +7.

Head: Thief Runeword - ... - Double ptopaz gem meld
Torso: 6 OS elite robe (Jeweler's) with cold mastery, 6X Shaved Dice - forge all the dice and the armor with +1 to all skills, dstone for all res - tinker to +7
Shield: 4 OS elite shield, of Shielding mod

What does OS mean? Open socket? You can't create a magical item with 6 sockets, so you have to rely on random drops or shopbot? Also, can you only runeword a non-magical item? The last time I tried I couldn't, but I didn't experiment exhaustively.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Target Practice posted:

Anybody else been having failure to join game errors when creating games? Keeps happening across all characters, even after game/computer restarts.

Same here. I can't do anything.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Garfu, I was hoping to test this last night but couldn't for obvious reasons: is there a recipe in the game that goes

Multistocker, Wirt's Leg, Scroll of Town Portal
->
Multistocker, converts 56 Ancient Decipherer points to 1 Cookbook point

If not, could you add it?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So, uh, this works:

(1) Craft Normal item
(2) Convert to Unique of that type using scroll 4
(3) Upgrade to Exceptional or Elite base type
(4) Repeat twice more
(5) Cube all three to get Set item of Exceptional/Elite base type
(Would probably work in reverse direction with scroll 5 to get the unique item of the upgraded type, but I can't be bothered to test right now)

This is almost surely more expensive than gambling in Nightmare, but it may be both faster and cheaper than Hell. All this because scroll 25 just refuses to drop for me. :shepspends: (:shepicide:)

Edit: poo poo. It's gotta be cheaper to just gamble the base Normal Unique items than to spend the gems on crafting/converting them.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 25, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

These steps costs 2 Dstones and a million gold. You are probably better off just chitting for that particular unique from Anya in normal.

Yeah, by "gamble" above I meant "chit".

And I can now confirm that the reverse process, of base-upgraded Sets into a Unique, also works.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I used scroll 6 to turn a crafted amulet into a Layers of Abstraction. It's level 85, and I'm not. I would gladly trade it for something. Would love to get my hands on a scroll 30, a Cursed Donut, or a Plague's Last Arrowhead (I figure eventually I will find a scroll 39).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is it possible to migrate character data from the server to a single player local game?

Edit: and keep all the server-specific new recipes?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 29, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Garfu posted:

Yes character data can be migrated using the savefix tool on Brahmin's site, but you lose some of the online only features like respeccing and some other stuff. It can be re-added though with some googling.

We had a bunch of patches that helped out in a bunch of areas and we had a total of 368 accounts created. Not too bad!

Thanks.

How can we keep the server-side content that you added? The new recipes for crystal conversion, the changes to ore/scroll drop rates, the changes to aura stones, etc.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Garfu posted:

It's a long terrible process and you should consider playing single player and getting the plugy fixes for multistash and using one of the tools on the wiki for respeccing.

Speaking of, is using your changes in single player as simple as dropping a few .mpq files in my base directory? Edit: holy crap, there are six copies of Patch_D2.mpq in the various folders.

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this. I will enjoy finally being able to work through Hell difficulty, even if it's just in single player mode.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 3, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Couple of questions:

(1) When I save a character in single-player mode, four files get created in my D2 directory: $NAME.d2s, $NAME.key, $NAME.ma0, and $NAME.map. I only see one file associated with each character in the Goontopia data, with no filetype extension. Which file is it, and what do I do about the other three files?

(2) Garfu, I started poking around the patch MPQ file and looking at the recipes. Most of them are pretty self-explanatory, but what does "Trap" at the start of a description mean? It's used all over cubemain.txt, while pretty much everything else is localized to a specific part of the file.

(3) Another question for you, Garfu. If I make changes to the .txt files in the mpq, do I need to compile those changes into the .bin file somehow?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 4, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So, I've copied all the files (.ma0, etc.) from D2/save/Goontopia to D2/save/ on my machine, copied the $NAME file from Goontopia/Data/charinfo/grundulum, and renamed it $NAME.d2s. I see the character in the single-player list, but when I try to start a game with it I get the same "Unable to create game" error message no matter what difficulty I select. Is that because I played on the Goontopia server last night, so my $NAME.d2s file has an earlier timestamp than the associated files stored locally?

Edit: yup, it's that. I just tried the same process with a character that hasn't been touched since before the Goontopia zip file was uploaded, and everything worked fine. Garfu, do you mind emailing the most recent copy of /Data/charinfo/grundulum/argo to the email address associated with my account? Thanks in advance.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Double post with additional information.

(1) Every single recipe with "Trap" in its description has "void" as an output, except one. That one is "tokn,mag"+jew+dstn+gem5, (token from a magical item, any jewel, a dragon stone, and a perfect gem), which converts to "usetype,crf" (a crafted item of the same type). I can't test this right now, but I'd be really interested to see if this apparently overlooked recipe still works.

(2) The "op" column in cubemain.txt means "operation". Had to do a bit of wayback diving to get this, but,
https://web.archive.org/web/20071116103213/http://phrozenkeep.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16632

quote:

op      Skip recipe if ...
--------------------------------------------------------
1      DayOfMonth is less than Param or greater than Value
2      DayOfWeek != Value ( 1 = Sunday, ...)

~~~~~~ 10519 ~~~~~~~~~~ Stat.Accr

3      player stat(param) < value
4      player stat(param) > value
5      player stat(param) = value
6      player stat(param) ! value

~~~~~~ 10521 ~~~~~~~~~ Stat.Base

7      player stat(param) < value
8      player stat(param) > value
9      player stat(param) = value
10      player stat(param) ! value

~~~~~~ 10522 ~~~~~~~~~ Stat.Bonus (accr - base)

11      player stat(param) < value
12      player stat(param) > value
13      player stat(param) = value
14      player stat(param) ! value

Fail Item if ...
--------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~ 10519 ~~~~~~~~~

15      item stat(param) < value
16      item stat(param) > value
17      item stat(param) = value
18      item stat(param) ! value

~~~~~~ 10521 ~~~~~~~~~

19      item stat(param) < value
20      item stat(param) > value
21      item stat(param) = value
22      item stat(param) ! value

~~~~~~ 10522 ~~~~~~~~~

23      item stat(param) < value
24      item stat(param) > value
25      item stat(param) = value
26      item stat(param) ! value

27      pItem->OtherID != value
28      pItem->QuestDiff < ptGame->Diff
          (only checked if Quest and QuestDiffCheck are 1)
[Grundulum addition: operation 28 is only used one time in the game: to show the lighting effect when the Horadric Staff is made]

(3) The "param" values mentioned in the column and in the above table come from ItemStatCost.txt. For example, parameter 202 is a flag for whether the item has been forged already. Coupons and rerolls are typically handled by parameter 203, item_randomize, which appears to take on values between 0 and 511. As an aside, I'm not crazy for thinking the scroll reroll distribution was non-uniform. Scrolls 1-10 (21-30) are more than twice as likely to come up as scrolls 21-30 (41-50).

• Locked thread