Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Thanks to a combination of the unexpectedly popular Dragonball Xenoverse and a new anime series in Dragonball Super, there's a lot of Dragonball games these days! This thread is for like all of them. All of those games. Congrats to Dragon Ball, you made it, you've got good games now. And some mediocre ones but the big ones are pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBI0MU73nlc

This game has an English dub.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z is a 3v3, 2D fighting game inspired by the Marvel VS Capcom series and made by Arc System Works, who are experienced fighting game developers with some seriously fantastic graphical chops. Every time a new Dragon Ball game comes out, people scramble to be the first one to say "wow, it really looks just like the show!", but this is the first time where that's actually, genuinely true. Wow, it really looks just like the show!

So how does this differ from other Dragon Ball fighting games? Well it's a bit more traditional. There don't seem to be on-the-fly transformations for most of the roster, with characters just being their 'iconic' look as their base form. So Cell is just Perfect Cell all the time, Gohan is always SSJ2, Vegeta and Trunks are Super Saiyans all the time, and Goku fights as a Super Saiyan but has a super move where he'll go SSJ3 just for the super itself and then immediately drop back to SSJ. Frieza however has a 'transformation super', where he can blow meter to turn into Golden Frieza for a limited time. It's very possible other characters will have that sort of form-changing super where appropriate, but they're not just throwing it on everyone. The fighting itself is very fast, fluid, and aerial, but there's no on-demand flight ability or standing around powering up to charge your super meter. The game plays much more like a Marvel VS Capcom game than it does something like the DBZ Budokai series, which is honestly really good. There's some expectation that this could be a big game for the competitive fighting game community which would be very cool.

Yes, there will be a story mode. No, we do not know how big the roster will be.

This game is scheduled for release in 2018 on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. There will be a console-only beta test sometime in late 2017.

Will it be good?

Early impressions say yes. The game doesn't just look good in motion, but it plays incredibly well, and people have had a lot of hands-on time with a limited 6-character demo. There's already a lot of variety in how characters play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnUbg-9v_bE

This game has an English dub.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (PC, Xbox One, Playstation 4) is, unsurprisingly, the sequel to DB Xenoverse 1. In it you will make your own character as part of the 'Time Patrol', a group led by the Supreme Kai of Time and Future Trunks that's devoted to making sure history isn't altered by the forces of evil. Compared to the first game, there's more characters from the DBZ movies like Turles and Cooler this time around.

The game's playstyle falls somewhere between a fighting game and an action-RPG. While there's things like combos, counters, blocking, crossups, hitstun, etc, the game is more about properly equipping your character with different gear and abilities, as well as earning and assigning stat points to grow stronger.

Your character can be a Human, Saiyan, Namekian, Majin (like Buu) or a 'Frieza Race'. Each of these species gets their own special 'transformation' for combat. Saiyans of course go Super Saiyan 1/2/3, Frieza Race folks get to go Golden, Namekians can turn into a Giant Namekian, Majins get access to their 'pure form' (Kid Buu), and Humans weirdly enough get the power pole and flying nimbus.

If you played the first game, you can import your character into Xenoverse 2 and they'll appear as an important NPC throughout the game's story, continuing to work as Trunks' partner while you do other stuff with your new dude. It's pretty fun.

While the game itself covers the storyline from the arrival of Raditz up through the two most recent movies (Battle of Gods and Revivial of F), it's getting DLC that involves the new Dragonball Super series and storylines from that, including cool stuff like SSJGSSJ Goku with Kaioken and everyone's favorite new Vegeta, Hit. This is the first time a lot of these characters from Dragon Ball Super have had english voice acting which is fun too.

Is it good?

Yeah. It reduces a lot of the first game's infamous grind and randomness in favor of making it a lot easier to get new equips and unlocks. The combat also feels a lot better now, and super armor has basically been removed from boss fights in favor of just reducing the damage players deal to those enemies. If you liked the first game, XV2 is definitely worth picking up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpW-UZmp5U

This game has English subtitles, but Japanese voicework.

Dragonball Fusions (3DS) is a turn-based RPG that's, like the title might tell you, heavily based around the idea of fusion. You'll make your own character and build up a large roster of allies Pokemon-style as you progress through the game's story, battling all sorts of weirdness in a world where time essentially has no meaning. Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, Dragonball Super, and the various movies all exist simultaneously and you'll be running into characters from all of those series. And mashing them together into some familiar and some totally bizzare fusions.

The player character races available are different from Xenoverse. You can be a Earthling, Saiyan, Namekian, 'Offworlder', or 'Alien'. 'Offworlder' as a category covers things like Majins and Kais, a sort of 'magic race' category. 'Alien' covers things resembling the Ginyu Force or other random alien species- the more 'sci-fi' races. The game classifies half-saiyans like Gohan or Trunks as 'Earthling' as well, but if you want to be able to use the Super Saiyan skill on your main dude (something not unlocked until the post-game) you should pick Saiyan for your custom character's race.

The player character can fuse with any other character in the game. This includes other player characters, which you can do through Streetpass fusions. Canonical Dragonball characters can do any fusion you might be familiar with from the series or movies, as well as a lot of other fusions like Tiencha from Budokai 2 (now going by his Japanese name Yamhan) and a lot of entirely new fusions. So if you want to see Arale fuse with Android 18, Vegeta fuse with Yamcha, Cell fuse with Frieza, or Beerus fuse with Whis, this game can scratch that itch. And plenty more. (it's also possible to fuse any character with any character via streetpass, but that relies on some setup with other local players to coordinate if you want to do specific things for it)

Combat is turn-based and works like a combination of a traditional RPG and playing marbles. When an attack is successful, the character who takes damage will get knocked away, potentially pinballing around into other characters or out of bounds. If they hit one of their own allies, that character will be knocked back as well. If they hit one of their enemies, they will get knocked away and take additional damage. If they get knocked out of bounds, they'll take a large amount of damage and return to the field (if they're still alive) but get knocked down to the bottom of the turn order and have to wait longer to take additional actions.

As of Feb 13th 2017 this game's gotten a major update that adds a lot of online functionality, including multiplayer battles and skill trading, as well as some other new stuff.

However, that update will also add some more Dragonball Super characters from the Zamasu Saga, including some cool new fusions. So you can fuse Future Trunks with Kid Trunks to get EX TRUNKS

Is it good?

The turn-based combat is a lot of fun and has a lot of positioning-based strategy involved to keep things interesting even later in the game. Every match ends up feeling pretty unique, due to the variety of opponents and a decent amount of differently sized and shaped arenas to battle in, as well as different combat rules in a lot of side-quests. The team-building is fun too, with a lot of options opening up as you explore the world and recruit and fuse more teammates. If you've got a 3DS and like Dragonball it's definitely worth checking out. Personally I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I have either of the Xenoverse games.

There's a ton of dudes to recruit in this game, where and how do I get them all?

The game will tell you how to recruit people once you're able to do so (not until the 3rd world), but finding specific dudes can be a pain. So here's a list of who you can recruit, where to get them, and if they're only available in the post-game. Good luck!

OTHER GAMES

Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle (iOS/Android)

Dokkan Battle is a F2P game with turn-based combat. I personally enjoy it a lot but if you want to be top-tier it can get pretty spendy. There's a thread specifically for it and other F2P anime phone games over here. But feel free to discuss it in this thread too.

Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (3DS)

This is a middle-of-the-road fighting game that I don't know a ton about but haven't heard people being real big on. In Japan it's soon going to recieve an update to allow cross-game multiplayer with a One Piece fighting game. It is probably not wholly terrible? But it doesn't sound great. There's a free demo on the eShop where you can try it out for yourself.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection (Xbox 360, Playstation 3)

This game is not backwards-compatible on the Xbox One or PS4 yet which makes me sad. Includes Budokai 1 and Budokai 3, but not Budokai 2 for some reason. All the music was also replaced because the original composer was found to be plagarizing a lot of it.

Dragon Ball Heroes (Arcade)

This is an arcade game we will never get in the US. It has a ton of crazy stuff like Super Saiyan 4 Broly, Super 17 absorbing 18, and is basically where the whole Super Saiyan Bardock thing came from. It gets a lot of new content basically as fast as they can make up new forms for people to have. It's weird!

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdvY7eoKs4Y

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait whats the difference between turles and goku black

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Xenoverse 2 is the best DBZ game ever made

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Xenoverse 2 is pretty awesome, if filled with dumb design decisions like the Expert Missions and incredibly dumb Raid timings.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 14, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

spit on my clit posted:

No difference, they are both dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

Turles just looks like Goku, Goku Black is Goku.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also I would have suggested 'The Super Dragon Balls enabled me to cheat death! HOW CAN THIS BE!?' for the title if it weren't too long.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

all of the gete star suggestions were like a full sentence too long unfortunately

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure Appule is constantly being resurrected by the Dragon Balls because I've killed him for Guru countless times now.

Who the hell keeps bringing him back?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going to come in with the hot take that Xenoverse 1&2 are bad games that, despite this, are still incredibly fun to play. There's all sorts of translation and voice acting issues, there's enemies clipping through floors and other map issues, entire swaths of powers are unusably bad, the networking is unspeakably bad, and yet despite it all it's fun as hell to make your own original Goku do not steal and pound in literally everyone's faces. There's really nothing at all like them.

Here's hoping Fusions is even half as fun.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Dragon Ball Z fuckin owns guys

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I love Xenoverse 2 to death but

Expert Mission 15 can go ahead and eat my poop

edit: right out of my butt, in fact

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Asimo posted:

I'm going to come in with the hot take that Xenoverse 1&2 are bad games that, despite this, are still incredibly fun to play. There's all sorts of translation and voice acting issues, there's enemies clipping through floors and other map issues, entire swaths of powers are unusably bad, the networking is unspeakably bad, and yet despite it all it's fun as hell to make your own original Goku do not steal and pound in literally everyone's faces. There's really nothing at all like them.

Here's hoping Fusions is even half as fun.

So basically it's about as Dragon Ball as could possibly be.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

So basically it's about as Dragon Ball as could possibly be.
:agreed:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"NAAAAIIIL. Appule left a bag of flaming dog poop on my front steps agaaaaain. Summon a Time Patroller and kick his rear end."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I tried Dokkan Battle for a few days and almost filled an SSR deck. I quit because my luck was too good and taking me away from my other games. Went to vote and then work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fusions has a Chiaotzu/Saibaman fusion, which is the greatest thing ever and was the deciding factor in me wanting it.

Also, Girl Ginyu Force.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I tried asking this in the last thread, was hoping for some clarification so I don't get too far in the game and realize I chose the wrong XV1 avatar to port over:

the_steve posted:

Finally getting to play my copy of the game.
Quick Question: When I transfer my XV1 character, I know I'll get whatever they're wearing/skills they have, but what about all of the other clothes and skills? Is there any point during the game to get them back? Either by buying them or unlocking them somehow?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

the_steve posted:

I tried asking this in the last thread, was hoping for some clarification so I don't get too far in the game and realize I chose the wrong XV1 avatar to port over:

From what I've seen so far all the clothes and skills from XV1 are in XV2, but if they weren't currently equipped to your XV1 character, you have to get them all over again through buying or quests.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Just unlocked the Super God Fist move. It's rad.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

From what I've seen so far all the clothes and skills from XV1 are in XV2, but if they weren't currently equipped to your XV1 character, you have to get them all over again through buying or quests.

This guy is correct.

Do not grind for more than 1 set of clothes in XV1.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Honestly, don't grind. AFAIK every single thing you can get in Xenoverse 1 can be gotten just as easily or even easier in Xenoverse 2, thanks to all the mechanic changes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I tried Dokkan Battle for a few days and almost filled an SSR deck. I quit because my luck was too good and taking me away from my other games. Went to vote and then work.

Thanks a lot, Scalding Coffee, you ruined it for all of us.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Yeah just dress your goku up in something pretty and transfer to xenoverse 2, as its pretty much objectively better and super fun.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Expert/raid missions are pretty much the worst but I've been enjoying the PVP in xenoverse 2 more than any other (pseudo) fighting game since maybe dark souls 1.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's the point of the Majin transformation? I hate it and it kills all my stamina.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

18s Deadly Dance skill is wonderful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's the point of the Majin transformation? I hate it and it kills all my stamina.
The vanishing ball moves are insanely good if you're a Blast Super build.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the transformation is useful if you're like me and you just dump all the points into stamina and take a ^5 stamina QQ Bang

pretty much it turns you into Kid Buu but you retain your stats. it'd really be better if it didnt drain your stamina, i don't get why it does. I like the transformation for closing in on enemies and stomping the poo poo out of them (plus the vanish balls), but other than that its not too great compared to any other form.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Big Gete Star is being attacked!

The Kid Buu transformation is to give some reason not to play a Majin.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Does anyone remember the legacy of goku games for the gba, those were pretty fun

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Something to "fix" in Xenoverse 3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TWIST FIST posted:

Does anyone remember the legacy of goku games for the gba, those were pretty fun
the second and third were fun

the first was terrible

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

yeah

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

The company is developing a 4th LoG to pitch to Funimation. It looks terrible

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Veg posted:

The company is developing a 4th LoG to pitch to Funimation. It looks terrible

What would that even cover? Battle of Gods? Super?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you go to their facebook it looks like they want to make a full 3D version of legacy of goku 1.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I'm pretty sure Appule is constantly being resurrected by the Dragon Balls because I've killed him for Guru countless times now.

Who the hell keeps bringing him back?

Guru.

He enjoys seeing you and Appule suffer.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If Appule actually gets the Dragon Balls, Lord Freeza will let him form the Appule Force with Rasperry, Orlen, Banan, and Napple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
anyone else having weird problems where your golden freezaperson will just do their transformation pose randomly like mid-combo and gently caress you

• Locked thread