Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah I was involved with some leftist third parties when I was younger and stupider. It wasn't a very positive experience. Anyone I knew from those days who was worth a drat and is still active in politics is either working for the Dems or left-leaning nonprofit.

Third parties are trapped in a feedback loop where they have no influence so no one smart or ambitious joins them, so they have no influence, and so on. They also have all (or often more) of the dysfunction of the major parties and none of the actual power. They are not worth your time for the most part. Attempting to pull your local Democratic Party branch in a better direction is a probably a better use of your effort.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
No, if you think violence against people purely on political opinion is bad you are a weak bitch baby liberal, unlike me, the totally cool and extreme rugged masculine communist, who is just too hardore for you to handle.

Shitposting aside, I've done some organizing in rural/exurban counties, and I'll write up a few things that have/ haven't worked worked for me later when I get home.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I have some free time, so I'll get started with the main thing that I took away, the rest when I get home.

Ok, a couple of practical bits of stuff that worked for me. I was working for an organization that pushed environmental issues/ some tax increases in a normally conservative part of CA. Here's one of the things that worked for me

Don't talk about "the environment" or "the planet", but about the impacts on people

Talking about "saving the planet" (or the polar bears, or endangered tree snails) can bounce off of people who've learned to associate that with crazy hippies/democrats/etc. But if you talk about how their county has one of the highest rates of asthma in children in the country, they'll loving listen. Especially if you can give them hard facts (40% increase in lung cancer for example), and a plan of action (elect new members to the Air Quality Management District who will do something about it). Always do whatever you can to make the effects concrete and real to them, to their families. This is isn't about saving the planet, we couldn't kill the planet if we wanted to, it's about keeping it a place where we can live comfortably. Frame it as though you could give less of a poo poo about the sea turtles, it's the children you're worried about.

This presumes you're in an area that's somewhat hostile territory to these kind of ideas, rather than a place like the bay area.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 16, 2016

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
There's a certain kind of person more concerned with getting Radical Points(tm) then actually changing poo poo and they're unfortunately not uncommon in activist communities.

Just ignore them and don't let them drive the narrative.

• Locked thread