Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also I want to say that I'm immensely grateful that the subtitles are immediately on as soon as you begin the game. Because Donald is incomprehensible with voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Was 2004 the 'turn videogame franchises into cards' era? I just recently started replaying PSO Episode 3, which turned the series temporarily into a turn-based tactical grid battle thingy (with cards naturally).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Between Mega Man Battle Network, Lost Kingdoms, Baten Kaitos, and Metal Gear Acid, yeah I'd say so

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's because the forbidden card game was all the rage at the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since I haven't said this, I'm gonna go ahead and toss out that I'm super looking forward to this LP because I was a dumb kid when I played it and also a dumb but not-quite-as-old me when I went through the game again some years ago. Still thought the dialogue was pretty decent so you know I'm in a bad place.

Golden Goat posted:

It's because the forbidden card game was all the rage at the time.

Anyone remember Duel Masters?!

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
There was a Monster Rancher card game for the gameboy that I still occasionally start every once in a while when I want to do something weird.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, wait a minute, this is all Pokemon's fault.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pocket Monsters, or Poker Monsters? :aaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Pocket Monsters, or Poker Monsters? :aaa:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I know very little of KH beyond 1. Somehow the rest passed me by.

Same for card games. They were banned from my high school for being EVIL so I just never got into them. :(

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really appreciate the man teleporting around for the sole purpose of loving with Sora. It's pretty much what I would do with superpowers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My school mostly collected DBZ cards. Didn't play any games with them, just collected them.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Timeline is:1 into Chain of Memories into 2 into WHO CARES because the story got so hosed up and complicated that only that retard Nomoura knows anymore and he's too busy snorting all the crack from this cash cow he's made to make 3.

Also I refute the game being trash, it's perfectly serviceable as long as you ignore the entirety of the retarded story in it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

When Tetsuya Nomura snorts cocaine, it's in the form of a zipper.

I tried to find a Magic: the Gathering card with a heart on it, but I failed. D'oh well.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Kemix posted:

Timeline is:1 into Chain of Memories into 2 into WHO CARES because the story got so hosed up and complicated that only that retard Nomoura knows anymore and he's too busy snorting all the crack from this cash cow he's made to make 3.

Also I refute the game being trash, it's perfectly serviceable as long as you ignore the entirety of the retarded story in it.

:eyepop:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

When Tetsuya Nomura snorts cocaine, it's in the form of a zipper.

I tried to find a Magic: the Gathering card with a heart on it, but I failed. D'oh well.

GIS "magic: the gathering heart" (without the quotes). Curse of the Pierced Heart, Golem's Heart, Dark heart(sic) of the Wood have a heart or heart-like thing in the art, at least in certain iterations of the cards.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

:popeye:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone remember Duel Masters?!

I do. Only consistently good TCG out there anymore.

This game's battle system is actually really broken if you analyze it. I once beat this game without ever increasing my HP. Turns out the game is ten times easier if you do that. What kind of sense does that make?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

yo, let's cool it on talking about other card games btw and try to keep poo poo on-point.

either way, though, next update should be up Monday 6 PM EST/11 PM GMT.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't get why people are down on this game so much. You do combat using an entire deck of people and objects trapped in miniature Phantom Zones! What's not to love?

Also, you can just shove your friends into a card when you're sick of them anytime you want.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The game just wasn't fun to play, especially on the gba. It's boring and repetitive and really only Kingdom Hearts fans would actually put up with it.

And say what you will about the plot but back in '04 all we knew about kingdom hearts was in the first game, Nomura was good and could do no wrong, and pants with more than 3 sets of zippers where cool.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

and here's a better look at our daring duo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

OmanyteJackson posted:

And say what you will about the plot but back in '04 all we knew about kingdom hearts was in the first game, Nomura was good and could do no wrong, and pants with more than 3 sets of zippers where cool.

I'm still in the "pants with more than 3 sets of zippers are cool" phase. God help me, I love this dumb series.

I haven't played this game, so I'm definitely looking forward to Kingdom Cards

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What about Donald's hat, that's basically a zipper delivery system?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FutureFriend posted:

3. No Yu-Gi-Oh jokes. Everyone has heard your Heart of the Cards joke buddy, I ain't wanna hear it again.

This card is The Fool. It represents Goofy.

And Donald.

And Sora.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FutureFriend posted:

Both the remake and the GBA version received positive reviews, although the most of the acclaim was in regards to the GBA version's presentation, with many finding its combat system unwieldy.
And this is why you need to actually read the content of a review instead of just taking the score at face value (see also: Ghostbusters 2016 reviews- the ones I read had good scores but came off as lukewarm endorsements). I play video games for the gameplay, not for the presentation.

Maybe if they made this into a Heroclix ripoff it would have been better.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 21, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

it is time to learn more about... cards...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"I'm just a coyote Final Fantasy character. I can't help you any further." -Aerith

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

*heals Axel, like, 3 times during a fight*

"We'll protect you, Sora!"

And good God I forgot how boring this game is, it's the only KH that I ever quit and I don't even regret it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, Donald was probably thinking Axel is some part of Sora's subconscious, or the metaphysical representation of his medulla oblongota and wanted to avoid Sora from causing his own braindeath.

Or Donald is an idiot.

Also, all the talk about slightly different expressions of the boss cards just made me think of this.
Behold, the secret boss's ultimate attack:

Magnum

White Coke
May 29, 2015
In between helping out Sora, Donald is reliving his time as a Navy SEAL. The memories of all the people he killed for America, and all those who died under his command still haunt him and make it difficult for Donald to take another life, so subconsciously he was trying not to kill Axel but save him instead. And yes, Donald is the one who killed Bin Laden.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's really weird that they recolored some of the Heartless bosses (the armor was different colors in the other LP, it's purple here) for KH1 Final Mix, but then didn't recolor them for Re:Chain of Memories. And then they put them together into 1.5 Remix, and still didn't change them..........even though they're on the same disc???????

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I played against a guy whose card sleeves just had a photo of his own face on them at the last Magic prerelease. It was weird.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The exp having to be collected was something I never liked. Especially since it can disappear.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I liked Axel more before he had voice acting and hot memes

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's that time again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Color Printer posted:

It's really weird that they recolored some of the Heartless bosses (the armor was different colors in the other LP, it's purple here) for KH1 Final Mix, but then didn't recolor them for Re:Chain of Memories. And then they put them together into 1.5 Remix, and still didn't change them..........even though they're on the same disc???????

The armor was originally purple in the normal non Final Mix KH game so that's what they went with here.

I was kinda hoping that' they'd take the opportunity to fix some of the problems in the GBA version here but I guess that didn't happen. Like bringing out Donald and Goofy- who are extremely useful now that they don't have health bars to lose- having a charge up animation for some reason.

I hope we go to the Pride Lands so we can ask why we got Simba and not the much better fighter, Nala.

I also hope you guys get specific about what things you think could've been done better with this card system as the LP goes on.

Also, who else do you think will be a summon, people in this thread?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"Once you understand how to play it's not fun anymore" is probably the most succinct explanation of the problems with Re:CoM's battle system I've read. It's completely accurate.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

sidenote: i should give credit where credit is due and say all of y'all should watch Jon Bois' Pretty Good episode on poker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

holy poo poo

• Locked thread