Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was never sure if we were supposed to think they were amazing in the original series. Amy Sherman certainly seems to like them for some reason. Also gently caress that Australian guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Weren't they based off some real english club in a university? They are still absolutely insufferable but I think they at least have a reason to be if they're based on a real group of rich babies looking for thrills.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah all those elite schools have groups like that. Harvard has final clubs Yale has stuff like Skull and Bones.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

First real exposure with Gilmore Girls from the new Netflix series and ...Luke, Lorelai's mom and Kirk are the best characters in these series right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Lorelai and Emily

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Actually Emily and Paris and Kirk

I'm still REALLY pissed they broke up Paris and Doyle and didn't offer any resolution :mad:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's Babette, Miss Patty and Michel ofc.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

esperterra posted:

It's Babette, Miss Patty and Michel ofc.

You gotta give it a little, sugah!

Babs and Morry are my favorite townies. I was pushed out of a moving car once!

TV Zombie posted:

First real exposure with Gilmore Girls from the new Netflix series

Actually I'm curious, do you care to post a little more on what you thought of it, from an outsider's perspective?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 27, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hope and vaseline posted:

When Lorelai gives Rory poo poo for her lame kiss with Jess, and then Babs gives Rory poo poo too from a different table. So good.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Actually I'm curious, do you care to post a little more on what you thought of it, from an outsider's perspective?

Just finished episode 1 on it. As soon as I get through the 4 episodes and think about what I thought, I'll post something up.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

esperterra posted:

When Lorelai gives Rory poo poo for her lame kiss with Jess, and then Babs gives Rory poo poo too from a different table. So good.

Yup. Babs and Morey are the best and I only wish my wife and I end up like them.

Second favorite moment from them: dance marathon. All right I'm done! Yup! And then they just scoot off. It's wonderful.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I've never seen the show, but a friend mentioned "the last four words" a few days ago and I immediately thought how do you say I'm pregnant in 4 words , I'm glad I didn't say anything

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Actually Emily and Paris and Kirk

I'm still REALLY pissed they broke up Paris and Doyle and didn't offer any resolution :mad:
Doyle was still in their NYC place in the last scene he was in talking to Rory on the phone.

Edited with spoiler tags just in case.

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 27, 2016

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I clapped and laughed at the final four words because some people guessed them and some people said there was no way that would be how it ended.

Rory really is a disaster. Emily is the best and I'm really pleased overall with Loralei's arc. Lack of Sookie and the chef saga was pretty stupid but Michele was handled well I think.

Overall I liked it but it did seem like maybe ASP wrote the basic outlines for seasons 7-8 years ago and used them when writing this. I think it suffers a bit from that but not enough to stop my enjoyment of the series overall.

I think I'll always be team Jess.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
for me this felt like they were both excessively self-indulgent and too concerned with fanservice to do anything worth a drat in the long run

like if this is it then gently caress this revival and how much time they wasted on, dare i go full emily and say it, bullshit

and they way they ruined rory felt both earned, deserved, and loving nonsense

i'm not saying it didn't affect me emotionally at times but so much of this was garbage

like seriously this was not good overall

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

nah it was p. good.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Rory seemed pretty much the same to me. Worshipped by Stars Hollow but not really comfortable in the real world. Chilton guy probably gave the best advice. Rory always had a problem with a narrow focus of her future and she was told she was brilliant but didn't really have the chops to back it up.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

How on Earth could anyone who watched the series think this was an assassination of Rory? Once she graduates from Chilton (and even a bit before that) she is a genuinely horrific human being. She cheats on every boyfriend (at least emotionally) and embodies the worst excesses and privileges of both her mom and her grandparents.

Rory is a total disaster and ASP rightly doubled-down on it.

As a huge GG fan I thought it was more or less fine. My random thoughts:

- It was so weird that Lorelai was the only one who didn't like the musical. That struck me as incredibly out of character--she would at least like it ironically. She and Rory basically live for quasi-ironic enjoyment of poo poo like that (she and sookie went through the twyckem house museum something like 5 times for gods sake)

- Melissa McCarthy completely missed the mark trying to get back into Sookie. She was easily the worst at trying to get back into the character

- ASP is pretty clearly a Jess fan--he's by far the most well adjusted of the Rory boyfriends and with the lingering camera shot towards the end there's definitely a bit of him becoming Rory's Luke

- Why on loving earth did they bring back the Life and Death Brigade? That whole sequence was a total disaster

- Why not have Rory settle down and turn the Stars Hollow Gazette into a thing? I just fundamentally don't understand how the arc for Rory wasn't her moving from overworked psycho back to "her roots" in Stars Hollow.

So many odd decisions and I think it has to come from ASP wanting to re-litigate season 7 instead of writing a real extension. The Rory who leaves town in the series finale is simply not the woman who starts the revival, but she IS the Rory who ended season 6.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waffles Inc. posted:

- It was so weird that Lorelai was the only one who didn't like the musical. That struck me as incredibly out of character--she would at least like it ironically. She and Rory basically live for quasi-ironic enjoyment of poo poo like that (she and sookie went through the twyckem house museum something like 5 times for gods sake)

I can buy the other townies loving it but Sophie/Carole King's character was always played as way more cynical than that, she felt like a pod person here. And they picked the wrong song for her to do at the piano :(

Lucania
May 1, 2009
The best part for me was Lorelai's call to Emily where she finally gives her a great Richard story. I missed Richard/EH. :(

Emily's fight with Lorelai in the first episode was brutal and I wish someone had actually done that with Rory. She's still an entitled brat ten years later.

I always thought that the four last words were a version of what actually was said. The scene where Rory was grilling Christopher about leaving Lorelai to do the single motherhood thing on her own basically confirmed it for me.

Paris slamming the bathroom door shut with her high heels was perfect. That and the look on her face when she heard Hep Alien play.

The musical went on way too long.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Rory could have turned the gazette into something more modern. I was sure that was where the story was heading. Of course she's too good for a local paper in her mind.

It is weird that Lorelei hated the musical. She loves terrible townie poo poo like Taylor's museum.

About 90% of Melissa McArthy's weirdness was that squeaky voice. Is that her real voice? Surely she could bring it down a little.

Life and Death brigade bit was loving cringe worthy. I thought it was a dream sequence for ages. And if course they do the steampunk look. Fresh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
My one major problem with the Revival is that since it was trying to do so much in so little time (And a major cast member couldn't make it back for the majority of the shoot) we're really Gilmore focused, and while that is the name of the show Lane used to be one of the main characters and her problems got a lot of screentime during the show so to see her regulated to like 3 scenes and standing in the background really bums me out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

How on Earth could anyone who watched the series think this was an assassination of Rory? Once she graduates from Chilton (and even a bit before that) she is a genuinely horrific human being. She cheats on every boyfriend (at least emotionally) and embodies the worst excesses and privileges of both her mom and her grandparents.

Rory is a total disaster and ASP rightly doubled-down on it.

In my opinion, I can understand Rory being a total disaster. But it would make a lot more sense being a disaster as a 20-something just out of college (like at the end of season 7) rather than a 30-something. Not that people can't have midlife crises at all, but it really does appear Rory has been bumming around people's various homes and Stars Hollow for the past 13 years without any real persistent job at all. I'm not saying this is necessarily out of character for Rory, but it really seems like ASP wrote this 13 years ago and did the most bare-bones tweaking for it to make sense in 2016.

Notably, the stupid loving "do you want to have a kid?" storyline with Luke and Lorelai was horrible. Again, it probably made sense 13 years ago. Having that conversation when you're 9 years into a relationship is really astounding.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My one major problem with the Revival is that since it was trying to do so much in so little time (And a major cast member couldn't make it back for the majority of the shoot) we're really Gilmore focused, and while that is the name of the show Lane used to be one of the main characters and her problems got a lot of screentime during the show so to see her regulated to like 3 scenes and standing in the background really bums me out.

I agree to an extent, but it was nice at least one character was given a happy ending. I mean gently caress, they had Paris freak out over the Tristan stand-in.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Winter to Summer were all great, with maybe Spring being the weakest with some weird pacing issues. Fall is some next level poo poo and it feels like the long-awaited present to every die-hard Gilmore Girls fan out there. What a lovely, amazing journey this has been to get here.

Couldn't agree more! So many feelings came rushing back during Fall... I didn't want it to end, but what a way to go out! Full circle indeed. As long as we waited for it, I'm not ready for it be over and will definitely be rewatching (not the musical).

I thought it was the funeral that would get to me, but it was actually Rory going through the empty house and remembering moments with her grandparents, and Richard at his desk made me lose it.

Oh lord, that entire scene had me in tears... Especially with Sam Phillips and all those "La-la"s setting the tone for most of the major Gilmore moments.

SEX BURRITO posted:

And of course the end montage with the wedding set to the song Reflecting Light was when the proper crying began. The original scene at Liz's wedding always made me well up.

YES. So much yes... As soon as the song started, it felt like coming home. :3:

Obviously, everyone had their own version of how they wanted it play out, but it was ASP's vision and I'm just happy they brought it back. :)

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

That sure was a show about flaunting wealth. I thought it couldn't get any worse and then they trash Taylor's store and throw money on the floor as they leave. What a fun night on the town!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As someone whose pretty much obsessed with Gilmore Girls (it's been my go-to show pretty much since it came out) I genuinely loved the revival. It definitely felt different, but that's by no means a bad thing and helped them feel more like movies. I welled up a few times (although one was happy tears from when Lorelai got the phone call that Emily took her advice at the end of Winter) and laughed just as hard as I did during the show's run. Emily's arc was fantastic and it's nice to see her and Lorelai make peace. Rory is indeed pretty terrible, but at least she acknowledges it. And Lorelai...oof. Lorelai. Watching her turn into bits and pieces of Emily was fun and interesting to watch, especially because she didn't realize it. And I absolutely loved the newspaper dropping montag, I thought it was absolutely hysterical and Jackie Hoffman will always be a treasure. Rory's night out felt a little out of character (or at least the raiding of Doose's) but I've had a pretty poo poo life myself and understand that sometimes you need a night out with people who know you best to pick you right back up.

Paris was, and always will be, absolutely flawless. I love her entire breakdown in Spring, especially "Are you and Doyle having an affair?" and the scene with Francie.

The few nods to the fanbase seemed nice (like the reveal of Mr. Kim), if a little out of place. And it's nice to see Michel as more than a one-note character while still keeping that high level of snark. "Now...your name is Molly. Why?" is brilliant.

I wish to hell they'd had more Sookie. I always forget her voice changed a few years back (I can't remember exactly what caused it, though) but it being Melissa McCarthy, I understand why they didn't have a lot of time with her. I did like her one scene.

And yes, the musical was pretty terrible and cringeworthy, but Lorelai should have loved it for that reason. But that last song was amazing.

Kelly Bishop and Lauren Graham did their best work together. I've always loved their chemistry and they brought their A games the entire time. And every scene they had together felt earned.

Also, was that Rose Abdoo doing double duty as Gypsy and Berta or were my eyes playing tricks on me? I noticed it when Gypsy smiled during the newspaper drop. It's amazing what just a hair change can do to someone's appearance. And if so, the entire arc of no one knowing what Berta's speaking is a great nod to Abdoo's career of playing pretty much every ethnicity under the sun.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yep, that was Rose playing Berta.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Speaking of hair changes- I barely recognized Miss Patty.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Lucania posted:

The musical went on way too long.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Life and Death brigade bit was loving cringe worthy. I thought it was a dream sequence for ages.

These but add on
- everything paris. i love the character but she was ill-served here. also did we really get a 10 minute phone call from doyle mad about his film review getting overedited?
- everything jackson and sookie (see above)
- the musical. i know i already quoted it but seriously it was like 40 mins
- everything jess, if this really is the end
- everything april. oh wow there are parallels between rory and luke's daughter y'all! except there aren't at all
- the 30something club. no payoff, no point

i know they needed to do fanservice but is it really fanservice just to have a dumbass cameo where they look like the characters on their current shows and can't quite get back into the role no matter how much the script tries to remind them how? ("hey dean. CORNSTARCH!" "try to pay for it this time!" exeunt)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not to mention they did nothing to undo the damage S7 did to her while making zack look like approximately the saddest sack to ever live, which while not untrue to the character still felt off. i agree that this clearly would have been better if they had an traditional season's worth of episodes to flesh things out, but given how much time they wasted here maybe even that isn't the case. but hey there's lane's dad! zoinks!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

These but add on
- everything paris. i love the character but she was ill-served here. also did we really get a 10 minute phone call from doyle mad about his film review getting overedited?
- everything jackson and sookie (see above)
- the musical. i know i already quoted it but seriously it was like 40 mins
- everything jess, if this really is the end
- everything april. oh wow there are parallels between rory and luke's daughter y'all! except there aren't at all
- the 30something club. no payoff, no point

i know they needed to do fanservice but is it really fanservice just to have a dumbass cameo where they look like the characters on their current shows and can't quite get back into the role no matter how much the script tries to remind them how? ("hey dean. CORNSTARCH!" "try to pay for it this time!" exeunt)

Not to mention they did nothing to undo the damage S7 did to her while making zack look like approximately the saddest sack to ever live, which while not untrue to the character still felt off. i agree that this clearly would have been better if they had an traditional season's worth of episodes to flesh things out, but given how much time they wasted here maybe even that isn't the case. but hey there's lane's dad! zoinks!

I agree with basically all of this except I loved the musical.

As a massive massive GG fan I've gotta say this fell pretty flat after thinking about it for even a minute

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Im glad that Christopher looks miserable.

What was the deal with the therapist? Is the payoff that she's a crazy broadway person?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As happy as I was with this revival, and as happy as I would be if they did another 'Year in the Life' (though with how the final words played out, them going any further with this show runs the risk of them rushing poo poo, short of it getting proper seasons again or at least the guarantee of more than of these four long episode seasons) watching it made me really, really want Netflix to fund more seasons of Bunheads.

Turkish Delightful
Dec 20, 2006

kwak kwak
"Firm sperm agreement"

Those six hours may have made up for the entire year 2016 in one whimsically delightful fell swoop.

I was absolutely giddy at the Across the Universe bit as it's one of my favorite movies. Cheesy it certainly was- but appreciated from this girl. My new life goal: Heel kick a door closed. I'm looking forward to hearing the Gilmore Guys opinions; and I'm genuinely surprised at how much it felt like I had really MISSED these characters. Still a proud member of Team Jess!

Also did Sookie join the vegetable cult because I worry that where Liz is and Sookie went...sound rather similar. I am only half kidding.

SEX BURRITO posted:

And of course the end montage with the wedding set to the song Reflecting Light was when the proper crying began. The original scene at Liz's wedding always made me well up.

Yes yes yes! So many heartstring tugs.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Turkish Delightful posted:

Those six hours may have made up for the entire year 2016 in one whimsically delightful fell swoop.

Let's not get too carried away here. After the election, I tried to make a list of all the things to look forward to, and it looked like this:

1. Gilmore Girls

Now I've run out of things.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Does anybody know what exactly happened with Melissa McCarthy's voice/face? I feel like around Bridesmaids something subtle changed with her face that I've never been able to put my finger on, and her voice got a lot raspier. I've been thinking it was just my imagination but watching this revival back to back with the original show and it's super obvious

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That door kick by Paris might be the best thing I've seen on the tv all year.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

redbackground posted:

That door kick by Paris might be the best thing I've seen on the tv all year.

Made better by following the flourish with which she opened her empty briefcase.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Let's not get too carried away here. After the election, I tried to make a list of all the things to look forward to, and it looked like this:

1. Gilmore Girls

Now I've run out of things.

:same:

i really had all my eggs in this basket and it really had to be basically perfect. so whatever maybe it's me being a mess that left me hypercritical of YitL. or maybe it was how the first ep and a half got the feel so right only to veer off course. idk.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Also how was Kirk not involved/the male lead in a full-blown Stars Hallow musical.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

redbackground posted:

Also how was Kirk not involved/the male lead in a full-blown Stars Hallow musical.

Cause he's busy being a dad to Petal!

• Locked thread