Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I guess I'm the opposite from most of you guys since I liked Winter and Spring the most out of the four and it seemed to just fall off from there.
It did definitely have the "written ten years ago" vibe to it though, mainly in Rory's couch surfing. If I tried to pull that poo poo at 32, bumming around at my friends' houses and asking if I could store my boxes there, they would tell me to gently caress myself, and they would be well justified because you should be past that kind of poo poo by the time you're in your thirties.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And I absolutely loved the newspaper dropping montag, I thought it was absolutely hysterical

That part seemed so weird to me. I didn't really care for the newspaper arc at all since it went absolutely nowhere, but the fact that Rory made a big deal about ***saving the paper*** and then proceeded to poo poo all over everything people liked about it and couldn't even be bothered to do a thing like "having it delivered properly" made it even worse.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The gazette thing made her look utterly incompetent. She ran the Yale daily news, yet couldn't manage distribution of a small town paper. She could have put it online or brought it up to date in some way while still keeping the traditions.

So, there's a petition online to make another series. What are people's thoughts on this? Personally, I feel that the show is over now. Without the Luke and Lorelei tension, the Lorelei storylines will all be about the inn or crazy townie stuff which can get dull if overused. I honestly can't be bothered to watch an entire new season of Rory trying to decide whether to tell Logan about the baby and going back and forth with Jess.

Can't we have more Bunheads instead?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SEX BURRITO posted:

Can't we have more Bunheads instead?

Yes this. I'm rewatching it right now and I need more. I wonder if the show would have found a bigger audience with a different name.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The problem was that it ran on that 700 Club channel

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SEX BURRITO posted:

So, there's a petition online to make another series. What are people's thoughts on this? Personally, I feel that the show is over now. Without the Luke and Lorelei tension, the Lorelei storylines will all be about the inn or crazy townie stuff which can get dull if overused. I honestly can't be bothered to watch an entire new season of Rory trying to decide whether to tell Logan about the baby and going back and forth with Jess.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what there's left to say since they seemed to make a concentrated effort to wrap up everyone's storyline except Rory's (to which they seemed to make an effort to do the opposite), and I have no interest in a story centered around Rory.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

raditts posted:

I guess I'm the opposite from most of you guys since I liked Winter and Spring the most out of the four and it seemed to just fall off from there.
It did definitely have the "written ten years ago" vibe to it though, mainly in Rory's couch surfing. If I tried to pull that poo poo at 32, bumming around at my friends' houses and asking if I could store my boxes there, they would tell me to gently caress myself, and they would be well justified because you should be past that kind of poo poo by the time you're in your thirties.

That part seemed so weird to me. I didn't really care for the newspaper arc at all since it went absolutely nowhere, but the fact that Rory made a big deal about ***saving the paper*** and then proceeded to poo poo all over everything people liked about it and couldn't even be bothered to do a thing like "having it delivered properly" made it even worse.

I completely agree with this. It fell off a cliff after the first two

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I rank Gilmore Girls as one of my favorite shows. I loved all four of these. The only complaints, which are minor, is that the first one felt too rushed. The second is that Sookie should have been in all four episodes and had a much larger role. I followed the initial spat of "being too busy", but thought that was her agent feeling she was above it all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder of MM herself actively did not want to come back, but she didn't want to deal with the negative press she'd probably get. I would love to know what actually happened there.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
About the ending: Wookie baby. My wife glared at me when I said that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

redbackground posted:

I wonder of MM herself actively did not want to come back, but she didn't want to deal with the negative press she'd probably get. I would love to know what actually happened there.

She's the most high profile actor next to the guy that plays Doyle. She probably wanted a lot of money or just a short scene.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
looks like I wasn't the only one who thought this was total garbage:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13765088/gilmore-girls-year-in-the-life-review-netflix

The new Gilmore Girls is weirdly hostile toward fans, women, and storytelling in general

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

oliwan posted:

looks like I wasn't the only one who thought this was total garbage:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13765088/gilmore-girls-year-in-the-life-review-netflix

The new Gilmore Girls is weirdly hostile toward fans, women, and storytelling in general

The Park Rangers were incredibly sexist. That really stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I really don't remember the original GG series being overtly sexist towards women.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really offensively bad, and the more I think about, the worse it gets. Maybe it's because TV has gotten so much better over the past 10 years that I feel I shouldn't have to be subjected to this kind of uncomfortable and unpleasant watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All your posts have been the same. Time to walk away from it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks friend. I'm trying.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

She's the most high profile actor next to the guy that plays Doyle. She probably wanted a lot of money or just a short scene.

I'm pretty sure Melissa McCarthy is a bigger star than the dude who plays Doyle

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Popelmon posted:

Yes this. I'm rewatching it right now and I need more. I wonder if the show would have found a bigger audience with a different name.

God yes. Bunheads is a dreadful name. Almost as bad as The Return of Jezebel James. Gilmore Girls is a twee title but at least it's catchy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mandrel posted:

I'm pretty sure Melissa McCarthy is a bigger star than the dude who plays Doyle

Physically bigger, maybe.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Mu Zeta posted:

Booooooooo.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Philthy posted:

Or she's a breeder for Paris

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Park Rangers were incredibly sexist. That really stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I really don't remember the original GG series being overtly sexist towards women.

I don't think it was sexist. I live near DuPont forest, where parts of The Hunger Games and that summer some people capitalized on that and did tours. I needed a little extra cash so I worked on it. And the sheer amount of people who'd see a bow and say "OMG Katniss is based on me!" (sometimes actually with the OMG instead of of oh my god) and getting surprised when they actually have to go in the forest and lose cell service and can't Instagram their entire journey. After a while it gets under your skin and you can't really stop the snark from coming out. I saw it as something like that.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Mu Zeta posted:

First,

Second,

Danny Strong is a big industry name for the writing work he's done but that doesn't make him an on-screen star in comparison to Melissa McCarthy. She was something like the third highest paid actress over the past couple years and basically has her own brand of comedy movies right now akin to the way people talked about Adam Sandler movies or Chris Farley movies.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't think it was sexist. I live near DuPont forest, where parts of The Hunger Games and that summer some people capitalized on that and did tours. I needed a little extra cash so I worked on it. And the sheer amount of people who'd see a bow and say "OMG Katniss is based on me!" (sometimes actually with the OMG instead of of oh my god) and getting surprised when they actually have to go in the forest and lose cell service and can't Instagram their entire journey. After a while it gets under your skin and you can't really stop the snark from coming out. I saw it as something like that.

It is entirely that. Like the ranger didn't give the practiced hiker lady any poo poo.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
Lorelai went through chefs the way her mother went through maids.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Rachel Ray's acting with her hands was incredibly annoying.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Lucania posted:

Lorelai went through chefs the way her mother went through maids.

and Emily for once kept a maid, and even took in her family like how Lorelai takes in every stray person who needs it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I love the people I'm seeing on facebook/reddit/twitter that think this is new or 'character assassination' for Rory. The only person she didn't cheat on in the show was Jess. Hell, she even had her first time with a married man. Rory is a massive gently caress up and that's why she's interesting. A lot more talent then her mother but a much much bigger screw up. Lorelai 2 is Lorelai: Harder.

Except it's done to such a degree, and with few to no repercussions in the 4 Netflix episodes, that it really begs the question of whether Amy Sherman-Palladino actually wants us to look at this as a negative. Rory strings along a guy while routinely cheating on him, and this is played for laughs. When she tells her mother about both the one night stand and the affair, she jokingly gets called slutty, and that's the end of the conversation. This show isn't Always Sunny, the plotlines shouldn't be coming from the characters being unrepentant assholes.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I think the Gilmore Girls have always acted pretty entitled and were basically worshipped by Stars Hollow. Rory was especially told she was a special snowflake her whole life and never really figured out how to live up to the expectations everyone had for her. She never made back up plans and maybe also never really fully believed in her own abilities. A better journalist would have nailed that blogger job or
Probably even the book job but Rory just didn't really know how and really probably had 10 years of middling success that weighed down her confidence.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Baronash posted:

Except it's done to such a degree, and with few to no repercussions in the 4 Netflix episodes, that it really begs the question of whether Amy Sherman-Palladino actually wants us to look at this as a negative. Rory strings along a guy while routinely cheating on him, and this is played for laughs. When she tells her mother about both the one night stand and the affair, she jokingly gets called slutty, and that's the end of the conversation. This show isn't Always Sunny, the plotlines shouldn't be coming from the characters being unrepentant assholes.

I agree with this, which is what makes me even more convinced that ASP wrote these four episodes a decade ago or made some attempt to re-do season 7. A 23 year old doing the things Rory was doing is more pitiable

Not to mention these 4 episodes hit the same beats season 7 did

Again as a huge huge huge fan of the show these 4 were really drat bad and ASP should be a bit embarrassed at fumbling the ball so badly in an attempt to revisit a season she wasn't a part of

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Funhilde posted:

I think the Gilmore Girls have always acted pretty entitled and were basically worshipped by Stars Hollow. Rory was especially told she was a special snowflake her whole life and never really figured out how to live up to the expectations everyone had for her. She never made back up plans and maybe also never really fully believed in her own abilities. A better journalist would have nailed that blogger job or
Probably even the book job but Rory just didn't really know how and really probably had 10 years of middling success that weighed down her confidence.

They never really give the impression that the world outside Stars Hollow chewed her up and spit her out though. It doesn't seem like she's had 10 years of failure, it seems like it's been 10 years of her loving about and acting all Common People while jet-setting around on trust fund money.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I fully agree with everyone that says this feels like ASP's attempt to re-do season seven. But ten years too late. So that nothing feels right.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only story arc that felt enjoyable and fulfilling was Emily's, aka the only arc that was definitely newly crafted. This is really annoying because—beside the fact characters being in developmental stasis for 10 years later feels weird and unsatisfying for obvious reasons—IIRC ASP specifically said she wouldn't ignore season 7 while writing the revival. But then she proceeded to do exactly that. It's just...argh.

So yeah, chalk me up as another person that thought the revival was a major letdown. The worst traits of the characters and the series were turned up to eleven, and the charm and wit largely gone. Then after all that, it didn't even end with a real resolution. I finished the revival feeling like I'd just watched a shittier, alternate universe S7 re-do, rather the fun mini-sequel I'd been so excited for.

Seriously, the fact this managed to be worse than S7—which was majorly flawed—is impressive.

On the plus side, Emily and Paris continue to be goddesses, and Emily's storyline really was great.

---

Totally different note: People talking about some weirdly misogynist undertones/vibes aren't wrong IMHO. Gilmore Girls has always had an issue with being judgy about women that aren't Lorelei or Rory, or just like them. Snide about Emily having a traditional feminine role with the DAR etc, catty about working moms with Sherry's babyshower episode etc, judgy about women who exercise, wear more makeup, etc etc.

It's annoying, but it's been there from the beginning. One would have hoped the writers had grown out of that by now, but apparently not.

Anyway, for all my bitching, I really am a big fan of the original run. I'm glad for those of y'all that enjoyed the revival, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

FoxTerrier posted:

On the plus side, Emily and Paris continue to be goddesses, and Emily's storyline really was great.

But even with Paris, someone who seemed strong and established and confident in herself in her college years, basically had it all fall apart when her loving high school crush is seen for like 5 seconds. I'm fine with her and Doyle breaking up for whatever reason, but her little meltdown was, I think, was poorly written. It is like ASP really didn't want too many characters to be successful and have happy endings.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Was Emily not going to show up at the wedding? I don't know where in CT Stars Hallow is supposed to be (I got the impression that it was in left-half of the state), but staying all the way out in Nantucket the night before seems like un-Emily-like bad planning.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 29, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

"Rory Gilmore is not a good journalist" - The Atlantic

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would also fall asleep listening to millenials talks about why they wait in line.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Philthy posted:

That's not really possible though, is it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wookiee baby was Spring, and the show ended in fall. I can guarantee she was not 6 months pregnant at the end there. It's pretty clearly supposed to be Logan's kid. Because Logan is her Christopher, and Luke is her Logan.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

thrawn527 posted:

That's not really possible though, is it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wookiee baby was Spring, and the show ended in fall. I can guarantee she was not 6 months pregnant at the end there. It's pretty clearly supposed to be Logan's kid. Because Logan is her Christopher, and Luke is her Logan.

It's a fun theory but the time really doesn't add up. She would absolutely be showing something by the conversation with Christopher. And as much as people lately have been painting Rory as terrible, I sincerely doubt she would consume alcohol while pregnant. After finishing Fall I went back and re-watched to see if she participated in the consumption of alcohol with the boys, and she is in fact seen drinking.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When she walked past the people waiting in the non line, I was incredulous. That's a huge thing for such a piece and it literally fell in her lap! She's an idiot.

Also lol I'm broke but hang on I have to make a transatlantic round trip tomorrow

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interview with ASP on TVLine all but confirms that the show was sketched out at least mentally 10 years ago to no surprise.

Spoilers afoot of course. Nothing massively interesting but I didn't know she had a new pilot coming up, so that's fun.

http://tvline.com/2016/12/01/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-amy-sherman-palladino-interview-final-four-words/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel'. Oh for gently caress sake. Someone needs to stop ASP from naming her own shows.

• Locked thread