Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Posting excerpts from an earlier draft of the revival script. It would have been better if this one had been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Into Episode 3, I find that I like Luke, Marcel and Kirk in that they all seem quirky in their own way, yet still lovable. The play seemed so much and I think Lorelai's reaction mimicked my own, in that the play and the show seems a bit much: The revolving chefs at the Dragonfly and even being able to get these celebrity chefs, the gazette only appearing to have two employees, Rory not breaking up her boyfriend and basically avoiding him along her claiming poverty though stating that she has items in three different states...that doesn't happen to someone that's broke, in my opinion. I like the banter but the situations seem overblown due to the character's own doing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Marcel?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Not to mention Rory's trust fund that was set up for her by her great grandmother, she was set up to get 250k when she turned 25. She also essentially has had a free line of cash to Christopher when one of his relatives died and he became a millionaire back in season 5 I think?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Plus whatever Richard would have left her when he died.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The concierge at the Dragonfly...I thought that was his name, but I'm not sure.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Michel.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah essentially though there's a real disconnect between Rory's apparent lack of funds and the reality that she is flying back and forth to england seemingly every few weeks and her lifestyle is obviously not of someone suffering in any way. She may be feeling emotionally and professionally broke instead and projecting that outwards towards the people she knows.

As someone who's always vacillated between tolerating and disliking Michel's character, he was surprisingly enjoyable in the revival. I'm betting they had to transfer a lot of Sookie's storyline over to him because of the lack of Melissa McCarthy.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 12, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TVLINE: How was Rory able to afford all of that air travel?
ASP: A lot of it was points. When you travel that much you have points. She’s flying economy. She’s flying JetBlue on a deal. And she’s using her points. We didn’t really focus on money because, quite frankly, I don’t think anyone’s worried that Rory is going to starve. Between Emily Gilmore, Lorelai Gilmore… Logan… there were so many [well-off] people in her life that would’ve made sure she didn’t fall through the cracks.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
lol gently caress off amy

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I've been watching GG for the first time recently. I've thought Dean was lame since the first shot he was in -- I'm up to Season 5 now and just started a week and a half ago.

It was a delight to see Dean described as "A garbage bag pretending to be a human being" in the OP hahaha

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

EL BROMANCE posted:

TVLINE: How was Rory able to afford all of that air travel?
ASP: A lot of it was points. When you travel that much you have points. She’s flying economy. She’s flying JetBlue on a deal. And she’s using her points. We didn’t really focus on money because, quite frankly, I don’t think anyone’s worried that Rory is going to starve. Between Emily Gilmore, Lorelai Gilmore… Logan… there were so many [well-off] people in her life that would’ve made sure she didn’t fall through the cracks.

It felt like lazy writing to be honest. Rory is too broke to buy underwear or run a car. Then five minutes later she's looking for a place in Queens with a separate writing area so she can work on The Gilmore Girls (cringe). There's no way Richard would have left her without a decent inheritance. And I was guessing Logan was paying for the transatlantic trips.

Rory really should have moved back to her 50 thousand dollar sex house.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

landgrabber posted:

I've been watching GG for the first time recently. I've thought Dean was lame since the first shot he was in -- I'm up to Season 5 now and just started a week and a half ago.

It was a delight to see Dean described as "A garbage bag pretending to be a human being" in the OP hahaha

Yeah he goes from Fine to Angry but understandably so to "that creepy guy that follows his ex-girlfriend home just so he can gently caress her instead of going home to his wife."

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah he goes from Fine to Angry but understandably so to "that creepy guy that follows his ex-girlfriend home just so he can gently caress her instead of going home to his wife."

I realized it was unreasonable at first but the dance episode really made me dislike him! He's throwing a hissy fit because a girl that's never had a boyfriend before isn't sure if she wants to say I love you or not? That's kind of ridiculously unfair.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah that is some lazy rear end poo poo. I was hoping that it was intentional, another aspect of Rory's character to show the disconnect she has between trust fund poor and reality poor (for fucks sake her rant with Jess goes, I have no job! I have no car! I have no underwear! and we clearly see her driving a new model Prius every time she shows up at the grandparents' house).

I feel bad for Padalecki. His character in season 1 was fine, and then they dumbed him down considerably to make him less of a match for Jess, and then just destroyed him completely in seasons 4/5.

landgrabber posted:

I realized it was unreasonable at first but the dance episode really made me dislike him! He's throwing a hissy fit because a girl that's never had a boyfriend before isn't sure if she wants to say I love you or not? That's kind of ridiculously unfair.

Yeah I always found that a weird plot, like yeah he's a really great boyfriend at first that does all sorts of cool things like build a car for his girl and read all the obscure books she throws at him, but the way the argument was structured, Rory came off as the bad girl because at some point she had to be obligated to say I Love You back? There's really no reasonable situation where someone should be pressured into saying that, and the show makes her come off like she's in the wrong.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 12, 2016

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah that is some lazy rear end poo poo. I was hoping that it was intentional, another aspect of Rory's character to show the disconnect she has between trust fund poor and reality poor (for fucks sake her rant with Jess goes, I have no job! I have no car! I have no underwear! and we clearly see her driving a new model Prius every time she shows up at the grandparents' house).

I feel bad for Padalecki. His character in season 1 was fine, and then they dumbed him down considerably to make him less of a match for Jess, and then just destroyed him completely in seasons 4/5.

Yeah I think I noticed this too. It's like he became a little bit dumber in between each scene he was in. Irresponsibly marrying a character and then making him the biggest loving rear end in a top hat by cheating on his wife felt like taking weird pleasure in destroying a character that had initially been written to be an exact match with Rory -- like when he goes to Movie Night with Rory and Lorelai in Season 1 and totally fits in. His only development over the series was becoming a dumber and worse person.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
They had to find some justification for Rory to go off with Jess. Turning Dean into a big dumbie dumbdumbs was a lot quicker than having them naturally grow apart. Same thing with Dean's wife who went from a nice local girl to a shrill gold-digging harpie.

The whole Dean marriage was weird. Did his wife even have a job or any life of her own? How did they even afford to move out?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Dean clearly saw Rory more as a trophy than anything. I liked him fine until the first breakup, and after that it was made abundantly clear time and again that she was his prize and he doesn't like losing. And the codependence and obsession gets really unhealthy in seasons 4 and 5, and his final episode of the main series has him being a straight up rear end in a top hat.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
honestly i retroactively like the series less as a result of the revival. i'm not sure i even like it anymore.

like i know in my head that i should probably watch it again but the idea of doing it is absolutely exhausting to me at this point

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

honestly i retroactively like the series less as a result of the revival. i'm not sure i even like it anymore.

like i know in my head that i should probably watch it again but the idea of doing it is absolutely exhausting to me at this point

I'm on my first watch-through and what's kept me liking it was how comfortable a show it is to just sit and kinda let it be with you. I've watched almost 5 seasons in like a week and a half.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SEX BURRITO posted:

They had to find some justification for Rory to go off with Jess. Turning Dean into a big dumbie dumbdumbs was a lot quicker than having them naturally grow apart. Same thing with Dean's wife who went from a nice local girl to a shrill gold-digging harpie.

The whole Dean marriage was weird. Did his wife even have a job or any life of her own? How did they even afford to move out?

I'm following along as my wife and she watches and the whole Dean stuff was really weird. Like he goes from this sort of simple but really considerate boyfriend to really dumb and bordering on obsessive. The marriage thing was weird too because they spend like a whole season setting up his wife as really worthless (wanting a bigger house and other things but not holding any sort of job of her own) and then as soon as he cheats on her she's portrayed as way more sympathetic.

The show in general does a horrible job of setting up character departures, especially people that happen to be in relationships with either of the main characters. They're either suddenly written as dumb as rocks (Dean) or just unceremoniously dropped (Rory's teacher that her mom was engaged to and the guy that was her dad's business partner).

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Are Rory's friends supposed to be likable? Watching episode 4 of the revival and they buy a club, apparently buy downtown Stars Hollow so that they can golf on rooftops, play in a grocery store; buy all the rooms at a bed and breakfast and even stating that you'd lend the use of a house for Rory to write in, so casually... I guess it's supposed to be endearing but their characters seem grating at least to me .

Lorelai's memory of her dad was great.

Does Rory hate her dad? He also seems to be painted as a tragic figure in this last episode. I know nothing about him aside from this revival and he seemed like a decent enough guy. It seems like Rory's questions could and should have been asked earlier if she had tension with her dad throughout the series.

Emily seems delightful with her banter.

Huh...Is Rory meeting all of her boyfriends in this last revival episode? It just seem so contrived. I liked the ending sequence after "Open Me", it was all quite sweet. Glad I watched the revival but 7 seasons of this seems like to much for a newcomer like me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TV Zombie posted:

Glad I watched the revival but 7 seasons of this seems like to much for a newcomer like me.

It's because you watched the ending before the beginning and spent most of it wondering about things the series established. Of course 7 seasons of context lacking fan service seems to much, except that's not actually what the show was. I mean, you probably shouldn't go back and watch it, but if you were interested in Gilmore Girls you should've started with the first season and not the reunion victory lap.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah as much as I am a proponent of the revival, it really does pale in comparison to seasons 1-5. It's like a concentrated dose of the show for better or worse.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I can't imagine watching the revival without context from the series. I'd think it'd be insufferable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A few people seem to have done it. I guess the title makes it seem inviting, but yeah it's the wrong decision.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Part of the reason why I loved the original series was that it was a nice contrast to the despair of the Bush administration era and the financial system downfall. I have a feeling I'll be doing a re-watch of the series in the coming years.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This thread's characterizations of Dean are pretty surprising to read. He doesn't really get *that* angry when she doesn't return the "I Love You", he reacts like a 16 year old guy would when he becomes vulnerable and gets rejected. And then later when he cheats on Lindsey, that also seemed incredibly believable because of the horrific way Rory dragged him along throughout the entire Jess thing. That doesn't lessen his culpability, but to pretend he's this creepster weirdo dude is really not being fair; Rory is more lecherous of him than the reverse.

I think Rory being a selfish human dumpster fire is basically the only redeeming part of the revival because its the most true thing to the actual series. Rory is a horror show of a human being: she's a terrible friend, she ruins Paris' life, she's emotionally abusive to every boyfriend but Jess, she's selfish, she's unaware and she's incredibly entitled.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
How exactly is she emotionally abusive? And how did she ruin Paris' life?

I mean I agree that she ended up being not that great a person but I don't see those two

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

How exactly is she emotionally abusive? And how did she ruin Paris' life?

I mean I agree that she ended up being not that great a person but I don't see those two

She starts having an emotional affair with Jess the second he gets into town, and then basically gaslights Dean the whole season--Dean probably thought he was going crazy with suspecting she had feelings for Jess. The fact that she goes along with the basket thing is absolutely nuts

She also toys with Logan and acts like a total butthead about his lifestyle when she commiserates with that news startup guy

And with Paris, look at it from her point of view

- Bound for Harvard, doesn't get in, Rory does
- Wants to be class president, can only win with Rory
- Wants to be accepted by her peers as editor of the YDN, but is undermined by Rory

Paris thinks of Rory as her best friend, and Rory never acts like a good friend, regularly leaving Paris in the lurch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Paris acts like a oval office most of the time and I don't see why anyone would be her friend

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Rory wasn't consciously doing anything to hurt Dean. It's high school. People crush on people all the time, whether they're taken or not. It's called puberty.

As for ruining Paris' life...no. Just...no.

Rory is a terrible person but you're making her out to be some kind of malicious monster, which isn't true. She's just narcissistic

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yep, Paris ruined her own chances of getting into Harvard with her hilarious interview where she's speaking like a meth addict. Paris and Rory occasionally bring out the worst and best in each other, and their weird friendship is probably my favorite part of the show except for Emily with everything.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Waffles Inc. posted:

- Bound for Harvard, doesn't get in, Rory does
- Wants to be class president, can only win with Rory
- Wants to be accepted by her peers as editor of the YDN, but is undermined by Rory

Paris thinks of Rory as her best friend, and Rory never acts like a good friend, regularly leaving Paris in the lurch.
None of those things are Rory's fault though. It's actually one of the better things about Rory, that she was able to put up with Paris and be a friend to her despite Paris constantly treating her and everyone else like poo poo. And lol at the idea that not getting in to Harvard and having to go to scummy old Yale instead ruined her life.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Rory is a terrible person but you're making her out to be some kind of malicious monster, which isn't true. She's just narcissistic

She's the worst kind of malicious monster, which is the kind without the self awareness to realize how horrible she is. She's maybe the least self aware character in the series, and that's really saying something

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Rory wasn't consciously doing anything to hurt Dean. It's high school. People crush on people all the time, whether they're taken or not. It's called puberty.

Her being in denial about liking Jess and denying it to Dean is even worse than being shady behind his back. Intentions don't really matter in that scenario. She treated Dean horribly and got really defensive whenever he was like, "um you clearly like Jess"

Honestly good on him for dumping her the way he did--she needed to set him free the moment Jess came to town

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 14, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't know, I don't really have a problem with Rory's behavior with early Dean/Jess stuff because it's teen hormones. She knows Dean is good for her, but has feelings/attractions for Jess, and does what someone like her would do, try to reconcile the two by being friends with one and maintaining a relationship with the other. Yes she is emotionally cheating on Dean, but it's kid stuff and she's in denial about it, and not like she is doing it maliciously. The actual cheating stuff later on is ridiculous though, and equally Dean's fault since he spends the previous season emotionally cheating on Lindsey the same way Rory did to him earlier.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 14, 2016

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hope and vaseline posted:

I don't know, I don't really have a problem with Rory's behavior with early Dean/Jess stuff because it's teen hormones. She knows Dean is good for her, but has feelings/attractions for Jess, and does what someone like her would do, try to reconcile the two by being friends with one and maintaining a relationship with the other. Yes she is emotionally cheating on Dean, but it's kid stuff and she's in denial about it, and not like she is doing it maliciously. The actual cheating stuff later on is ridiculous though, and equally Dean's fault since he spends the previous season emotionally cheating on Lindsey the same way Rory did to him earlier.

I think there's like 2-3 episodes where she's clearly realized she's done with Dean but either strings him along or just straight up avoids him for days at a time (so much so that her mom calls her out on it a few times). It's somewhat understandable since it's her first relationship but it's still a fairly lovely thing to do and it's the first time we're really introduced to how she's not that great of a person.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ouhei posted:

I think there's like 2-3 episodes where she's clearly realized she's done with Dean but either strings him along or just straight up avoids him for days at a time (so much so that her mom calls her out on it a few times). It's somewhat understandable since it's her first relationship but it's still a fairly lovely thing to do and it's the first time we're really introduced to how she's not that great of a person.

Yeah exactly this. Going for ice cream and crashing the car and then going along with Jess trolling Dean are really the two things that stick out as pretty awful. And then her whole reason for wanting the find the bracelet wasn't because she treasured it and thought of Dean when she saw it, she just wanted to avoid a fight.

She treated Dean very, very poorly.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
if you aren't convinced that rory is a complete shithead after a year in the life you just may be an actual resident of stars hollow fyi

though honestly paris is no better but at least she owns how lovely she is, albeit in the worst way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you say terrible things about Paris I will fight you irl

• Locked thread