Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

How long does the Ruthless Aggression era last? I'm curious how PPVs from that era stack up each year.

ruthless aggression is 2002-2007, before the switch to PG in 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Of course it is important to remember that these opinions are subjective and saying any one show is the "best" can never truly be objecti-

MassRafTer posted:

2001: Wrestlemania X7 (The biggest and best wrestling PPV of all time)

.....nevermind :nyoron:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
IYH: Canadian Stampede might not have the most important matches but the crowd is going so nuts throughout most of it that it gets my vote for 1997.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

smh no one mentioned 1999 Heroes Of Wrestling

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

super macho dude posted:

smh no one mentioned 1999 Heroes Of Wrestling

Every time I see clips of that it always blows my mind it's from 1999, production values make it seem like a mid 80's show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I seem to remember Armageddon '02 being really good, but I don't remember what else was good that year.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I seem to remember Armageddon '02 being really good, but I don't remember what else was good that year.

Summerslam.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

sticklefifer posted:

Survivor Series

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

IYH: Canadian Stampede might not have the most important matches but the crowd is going so nuts throughout most of it that it gets my vote for 1997.

It is an extremely good pick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2016: Survivor Series

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

OldTennisCourt posted:

Every time I see clips of that it always blows my mind it's from 1999, production values make it seem like a mid 80's show.

That's because the entire thing was done by people who were mostly familiar with mid 80's wrestling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also my favorite 1994 pick is probably Spring Stampede which is the platonic ideal of PPVs that aren't really that impactful but where almost every match is fun, but I remember SuperBrawl from that year being great too.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder if we were to expand this to include UFC, how many times they would take the top spot. MMA is a different beast from Pro Wrestling of course, but purely from the perspective of a full look, I wonder if they would have a must see.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8PNyyi0kxg

I think this is absent from the Network version unfortunately.

Last time I watched it it was there, which is great because it's the best promo video ever.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
2010: ROH Death Before Dishonor VIII

ROH had a ridiculously good 2010. Which is impressive considering that on-paper they should have really struggled. They lost their biggest names in Danielson and McGuinness to the big two. They hesitated on putting the title on Tyler Black and when they did pull the trigger, the fans completely turned on him (and they later ended up losing him to WWE later that year). Luckily, they had the hottest feud of the last 5 years in Steen/Generico and the Kings of Wrestling became the company's top-drawing champions in lieu of a decent singles champ.

There are a number of PPVs of theirs which would be the best but DBDVIII is one of the best top-to-bottom PPVs I've ever seen. It had the first singles match between Kevin Steen and El Generico since Steen turned heel in December, ending in a gently caress-finish which kept the feud going. It had the Kings of Wrestling and the Briscoes had a brutal NoDQ tag-title match and to top it off, Black/Richards for the World Title one of the top three matches all year. The show was well paced with competent undercard matches spaced out well between the big matches (not making the classic Gabe mistake of burning out the crowd). Only PPV that even came close in 2010 was Final Battle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I wonder if we were to expand this to include UFC, how many times they would take the top spot. MMA is a different beast from Pro Wrestling of course, but purely from the perspective of a full look, I wonder if they would have a must see.

It's so hard to compare. An event like UFC 116 blows away anything wrestling put out that year, and some of the best PRIDE events combine better spectacle than WWE with great fights.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

friendo55 posted:

April 29th - EXTREME RULES

Based on three very memorable matches:
World Hvt Title - Best 2/3 Falls - Sheamus (c) vs Daniel Bryan - It's a match I don't hear talked about enough. It's the match we should've had at WrestleMania instead of the 18-second debacle that was a blessing-in-disguise. Bryan's "YES" and the crowd's "NO" response during the 30-second break between falls still stands out to me, right as those "YES" chants began to grab hold of the fans. Those two were out to steal the show and prove their worth, and drat did they ever.

was this the one where Bryan intentionally disqualifies himself via submission for one fall just so he could injure Sheamus further? because at the time I never saw anyone do that and it seemed loving brilliant

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

was this the one where Bryan intentionally disqualifies himself via submission for one fall just so he could injure Sheamus further? because at the time I never saw anyone do that and it seemed loving brilliant

"Heel DQS himself while beat the babyface up to get a cheap pinfall" is uh, pretty standard for a best of 3 falls match.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

exploded mummy posted:

"Heel DQS himself while beat the babyface up to get a cheap pinfall" is uh, pretty standard for a best of 3 falls match.

I think HHH did that in his Iron Man Match with The Rock back in 2000, too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

It's common in Iron Man, less common in 2/3 falls because it's stupid as hell. It's like bunting if a bunt gave you 9 outs.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I think HHH did that in his Iron Man Match with The Rock back in 2000, too.
That was a cool moment, gets him with the chair shot and immediately gets two falls on The Rock after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

exploded mummy posted:

Minibar was referring to holding onto a submission, which is far less common in those matches.

• Locked thread